Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,610 members, 7,840,450 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court (978 Views)

Photos From Swearing In Of Emeka Ihedioha As Governor Of Imo State / Dorothy Nsonma Ihedioha, Mother Of Emeka Ihedioha, Receives Her Son / Emeka Ihedioha Kneels Down To Greet Goodluck Jonathan (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by Yeskem: 2:43pm On Feb 09, 2020
‘Nothing wey Emeka Ihedioha no go see for Supreme Court’, for some has replaced the jocular, ‘Nothing wey Musa, no go see for gate’ antidote Nigerians use in explaining astonishing happenings. It is somewhat ironic that Emeka Ihedioha, who naturally isn’t associated with jokes and street banter, an individual often accused of walking with a chip on his shoulder and being a little too serious, now is the subject of street and online banter. Beyond the protests held in different parts of the country, the banter around Ihedioha shows how much of a topical issue his ouster at the Supreme Court has become.

On Tuesday January 14, the Supreme Court gave a ruling on the Senator Hope Uzodinma Vs Hon. Emeka Ihedioha case in respect of the Imo gubernatorial election held on March 9 2019. The Supreme Court delivered a verdict which surprised a whole lot of people. Many had taken it for granted that Ihedioha who enjoyed a popular mandate with his victory celebrated on the streets in Owerri, having triumphed at the elections petition tribunal and the Court of Appeal would have his election upheld by the apex court. The reverse was the case as the seven-man panel of the Supreme Court set aside the judgments of both courts and declared Sen. Uzodinma, who was a distant fourth in the March 2019 election as governor.

Imo State governor, Sen. Hope Uzodima
I heard of the Supreme Court ruling just 30 minutes after it was delivered. My mother, who comes from Imo State called from her village to confirm, if rumors that Uzodinma had been declared governor by the Supreme Court was true. I returned my mother’s call after a call to a colleague who covered proceedings at the apex court. He confirmed that Ihedioha had been removed as governor and replaced with Uzodinma. My mother told me her village was in mourning and after many conversations with other relatives, even weeks after the shocking verdict, it is safe to say Ndi Imo may continue to mourn unless the Supreme Court takes another look at its ruling on their state.

So, yes, I am not out to give an impartial, academic opinion on the Supreme Court ruling on the Imo governorship election. I am an interested party, an individual who is strongly connected to Imo, as many steeped in Igbo culture and tradition know that an individual enjoys full rights of a citizen in his/her mother’s village. My mother being an Imo indigene automatically qualifies me as an indigene. I therefore reiterate that my intervention is as commonsensical, as it is partially titled in a push for the prosperity, happiness and welfare of Ndi Imo.

I stand with the overwhelming majority of Imolites, who stoutly reject Uzodinma ‘s leadership as they didn’t vote him in, and support Ihedioha’s audacious return to Supreme Court. The former governor is asking in a motion on notice filled at the Supreme Court, that the court set aside as a nullity the judgment it delivered on January 14. The summary of Ihedioha’s motion urging the Supreme Court to set aside its ruling is that it was fraudulently obtained by Uzodinma.

Read more: http://frontlinenews.com.ng/the-expediency-of-emeka-ihediohas-return-to-supreme-court/

Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by Citytrend: 2:45pm On Feb 09, 2020
I like his gut
Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by Babzrockman: 2:51pm On Feb 09, 2020
Supreme court will either quash his quest for review or give another verdict that Inec may have tampered with the accreditation... Na today

1 Like

Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by chukel(m): 3:49pm On Feb 09, 2020
You failed to tell us your mother is from mbaise.
Ihedioha's case will simply be thrown out.

3 Likes

Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by kahal29: 4:30pm On Feb 09, 2020
cool
Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by yarimo(m): 5:05pm On Feb 09, 2020
IHEDIOHA stop fooling yourself around, your probability of governing imo state from now or forever is . 0 out of 100 % grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by Prompto: 5:14pm On Feb 09, 2020
You case is the case of a no case. Ihedioha will never be governor again in his lifetime mark my words.

1 Like

Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by kahal29: 6:08pm On Feb 09, 2020
yarimo:
IHEDIOHA stop fooling yourself around, your probability of governing imo state from now or forever is . 0 out of 100 % grin grin grin

He doesn't know that... See one of the judgment of the Supreme Court on Judicial Review.

In OBIOHA v. IBERO (1994) 1 NWLR Pt. 322 Pg 503, the applicants sought an order of the Supreme Court to set aside its own judgment on among other grounds that the court's decision was a nullity because the court lacked jurisdiction to decide on and interpret certain documents.

Belgore JSC (as he then was) who read the lead judgment put the law thus at pg 520-521:

"What this court is being asked to do, is to review its judgment, not to correct clerical errors or errors from accidental slip or omission, but to overturn its own judgment already given. This court has consistently refused to be dragged into this pitfall. The purpose of this application is clear, it is an appeal cloaked in the guise of a motion. From the wordings of a motion and the grounds for bringing it, it is manifestly clear that the validity of the judgment of this court as given on 26th February, 1993 is being challenged ...

Once the supreme court has entered judgment in a case, that decision is final and will remain so for ever. The law may in future be amended to affect future issues on the same subject, but for the case decided, that is the end of the matter ... It is emphatically restated that this motion with a double edged sword of alleged powers under the Constitution S. 6 (6)(a) and under the Rules (Order 8 rule 16) should once and for all be nailed in its coffin. The law does not permit this court a double say in the same matter. It either allows or dismisses an appeal, not the two on the same issue. The inherent powers under S. 6 (6) of the Constitution cannot be invoked to reverse a decision already given by this court..."

1 Like

Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by jom28gy(m): 6:11pm On Feb 09, 2020
he will win
Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by garfield1: 6:17pm On Feb 09, 2020
jom28gy:
he will win

In mbaise
Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by solmus: 6:28pm On Feb 09, 2020
cool

Ihedioha got played

Re: The Expediency Of Emeka Ihedioha’s Return To Supreme Court by JusticeSeeker: 6:28pm On Feb 09, 2020
How can someone win with less than 300000 votes in a state you have more than 800000 accredited voters and you'll be claiming that he won overwhelmingly? Ihedioha is a bad man that was helped by PDP card carrying Igbo INEC officials but God who knows all has rejected him.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Newly Constructed Road In Yala L.g.a Of Cross River State / Kano Deaths: 17 Prominent People Who Died In Kano In 24 Hours / The North Is Coming With Destruction, War And Death - Asari Dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.