Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice (765 Views)

Need Advice / Marriage Custom In Akwa Ibom: I Need Advice / Need Advice! Married People Please Come In!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 09, 2020
I don't know who to ask directly but I really need advice. I have been dating my fiance now for about 5 years. We've Been friends for like 7 years. He asked me to marry him December last year and I was really happy. But now there is a turn around not on his part but on his people's part, he told his people he wanted to do an informal introduction where I just go nd meet his parents but they reduced when that my learnt I was Yoruba. My fiance is igbo from Enugu. His mom and dad both refuse and both insists that he must marry someone from Enugu and even from his hometown. He has tried to talk them out of it, he is the first born and the only son of his parents. While we were still dating about a year plus they wanted to marry a wife for him but he refused they kept quite till now. I really don't know what to do. I really love him and he loves me too but I don't want to be the cause of a family problem the parents are talking about tradition and all that it is against their wish and so many others.. his mom is the motivator and the escalator of this matter she doesn't want to hear of it. And even if we end up getting married won't the family hate me what if something happens to him in the future they will blame me even if it's small cough they will say it's me..
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by SUPERPACK: 8:15pm On Feb 09, 2020
I have the video.
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by collinsfhk(m): 8:18pm On Feb 09, 2020
Go to God in prayer. Don't forget; all things work together for good to the that love God ...

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 09, 2020
Leave him alone. Ibos put family first. He will never truly be yours. Speaking from experience. Just let him go jeje. Else be ready to wear your engagement ring till his wedding..... With another lady. An ibo

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by tidalstorm(m): 8:37pm On Feb 09, 2020
Shun love and leave that guy.
Even though he loves you now just know that Blood is thicker than water and love fades.
If the family doesn't like you, Be prepared for physical, emotional and spiritual attacks from them. Run for your life!!!
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by Ernerstdavid55(m): 8:38pm On Feb 09, 2020
My sister reverse is my case the girl is har parents just don’t like me
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by subtlemee(f): 8:51pm On Feb 09, 2020
if you can relocate abroad then do court marriage and live in peace ....when you have like 3kids and it's like 10yrs and they are all old and ridden with arthritis you come back and do traditional rites then they won't have strength to talk

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by Homeboiy: 8:54pm On Feb 09, 2020
My dad said to me,..Anywhere you marry from is not a problem provided the lady is from a good background.

But I know that my mom will never allow her only child to marry outside our tribe.

Babe e no go easy, your guy messed up for not introducing you to them for the past 5 yrs.

I don't attach myself so much in any relationship to avoid this kind stories.

Move on cos I know they cannot let him be free even if he eventually marries you.
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by nlPoster: 9:32pm On Feb 09, 2020
SUPERPACK:
I have the video.

of?
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 10, 2020
Dear Miss phoenix419

419 attached to your moniker first of all doesn't speak good of you and your character. Guess that's one of the reason the parents is apprehensive of your marriage with their son...

That been said.......aside. 5 years...many has dated over 10 years without marrying themselves so. I hardly see such as a reason though the greatest force of all which you term love is not all that necessary these days.

Finally, I am totally against inter-tribal marriages, mix bloods. I don't think you will be submissive to his culture without trying to bring in fringes of your culture which is not acceptable at all.

May God grant you a desired yoruba man in future and soon so that your current fiance will desire you no more.
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by Greatzeus(m): 5:57pm On Feb 10, 2020
subtlemee:
if you can relocate abroad then do court marriage and live in peace ....when you have like 3kids and it's like 10yrs and they are all old and ridden with arthritis you come back and do traditional rites then they won't have strength to talk
Shooo shocked
@ Op, since both parents disagreed,I would say you move on. Your chances are next to nothing, unless the guy wants to turn to prodigal son by following subtlemee advise.
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by giftedben: 4:20pm On Feb 14, 2020
What do you want? Do you want to get married to the guy?
Normally Igbo women with only one son do not like their son marrying far away, because they are afraid their son will never return home.
Re: My Fiance Parents Are Against Our Marriage. Please I Need Advice by Aname: 8:04pm On Feb 14, 2020
It's not a pleasant situation to be in, and to be honest it can go either way: if you successfully integrate into his family and speak the language and all, you will be accepted and loved even beyond your husband.

On the other hand, they may just never like you and accept you.

Best advise is to take it to God. If it's real, it will stand the test of cultures and families.

All the best

(1) (Reply)

When Our Fathers Ruled In Egypt / How To Say I Love You And I Hate You In Yoruba - Video / UK Returns Another Looted Artefacts To Oba Of Benin Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.