Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,453 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban (22881 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Agege-Pen Cinema Bridge Commissioned By Sanwo-Olu And Tinubu (Photos, Video) / Sanwo-Olu And Obafemi Hamzat Used Range Rover Sentinel Cars For Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by nairavsdollars(f): 6:45am On Feb 10, 2020
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos
"To also solve the traffic issue in Lagos is also to talk about the okada issue. Okada is anywhere, everywhere you see.

“So, part of the things we are going to be doing is not to leave anybody behind. People are currently using a system that is working for them. Meaning that you see some okada riders that are branded. That are using smart pays to pay when you finish the journey. We are trying to harmonize all of them and be able to come up with a regulation system where we can account for every okada rider" – Babajide Sanwo-Olu, October 2019

The restrictions on the movement of commercial motorcycles, popularly called ‘okada’ and tricycles (keke) by the Lagos state government is a major topic that will continue to dominate the discussions of Lagosians in days to come. Aside the daily hardship being experienced by many who are affected by the restrictions, the situation has also led to increase in traffic gridlock in the state as many people who usually leave their cars at home now makes use of them.

While many agreed with the government’s position on the restriction as most of the okada riders have constituted themselves a menace with scant or no regard for traffic laws, what has infuriated many Lagosians especially the technologically-savvy youths in the state is the extension of the restriction on bike hailing motorcycle operators in the state such as Opay, Gokada and Max. The these ones, the action of the Lagos state government runs contrary to the promise made by Governor Sanwo-Olu to regulate their activities and not an outright ban.

To others, coming few days after the launch of the Amotekun, the South-West security outfit established to combat insecurity challenges in the region such as kidnapping, banditry and other criminal activities, the okada restriction was largely borne out of the need to make the state secure as many of the riders have been discovered to be foreigners who are from Niger, Chad, Mali and other African countries who easily find their ways to Nigeria owing to the porosity of the borders.

Speaking with our correspondent, Mrs Funke Ajasa, a retired civil servant said the action by the Lagos state government is the best thing to happen to the state as the okada riders who are mostly foreigners have virtually taken over the state from the indigenes.

She however said the state government should have put measures in place to alleviate the sufferings of Lagosians before arriving at the decision.

“I am totally in support of the ban. I usually get afraid every day when I see the huge numbers of these okada riders. Once they come to Lagos it’s like the only job available to them is okada riding. I have a mallam that does mai-ruwa (water seller) for me here in Surulere. Later, I didn’t see him again. The next time I saw him, he was already riding okada as business”.

“When I asked him, he said many of them after making enough gains from water selling; they buy okada and quit the water business. They will now invite some of their friends to come to Lagos and transfer the water business to him. After that one too has made enough money, he buys okada and it goes on and on”.

“Don’t also forget the security risks these guys pose, they move about with knives, daggers and other dangerous weapons. Once one of them is involved in any trouble, they mobilise to the scene and start fighting. God forbid there is a crisis in Lagos, these guys are enough to overrun us. So, the ban is in our best interest”.

“My grouse with Governor Sanwo-Olu is not making adequate plans before initiating the process. Also, we need explanation on why he banned keke and the modern okada riders such as Opay and Gokada . Daily, when I see young children trekking to and fro school in the hot sun, I feel pity for them. The governor should remove keke from the restriction and reconsider Opay and others” she said.

Also speaking, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) advised Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state not to reverse the ban on commercial motorcycles (okada) and tricycles (keke) which is in operation in the state.

He however faulted the state government for not putting measures in place to alleviate the pains of the masses that depend on these as their mode of transportation before the enforcement of the ban.

While faulting the timing, Sagay said the state government should have first cleared the buses which are still lying at the ports, put them on the roads before the announcement on the restrictions was made.

Sagay who lives and has his office in Lagos said though painful, the state government must have taken the decision in the interest of Lagosians as the okada riders have constituted themselves to menace to other road users.

He said the state government must have considered the security of the state before embarking on the decision based on the nefarious activities of the okada riders.

“The ban is right on principle. Lagos state government is not telling us everything. I always say that government knows more than we do. It is not every information available to them they will reveal to members of the public. Lagos state government must have seen some danger signals which makes them act before it is too late. That is my impression on the ban”.

“But I blame them that they did not take little more time to prepare for the consequences. Now they are saying that they have about 600 buses at the ports, they should have cleared those buses first before initiating the ban”.

“They are a government body, they can accelerate the clearance of the buses within a week, put them on the roads and then go ahead with what they want to do”.

“I support the ban on principle. Apart from what I do not know and I am sure it has to do with security of Lagos state people. Apart from that, those okada people are a threat to our existence. They don’t obey any law, they cross red lights”.

“On many occasions, I have had cause to complain to the Commissioner for Transport that okada riders confront me every time on Eko bridge when I am going home. They are so indiscipline, dangerous and reckless in terms of the injuries and pain they cause”.

“They are riding against the traffic, threatening those of us who have the right of way. We have to move aside for them to rush through. As they are doing it, that encourages yellow buses (Danfo) and they too will join them in going against traffic”.

“Right now on Eko bridge, there is no division between the road that takes you into Lagos and the one that takes you out. They are using it as they like and it is so dangerous to other road users”.

“So, I think the ban is a good idea. Let us clear it and remove that danger from our existence. Maybe the timing was a bit abrupt, maybe they should have brought in alternative vehicles to cushion the effect but as far as I am concerned, there should be no going back. They should now rush to provide the alternative buses to cushion the pains of the people” Sagay said.

In his remark, Lagos-based constitutional lawyer, Jiti Ogunye said “I support restriction of commercial motorcycles and tricycles on Lagos roads. They aren’t a viable substitute for an efficient urban mass transit system. I look forward to a total ban in the future, as govt. reorganizes the transportation sector, encompassing rails, roads and water”.

“Although politicians cynically give out motorcycles and tricycles to our people as part of their “poverty alleviation programme”, and millions ride them to eke out a living, we must realise that they are not a sustainable means of tackling the scourge of mass unemployment and pervasive poverty”! he said.

https://www.independent.ng/sanwo-olu-and-politics-of-okada-ban/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by ogbuefi677(m): 6:45am On Feb 10, 2020
They are clamping down on okada and keke,including O ride and gokada which they recently approved operations for.
They're also clamping down on Uber,saying they must get all manners of licences and certifications.
But d rickety danfos are left untouched.
MC Oluomo for Governor.
If you know,you know grin

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Kingrexyl(m): 6:52am On Feb 10, 2020
It's obvious that it's his god father, the yellow teeth jagaban that directed him, perhaps. I won't say it's a bad decision, those okada men are a menace in the society and mostly armed robbers use them for operation, well atleast their would be sanity in lagos and traffic will be less.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by hisexcellency34: 6:53am On Feb 10, 2020
Kudos to the writer of this piece.
. Ban on okada supported. But bring back keke and Gokada, then regulate them

ogbuefi677:
They are clamping down on okada and keke,including O ride and gokada which they recently approved operations for.
They're also clamping down on Uber,saying the must get all manners of licences and certifications.
But d rickety molues are left untouched.
MC Oluomo for Governor.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Gidah: 7:16am On Feb 10, 2020
All Okada riders should start selling pure water because people tend to need water when trekking

10 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by benjamin007: 7:16am On Feb 10, 2020
Dear lagosians you people are getting too fat, it's one effective way Govt use to curb obesity, Oshimole did it to us in Edo state comma see we are lin like Linda ikegi, with time you will get used to it, if you don't get used to kindly pack your load and go to Ibadan ��

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Thelannister: 7:16am On Feb 10, 2020
The best way to address this is to, get a platform for the bikers and have them registered... Lagos Is too congested for motorist alone.

Meanwhile

Very clean Samsung S8 plus for sale 95k

Very clean Hp celeron 6G ram/64G Rom also for sell

Check my profile for whatapp contact

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:18am On Feb 10, 2020
I support the ban on Okada, but Sanwoolu should lift the ban on Keke Napep to ease the suffering of those masses in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Memphitz537(m): 7:18am On Feb 10, 2020
This Okada ban na the beginning of the battle for the Presidency 2023..... Tinubu vs The Cabal!!!
True Story!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by tyup(m): 7:19am On Feb 10, 2020
As a full blooded igbo man I must commend the governor of Lagos and the whole southwest and wish our Governors down east is knowledgeable enough to rule not the embezzlement of large funds they engage in this days sad

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 10, 2020
some of the okadas in trailers

3 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by perfectouchade: 7:20am On Feb 10, 2020
With or without okada in Lagos crimes are still committed, let's demand more security from our governments...police brutality has been on for years and we kept demanding end to this, no government has done anything to stop this but they are quick to end okada...police has done more damaged to properties and lives than okada..we demand a better life from these people in power but dey will never see to that...give food to the masses, don't take food away from them..this is my opinion, yours might be different so don't bring up an argument biko

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by fr3do(m): 7:22am On Feb 10, 2020
Pointing man

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by IamMichaels: 7:22am On Feb 10, 2020
Nice move atleast for better security advantage but you can't trust the security of a place where you have more jobless masses because one way or the other they will have to look for a means to survive which most times may not be accordance to law but heinous, so I think the government should review more and get the gokada's and Co companies where you have whom to hold accountable incase there's any crime and also try to reduce the cost of transportation in their new policy to ease the movement of a common man

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Nanagom: 7:22am On Feb 10, 2020
sad this ban is important for the safety of Lagos

5 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by TallPck1(m): 7:23am On Feb 10, 2020
I believe there is more to this okada/keke ban. We would be looking forward to it.
But the traffic these days is tripple. I'm stuck in traffic as I type now.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Jack500: 7:23am On Feb 10, 2020
I support the okada ban.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by princemillla(m): 7:23am On Feb 10, 2020
Stop saying what you have no knowledge of. Lagos state debunk the claim that they licensed any Okada riding. If they do, why haven’t OPay or Max gone to court to challenge the ban?

ogbuefi677:
They're also clamping down on Uber,saying the must get all manners of licences and certifications.
But d rickety molues are left untouched.
MC Oluomo for Governor.

LASG should hurry up n make those buses available.
Smart business man should also tap into this current challenge by introducing korope the mini bus.

God bless Lagos state

God bless Omo odua worldwide

3 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Iamnobody: 7:23am On Feb 10, 2020
What solution has the Governor provided ?

Bus prices have been inflated because the bus drivers can. People are trekking everyday.

These people are clueless.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Olam09(m): 7:24am On Feb 10, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Kursk2019(m): 7:24am On Feb 10, 2020
benjamin007:
Dear lagosians you people are getting too fat, it's one effective way Govt use to curb obesity, Oshimole did it to us in Edo state comma see we are lin like Linda ikegi, with time you will get used to it, if you don't get used to kindly pack your load and go to Ibadan ��

U no well..
I dey sure say na one remote area for south south u dey dey rant iranu

4 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by 9jaRealist: 7:25am On Feb 10, 2020
Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by ZombieHUNT: 7:28am On Feb 10, 2020
Nanagom:
sad this ban is important for the safety of Lagos

These northerners and even those from Chad.. Niger Republic are all in Lagos claiming Arewa
Occupying shanties and destroying Lagos

11 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by RZArecta(m): 7:29am On Feb 10, 2020
The moment they found out Tinubu was involved in this Okada ban issue, the entire Lagos whipped themselves into position cool
Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Kursk2019(m): 7:29am On Feb 10, 2020
I support the Okada ban.. Wait pains me is that pointius pilate didn't put a measure in place to cater for lagosians... The way those boys now hang around with big wrap of igbo and their eyes looking dreadful ready to steal and even maime if u too shake body.. Now we walk home at late hour and with the risk of being attacked... It's saddening☹️☹️☹️☹️

6 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by hollowpot15684(m): 7:31am On Feb 10, 2020
Okada and keke restriction is still not enough, Lagos government need to restrict old danfos from some certain road and replace them with new buses.
Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by israelmao(m): 7:36am On Feb 10, 2020
If there is any need at all to ban whatever won't government use its initiatives to device other means to keep people affected on their jobs rather than out of jobs?Some solutions create more problems if caution is not applied.
Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by money121(m): 7:38am On Feb 10, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Quality20(m): 7:40am On Feb 10, 2020
if its for security ,why don't Lagos employ we igbos into amotekun, we r more security conscious more than Yoruba n aboki ppl, and besides a large swarth of Lagos is populated largely by we de biafran ppl
Re: Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban by Roon9(m): 7:43am On Feb 10, 2020
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Twenty-Six Nigerian States Record Zero Foreign Investment In 2020 / Donald Duke Cute Christmas Card With His Family / Peter Obi's Supporters Campaign In Markets & Villages In Oyo State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.