Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,617 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo (9138 Views)

APC: Tinubu Got The Message By Oke Umurhohwo / Medical Tourism: Who Is Buhari Talking To? By Oke Umurhohwo / "2023: Tinubu And His Mind Game" by Oke Umurhohwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by AnonPoet: 8:38am On Feb 10, 2020
The proliferation of crime in the country has currently taken a sad turn with multiple cases of kidnapping, banditry and other vices that have turned many Nigerians away from their homes and roads. Those who couldn’t help themselves have escaped into neighbouring Niger Republic where they felt much secured.

However, the general feeling of hopelessness that comes with the state of insecurity in Nigeria meant little or nothing to the man at the helm of the country’s affair. Rather than show empathy and a strong political will to end the cruel fate Nigerians face daily, President Muhammadu Buhari preferred to crack a dry joke on the physical appearance of the Acting Inspector-General of Police, AIG Abubakar Mohammed Adamu.

Buhari threw Nigerians into disbelieve when he responded to questions from journalists on his approach to tame the wave of insecurity in the country by saying “I’ve just seen the IGP, he is losing weight, so I think he’s working hard.” But wait, how is losing weight a measure to determine someone working hard?

It was not enough that Buhari left citizens to their fate and chose to embark on a private visit to the United Kingdom when insecurity ravaged the land but upon his return chose to make jest of the plight of the people. For any government, the security and safety of citizens is a very serious business and I don’t see how such delicate task can be achieved with the country’s head of Police shedding weight but effective strategies.

Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution provides in Section 14(2b) that “The SECURITY (emphasis mine) and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government”, and it is yet unclear how losing weight of someone who heads the country’s internal security structure could ensure compliance. Maybe the President is as usual unaware of this important constitutional responsibility placed on his shoulder or he was just unconcerned that Nigerians are finding it too hard to move freely on our roads and barely sleep with their two eyes closed at night.

In 2015, one of the things that endeared Buhari to a larger number of voters was his promise of ensuring security in the country. Many Nigerians, especially in the North, banked on his military background to eliminate Boko Haram menace, which was the major security threat at that particular time. They concluded that Goodluck Jonathan was indecisive and a strong man, which was the image given to Buhari then, would foster stability and peace.

But down the line, not only does the Boko Haram issue still ravage North East, security challenges such as brutal kidnappings, armed robbery, ritual killings, cult related clashes, herdsmen attacks and banditry, among other crimes have been added to the list of woes confronting the security situation in Nigeria. This has heightened fear of danger across board and the leader of the country who should offer reprieve to the public is busy passing unnecessary compliment.

It is no denying that the president can pass compliments just like every other Nigerians, but such should be observant of his citizens, who he swore to serve. Suggesting that the IGP is working hard because he is losing weight, whereas Nigerians are overwhelmed with fears of insecurity smack insensitivity. Infact, things seem to have taken an awful turn such that the hitherto untouched in the society are no longer spared.

Recently, daring armed men waylaid the board chairman of Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Mohammed Mahmood, along the Kaduna-Abuja Highway. His driver was not so lucky as he was shot dead while the assailants abducted the UBEC chief and his daughter, who were said to have allegedly coughed out N60m before they regained their freedom.

Few days later, similar fate befell an Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Professor, Yinka Adegbehinde, who was broached by gun wielding men near Ikire along the Ife-Ibadan Expressway and whisked away. The orthopaedic surgeon who secured his freedom after his family paid N5.045m to his abductors, rued the country’s internal security mechanism and said “The Federal Government needs to invest more in security; we need to know the identity of people coming in and going out of the town, state and the country at large.”

This is happening simultaneously with violent attacks on farming populated Benue and Plateau states by gun wielding militias, which has reduced farm outputs and resulted in the loss of lives and destruction of valuable properties. The onslaught of bandits have chased many away from their homes in Zamfara, with threatening security incidents in Sokoto and Buhari’s Katsina home state resulting in the abduction of Magaji Gari (of Daura emirate council), who is also the father-in-law to Buhari’s ADC.

Expressing his displeasure to the prevailing state of insecurity in the country, the Emir of Katsina, Abdulmumini Usman said, “Every day I receive reports of kidnapping and killings from the district and village heads,” asking the Minister of Agriculture, Audu Ogbe to “Tell the president (Buhari) that we have to take care of our people, security first. All these programmes, as good as they are, cannot be (successful) without security. Security is first and fundamental.”

The statement aptly captures the terrifying security situation in the country but rather than show commitment dissipated into guaranteeing the safety of citizens, Buhari is busy complimenting the physical appearance of the Police chief, who was honest to admit that with shortage of funds, inadequate equipment and personnel, there is little or nothing the Police can do to curb the rising waves of insecurity in the country.

In essence, Buhari is either unaware of developments around him as Arthur Williams, renowned English actor, singer and playwright must have had him in mind when he concluded that “The fact is, in our society today, most people don’t know what hard work is all about.” Most Nigerians know better what hard work is and they will start to compliment IGP Adamu when they can safely move around without fear of being kidnap and no longer require to abscond from their homes for fear of attacks. That is what hard work means to Nigerians, not someone losing weight.

Oke Umurhohwo is a Political Analyst and Strategist. He tweets via @OkeStalyf and can be reached via oke.umu@gmail.com
https://ourdailywire.com/insecurity-buharis-understanding-of-hard-work-by-oke-umurhohwo/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Citytrend: 8:39am On Feb 10, 2020
I have said it before and I will do say it again. It is not a healthy idea Living in a modern day run by accident mind.

Just take a trip off partisanship and ethnic interest and imagine what would've become of a company like Facebook if an ancient person were to be their CEO

I will hate to Vote for a man who cannot operate a common Smartphone let alone the Demands of a Modern Life.

It's all about the Future. Not the Noise on Social Media

Anyway, I will Design a Professional Logo for your Company or Product For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by stalyf(m): 9:22am On Feb 10, 2020
We know that all the security agencies give him information. Even the Department of State Service, DSS, man does not have that kind of information because the President gets additional information from NIA and all other security sources including international bodies that have links with him.

So it is unfortunate that Mr President would make such a statement. It just means that he is not in control. It means a lot for the President and Commander-in-Chief to say that.

We have wrong set of people managing our security apparatus

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by famousroland(m): 9:56am On Feb 10, 2020
I have nothing to comment, I only came here to book space
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by bazzyblings: 9:56am On Feb 10, 2020
grin
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by BitcoinsMonitor(f): 9:58am On Feb 10, 2020
Truth is Buhari can't do much in terms of security, security is a collective effort and the willingness of people from different backgrounds and religion to come together to live in peace.

I was at the cafe recently then overheard two igbo guys discussing, one of the guys said "I swear na Yoruba be our problem for this country, na them help Buhari to dey rule us, if to sey I get bomb I go eliminate them"...I was just dumfounded after hearing this.

How can a divided nation live in peace?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by revived: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2020
Should I Fry Beans With this undecided
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by pahoehoe: 9:59am On Feb 10, 2020
Hahahahahahahahhaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This country called Nigeria makes me to laugh on a daily basis. Meanwhile, click on the links on my signature to know how you can make excess of N3,000,000 profit per plot from investing in Ibeju Lekki plots of land.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by sapientia(m): 9:59am On Feb 10, 2020
An unapologetic coupist that do not care.

That's who Nigeria have as a President.

He keeps showing his ineptitude and incompetency but Zs will never agree.

There was no single indicator that showed he could handle the affairs of Nigeria better than this but he was rigged into power by those with wishful thinking.

4 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by kingwaxco: 10:01am On Feb 10, 2020
What a country
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Flexherbal(m): 10:01am On Feb 10, 2020
Buhari threw Nigerians into disbelieve when he responded to questions from journalists on his approach to tame the wave of insecurity in the country by saying “I’ve just seen the IGP, he is losing weight, so I think he’s working hard.” But wait, how is losing weight a measure to determine someone working hard?
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by ClassicMan202(m): 10:03am On Feb 10, 2020
grin

7 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by YorubaKinging: 10:04am On Feb 10, 2020
Buhari is a failure in all aspects
He even failed in the oza room

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 10, 2020
grin

The most consequential president in nigeria's modern history. A total disaster

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by netflicks(m): 10:04am On Feb 10, 2020
Even wen person wan leave the fear of coV no let person...I just weak
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by anonimi: 10:05am On Feb 10, 2020
Citytrend:
I have said it before and I will do say it again. It is not a healthy idea Living in a modern day run by accident mind.

Just take a trip off partisanship and ethnic interest and imagine what would've become of a company like Facebook if an ancient person were to be their CEO

I will hate to Vote for a man who cannot operate a common Smartphone let alone the Demands of a Modern Life.

It's all about the Future. Not the Noise on Social Media

Please don't join Trump to call our pres_Idiot lifeless. wink
Please abeg you smiley cheesy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2185359_buhari_jpeg124530d5bd433c751b175a8e21349689

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2185138_buhariinowerri2_jpeg692a11e69c27365fcb4b4dbf3e6ccb24

4 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by toluleke(m): 10:05am On Feb 10, 2020
Sometimes I wonder how we got here the best thing should be History should be taught in depth in all classes whether science,Art or commercial. So we can get updated and not vote failures again

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Roon9(m): 10:06am On Feb 10, 2020
Sir we already know all these stuffs

call for our 380wh lithium-ion generator that could power your TV, laptop, and up to 4 lighting points for up to 10 hours daily.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Philinho(m): 10:06am On Feb 10, 2020
Wetin Osibanjo no go hear because of buhari
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Truthbites: 10:07am On Feb 10, 2020
General Buhary blackmailed Jonathan with insecurity..yet his security is the worse in the history of all heads of state. General Buhary should go back to the military to train again.

6 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by money121(m): 10:08am On Feb 10, 2020
Ok
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by broadman20: 10:11am On Feb 10, 2020
When the country crashes then we will listen to you. But for now, allow us to be fooling ourselves.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 10, 2020
Buhari is a terrorist

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by Veliaka90: 10:12am On Feb 10, 2020
I don't care if this guy has the purest mind in the universe, he is simply incompetent.

I am not one that thinks GEJ was the best thing since sliced bread(or the lame PDP vs APC nonsense) this administration simply lacks the capability to solve the problems the country is facing.
No one is asking for an overnight solution - but we need to see progress and a pathway to solving these issues.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by anonimi: 10:14am On Feb 10, 2020
Desire5000:
There was a country

We were warned but refused to heed good advice.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4184367_img20160901212519_jpeg78b79ce1d41276755a59631319a61753

President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday during a rally in Enugu said that the All Progressives Congress candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd), cannot remember his own mobile phone number.

Jonathan, whose unscripted address was mostly a response to previous statements made by Buhari, accused the APC presidential candidate of deceiving Nigerians by promising to revive the economy without explaining how he would achieve the feat.

The President wondered how Buhari would develop the country’s economy, a feat he could not achieve while he was in office as head of state between 1983 and 1985.

“Is it now that Buhari cannot even remember his own phone number that he can change the economy of the country.” Jonathan asked.

The Peoples Democratic Party presidential candidate said that although he did not like to “go personal during campaigns,” “sometimes circumstances demand that certain things must be said.”

Jonathan said that Buhari belonged to the medieval age, adding that he (the APC candidate) intended to run the Federal Government as a medieval king.

He said, “We cannot run the government as if we are in the medieval age; we cannot run a government where somebody said he would throw people into jail.

“You are not a medieval king – a medieval king can throw you into jail but we have to follow the rule of law because we cannot go back to the old days.”

Jonathan, however, read the speech made by Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (rtd.) after overthrowing Buhari’s regime through a military coup on August 27, 1985 to justify his claim that the APC candidate does not keep his promises.

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-cant-remember-his-phone-number-jonathan/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10490825_1_jpeg83b5009e040969ee7b60362ad7426573

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by osuofia2(m): 10:16am On Feb 10, 2020
Buhari is really in Sifia pains this week, he getting it hot hot from all part of the country, I pity Zombies sha, their work just got harder defending the dullard

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari’s Understanding Of Hard Work By Oke Umurhohwo by anonimi: 10:16am On Feb 10, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi Increased Anambra Poverty Rate From 20% To 68% - Soludo / N77 Trillion Debt May Limit Achievements In Tinubu’s Government – MAN / Mko Abiola Beaten To Death- Mustapha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.