Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies (36204 Views)

Capital Importation To Manufacturing Sector Rises 88.2% To $861 Million / Timipre Sylva: Fuel Importation To End By 2024 / Nnamdi Kanu: IPOB Restricts Movement Into Onitsha, Nnewi, Markets, Shops Closed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by wellmax(m): 8:05pm On Feb 11, 2020
Poanan:

What do you know about bidding and form M?

Nothing. Are you happy now.
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by Internet247(m): 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2020
toh !!! say mu sha NUNU kawai ! grin
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by chewwie(m): 8:58pm On Feb 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

Oga they have found out that Fulani cattles cannot produce any useful amount of milk so this is actually a save face approach
Why don't they just crossbreed milk producing cows from Saudi Arabia with the Fulani cows that are causing trouble here, so that they'll produce milk. AND RANCH THEM!
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by Gerrard59(m): 9:08pm On Feb 11, 2020
wellmax:

Total gilbberish. What has what you make from Friesland has to do with this. I won't go telling you my connection with Friesland running several years. You know nothing. Or refuse to acknowledge good things as s result of hatred.

Do you know about Friesland move in the North and in Iseyin in Oyo state? You stay there spewing trash. You know more than all at CBN. Even the affected companies are not crying. You sit behind a phone and talk trash.

CBN never closed Forex access for milk, restriction is not total closure. This is the same mistake your madam Ibi is making.

Wondered why Friesland and others see complying but internet warriors think everything dairy is Fulani.

Thank you very much.

Most people just tweet or post because they feel like doing so. I know that since the recession, Friesland Campina has invested heavily into her Nigerian production with the aim of meeting at least ten percent of her raw materials input. And as planned, she has attained the mark of 10%. On the other hand, Integrated Dairies started operations 17 years ago, CHI LIMITED has invested substantially into dairy production ditto for Arla and others. Yet so-called intellectuals are against the government's policy whereas since Jonathan's era, the government has complained bitterly about the huge amount of money Nigeria spends importing dairy products.

Few years ago, my research on the industry landed me on a page operated by the Dutch government where it was shown that Nigeria is the only African country amongst the top export destinations for Dutch dairy products. Furthermore, Dangote has complained about the rate of importation (funny enough the Dangote Group isn't listed because she hasn't invested into production and thankfully so before we hear cries about monopoly). Yet again, Brookside Dairies - East Africa's biggest dairy firm - as at then talked about plans of starting production in Nigeria.

Also, it should be noted that the CBN didn't ban the importation of dairy products rather she restricted the use of foreign reserves to companies that have shown interest in localising their production. Anyone who wants dollars from the CBN should adopt her backward integration policy. If not, get dollars from the nearest aboki.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by harbdullartyf(m): 9:31pm On Feb 11, 2020
grin
GamalNasser:
I thought dull Buhari said his fulani cattles could provide milk for country why this policy somersault again grin grin very stupid govt
GamalNasser:
I thought dull Buhari said his fulani cattles could provide milk for country why this policy somersault again grin grin very stupid govt
GamalNasser:
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by sweetgala(m): 11:35pm On Feb 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

How is it a somersault. There has been a restriction with the added impetus to substitute imports for locally produced milk.

This is an opportunity for someone who has a decent amount of land. To buy good quality dairy cattle and start a dairy farm.

With little over 5 million a shed and farm with over two dozen cows can be setup, bank of industry can provide funding for that. Each cow would do 10 litters of milk daily that is over 200 litters to start.

1 Like

Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by GamalNasser: 11:39pm On Feb 11, 2020
sweetgala:

How is it a somersault. There has been a restriction with the added impetus to substitute imports for locally produced milk.

This is an opportunity for someone who has a decent amount of land. To buy good quality dairy cattle and start a dairy farm.

With little over 5 million a shed and farm with over two dozen cows can be setup, bank of industry can provide funding for that. Each cow would do 10 litters of milk daily that is over 200 litters to start.

So you think Arla and co actually use milk to make the pwdered milk you drink? A lot of you are woke at all ....so you think all the powered milk you see in Nigeria is milk? cheesy cheesy and they sell 500grams of it to you for 500 naira cheesy cheesy..Mister man let me let u in on a Little secret most of them.are soy lecithin powder with milk flavor

1 Like

Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by sweetgala(m): 11:59pm On Feb 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

So you think Arla and co actually use milk to make the pwdered milk you drink? A lot of you are woke at all ....so you think all the powered milk you see in Nigeria is milk? cheesy cheesy and they sell 500grams of it to you for 500 naira cheesy cheesy..Mister man let me let u in on a Little secret most of them.are soy lecithin powder with milk flavor

And how do you assume milk flavour is made.
Bobo Stop while you are ahead now. I have personally been involved with an effort towards import substitutions from the recent CBN policies from ethanol to Corn starch.
Dairy milk farming is a legitimate business, I read somewhere about fish importation I was shocked to learn we still import tonnes of fish even with the variety and quantity of fish we farm and catch in Nigeria from the lakes and rivers up north to the coastal areas.

Chinese vessels are cleaning the sea just south of us encroaching on our waterways and Nigerians still remain adamant there are zero opportunities

1 Like

Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 12, 2020
plaetton:

C'mon.
So you think that with the monopoly profits from milk importation, they would now go into local dairy farming ?
Pls think again.

CBN in one of its policies decided to start restricting importation of milk and encouraged milk importing companies to start developing local capacity.

Friesland has begun injecting local milk to its production.

With this new rule from CBN, only companies who have been seen to begin developing local capacity will be allowed to import pending when we can completely do away with imports. While companies who are not ready to do anything but rely 100% on import will not be allowed to import again.
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by Nobody: 5:56am On Feb 12, 2020
joeluv:
And you restrict to only 6 companies. What sort of policy is that.
This 6 companies import more than 90% of the milk we consume in Nigeria, and they are taking steps to produce their milk in Nigeria.
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by Nobody: 6:01am On Feb 12, 2020
obazie:
Why this segregation? If u are stopping the importation then do it absolutely and dont try to favour a few of your friends. remember you are president of both the rich and poor and the head of all tribes. This is why trump calls Nigeria shit hole country..look at sanwolu he didnt stop non registered okada an allow registered ones to operate. He stopped them all.so lets please be rational for the sake of posterity.
If is stop totally, absolute majority of Nigerians won't be able to afford milk. Those 6 companies up there import more than 90% of the milk we consume in Nigeria. As time goes on it will be totally close.
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by fyneguy: 10:18am On Feb 12, 2020
BitCraftman:
This is a forced system and not a open one. They are giving forex to importers with diary farm capable of producing milk with the hope that they would eventually grow their milk output to stop the import as time goes and the released forex is reduced. It looks strategic but I smell the usual pady-pady arrangement that ruins thins in Nigeria.

You can only complain if the waiver has no expiry date. I am sure they were handed a deadline to start local production. Give them benefit of the doubt.
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by fyneguy: 10:19am On Feb 12, 2020
GamalNasser:

Oga they have found out that Fulani cattles cannot produce any useful amount of milk so this is actually a save face approach

Some of you just post rubbish. You have no idea what the diary plans are. Stop being ignorant. Do your research.

1 Like

Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by GamalNasser: 10:32am On Feb 12, 2020
fyneguy:

Some of you just post rubbish. You have no idea what the diary plans are. Stop being ignorant. Do your research.

Shut Buhari doesn't have any plan at all so stop deceiving yourself , he has been in that office for 5 years show me one positive result of any of his plan ? Stop fooling yourself he has spent 5 year and now has 3 left
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by mrbenjame: 10:56am On Feb 12, 2020
Shashikapoo:
mind your language mr

What language Oga? So monopoly is the right way to go abi?
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by temielects(m): 11:52am On Feb 12, 2020
Re: CBN Restricts Milk Importation To Six Companies by plaetton: 2:39pm On Feb 12, 2020
BabaOwen:
CBN in one of its policies decided to start restricting importation of milk and encouraged milk importing companies to start developing local capacity.

Friesland has begun injecting local milk to its production.

With this new rule from CBN, only companies who have been seen to begin developing local capacity will be allowed to import pending when we can completely do away with imports. While companies who are not ready to do anything but rely 100% on import will not be allowed to import again.
My dear friend.
I do understand the policy intent.
But , as we all know too well about human nature, and the power of monopoly, these few companies would most likely collude to fix prices at their maximum profit points. The consumer loses.
Secondly, satiated with their monopoly profits, they would likely invest much resources to perpetually isolate and protect themselves from new competition or adverse government policies.
Thirdly, since it is much easier to make quick profits from importation rather than longer term investments in production, with all the power and infrastructure deficits, they are less likely to increase local production in real terms.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Expect Knocks On Your Door Whether You Go To Daura Or Niger - Tinubu To Buhari / Dapo Abiodun To Contest For Ogun Governorship (Photos) / Tambuwal To Dump APC For PDP Tomorrow Ahead Of Presidential Declaration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.