Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term (28358 Views)

Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine / Amotekun Officers Open Fire In Oyo, Two Killed, Scores Injured | / Election: NBC Imposes N500, 000 Fine On Ekiti Broadcasting Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Rayfield: 8:41am On Feb 12, 2020
I forsee tout and aggressive drivers falling victims to this
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by HigherEd: 8:41am On Feb 12, 2020
It's ok

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by xynerise: 8:42am On Feb 12, 2020
Hope this won't be an avenue for them to abuse power?
I know my countrymen
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Eteka1(m): 8:45am On Feb 12, 2020
Let's be careful. Hope we won't end up creating another problem far worse than SARS.

2 Likes

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by SOFTENGR: 8:47am On Feb 12, 2020
The bill shouldn't give too much power to the officers otherwise, they will misbehave.

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Unrated900(m): 8:49am On Feb 12, 2020
Conner44:
So if a Fulani herdsman decides to ‘legally’ kill 3 Amotekun officers in a stationed hilux he will first sell 5 of his cows and gather the cash for the fine and then carve out one month in his life to flex prison. I’m sure he will pull strings and be out in good time too.

Chai, it’s too poor naw. ONLY N250,000? A MONTH? chai. We all know herdsmen DO NOT MOLEST, they KILL. even if you miraculously survive with cuts and all you’d wish you were dead.

Even a rich herdsman can sponsor them one million to wipe out the Amotekun cats from a particular village.

I really pity the Amotekun cats

whoever decides to join this stuff to collect N13k salary and put a N250,000 or 1 month jail price on his life in a cruel manner is a fool

Why are you
Pained naaaa
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by DSoj(m): 8:49am On Feb 12, 2020
However, an Amotekun officer cannot be sued for whatever he does in the course of duty but only what he does in his personal capacity.

RUBBISH AND NONSENSE

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by dicoms: 8:52am On Feb 12, 2020
TheRealProphet:
Hmmm, una wan give this people status of a demi god... Them go soon turn to sars...same way SARS officers beat and kill innocent citizens while on duty.
My thoughts exactly.

Get a free .com domain name for your business. Check my signature for more details.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Talib93(m): 8:53am On Feb 12, 2020
Antoeni:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/beating-amotekun-officers-attracts-n-25m-fine-jail-term/amp/
Please provide full document.... before words are taken out of context
This passage does not account for the fact that beating might be due to incompetence on the said officers, if the beating was done by agent of another outfit, most likely federal...it sound as thoughlegislative fiat is about to be given at state level to these officers...
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 8:58am On Feb 12, 2020
Fulani herdsmen are in soup....The end of their stupid jihad is over
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by don4real18(m): 8:59am On Feb 12, 2020
Antoeni:

Section 36 of the bill states, “Any person who wilfully hinders, delays, obstructs or assaults a member of the Ekiti State Amotekun Corps in the course of the exercise of his lawful duties under this law shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term of one month or to a fine not exceeding two hundred and fifty thousand naira only (N250,000.00) or to both such fine and imprisonment.”

The loophole is at the bolded. If they carry out unlawful exercises, you are allowed to beat them grin

2 Likes

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by victorazyvictor(m): 9:01am On Feb 12, 2020
iAmViper:
Assault?
what if they were attacked by hearders?

When have herders became our police that sees the affairs of the masses in Nigeria?
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by sparko1(m): 9:04am On Feb 12, 2020
Conner44:
So if a Fulani herdsman decides to ‘legally’ kill 3 Amotekun officers in a stationed hilux he will first sell 5 of his cows and gather the cash for the fine and then carve out one month in his life to flex prison. I’m sure he will pull strings and be out in good time too.

Chai, it’s too poor naw. ONLY N250,000? A MONTH? chai. We all know herdsmen DO NOT MOLEST, they KILL. even if you miraculously survive with cuts and all you’d wish you were dead.

Even a rich herdsman can sponsor them one million to wipe out the Amotekun cats from a particular village.

I really pity the Amotekun cats

whoever decides to join this stuff to collect N13k salary and put a N250,000 or 1 month jail price on his life in a cruel manner is a fool

Your stupidity stink to high heaven, killing anyone in Nigeria attract the death penalty or life sentence if convicted.
You don't know the difference between murder and assault! Shame!

Get brighter grammar and educate yourself, stop spreading you stupidity!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by goldman777: 9:06am On Feb 12, 2020
Amotekun is a welcome development but too much power is being given to them to misbehave a paramilitary organization should not be given unnecessary waivers to misbehave and should be culpable to actions carried out in it's duties even in a court of law as every other Nigerian citizens in order not to.abuse the security job they have been designated

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Buke26: 9:07am On Feb 12, 2020
seunlayi:
Killing the Amotekun before birth. Who will pay that amount in this poverty invested country?
That's why they said "or one month in jail" incase u are unable to pay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by obiekunie2: 9:08am On Feb 12, 2020

However, an Amotekun officer cannot be sued for whatever he does in the course of duty but only what he does in his personal capacity.

i no agree with this clause - this is more like a license to kill.

how can yorubas with their sophistication include this clause? this people will become worst that the police.

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by gcof(m): 9:08am On Feb 12, 2020
nonxo007:

This statement is quite complex and I feel its too broad or maybe i don't understand though.
BTW is there Amotekun in Lagos or its just in other South Western states ?
Still a great move by the south western governors, peoples lives matter.
one of the reasons law is sweet. That statement has loophole already that a good lawyer can twist ad defend his client accordingly, “Amotekun’s course of duty” has to be well spelt out
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by seunlayi(m): 9:09am On Feb 12, 2020
Buke26:

That's why they said "or one month in jail" incase u are unable to pay

In case you are not able to pay. I mean you, yes you yourself..... Lol good day to you
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Olam09(m): 9:09am On Feb 12, 2020
Smh

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by AmazingELixir: 9:10am On Feb 12, 2020
undecided undecided undecided

So this useless people think they can appropriate immunity to their local vigilante, who gave them that power.....the only authority charged with that responsibility is the one given by the constitution.

They should get that into their empty skull
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Babacele: 9:10am On Feb 12, 2020
hmmmm ...we need more clarifications ooo because if ,for example, an Amotekun officer who has been eyeing my babe,property or something uses his new office to want to remove me -an obstacle - I no go keep calm at all especially if the outfit tries to protect him . So this kind of lacuna and blanket power can be counterproductive and may defeat the vision and mission of the security outfit. So we need more explanation as to the operational procedure of this noble organization different from the mess from the established police force as we are tired of the security disabilities in the country over the years.
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Offpoint: 9:11am On Feb 12, 2020
Nothing works here, in 3 years time they'll become nuisance and going the NPF ways
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Ayed44: 9:12am On Feb 12, 2020
So if a policeman beats up an Amotekun officer, who will pay the fine?
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by millionboi2: 9:12am On Feb 12, 2020
Antoeni:
I am not Against Amotekun.
Amotekun is very much in Order, But my Fear is Gain Adams Heading Operations
he is corrupt ?

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Stevechigo: 9:13am On Feb 12, 2020
What if a police man beats an omotekun who is going to pay?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Keemsleek005(m): 9:13am On Feb 12, 2020
TheRealProphet:
Hmmm, una wan give this people status of a demi god... Them go soon turn to sars...same way SARS officers beat and kill innocent citizens while on duty.

I support you on these, why Wont they misbehave with such law backing them? So once they are on uniform they become untouchable and they can do what they like, more like they can be used politically when on uniform and you can't sue them cos they backed by law.let keep our finger crossed.

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by StrikeBack(m): 9:15am On Feb 12, 2020
Amotekun ought to be an intelligent gathering unit
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 12, 2020
xynerise:
Hope this won't be an avenue for them to abuse power?
I know my countrymen
Very serious abuse of power loading.

As days go by, this security outfit has more political undertone than securing people and properties.
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Bondinus(m): 9:18am On Feb 12, 2020
TheRealProphet:
Precisely, so what's the difference between them and the people we want them to replace.
I only see George Orwell's "animal farm" playing over and over again

1 Like

Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Ayed44: 9:22am On Feb 12, 2020
A policeman in uniform killed a commercial driver at checkpoint and the policeman was taken to court and was sentenced to death... But an Amotekun officer cannot be sued.

Funny!!!
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Bondinus(m): 9:24am On Feb 12, 2020
With this power, Las Las, some will use it as a revenge mission, and your word against theirs, which at this stage, we know theirs is overall.
Make my words, if this goes through, with time it will lead to tribal extortion.
Re: Beating Amotekun Officers Attracts N250,000 Fine, Jail Term by Sanchez01: 9:34am On Feb 12, 2020
These reactions are not necessary as the revealed parts are but excerpts. I am sure there are other parts of the bill that are directed at the officers themselves, which will cripple their power in a way.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari / 2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions / Court Orders Saraki To Swear-in Okonkwo As Senator For Anambra Central

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.