Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,484 members, 7,958,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:00 PM

Victor Olaiya, Is Dead - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Victor Olaiya, Is Dead (56325 Views)

"I Am Sorry For campaigning Naked For Tinubu" - Olaiya Igwe / Victor Olaiya: 2face, KWAM1, Ebenezer Obey And Other Stars Pay Tributes / Adunoluwa Farombi, Moji Olaiya's Daughter In Beautiful New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by naptu2: 4:39pm On Feb 12, 2020
This is incredibly painful.

Breaking News: Doyen of Highlife Music Dr Olaiya is Dead!

ENTERTAINMENTCELEBRITY
By ElombahNews Last updated Feb 12, 2020

The entire music world mourns the death of a Legend of Highlife music and one of the last man standing.

The Death of the Doyen of Highlife music in Nigeria, “the last of the original”, Dr Victor Abimbola Olaiya OON.

ElombahNews learnt his death occurred at Luth hospital Lagos State at exactly 12pm today Wednesday 12th of February, 2020.

https://elombah.com/breaking-news-doyen-of-highlife-music-dr-olaiya-is-dead/

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Victor Abimbola Olaiya (born 31 December 1930), also known as Dr Victor Olaiya, is a Nigerian trumpeter who plays in the highlife style. Though extremely famous in Nigeria during the 1950s and early 1960s, Olaiya received little recognition outside his native country. Alhaji Alade Odunewu of the Daily Times described him as "The Evil Genius of Highlife."

Early life and career
Olaiya was born on 31 December 1930, in Calabar, Cross River State, the 20th child of a family of 24. His parents, Alfred Omolona Olaiya and Bathsheba Owolabi Motajo, came from Ijesha-Ishu in Ekiti State. Olaiya came from a very rich family. His father's house called Ilọijọs Bar stood on 2 Bamgbose Street, Lagos Island, until it was demolished on 11 September 2016. At an early age he learned to play the Bombardon and the French Horn. After leaving school he moved to Lagos, where he passed the school certificate examination in 1951 and was accepted by Howard University, US, to study civil engineering. Olaiya instead pursued a career as a musician, to the disapproval of his parents. He played with the Sammy Akpabot Band, was leader and trumpeter for the Old Lagos City Orchestra and joined the Bobby Benson Jam Session Orchestra.

In 1954 Olaiya formed his own band, the Cool Cats, playing popular highlife music. His band was chosen to play at the state ball when Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom visited Nigeria in 1956, and later to play at the state balls when Nigeria became independent in 1960 and when Nigeria became a republic in 1963. On the latter occasion, Olaiya shared the stage with the American jazz musician Louis Armstrong. During the Nigerian Civil War of 1967–70, Olaiya was given the rank of a lieutenant colonel (honorary) in the Nigerian army and his band played for the troops at various locations. The Cool Cats later travelled to the Congo to perform for United Nations troops.

Olaiya renamed his band to the All Stars Band when they played the 1963 International Jazz Festival in Czechoslovakia.

Olaiya also ran a business that imported and distributed musical instruments and accessories throughout West Africa, and established the Stadium Hotel in Surulere.

In 1990, Olaiya received a fellowship of the Institute of Administrative Management of Nigeria. For a period, he was also president of the Nigerian Union of Musicians.

Personal life
Olaiya married many wives. He has children and grandchildren. One of his daughters, Moji Olaiya, was a Nollywood actress.[7] He sings with his son Bayode Olaiya.

Music
Olaiya's music bridges between Ghanaian highlife and what would become Afrobeat.

His musical style was influenced by James Brown, with horn parts harmonised in Brown's style, as opposed to the mostly unison lines of Afrobeat. The music includes the swinging percussion of Tony Allen, but not the syncopated style that Allen later pioneered.[8]

Olaiya released an album with Ghanaian highlife musician E. T. Mensah.[3] Both the drummer Tony Allen and vocalist Fela Kuti played with Olaiya and went on to achieve individual success.[8][9]

In July 2013, Victor Olaiya released a music video remix of Baby Jowo(Baby Mi Da)with 2face idibia and was received with much acclaim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Olaiya

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by naptu2: 4:40pm On Feb 12, 2020
naptu2:
This is an absolute classic. It was originally done by Dr Victor Olaiya. It was covered by Art Alade in the 1980s and I watched him perform it many times on the Art Alade Show. Lieutenant Shotgun covered it in the 1990s and Dr Victor Olaiya remixed it again and this time he had 2Face Idibia with him.

Dr Victor Olaiya - Baby Jowo (1960s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBY_giUcA9s

Art Alade - Baby Jowo (c1985)
I cannot find a video of this version.

Lieutenant Shotgun - Baby Jowo (c1992)
I cannot find a video of this version.

Dr Victor Olaiya ft 2Face Idibia - Baby Jowo - 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enf68hEsvys

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by naptu2: 4:40pm On Feb 12, 2020
This song was obligatory at all Nigerian state events. There's no way that they won't play it. Therefore, it was one of the first songs that I learnt to play.

Dr Victor Olaiya - Omo Pupa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM6oKe_Zpuk

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by HIRAETH: 4:40pm On Feb 12, 2020
cry embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by naptu2: 4:43pm On Feb 12, 2020
This is my entire childhood.

Dr Victor Olaiya - Omolanke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4aqCAKKEYo

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by Maxymilliano(m): 4:43pm On Feb 12, 2020
Wow ... I still listened to the remix of Baby Mi Da with Tuface on Classic Fm few minutes ago.

RIP Baba

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by naptu2: 4:48pm On Feb 12, 2020
The Bala Miller Show was a very popular show on the NTA Network from c1983-1986.

naptu2:
I can't believe that I forgot to post this absolutely awesome video on this thread.

From Kaduna, it's the Bala Miller Show (Wel-come every-body!).

Steve Rhodes, Bala Miller and Gloria Rhodes (backed by Bala Miller's band and some members of Steve Rhodes' band) perform a medley of highlife songs including

Taxi Driver - Bobby Benson

Omo Laso Laye -

Baby Jowo - Dr Victor Olaiya

Omo Pupa - Dr Victor Olaiya

Joromi - Sir Victor Uwaifo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2-c4L7OEtY

19 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by b3llo(m): 4:53pm On Feb 12, 2020
Papa Victor Olaiya, May your soul Rest in Peace.

Papa but you chop life n enjoy well.

10 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by Flexherbal(m): 4:56pm On Feb 12, 2020
May his soul rest in peace!

2 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by thesicilian: 5:01pm On Feb 12, 2020
It is an achievement to be able to live to the age of 89yrs in the kind of country we live in today.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by RichFoundation(m): 5:07pm On Feb 12, 2020
Rip

2 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by nextstep(m): 5:08pm On Feb 12, 2020
RIP Baba... no need to be sad for a long life well lived. May we all be granted the same.
Let's party and celebrate a legend.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by DarkJeddi(m): 5:08pm On Feb 12, 2020
For a second I thought it was Sir Victor Uwaifo.. embarassed

May His Soul Rest In Peace..

3 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by WhatIf: 5:09pm On Feb 12, 2020
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by YorubaKinging: 5:09pm On Feb 12, 2020
As I was saying.
The scientists are lairs
The Earth is not revolving around the sun
The sun always moves from East to West
The Earth is not in space
The Earth is located on the seas
If this is hard for you to comprehend then you need to fear the creator of this unbelievable works

12 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by wany(f): 5:09pm On Feb 12, 2020
Daddy rest on,you came and you showed up.rest on embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by puyol005(m): 5:09pm On Feb 12, 2020
Sad, but let him help us tell baba in heaven what our homeland have become in the hands of our leaders

5 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by okomile(f): 5:10pm On Feb 12, 2020
Wow!
RIP Legend!

U will be missed at your hotel around surulere stadium

2 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by careytommy37(m): 5:10pm On Feb 12, 2020
Adios
Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by seunlayi(m): 5:10pm On Feb 12, 2020

What a very bad news is this of the passing away of this music icon. Rip baba

It would have bn a good news if it is somebody that flew in from Etio to Madu 2 day

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by cRobo: 5:10pm On Feb 12, 2020
Who is he?

1 Like

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by iCauseTrouble: 5:10pm On Feb 12, 2020
RIP. I Remember your performance in OAU years ago

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2020
DAMN IT.
May God give his family the fortitude to bear this huge loss.
RIP to a Legend.
HEROES COME AND GO,
LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER!!

This bring this Evergreen song to us all over again.

Baby Jowo Victor Olaiya feat 2Baba

Baba Victor Olaiya :
E ba mi so fun sisi yen ko ma i lo o,
Mo ti so wipe faaji t'ele la wa.
E ba mi so fun sisi yen ko ma i sa lo,
Mo ti so wipe faaji t'ele la wa.
Sisi j'owo, ma i lo o.
Omode nse mi, dear mi da.
Duro de mi, ko gbe mi s'aya
Ko wa fife tutu s'aya mi o

2 Face :
I say make you stop am before you make person mad o
Ejo Ejo Ejo Ejo E so fun sisi yen Ko ma i lo ma i lo.
My baby bebe nlo, bebe nlo.
Me and you together,
Together Na you go be my omo to san, omo to san Na you,
Only youuuuu Somebody tell am say, Like this, like that Victor Duro de mi, ko gbe mi s'aya
Ko wa fife tutu s'aya mi o.
Tuface Ko bu a t'elo, ka'la do/6x Because Omo tu ga'ra 6x

Once again : RIP Great Man.
Sleep well sir.

HEROES COME AND GO,
LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER!!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by ekestic1976(f): 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2020
The end of a glorious era. The good ones are moving out, leaving behind the generation of looters, imps that are happy at the death of fathers, scammers and suchlike.
One day we'll wake up looking for Nigeria everywhere, not knowing that it had been sold off to China overnight!

Adieu, Sir Victor Abimbola Olaiya. Fare thee well.

11 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by OmoManU: 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2020
Whoa, damn these were men that originated and composed great songs from the real core earthen part of this universe, the real born singers, the real real music greats unlike noise makers we have abound today. Damn RIP great man.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by sholay2011(m): 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2020
RIP Sir.
Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by RedBororo(m): 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2020
Rest In Peace Baba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by millionboi2: 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2020
Death is d end of it all
Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by NigeriaBam: 5:12pm On Feb 12, 2020
So Sad. Rest In Peace
May God Be With His Family..
Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by osuofia2(m): 5:12pm On Feb 12, 2020
RIP SIRE, THAT REMIX WITH TUFACE WAS MAD

3 Likes

Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by naptu2: 5:12pm On Feb 12, 2020
Formation of PMAN
Re: Victor Olaiya, Is Dead by momodub: 5:13pm On Feb 12, 2020
Legend RIP

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Special Spesh Shares Davido's Toilet Video / Lil Kesh's Facial Scars Got Fans Talking (Photos) / Jay-z Confirms His Mother Is Lesbian On “4:44” Album

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.