Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? (339 Views)

"Your Song Is An Embarrassment To Naija Music"- Kelly Hansome Blasts DJ Cuppy / Does Burna Boy Really Deserves The Grammy Award? (poll/video). / Seyi Shay: My Bigger Butt Was One Of The Good Things That Happened To Me In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? by Nigeria2day(m): 9:24am On Feb 13, 2020
By Jonah Nwokpoku (www.nigeriatodaynews.com)

Afrobeat sensation, Burna Boy is trending on Twitter Thursday morning, because of the claim he made about being the best to happen to Afrobeat (Nigerian music) since Fela Anikulapokuti.

According to a tweet, which many found rather arrogant, Burna claimed he was the best in the industry and even the "Best" knew he was the best.

FACT! I always knew I was and I am THE BEST. Everyone you think is the best KNOWS I’m BEST since Fela Kuti. But @timayatimaya told me something a long time ago that made me not care about being the best. “The World can do without the Best” the world will still spin regardless.

— Burna Boy (@burnaboy) February 12, 2020
Of course, many of his followers found this offensive, as one of them replied: "There is nothing you’ve done that no Nigeria artist has done man so you brought nothing here man you are just part of the people that push afrobeat to the world. So you did not set any table a lot of artists have already set it before you started getting ur fame last 2 years!!".

But Burna would not budge, as he replied:

Lol. NOBODY paved shit for me. Everybody dey find them own. I bin Out here, if you knew the way they made us look weak by begging and paying the western world to like us you will see that no table was set and I’m the one that brought you the Respect you currently enjoy. https:///oPS1HjPrEl

— Burna Boy (@burnaboy) February 12, 2020
And the argument continued, with a majority disapproving of Burna's claim to the crown of Nigerian music.

But is Burna really the best to happen to Nigerian music?

Well, opinions would continue to be diverse in answering this question. While there is no gainsaying the fact that Burna has done well for himself over the past two-three years, such claim is a disservice to the pioneers who spearheaded the evolution of the industry at little to no incentives.

In fact, people like Tubaba could easily lay claim to this crown, along with his Plantashun Boyz crew. There were others like Paul Play, Sunny Nneji, Dare Art Alade and hundreds of others, not forgetting thousands of other fallen disciples of the craft.

Even in recent times, people like Wizkid, Davido, Banky W etc, have contributed immensely to the incredible growth of the industry with a short span of time.

Every one of them, including those who didn't achieve enormous success, brought their talents and influence to bear on the industry. It is not right for one person to lay claim to this success.

But then again, there is context to everything. Perhaps, there is a context to which Burna made the claims, for which his avid fans and otherwise would be expecting an explanation in the coming days.

Re: Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? by masterflowx(m): 9:41am On Feb 13, 2020
Arguably, the best.
Based on logistic! grin

1 Like

Re: Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? by Blakjewelry(m): 9:42am On Feb 13, 2020
Nope not even close

1 Like

Re: Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? by kiddkash(m): 10:54am On Feb 13, 2020
debatable

1 Like

Re: Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? by Xclusiveme: 11:34am On Feb 13, 2020
2019 was burnaboys year. This is 2020. A year for another artist.

1 Like

Re: Is Burna Boy Really The Best Thing That Happened To Naija Music Since Fela? by paulolee(m): 11:46am On Feb 13, 2020
a big yes...he came close to fela, he started a new brand, stayed with his line n gat more originality Dan d odas..fck wizkid, davido n d odas

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tboss Curses Fans Who Mocked Her Daughter, Saying She’s ‘ugly And Unspecial / . / Watch ! Emir Of Kano Dethroned | The Real Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.