Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon (35448 Views)

David Lyon Declared Winner Of Bayelsa Governorship Election / Bayelsa Election: 13 Things To Know About David Lyon / Bayelsa Election: David Lyon Leads Duoye Diri With 434,473 Votes - TVC News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by eedimo(m): 7:17am On Feb 14, 2020
As expected
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by OzilBaba50: 7:17am On Feb 14, 2020
post=86634668:
Buhari is a darling criminal

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Correcto: 7:17am On Feb 14, 2020
That's a huge a error that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere in the world
seunmsg:

Sadly, the people’s decision was not considered at all by the justices of the Supreme Court. David Lyon won the election clearly, he should never have been denied the right fruit of his victory simply because of a technical issue.

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 14, 2020
So in a nutshell, the Supreme Court is right on this one. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by RillJ(m): 7:18am On Feb 14, 2020
Citytrend:
This man should've been disqualified if not for lack of respect for the law of the land

Abeg joo, I will Design a Professional Logo for your Company or Product For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me.

He was not part of the election in the first case. Sad as it appears it boils down to a failure of INEC and other institutions to do due diligence most of the time and this is the reason we keep having people with forged documents and fake certificates aspiring for and taking public office.

The infamous ex-finance minister was a commissioner in a State prior to her ministerial appointment and in both cases, she was supposedly vetted and certified by the relevant government agencies. Look at how she ended up.

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by AstralBody: 7:18am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

Sadly, the people’s decision was not considered at all by the justices of the Supreme Court. David Lyon won the election clearly, he should never have been denied the right fruit of his victory simply because of a technical issue.

U can go n die! What silly technical issue are u talking abt? The olumba man go present invalid credentials n d frog face nu check am.
Once again,go n die gringrin

7 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by fergie001: 7:19am On Feb 14, 2020
Just going through the judgement of September 26, 1979.
It's novel.

In this case, there is nothing to differ. It's a pre-election matter and like Rivers, APC shouldn't have even been in the elections, save for the last minute Stay of Execution procured from Port Harcourt.

APC votes are dead votes. Hence, the PDP won all LGAs in Bayelsa State.

Thanks mushystuff for your expose

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by ruggedtimi(m): 7:20am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

The deputy candidate should have been disqualified without touching the governor-elect. In the case of James Faleke vs Yahaya Bello, the Supreme Court agreed with APC that a dead candidate can be substituted even after the election. So, why can’t the same apply in this case?

Democracy should be about the people and not about the justices of the Supreme Court. At worst, the court should have ordered another election just like it did in Bauchi some years back when the deputy governor was disqualified. The people should be the ones deciding who rules them and not some justices somewhere.
i totally agree with you,

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Neoteny(m): 7:20am On Feb 14, 2020
It's Mary Odili.

Who's surprised that she snuck PDP back in?

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by thundafire: 7:21am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

nobody is arguing he didn't win did u care to look at his deputy for having 6 different names haba with affidavits it's not done dat way and it was given to PDP did u c PDP contest dey result at tribunal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by thundafire: 7:22am On Feb 14, 2020
DeomoviesI:
Hmmmm.... This escapade wouldn't have happen if the Deputy has not perjured himself, the comment above said it shouldn't affect the principal. Really, it shouldn't affect the boss what you mean? When the sinner suffer, the righteous also do. I don't know if you get my gist, but the principal should know about misdeeds of his deputy. You can get high definition movies and series into external drive and pc including Frozen II Doctor Sleep, Jojo Rabbit, Parasite, Moonlight, Power (S1-6 complete) (zero,eight,one,four,four,two,three,eight,three,two,seven)
how u dey understand ur own reading read dey court judgement and stop thinking with ur nose
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by 2sexycom(m): 7:23am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

The deputy candidate should have been disqualified without touching the governor-elect. In the case of James Faleke vs Yahaya Bello, the Supreme Court agreed with APC that a dead candidate can be substituted even after the election. So, why can’t the same apply in this case?

Democracy should be about the people and not about the justices of the Supreme Court. At worst, the court should have ordered another election just like it did in Bauchi some years back when the deputy governor was disqualified. The people should be the ones deciding who rules them and not some justices somewhere.
does your Bubu have certificate? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by thundafire: 7:23am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

dats dead and not forgery

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Frankiss44(m): 7:26am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

Cry me a river, did you say this during Ihedioha's ordeal?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Wickedfacts: 7:27am On Feb 14, 2020
Lawyers never agree on any subject matter. That's why there are always lawyers on 2 sides to every case.

4 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by doctore212(m): 7:28am On Feb 14, 2020
Guys they have emptied all the condom in Shoprite now and Aboki wan sell gold circle 1500 for me.

Abeg where can I buy CD today wey be Val for this Bayelsa , is urgent coz I have 5 different babes lined up for activity today starting from 9am.

Treat as urgent.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by vicdom(m): 7:33am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

But the constitution stated clearly that a candidate can not be substituted after the expiration of the time frame for the party nomination, EXCEPT WHEN THERE'S A CASE OF DEATH. The main reason APC was allowed to substitute Audu for Yahaya Bello.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by shugabasbn: 7:33am On Feb 14, 2020
Based judgment on technicalities is a disaster in waiting. Getting a victory through court judgment like this is a worrisome for the country. The candidate that has overwhelmed support n another one that completely rejected bn sworn in as a elected candidate is disturbing.

From my observations Justice Mary Odilli has a passion for technicalities than others n there is another Justice I think Ekpo

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by edoairways: 7:33am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

Did you say this for IMO election?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CanadaOrBust: 7:34am On Feb 14, 2020
post=86634593:
The Supreme court has spoken, which should be final, as it is all over the world.

I’m nether a politician nor for any party. This is purely academic. How about if the SC aids and abetts fraud that is clear to everybody is fraud? What would be your solution? That’s why the Imo case is quite different from the rest.

Notice in that case they said nothing about meeting “the required constitutional geographical spread of votes” because they know the numbers make no sense - the man gave himself 2 times the registered number of voters in some places!
Then INEC literally gave him certificate the very next day, carefully making sure NOT to release final tally of votes (because they know they’d be laughed at!)

4 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by saajus: 7:34am On Feb 14, 2020
I think joining the fate of both Guber aspirant and his running mate together is a good law. Some people vote for them because of the running mate, some because of the Guber aspirant.
mushystuff:

First, I have edited my post. Secondly, please fill me in on the Bauchi scenario. I don't quite have the details so I can't comment just yet.
Back to this issue, for Kogi, silly as that was, the greater common sense would have been for Faleke to become the governorship candidate and not nominate one over him just as would have been the case if Audu had died after they had been sworn in. Placing Yahaya over him was based on religious and tribal considerations plus the working relationship would have definitely been sour so that is why Faleke turned it down. Bottom line though is that there was no disqualification and elections had yet to be concluded.

For Bayelsa however, this issue was a pre-election matter. Again by the electoral law, a ticket is joint except that of legislative positions. The fates of both parties are tied and what affects one affects the other too. Like I said, grounds for disqualification do not include death. If the Bayelsa deputy candidate had died(God forbid), we would not be having this scenario. However, he's been caught in a crime of forgery! Since they haven't been sworn in, they are still joined together. Even if they had been sworn in, because it's a pre-election matter, it would have still affected them both because the implication of the judgement is that APC did not have any candidate.

No party can nominate a governorship candidate without a deputy, INEC will not accept such incomplete nomination. The court is therefore saying that since the deputy was not qualified, he was not a candidate ab initio. APC therefore did not have a candidate so their participation in the election is an exercise in futility.

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Chuzoetoh(m): 7:35am On Feb 14, 2020
post=86634593:
The Supreme court has spoken, which should be final, as it is all over the world.

It all depends on who the indigenes of Bayelsa want and not what the Hypocrites that have never stepped their feet on Bayelsa state are shouting about.

For those of us that are not card carrying members of any political party, but only vote for good men and women that we believe can move their immediate environment forward (same reason all of us @[/b] voted for our darling Daddy in the presidential election and voted for another candidate in another party in our state of residence, no apologies ro Sanwo-Olu!)

It is sad that the days intellectuals discuss politics on the political threads on Nairaland is gone and now it has gone to kids, hypocrites and dirty agberos that curse and abuse their mothers with no reasonable and sensible posts to contribute)

[b]Lastly......

It is a always good and refreshing to see that we have a President who does not intervene in the rule of law.

Elections In Nigeria now,
There is no need to fear.
Why? Because the will of Nigerians will not be subverted. Never! A President once told us in this country that the coming polls would be do or die.
Not with President Buhari. Fair is fair. No foul play. Under his watch, his political party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has lost gubernatorial elections in Bayelsa, Oyo State and Anambra states.
At the last Council of States meeting, Gov Willie Obiano publicly registered his appreciation to President Buhari, for the level playing ground he made available during the election in his state. With do or die apostles, and a certain political party in power, such would never happen. Not with their garrison mentality. All states are territories that must be conquered, willy-nilly.

APC has won gubernatorial positions under Buhari in Kogi, Ondo and Edo states. The victories were fair and square. The party lost in Bayelsa, Oyo, Anambra etc.
This President would never manipulate victory for anyone, not even his own party. And you ask us not to trust him?
We will, and no mistake.

God bless our darling Daddy President Muhammadu Buhari.
God bless Nigeria.
no allow me catch you in person, meat seller.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Openbusiness: 7:37am On Feb 14, 2020
How did we get here, where Elections no longer count in Nigeria and the power od the people to vote and choose their leaders has been destroyed. How did we get here that it is now the supreme court that choses who becomes governor and who doesn't with horrible unjust judgements? The vote of the Supreme court panel of less than 20 people now determines who wins elections instead of the vote of millions of voters. Dictator Buhari regime has finished Nigeria democracy completely.

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:39am On Feb 14, 2020
“These tribunal/court cases in Imo, Bayelsa, Zamfara, etc, constitute serious indictment of INEC and the political parties. There is no legacy that the present administration has bestowed upon us as a nation in the area of electoral reforms, but rather things have gotten worse. Having suffered electoral injustice in his previous efforts, it is shocking that the president has retained and continued to benefit from obviously flawed electoral processes.

This right here is why I believe buhari does not mean well for dis country. The man is simply all about himself. It shows that his grouse with the three previous elections he lost are because he lost not that he feels the electoral process is not perfect.
Even Yar'adua who benefited in 2007 acknowledged the flaws and tried to make amends. Jonathan after benefiting in 2011 also improved on them by 2015. Only for this selfish old man to come in 2015 and dragged us back to 2007. Even after the SC's pronouncement on card readers, he refused to sign a law empowering use of card readers in 2018.
Another name for Buhari is simply hypocrite!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by friday2011(m): 7:39am On Feb 14, 2020
Kwanza:

https://m.guardian.ng/news/lawyers-differ-on-supreme-courts-ouster-of-lyon/

All this grammer wey this lawyers dey speak, only one of them faulted INEC's incompetence, in saner climes, inec chairmo and all the commisioners are by now should have resigned...

They are all criminals, they are just after there pocket, mr leon should just carry that yeye deputy guy go borno and hand him over to boko boys for suya.

In my own opinion, a fresh election should have been called for while mr leon chooses another deputy to run with him, the people of bayelsa did not really want PDP candidate from the vote pattern but unfortunately the PDP candidate will meet the constitutional requirements expected by the APEX court.

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by henrydan(m): 7:40am On Feb 14, 2020
Citytrend:
This man should've been disqualified if not for lack of respect for the law of the land

Abeg joo, I will Design a Professional Logo for your Company or Product For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me.

See this hungry quack forming professional logo designer. Fool that I gave job to design only for him to be forming sickness up and down cos you have gotten 2k.
Ungrateful animal looking for who to defraud with logo design. E-diot!
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Jiokejohn: 7:41am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

Inasmuch as I mourn for the ill fate that befell David Lyon, let us not forget that the deputy contributed in accruing some percentage of votes to his emergence.
I opined that what affected him should equally impact on their joint ticket. That is why I personally faulted Faleke vs Bello ruling in 2016. Above all, it is high time we reform our electoral act to address all these lacunas and add credence to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Kobicove(m): 7:42am On Feb 14, 2020
cheango:
I feel sad for David Lyon, may we never do business with oloriburuku

His deputy na real oloriburuku grin
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Okoroawusa: 7:43am On Feb 14, 2020
ursullalinda:
After Imo state ruling......No judgment will shock me again in Nigeria......Congrats to the incoming Governor.......if u supported Imo judgement and against this one...... Your hypocrisy has no cure.
But if you r against Imo judgment n accepts this one what happens to your hypocrisy?
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by israelmao(m): 7:46am On Feb 14, 2020
From the legal perspective,Lyon's votes have been voided,he never partook in election because he was unqualified on the basis of certificate forgery therefore,the candidacy of both him and his running mate has been voided.The court ruled that the candidate with the highest number of votes and the requisite constitutional geographical spread should be sworn in.The legal window to explore for Lyon's running mate has been shut on the ground of
non-qualification of Lyon.I have just spoken from the views of legal practitioners who have spoken without ambiguity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by BRASH: 7:47am On Feb 14, 2020
People don't learn from their master.
A single nepa bill or any affidavit would have saved them this shame.

But will this issue make the cow herder ensure an electoral reform? NO

Didn't inec and apc verify the said result? They were only bent on winning the election instead of doing the right thing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Herbalist Arrested For Preparing Charms For IPOB Terrorists, Bomb Recovered (Pix / Oyo 2022: Rauf Olaniyan Has Defected To APC / Obi Vs Tinubu, Shettima: Presidential Elections Tribunal Reserves Judgement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.