Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,149 members, 7,953,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:39 PM

Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon (35822 Views)

Peter Obi, Alex Otti Differ On August 1st Planned Protest (Photos) / Bayelsa Election: 13 Things To Know About David Lyon / Bayelsa Election: David Lyon Leads Duoye Diri With 434,473 Votes - TVC News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by IFIRI(f): 10:08am On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

The deputy candidate should have been disqualified without touching the governor-elect. In the case of James Faleke vs Yahaya Bello, the Supreme Court agreed with APC that a dead candidate can be substituted even after the election. So, why can’t the same apply in this case?

Democracy should be about the people and not about the justices of the Supreme Court. At worst, the court should have ordered another election just like it did in Bauchi some years back when the deputy governor was disqualified. The people should be the ones deciding who rules them and not some justices somewhere.
my dear this is not a dead case but a false documents case
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:15am On Feb 14, 2020
cheango:
I feel sad for David Lyon, may we never do business with oloriburuku
Amen, that deputy gov naa real akoshibero
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by benobyeze(m): 10:19am On Feb 14, 2020
Now the election has been upturned, what becomes of the criminal that caused the problem. Is he still walking the streets of Bayelsa a free man?
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by mushystuff: 10:31am On Feb 14, 2020
saajus:
I think joining the fate of both Guber aspirant and his running mate together is a good law. Some people vote for them because of the running mate, some because of the Guber aspirant.

Is that not why the gullible ones were told to 'Think Osinbajo and Vote Buhari '?
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nasir123(m): 10:31am On Feb 14, 2020
mushystuff:

Academic qualification is a constitutional requirement and also a ground for disqualification. Forgery is a crime! Do you really think this is a mere technicality? In fact criminal proceedings should be instituted against the APC deputy governorship candidate for forgery and perjury because he swore to those forged documents under judicial oath!

Exactly!

We should try to always avoid emotions when discussing a National and Legal issues.
The Deputy messed up!

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Liposure: 10:54am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

You are making progress, now begin your sentences with upper case letters. 'you' should be You and 'i' should be I when they are beginning of sentences.

thank you. I'm beginning to fall for you
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by poiZon: 11:14am On Feb 14, 2020
mushystuff:

First, I have edited my post. Secondly, please fill me in on the Bauchi scenario. I don't quite have the details so I can't comment just yet.
Back to this issue, for Kogi, silly as that was, the greater common sense would have been for Faleke to become the governorship candidate and not nominate one over him just as would have been the case if Audu had died after they had been sworn in. Placing Yahaya over him was based on religious and tribal considerations plus the working relationship would have definitely been sour so that is why Faleke turned it down. Bottom line though is that there was no disqualification and elections had yet to be concluded.

For Bayelsa however, this issue was a pre-election matter. Again by the electoral law, a ticket is joint except that of legislative positions. The fates of both parties are tied and what affects one affects the other too. Like I said, grounds for disqualification do not include death. If the Bayelsa deputy candidate had died(God forbid), we would not be having this scenario. However, he's been caught in a crime of forgery! Since they haven't been sworn in, they are still joined together. Even if they had been sworn in, because it's a pre-election matter, it would have still affected them both because the implication of the judgement is that APC did not have any candidate.

No party can nominate a governorship candidate without a deputy, INEC will not accept such incomplete nomination. The court is therefore saying that since the deputy was not qualified, he was not a candidate ab initio. APC therefore did not have a candidate so their participation in the election is an exercise in futility.
Kogi case cant be compare to this.
Seunmsg is tryng to be economical with the truth.
Before u become a governor u must meet certain procedures which r buy nomination form, stand primaries n get the highest lawful votes cast.
Incase of kogi after the death of audu, though the election was almost donedeal for apc, inec made a declaration which affected faleke n apc.
Faleke did not stand in primaries which is one of the criteria to be governor, he was brought in as a running mate.
Apc thought it wise to bring in bello who came second to continue from where audu stopped.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by sorepco(m): 11:32am On Feb 14, 2020
I c your point. But you should note that fake was never removed as deputy to Bello. He refused to be deputy to SUM1 not remotely involved in the said election. On the other hand I fault the justices for giving the chair to fake since he was deputy to the deceased govnor elect!

quote author=seunmsg post=86633923]

The deputy candidate should have been disqualified without touching the governor-elect. In the case of James Faleke vs Yahaya Bello, the Supreme Court agreed with APC that a dead candidate can be substituted even after the election. So, why can’t the same apply in this case?

Democracy should be about the people and not about the justices of the Supreme Court. At worst, the court should have ordered another election just like it did in Bauchi some years back when the deputy governor was disqualified. The people should be the ones deciding who rules them and not some justices somewhere. [/quote]
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by sorepco(m): 11:36am On Feb 14, 2020
But the death matter concerned just APC. But this one na fraud matter n not internal party matter.

seunmsg:

Faleke was allowed to continue as the deputy governor while Yahaya Bello was brought in as the governorship candidate. The same thing should have happened in Bayelsa. Lyon should have been allowed to continue while the deputy is disqualified. In the alternative, the Bauchi situation where a fresh election was ordered after the deputy governor was disqualified should have happen.

There is nothing democratic about giving victory to a candidate that was overwhelmingly rejected by the people. This is not democracy.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Citytrend: 12:24pm On Feb 14, 2020
I'm sure no body been bad in your family before. Anyway I don't talk too much
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by 7lives: 1:00pm On Feb 14, 2020
mushystuff:

Academic qualification is a constitutional requirement and also a ground for disqualification. Forgery is a crime! Do you really think this is a mere technicality? In fact criminal proceedings should be instituted against the APC deputy governorship candidate for forgery and perjury because he swore to those forged documents under judicial oath!

Thank you, Nigerians need to stop getting unnecessarily emotional about issues like this, are there no better candidate for such position in Bayelsa APC?.
This is precisely what would have happened to Ade dancer, had he won the Osun gubernatorial election.
I just don't get it, qualified people will be available and party will be fielding drop outs.
Ewo l'oshi?, abeg make these ignoramus dem swerve jor.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by princeade86(m): 1:19pm On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

Faleke was allowed to continue as the deputy governor while Yahaya Bello was brought in as the governorship candidate. The same thing should have happened in Bayelsa. Lyon should have been allowed to continue while the deputy is disqualified. In the alternative, the Bauchi situation where a fresh election was ordered after the deputy governor was disqualified should have happen.

There is nothing democratic about giving victory to a candidate that was overwhelmingly rejected by the people. This is not democracy.
they need to allow faleke to continue as a deputy because they both got the vote. People voted for both of them massively. Same things happened to Lyon. Apc need to suspend many people including Oshiomole. They are the one that have fault. Even when the matter was taken to court by another apc, they should have settle it amicably, but with arrogant, they ignored it. Pdp don't dream of this at all. Is apc vs apc sir
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by maasoap(m): 1:29pm On Feb 14, 2020
mushystuff:

There was no forgery, nobody proved that. He used combination of different names on his certificates and nobody contacted the schools where he claimed to have obtained those certificates and proved that they were not belong to him. Lazy ass judgements everywhere
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by maasoap(m): 1:40pm On Feb 14, 2020
ybalogs:
I have read and had witnessed that when any time a Court' judgement should favour the PDP, her party members and the supporters will hail the declaration. When anytime a judgement should favour the APC, the PDP members would, usually blame the APC for interference and manipulation of such a judgement. I had expected that the INEC who has been saddled with the responsibility of conducting verifiable and good elections would not be questioned for their role. Example is the Zamfara saga. The PDP accepted the declaration of the Supreme Court.

The Imo State declaration of the Supreme Court remained unacceptable to the PDP but the one for Bayelsa State would be greeted with ovation. The Imo State matter was taken to Trump of the USA for his instructions to Nigeria that the Judges' decision should be reversed.

The Supreme Court's declaration on the Local Government Chairmen reinstatement was a good one in Ekiti State but in Oyo State wherein the Supreme Court told the PDP that the Governor lacks the power to sack the Chairmen is still been contested by the PDP.

I believe that to some extent, people should have confidence in the determination of the Supreme Court Judges, perceived/interpreted collectively or individually as either bad or good.

PDP is an unfortunate party with unfortunate party members. Any judgement that favours is a good and well delivered judgement. But the ones that don't favour is a miscarriage of justice.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Godslink: 2:02pm On Feb 14, 2020
Justice Mary Odili is the wife of Mr.Peter Odili the former governor of Rivers State....what a bold and courageous judgement?
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CanadaOrBust: 2:56pm On Feb 14, 2020
ybalogs:
I have read and had witnessed that when any time a Court' judgement should favour the PDP, her party members and the supporters will hail the declaration. When anytime a judgement should favour the APC, the PDP members would, usually blame the APC for interference and manipulation of such a judgement. I had expected that the INEC who has been saddled with the responsibility of conducting verifiable and good elections would not be questioned for their role. Example is the Zamfara saga. The PDP accepted the declaration of the Supreme Court.

The Imo State declaration of the Supreme Court remained unacceptable to the PDP but the one for Bayelsa State would be greeted with ovation. The Imo State matter was taken to Trump of the USA for his instructions to Nigeria that the Judges' decision should be reversed.

The Supreme Court's declaration on the Local Government Chairmen reinstatement was a good one in Ekiti State but in Oyo State wherein the Supreme Court told the PDP that the Governor lacks the power to sack the Chairmen is still been contested by the PDP.

I believe that to some extent, people should have confidence in the determination of the Supreme Court Judges, perceived/interpreted collectively or individually as either bad or good.

The Imo state case is waayyyu out of bounds. It is simply not in the same league with any of the rest. In that case the SC aided and abetted clear FRAUD that is clear to everyone is fraud!

Notice in that case they said nothing about meeting “the required constitutional geographical spread of votes” because they know the numbers make no sense - the man gave himself 2 times the registered number of voters in some places!
Then INEC literally gave him certificate the very next day, carefully making sure NOT to release final tally of votes (because they know they’d be laughed at!)

I’m not into politics at all, but here is what someone into Imo politics wrote (and u just know he is telling the truth):

Imo people did not vote for Hope! Hope didn't even campaign in Imo because of the APC crises between him and Rochas who was fronting his in-law, Uche Nwosu.

On the day of the election, Hope and some APC loyalists were lodged in a Hotel in Owerri writing results after INEC announced results. They brought the results and were compelling returning officer to announce but he refused that it was fake that even party reps have raised the alarm.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Adams12345: 4:13pm On Feb 14, 2020
seunmsg:

Sadly, the people’s decision was not considered at all by the justices of the Supreme Court. David Lyon won the election clearly, he should never have been denied the right fruit of his victory simply because of a technical issue.

that is why the law is supreme, the poeple made the law, the law is being interpreted concerning the of forgery case close, this should be an example for those who think they can get to power through dubious means
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by bonnyhope: 6:40pm On Feb 14, 2020
mushystuff:

First, I have edited my post. Secondly, please fill me in on the Bauchi scenario. I don't quite have the details so I can't comment just yet.
Back to this issue, for Kogi, silly as that was, the greater common sense would have been for Faleke to become the governorship candidate and not nominate one over him just as would have been the case if Audu had died after they had been sworn in. Placing Yahaya over him was based on religious and tribal considerations plus the working relationship would have definitely been sour so that is why Faleke turned it down. Bottom line though is that there was no disqualification and elections had yet to be concluded.

For Bayelsa however, this issue was a pre-election matter. Again by the electoral law, a ticket is joint except that of legislative positions. The fates of both parties are tied and what affects one affects the other too. Like I said, grounds for disqualification do not include death. If the Bayelsa deputy candidate had died(God forbid), we would not be having this scenario. However, he's been caught in a crime of forgery! Since they haven't been sworn in, they are still joined together. Even if they had been sworn in, because it's a pre-election matter, it would have still affected them both because the implication of the judgement is that APC did not have any candidate.

No party can nominate a governorship candidate without a deputy, INEC will not accept such incomplete nomination. The court is therefore saying that since the deputy was not qualified, he was not a candidate ab initio. APC therefore did not have a candidate so their participation in the election is an exercise in futility.

Good one

Nigerians most times judge a case base on sentiment
The law is there for everyone to see
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Kfed4ril(m): 10:06am On Feb 16, 2020
seunmsg:

Funny how you supported SC judgement on Imo state and you’re against same SC judgement of Bayelsa State.
If the couldn’t order a fresh election in the case of Imo state then Same should be For Bayelsa State.
Stop being a hypocrite.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 18, 2020
Vortex369:

First of all, it is NOT sentiment. And if Justice is blind, then it is not justice because Justice is not supposed to be blind, but Justice is supposed to be about Truth.

Truth that it is the Responsibility of INEC to vet and verify Certificates, and not the Governorship Candidate, in fact an individual needs legal permit to verify another person's credentials in Educational Institution and must show cause before court or police grants you a warrant to initiate such case.

So you can see it is the prerogative of INEC to vet, verify and approve a Candidate, but if INEC failed to do their job, a Justice system is supposed to revert back to INEC with their observation and then INEC will launch an investigation and take blame for their inactions and then we can begin to either plan a new election or assign the winner a new person to deputize. That is a legally tenable negotiation process in a system that Governance is for the people.

Because majority of the 'People' in Democracy voted for a particular party and a particular candidate based on their salesmanship, their manifesto and the content of Character.

Now Supreme Court has become a Cash and Carry Cabal, very silly people think they are.
Very well said. Can losing candidates in such cases sue INEC? Does INEC have immunity from being sued?
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 18, 2020
GenBuhari:
Very well said. Can losing candidates in such cases sue INEC? Does INEC have immunity from being sued?

Independent Electoral Commissions have no immunity in a democracy. But this is not democracy. Nigeria is practicing Ethno-religious Feudalism.

Look it up
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 18, 2020
Vortex369:

Independent Electoral Commissions have no immunity in a democracy. But this is not democracy. Nigeria is practicing Ethno-religious Feudalism.

Look it up
LoL.
I definitely agree that we are not practicing democracy and INEC is rig any election they can get away with rigging .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Suspension: Senator Chimaroke Nnamani Designs New Posters For Tinubu / Lot Of People Migrated From The SE Just To Vote In Lagos - Lagos INEC REC. / Check Out This APC Plane *jirgin Chanji*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.