Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,082 members, 7,821,721 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

How To Make An Anti-rust Coating Using Lanolin - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Make An Anti-rust Coating Using Lanolin (1051 Views)

5 Ways To Keep The Metal Parts Of Your Car Rust-free / A Cost Effective Way To Undercoat Your Car And Prevent Rust / Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Make An Anti-rust Coating Using Lanolin by Kokomo: 11:05am On Feb 16, 2020
It is not uncommon to buy car from auction site or other source abroad that might have various degree of rust on them, in fact I recently bought one with a nasty rust.

In the past , to get rid of this, I used black-Kolta popularly know as antirust by panel beater, it disadvantage is that the black-kolta harden to a sort of rubberisd substantnce and the rust simple continue to grow underneeth the applied kolta, it is even worst when water get in between the kolta and the car frame.

Another alternative was to apply used engine or transmission fluid, why this might slow down the rust, it however washes off easily and the rust will continue.

Another option was the used of the rather expensive Rustoleum checmical (bull crap) and use of Rubberised undercoating, but same old same old.

After doing much research, I came across a natural product used in making cream and polish called Lanolin (google it). Lanolin is a natural non-organic lubricant wax gotten from sheep and ram. It is the key raw material used in expensive rust proofing product such as FLUID FILM and WOOLWAX (not available in Nigeria). Lanolin is sold at Ojota chemical market, I bought 1k own which was sufficient for my application, it even remain self.

To use it, you need a paint brush, sand paper or wire brush a container to pour in the Lanolin and may be pay 500 naira to use a filling station lube bay for 30mins. You can used you jack stand if you don mind working on your back.

To prepare the lanolin antirust, you can either heat it up a bit so that it dissolve and apply it with your paint brush or spray gun, me I just buy 100 naira empy spray bottle or you can apply it with a brush in it waxy form.

The fluid film created is rugged as hell and it repell water very well, it also hinders oxidation increase rust.

Warning - This product smell like fried ileya meat -- so small smell go dey your body or car for a day or two.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make An Anti-rust Coating Using Lanolin by timifakay(m): 7:14pm On Feb 16, 2020
Will be nice if you could post pictures

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo 2003 Corolla Available For Hire Purchase / My Honda Accord Not Accelerating Well. / Check Out Photos Of Some Of The World's Weirdest Car Accident.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.