Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) (5232 Views)

Where Can I Get This Undercarriage Cleaning Kits / State Of The Art Undercarriage Repair System / Peugeot Unveils N2million Electric Mountain Bicycle With In-frame Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 22, 2017
I have been delaying on dealing with this issue of rust in my Xterra, so I want to throw this question out here. I've got extensive undercarriage rust on my truck, and I want to know whether I should just swap the frame out, or if it can still be redeemed with a fix for the rusted parts. I have no intention of parting with the car because of it's sentimental value.

Auto tech experts, your view would be highly appreciated. Pictures are here:

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 22, 2017
I would consider this an interesting project, but first i need to know what approach to take. I'd appreciate your inputs

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 22, 2017
I'm thinking of doing something like this (Frame swap): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvUkkyZYCs
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Kufie(m): 8:50pm On Oct 22, 2017
Interesting. Is this a 3rd Generation 4runner?
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 10:43pm On Oct 22, 2017
No, its a 1st gen Nissan Xterra
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by kinguwem: 6:55am On Oct 23, 2017
Hope it is not a flood savaged vehicle?
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by diportivo: 7:16am On Oct 23, 2017
canada car

let me park here and learn

someone with grey hair will come here now and say car should be in limp mode cos of this rust lipsrsealed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 23, 2017
Lol @diportivo you guessed right. how did you know it was a Canada car?
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by diportivo: 7:25am On Oct 23, 2017
Gridlock:
Lol @dipo.rtivo you guessed right. how did you know it was a Canada car?

cars from Canada always come with various degrees of rust.... and are some times cheaper than those from the USA....emphasis on the "sometimes"

I use one too.....although its origin isn't Canada

I recommend rust fix

but,my ogas are here to shed more light

1 Like

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 23, 2017
kinguwem:
Hope it is not a flood savaged vehicle?
No its not.
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Inception(m): 11:34am On Oct 23, 2017
diportivo:
canada car

someone with grey hair will come here now and say car should be in limp mode cos of this rust lipsrsealed

Chei!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by diportivo: 11:37am On Oct 23, 2017
Inception:

Chei!

grin grin grin grin

don't blame me bros,

1 Like

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2017
If I want to go with the rust fix, then it's something I can do myself. The only challenge here is, I don't have a means of raising the vehicle high enough to my liking.

Right now i've got (as part of my DIY toolkit at home)

* Handheld Cordless Drill
* Wirebrush drill bit
* Steel wool
* Safety goggles

I'm going to buy:
* Sandpaper 1200 grit
* Corded Drill (don't want to wait in between battery charges)
* Head-mounted Lamp
* Four 2-ton jack stands

I'll update with pics as I progress. However, I'm still awaiting the experts (nurey, gazzuzz, nissparts) comments on the approach to take
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by nurey(m): 1:01pm On Oct 23, 2017
Vehicle rust is a chemical reaction and yours has reached a critical stage, you cant fix rust with those equipment you listed, you can only reduce its spread.

Rust is like AIDS, you can cure it by drinking chlorine/bleach but obviously you did kill the human grin

Best approach to rust is to clean/scrape the rust area, then galvanize the metal utilizing the electrolysis process shocked then coat the finished metal surface with the right rust protection paint.

3 Likes

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 23, 2017
nurey:
Vehicle rust is a chemical reaction and yours has reached a critical stage, you cant fix rust with those equipment you listed, you can only reduce its spread.

Rust is like AIDS, you can cure it by drinking chlorine/bleach but obviously you did kill the human grin

Best approach to rust is to clean/scrape the rust area, then galvanize the metal utilizing the electrolysis process shocked then coat the finished metal surface with the right rust protection paint.
Thanks for the input. I actually planned to completely knock of all the parts that are flaking, then wirebrush/sand down the remaining so as to get as close to bare metal as possible. Galvanization may be out of it because of the size of the affected parts (there is no elecrolytic bath that can contain that ladder frame, lol).

About the rust-protection coating, what would you recommend?
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by nurey(m): 1:35pm On Oct 23, 2017
Gridlock:

Thanks for the input. I actually planned to completely knock of all the parts that are flaking, then wirebrush/sand down the remaining so as to get as close to bare metal as possible. Galvanization may be out of it because of the size of the affected parts (there is no elecrolytic bath that can contain that ladder frame, lol).

About the rust-protection coating, what would you recommend?

Yours is the first DIY i have seen on this issue in Nigeria though my Dads benz E200 has been cured of rust during its time cheesy. The panel beater uses something equivalent to coal tar, blackish in colour and oily so water doesnt stick to it, by my focus and research, it is more like a oily Glossy paint finish.
The oversea based products i could find with good review are POR15 and Oleum Rust reformer

cc Egunmogaji, Sultan, erico2k2
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 23, 2017
Awesome. I did some digging around and there's a guy who distributes rust-oleum products in Nigeria: http://www.icalphabravo.com/pages/help-and-support/contact-us/contact-us.html

He has RustOleum Rust Reformer, and he can deliver within Lagos. I'm waiting for his response.
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by nurey(m): 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2017
Gridlock:
Awesome. I did some digging around and there's a guy who distributes rust-oleum products in Nigeria: http://www.icalphabravo.com/pages/help-and-support/contact-us/contact-us.html

He has RustOleum Rust Reformer, and he can deliver within Lagos. I'm waiting for his response.

Baba you seriously have a lot of work to do, are you going to pieces the suspension and leg parts and scrape them individually? because with what i am seeing here, the work wey dey no be childs play, especially the linkage, lower arm and all those rusted bolts and nuts embarassed

If you pull this through baba, you will have my respect for life and nah to come learn work for your side, got me one rusted Peugeot 406 i did like to restore grin make una start to dey pre-order am ooooo. The last tokunbo 406 in town

2 Likes

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2017
It's worth a try. I have no issue with scraping the parts individually myself (I am betting this project will take weeks), but of course i might get the assistance of an expert to dismantle those parts.
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 2:43pm On Oct 23, 2017
nurey:

Yours is the first DIY i have seen on this issue in Nigeria though my Dads benz E200 has been cured of rust during its time cheesy. The panel beater uses something equivalent to coal tar, blackish in colour and oily so water doesnt stick to it, by my focus and research, it is more like a oily Glossy paint finish.
The oversea based products i could find with good review are POR15 and Oleum Rust reformer

cc Egunmogaji, Sultan, erico2k2
I will say that going by the pics up there, the parts that are removable should be replaced ie tie rod,if need be use the electrolysis method,Did your car come into the country circa 2013? frm the US?

1 Like

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by nurey(m): 2:45pm On Oct 23, 2017
erico2k2:

I will say that going by the pics up there, the parts that are removable should be replaced ie tie rod,if need be use the electrolysis method,Did your car come into the country circa 2013? frm the US?

cc Gridlock
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 2:48pm On Oct 23, 2017
Gridlock:
It's worth a try. I have no issue with scraping the parts individually myself (I am betting this project will take weeks), but of course i might get the assistance of an expert to dismantle those parts.
You will definitely need heat source.
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 23, 2017
erico2k2:

No, it came in from Toronto. Early 2014
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 23, 2017
erico2k2:

You will definitely need heat source.
This is noted. Blowtorch-style or heat gun?
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 7:24pm On Oct 23, 2017
Gridlock:

This is noted. Blowtorch-style or heat gun?
Blowtorch to get those rusted bolts off.You will also need some lub
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 7:25pm On Oct 23, 2017
Gridlock:

No, it came in from Toronto. Early 2014
Ok, your rust looks like them salt water infection.
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 26, 2017
I've received the RustOleum Rust Reformer (a 5-liter container) and spray cans of RustOleum Epoxy. Scrubbing starts on Saturday morning grin grin
If it turns out that the rot is too far gone, I'll have to do a frame swap.

2 Likes

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by timifakay(m): 12:59pm On Oct 26, 2017
diportivo:
canada car

Actually, he says Limb. grin
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 28, 2017
It's Saturday! I'm using the rear door striker plate as my test subject. So I start by prepping the spare wheel tool area. It's full of sand and dirt, so Vacuum cleaner first

1 Like

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 28, 2017
After vacuuming. Did I mention that you'll need a portable vacuum cleaner for this? Yeah.
You'll see that suddenly the rust doesn't look so bad. But i'm not done yet.

2 Likes

Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 28, 2017
I need to remove all oil and gunk from this area. I didnt think something this small would warrant using degreaser, so i just used a toothbrush and a bowl of detergent.
Re: Extensive Undercarriage Rust - Frame Swap Or Rust Fix? (Pics) by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 28, 2017
After scrubbing with brush:

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. / Transportation Business With Toyota Sienna / I Need A Car To Take Do Taxi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.