Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,686 members, 7,820,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis (27032 Views)

Nollywood Actor, Dejumo Lewis Is Dead / Dejumo Lewis Dies At 80 / Phyno Hangs Out With Lewis Hamilton In Spain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Nobody: 3:52am On Feb 18, 2020
Ademola Olonilua

For theatre veteran, Dejumo Lewis popularly known for his role in the classic drama, ‘Village Headmaster,’ one major thing that irks him about the movie industry is the term Nollywood, and he made his disdain known to Saturday Beats during a recent interview.

While sharing his opinion, the legendary actor said that Nigerians were copying the wrong things from Hollywood instead of carving a niche for themselves if they wanted to be taken seriously.

“Hollywood in America is the cradle of film making and it is a physical location. Where is Nollywood in Nigeria? I absolutely condemn the name Nollywood and I have the highest aversion for that term. We are just copy cats even though they have very good things we can copy, but we copy the wrong things. People keep on complaining about the general content coming out of the so-called Nollywood.

“The word Nolly implies negativity. I studied Latin and the word nolly means nothing. It is a negative thing. They say that the term has been established all over the world but I reply them saying that there is corruption all over the world, just like Nigeria but are we not doing something about it? Are we not trying to fight and correct corruption? So we can also correct that colonial mentality and make our industry known globally as Naija movie industry,” he said.

https://punchng.com/i-have-a-strong-dislike-for-the-term-nollywood-dejumo-lewis/

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Aidejay(m): 6:53am On Feb 18, 2020
Nollywood is a $5 billion industry.
I can assure you, the name don't matter.
Modified

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by busterr(m): 6:58am On Feb 18, 2020
Lol this one Don smoke

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Bolacarpainter: 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2020
Dejumo Lewis is one veteran actor I have so much respect for

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by potent5(m): 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2020
Mr man, find out why it was given the name, Nollywood and stop this unnecessary criticism. Must you bring Latin semantic into Nigerian situation? Jealousy no go kill some people. Because nollywood came after you had left the scene you are here talking rubbish. Nonsense.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by YorubaLord: 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2020
Of course... 95% of Nigerians are product of mediocrity!

33 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Elock1: 12:23pm On Feb 18, 2020
grin so should we now change it to lagoswood or abawood or what

somethings are just irrelevant to discuss..nollywood is just their nickname sir
look at bollywood and zollywood.

Widaz_KLUB

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Sanchez01: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
Lol! I share his sentiment as well but let's face it, Nigeria isn't the only country that has copied the 'wood' thing.

There is Bollywood, Ghollywood and Nollywood and other unknown 'llywoods' out there.

The term is now used to refer to a country's movie industry than the cradle of American movies itself.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by BizBayo: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
He didn't say anything

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Perfecttouchade: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
cool set awon Olu Jacobs

9 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Imstrong2(m): 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
Nothing wood undecided?

1 Like

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by JuanCarlosMeter: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
[s]
YorubaLord:
Of course... Nigerians are product of mediocrity!
[/s]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Giftexx: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
U spoke my mind sir.

“Hollywood is a place in USA.
...where’s Nollywood in Nigeria?”
Instead of building a world class film village, and call it a good name, we are blindly copying...

What a mockery in a comity of nations

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
Nigga made a lot of sense, but who's gonna admit that?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by proclinician: 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2020
Amotekun must hear this.

2 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Patrioticman007(m): 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2020
Giftexx:
U spoke my mind sir.

Hollywood is a place in USA.
...where’s Nollywood in Nigeria?
Instead of building a world class film village, and call it a good name, we are blindly copying...

What a mockery among committee of nations

Copy Copy should be South East Motto, because they dominate Molly firewood, What do you expect from a land that imitates everything from fake drugs to fake shoes, fake cloths everything is fake down there. Last week channels TV reported a case of Igbos caught producing fake Hero alcoholic Beers to public consumptions, imagine as if Hero beer is not fake enough, they had to fake a fake.
Thousands of Nigerians are dead because of these imitation mentality, may God see us...............

11 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by HAKYN1: 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2020
Aidejay:
Daddy yo if no be for this one wey you talk I don forget say person like you exist. So, enjoy the few hours of Fame and relevance you'll receive for practically saying nothing worth reading, about a $50 billion industry.

Always think before you talk, it guides against sensel*ss comments

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by princeade86(m): 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2020
But u love the term of Hollywood. Hypocrisy is a disease and crime

1 Like

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by careytommy37(m): 12:26pm On Feb 18, 2020
Me too grin

1 Like

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Jeezuzpick(m): 12:26pm On Feb 18, 2020
Anyone who doesn't know Dejumo Lewis doesn't deserve to know him.
He was one of the best back when acting was......well......acting!
Now?
Just forget it!
Just like the music industry that is serving a local pool of lovers of the same old nonsense, "Nollywood" is hardly getting any international attention, yet we think it's a big deal.
The Chinese League is a money-spinner, yet the world doesn't take it seriously. That's what Nollywood is like.

6 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 18, 2020
vote for Nollywood name replacement
Name options : Lagos,Calabar, TINAPA the film studio that Donald Duke built, Zuma rock ,Olumo Rock . which one? It must be a physical place .

2 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by okrote4real: 12:28pm On Feb 18, 2020
Nollywood is bigger than other woods except Bollywood. Baba, you think e dey easy?
Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Monaco2(m): 12:30pm On Feb 18, 2020
Nollywood is not a 50billion dollar industry like someone said up there, it’s a 3billion dollar industry

5 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by yawehoverall: 12:30pm On Feb 18, 2020
And then what?

What have you done to change that? It's easy to sit and just criticize.. typical nature of followers.. leaders make impacts.

3 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Pidginwhisper: 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2020
Sanchez01:
Lol! I share his sentiment as well but let's face it, Nigeria isn't the only country that has copied the 'wood' thing.

There is Bollywood, Ghollywood and Nollywood and other unknown 'llywoods' out there.

The term is now used to refer to a country's movie industry than the cradle of American movies itself.
You forgot Kannywood,Yorubawood and igbowood grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by ENGINEERG(m): 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2020
Ada is father in igbira tribe, and cutlass in Yoruba,,should igbira change it cos of another people meaning ....

2 Likes

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 12:34pm On Feb 18, 2020
not you alone, mine is a phobia
Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by DRPAIT123(m): 12:36pm On Feb 18, 2020
soleilmoon100:
Ademola Olonilua

https://punchng.com/i-have-a-strong-dislike-for-the-term-nollywood-dejumo-lewis/
The same way some people don't like the name 'naija' to be the same as Nigeria

1 Like

Re: I Have A Strong Dislike For The Term Nollywood – Dejumo Lewis by Olumyyde(m): 12:37pm On Feb 18, 2020
Aidejay:
Daddy yo if no be for this one wey you talk I don forget say person like you exist. So, enjoy the few hours of Fame and relevance you'll receive for practically saying nothing worth reading, about a $50 billion industry.
Smartphones n data gave voice to all. SMH.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Flavour Thrills Fans At Sold-out Music Concert In New York / Zack Orji Speaks On Tithing & Those Who Condemn Tithing And Pastors (Video) / Drama On Instagram As Another Woman Claims She's Carrying Davido's Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.