Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,679 members, 7,823,917 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! (36068 Views)

Photo From Sikiru Adeshina 'Arakangudu' Burial In His Home Town Today / Throwback Pix Of Young Jengbetiele And Barister In His Living Room. / Picture Of Dr Sikiru Ayinde Barrister On Sick Bed Before His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by oluagness(m): 9:41am On Dec 17, 2010
rip
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by reindeer: 9:50am On Dec 17, 2010
RIP to the Alhaji. . .
but come o, when are Nigerians going to stop dying in a "London Hospital"?
I just imagine the costs for healthcare, the transport to and well . . fro ,
Nigeria is sure losing a lot.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by kemisuga(f): 10:02am On Dec 17, 2010
r.i.p
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by kaymoney2(m): 10:06am On Dec 17, 2010
ALHAJI agba rest in the bossom of the lord** till we meet to part no more*
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Olumogun: 10:07am On Dec 17, 2010
Another big loss to the entertainment world.

the elderly and useful  muscicians are leaving the stage for the saggy and the baggy, heavy chain wearing touts.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Amalaaba: 10:15am On Dec 17, 2010
He was the first to start fuji music after he left the army in the early 70s. He introduced fuji music to Kollington and his musics were all full of messages and knowledge but unfortunately, Kollington introduced insults into fuji music. . .

I pray for the repose of his soul. He was a legend. I cannot agree with myself which of the following FANTASIA, GABBAGE & EXTRAVANGAZA would be the best in my memory among Fuji classics.

I however have a big issue with him and some of his followers who claimed that he invented FUJI, This is a big lie. For those of us who lived through the evolution of Fuji in the west, you cannot but be worried about how people allow others to arrogate fake titles to themselves without being challenged.

Just as Sunny Ade cannot claim to invent Juju, Daddy Shokey cannot claim to invent "Swoo" or :Swagger" , Or Mandators cannot claim to invent Nigerian Reggae, 2Face cannot claim,   to invent the current Nigerian Hip Hop, it is rape of history and truth for him to claim sole ownership of Fuji. "Were" evolved into Fuji. That is the truth.

As for obscenity, all of them including Sunny, Obey (Now Pastor) sang X rated songs but in a more decent way suitable for their time.

Many may not like this, but it is true. AYINDE OLAYINKA Alias BARRISTER DID NOT CREATE, INVENT OR CONCEIVE FUJI. Period.

Barrister was a great man and he has contributed to our musical history. He is a legend! May his soul rest in peace!
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by oludashmi(f): 10:28am On Dec 17, 2010
Amalaaba:

He was the first to start fuji music after he left the army in the early 70s. He introduced fuji music to Kollington and his musics were all full of messages and knowledge but unfortunately, Kollington introduced "ashakasa" into fuji music. . .

I pray for the repose of his soul. He was a legend. I cannot agree with myself which of the following FANTASIA, GABBAGE & EXTRAVANGAZA would be the best in my memory among Fuji classics.

I however have a big issue with him and some of his followers who claimed that he invented FUJI, This is a big lie. For those of us who lived through the evolution of Fuji in the west, you cannot but be worried about how people allow others to arrogate fake titles to themselves without being challenged.

Just as Sunny Ade cannot claim to invent Juju, Daddy Shokey cannot claim to invent "Swoo" or :Swagger" , Or Mandators cannot claim to invent Nigerian Reggae, 2Face cannot claim,   to invent the current Nigerian Hip Hop, it is despoil of history and truth for him to claim sole ownership of Fuji. "Were" evolved into Fuji. That is the truth.

As for obscenity, all of them including Sunny, Obey (Now Pastor) sang X rated songs but in a more decent way suitable for their time.

Many may not like this, but it is true. AYINDE OLAYINKA Alias BARRISTER DID NOT CREATE, INVENT OR CONCEIVE FUJI. Period.

Barrister was a great man and he has contributed to our musical history. He is a legend! May his soul rest in peace!

pls attend to the boldened statement
Its good you said, he didnt start fuji, but it will be better if you tell us who started it cos someone starts something b4 it is passed to others. It did not just begin as a coincidence. . . .who started it or who was the first in history to sing FUJI? Without a[b] reasonable, convincing and proved answer[/b], you might just be wrong.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 17, 2010
Wow who could have thought we have plenty old skool Nigerians/ Lagosians who really enjoyed good music back then here on nairaland? Its a good feeling cos most of these generation kids doesnt know how good the likes of Shina peters in the 90s(ACE afroo juju) K1 with yuppy, consolidation, legacy. Salawa abeni, price adekunle, Yk ajao, Gen Ayinla kolinton etc was back then. We enjoyed good music.

I saw K1's interview on how barrister trained as wasiu was a packer boy under barrister who used to carry speakers for barrister to performance stages. So barrister made K1 what he is in terms of mentoring and training
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Amalaaba: 11:01am On Dec 17, 2010
Madam, Fuji evolved from from "Were" period. There were many other "Ajiwere" musicians from time immemorial  playing :were" to wake people (Especially Muslims) for Ramadan breakfast. This was a traditional thing. By the 50s to 60s and with the coming of recording companies such as DECCA and so on, there was a need to start recording when these "were" groups started forming themselves into "bands". Off course, recording required that they must be better organised and their output needed to become more sophisticated so they introduced "Set", Bata, Flute, Guitar and many others. There were many bands around Ita garawu and Isale Eko in general! If my memory serves me right, there was one Isikabaka in Kwara and off course many others in the whole of the Yoruba nation.

Fuji is a term that was associated with fun: Something like "Lets enjoy"! It was commonly used for having fun, but by the late 60s it got stuck to "Were" because Juju had already acquired an identity.

You see Madam, I love Barrister Ayinde, but it is not fair to the other contributors to allow him have what is not his own. In his frst record, he did not claim to be singing FUJI. One would have expected an inventor to define such very early.

When Fela changed from Jazz to Highlife and then to Afrobeat, this was clearly defined.

Fuji, just like Highlife evolved over time; Osadebe, Mensah, Olaiya, Benson cannot singularly claim the invention. This is different from FELA and AFROBEAT!

I rest my case!
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Basildon1(m): 11:02am On Dec 17, 2010
RIP Sikiru!
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by caspapa(m): 11:08am On Dec 17, 2010
Rest in Peace Barry Wonder.  what a great life you live.

My favourite is Barry At 40.  I can still remember a bit of it,

Omo o e i pe dagba, omo o e i pe dagba
Bi barry wonder se dagba to di 40, omo o e i pe dagba
(the drum beat grin keredike keredike, gbi gbi gbi grin)

Olojo ibi emi e a se 50 o, omo o e i pe dagba.
Olojo ibi emi e a se 60 o, omo o e i pe dagba.

Olojo ibi magbese nikankan, feso ma jo, ijo onikan.
Oba feso ma jo ijo onikan, feso ma jo, ijo onikan.

Ere dojo opon o, aditu orin ede.
Irowo elegbe mi e meesowo o
(igbo language meesonu change to meesowo yoruba lang. for hands-to stop the beat)

Omele lowo Sule ayinde ade mi omowon loni yole ma ba e deledele.
Morufu mi Eniola pelu Ajara Kabiru mi, omele ko maro oo wemuwemu ere ya oo.
Sekere lowo, and so on.

The beauty of the song was the way Barrister arranged the song and the way each of the instrumentalist come into play when he mentioned their names.  It was awesome.  He really deserved the PHD.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Akainzo(m): 11:11am On Dec 17, 2010
Amalaaba:

Madam, Fuji evolved from from "Were" period. There were many other "Ajiwere" musicians from time immemorial  playing :were" to wake people (Especially Muslims) for Ramadan breakfast. This was a traditional thing. By the 50s to 60s and with the coming of recording companies such as DECCA and so on, there was a need to start recording when these "were" groups started forming themselves into "bands". Off course, recording required that they must be better organised and their output needed to become more sophisticated so they introduced "Set", Bata, Flute, Guitar and many others. There were many bands around Ita garawu and Isale Eko in general! If my memory serves me right, there was one Isikabaka in Kwara and off course many others in the whole of the Yoruba nation.

Fuji is a term that was associated with fun: Something like "Lets enjoy"! It was commonly used for having fun, but by the late 60s it got stuck to "Were" because Juju had already acquired an identity.

You see Madam, I love Barrister Ayinde, but it is not fair to the other contributors to allow him have what is not his own. In his frst record, he did not claim to be singing FUJI. One would have expected an inventor to define such very early.

When Fela changed from Jazz to Highlife and then to Afrobeat, this was clearly defined.

Fuji, just like Highlife evolved over time; Osadebe, Mensah, Olaiya, Benson cannot singularly claim the invention. This is different from FELA and AFROBEAT!

I rest my case!  

My dear, you are quite correct that Fuji [/i]evolved from [i]Were.  However, the fact that the aeroplane evolved as  result of the petrol engine does not in anyway mean that the Wright Brothers did not invent the aeroplane regardless of the person that invented the combustion engine.

Though Were [/i]was the building block of [i]Fuji, it was not Fuji. Ayinde infused the guitar and other instruments into Were [/i]to create [i]Fuji. Thus he created Fuji.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by holydante(m): 11:13am On Dec 17, 2010
eiyahhh, i didn't know much about him since i grew up elsewhere but he has been so good to my sister at the hospital, even on his death bed, doling out gifts, words of encouragement and kindness.

may his soul rest in perfect peace and consolation to his loved ones and teeming fans.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by yoni1977: 11:21am On Dec 17, 2010
May Allah grant him Aljana Firdau
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Amalaaba: 11:41am On Dec 17, 2010
Check out this list: Grover Washington, Earl Klugg, Duke Elington, Luis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Oscar Peterson, Which among them invented JAZZ?

Sir, Kollington introduced "Omele", "Bata", "Set" and other artiste introduced so many contraptions; some worked but some failed. Guitar? I'm not sure Sikiru was actually the first to introduced Guitar, maybe someone can help me with the info, by the way, it also failed!

I hope we can get more informed comments to help us out, This is an old debate. I'm not surprise it is coming up now.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by sesman(m): 12:04pm On Dec 17, 2010
RIP Alhaji Agba!!! sad
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by sley4life(m): 12:24pm On Dec 17, 2010
may his gentle soul rip
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by oludashmi(f): 12:41pm On Dec 17, 2010
Akainzo:

My dear, you are quite correct that Fuji [/i]evolved from [i]Were.  However, the fact that the aeroplane evolved as  result of the petrol engine does not in anyway mean that the Wright Brothers did not invent the aeroplane regardless of the person that invented the combustion engine.

Though Were [/i]was the building block of [i]Fuji, it was not Fuji. Ayinde infused the guitar and other instruments into Were [/i]to create [i]Fuji. Thus he created Fuji.

Thank you. Exactly what I was about telling him. The addition of one instrument or the other would give it a new sound and separate it from its origin.

Amalaaba:

Check out this list: Grover Washington, Earl Klugg, Duke Elington, Luis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Oscar Peterson, Which among them invented JAZZ?

Sir, Kollington introduced "Omele", "Bata", "Set" and other artiste introduced so many contraptions; some worked but some failed. Guitar? I'm not sure Sikiru was actually the first to introduced Guitar, maybe someone can help me with the info, by the way, it also failed!

I hope we can get more informed comments to help us out, This is an old debate. I'm not surprise it is coming up now.

Anyway, if we can ascertain the boldened.
But which ever way, if he was the first to add guitar to 'were' and record it (giving it a different sound/beat), then the truth is not far fetched.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by barakah(m): 12:49pm On Dec 17, 2010
Why are we all of a sudden "sad" when an elderly person dies? Let us look at the bigger picture here.

He had a good life, he left behind a legacy and arguably laid the path for today's fuji musician - From KWAM 1 down to your Obesere. Some will even say he is on "over time" as he was past the life expectancy in naija.

Don't get me wrong, I am not being insensitive, but will rather celebrate his achievements. On contrast, it was sad when Dagrin and Someone like Bawomolo departed, because they had their whole life in front of them.

Personally, like I said, I don't see the need to be sad, but instead celebrate his life. I'm sitting here bumping "Salubata ni mo wo mi o gbo do shu bu". That is some good freaking old school fuji song right there.

Celebrate my people. What's your favourite song of Alhaji Agba? For me it is "Salubata" and Fuji Garbage. Anyone remember the fuji garbage dance? That is some good old times mehn.

Well said.
Lets celebrate the achiever.
He reaaly did leave something.
Alot infact.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Pukkah: 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2010
Remii:

Olorun lo loun gbogbo t'eda le da laye nbi
Olorun lo loun gbogbo t'eda le da laye nbi
Mo l'owo, mo l'oogun, mo tun bi 'mo
Mo k'ole mo, k'aase mo tun laso
Mo lowo mo ro'ko ton fo
Ojojo'ka lao pada ji'senle
Olorun lo gbo gbo teda le laye

Sabarumo je die l'obi k'eyin to pon
Omo oluyole je die l'amola dudu
Ijebu won wa die gari kan i yo
Afonja won je die ni warankasi
Sikiru Ayinde ko die l'odu, orin wuwo jurin lo
Alayinde ko die lodu Orin wuwo jurin lo.

This is nostalgic!
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Pukkah: 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2010
toba:

Wow who could have thought we have plenty old skool Nigerians/ Lagosians who really enjoyed good music back then here on nairaland? Its a good feeling cos most of these generation kids doesnt know how good the likes of Shina peters in the 90s(ACE afroo juju) K1 with yuppy, consolidation, legacy. Salawa abeni, price adekunle, Yk ajao, Gen Ayinla kolinton etc was back then. We enjoyed good music.

I saw K1's interview on how[b] barrister trained as wasiu was a packer boy under barrister who used to carry speakers for barrister to performance stages. So barrister made K1 what he is in terms of mentoring and training [/b]

Correct. In fact, Wasiu (KWAM 1 or K1) started out as Wasiu Ayinde Barrister and was in the shadows of Ayinde Barrister for some time.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by lovejo(m): 1:39pm On Dec 17, 2010
RIP, BARRY THE GREAT
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by fiselag: 1:44pm On Dec 17, 2010
RIP. The Fuji Creator
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by ochukoccna: 1:49pm On Dec 17, 2010
RIP, Barry WONDER.
Went to school with some of his children way back in Isolo.
My condolences to Yusuf and his siblings.
Hope you can immortalize your father yet his music will do that better.
I can never forget FUJI GABBAGE.
Even it's been ages I last heard the song, the lyrics are still ringing within.

FUJI GABBAGE
Ijo kan ti mo tun gbe gode
Odun O rorun lati jo [3x] *.**.**.**

And his attempt @ rap in the same song when many of today's hip hip artists were stilling wearing pampers and clutching their mama's bobi[s]. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.

Men, like PAC said, Life goes on.
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Pukkah: 1:52pm On Dec 17, 2010
Amalaaba:

I'll like to make some definite deductions from all of these in addition to other available stories.

It is a fact that 'Fuji' had been existing as a word before Barrister modified 'were' and dubbed it Fuji.  In fact, one particular 'were' musician in Lagos was referred to as 'fuji l'awa'. Another 'were' musician was even called Jibowu Barrister. All of these people sang 'were', they DID NOT say they sang fuji and what they sang then would not today qualify as fuji.  

It was Ayinde Barrister that stepped forward, moved out of the pack of already established and even older 'were' singers, sang a different (albeit slightly) form of were and boldly christened it Fuji. He would later go on, in his later releases, to give a definition of Fuji (in his 'who can tell me the meaning of fuji sound' of late 70s).  Ayinde Barrister never claimed that he created the word fuji or 'were' music but, indeed, he deserves the credit for the aforementioned explanation.  

He later invited his friend, Ayinla Kollington, to join the fray and in later years nurtured Ayinde Wasiu (later known as Marshal or K1) to become established.  Do all these not even entitled him to be the creator of 'fuji' music? Is there any wonder that ALL modern fuji musicians, from K1 to this day, unanimously take him as the father of fuji?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Olalimits(m): 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2010
Its so sad to hear but we all gonna die someday!!!
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by dayokanu(m): 2:19pm On Dec 17, 2010
Fuji music as we know today came from Were sang by Moslem youths to wake people up for early morning prayers and fasting.

It was mainly on Lagos Island and Ibadan the Ibadan guys were Iyanda Sawaba and Dauda Epo-Akara, we also had some Ijebu guys .

DIMENSION

[flash=500,400]http://www.youtube.com/watch=/v/KLrWwd0eqlc[/flash]

Bi isu ba parada a di iyan, Bi agbado ba parada a di eko, Bi ere ba parada a di akara bibo parada o di ekuru

Bi Gaari ba parada a di eba
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by bolafex(f): 2:28pm On Dec 17, 2010
Its so sad but death will come when it will come;He was indeed the fuji master!We shall no doubt miss his philosophical and spiritually laced kind of fuji music.Oh yeah,we shall sure miss the dance steps Alhaji AgbaAdieu!
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by olasfun(m): 2:31pm On Dec 17, 2010
Its really a big loss.In fact,i wept for him.I loved him! He has passed a great message to every Nigerian.To every individual,It is the meaning we derived from it that matters,as far as our relationship with GOD is important. We love u & we are going to miss you, but God Almighty loves you more. Dr. Sikiru Ayinde Barister (M.F.R.) (MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE!!! olasFUN Limited
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by Kilode1: 5:20pm On Dec 17, 2010
dayokanu:

Bi isu ba parada a di iyan, Bi agbado ba parada a di eko, Bi ere ba parada a di akara bibo parada o di ekuru

Bi Gaari ba parada a di eba

DK e ku ai gbagbe ojo, o ku laakaye!
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by dayokanu(m): 5:25pm On Dec 17, 2010
Kilode?!:

DK e ku ai gbagbe ojo, o ku laakaye!

Iwaju ni pepeye ma n ko omo si, Gbogbo igba ti awa o ba ti se ibaje araiye, Iwaju la o ma wa lojokojo, Ehin ehin l'omo edire nto iya re.

Won o ma bo leyin wa
Re: Sikiru Ayinde Barister Is Dead! by denzel2009: 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2010
. . . O fun mi ni'warele pelu iteriba temitope ose Olorun

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Five Artists That Should Give Up Singing / Bobrisky Gushes Over Tobi Bakre: "This Dude Is Cute" / Timaya's Daughter, Grace's 3rd Birthday Party (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.