Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies (6118 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Hated By Others? / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by vadewoyin(f): 11:05pm On Dec 16, 2010
Hello Nairalanders,

I don't mean to be controversial but this issue has been on my mind for so long
Why are Nigerians so crazy about enemies. Most Nigerian songs, movies and prayer ( over 70%) have one thing or the other to do with enemies

Why do we give enemies so many recognition and awards because to me it's like we are empowering them when we talk so much about them

Please let me have your input.

Thank you
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by Emmyk(m): 1:33am On Dec 17, 2010
Like, which song? Havent noticed that.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by InkedNerd(f): 1:39am On Dec 17, 2010
@OP: Lmaaaaaaaaoooooooo, its funny that you mentioned that because my sister was just talkie about the same things a few months ago [not in the musical sense though].
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by hugooh42(m): 3:24am On Dec 17, 2010
Especially in gospel songs.99

Especially in Nigeria gospel songs.99% of them are about God fighting their enemies for them.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by Emmyk(m): 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2010
Oh Shey that? GET USE TO IT cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by tpia1: 4:18pm On Dec 17, 2010
comes with the territory.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by kokoye(m): 5:06pm On Dec 17, 2010
because a lot of us like to blame something other than ourselves for our shortcomings.

God must indeed be laughing at us.

They blame enemies for their broke asses while they live in church but do not try to get a damn job!!

Some are even whitewashed by their preachers into believing their kids are responsible for the situation

imagine driving a nail into your own childs head angry

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by InkedNerd(f): 6:05pm On Dec 17, 2010
kokoye:

because a lot of us like to blame something other than ourselves for our shortcomings.

God must indeed be laughing at us.

They blame enemies for their broke asses while they live in church but do not try to get a damn job!!

Some are even whitewashed by their preachers into believing their kids are responsible for the situation

Yes yes yes kokoye, you hit the nail right on the head kiss kiss kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by oyinda3(f): 9:03am On Dec 18, 2010
I think it has to do with our very spiritual religious beliefs. But then I also notice that even in the US, blacks speak/sing about "haters" in almost the same breadth as we Nigerians talk about "enemies"

Why do we give enemies so many recognition and awards because to me it's like we are empowering them when we talk so much about them

@OP,
what do you mean by "we are empowering them"? who are they?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by InkedNerd(f): 10:10am On Dec 18, 2010
oyinda.:

I think it has to do with our very spiritual religious beliefs. But then I also notice that even in the US, blacks speak/sing about "haters" in almost the same breadth as we Nigerians talk about "enemies"

@OP,
what do you mean by "we are empowering them"? who are they?

She meant that instead of brushin' 'em off and disregarding then, you're only feeding into their nonsense by even acknowledging their existence. For example, its like if you're arguing with someone and they say something to you and you reply to them "I don't care about". . . Obviously you do care because, a person who doesn't care doesn't acknowledge the situation or the individual.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by invisible2(m): 12:51pm On Dec 18, 2010
Most Nigerians are lazy to their bone marrows so they look at anyone around to blame. There are so few hungry, illiterate and disorganized enemies that they dont constitute any threats. Another problem here is illiteracy, university graduates are still so illiterate that you wonder why they made the efforts in the first place. Someone comes home from NYSC, sleeps till noon before eating free food, living with their parents and waiting for jobs to drop from treetops! When it fails to happen they blame imaginary enemies as they were told in church by one lazy pastor who was fortunate/unfortunate enough to grab a mike and quote our dear bible out of context for their selfish benefits.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 18, 2010
I think it is due to poverty, illiteracy coupled with the religious tendency of the average Nigerian. A poor religious man will always have the notion that "enemies" are after his progress. As for somebody saying that black americans talk about "haters" , they have that feeling of being hated because of the racial discrimition they faced.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by oweniwe(m): 12:59pm On Dec 18, 2010
** sings **
Enemy in your battle for my life o
You go tire enemy go taya
You go fail enemy go fail
You go fail, woefully
You go fail, patapata cheesy

Who my enemies are or what they're planning against my life, i don't even know angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 18, 2010
kokoye:

GOD MUST INDEED BE LAUGHING AT US.

heavenly laugh indeed.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by treylaw: 1:12pm On Dec 18, 2010
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by turboman(m): 1:18pm On Dec 18, 2010
Its not peculiar to Naija. Americans Sing about [size=16pt]HATERS[/size], Naija sings about [size=16pt]ENEMIES[/size]. whats the difference. Google the word "haters" and you go know say naija neva start. Every region have a word for it. Stop picking on naija
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by wizzymate(m): 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2010
Some of us have imaginary enemies. We just like to blame others for our failures.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by sirp2007: 1:58pm On Dec 18, 2010
l think its all boil down to lack of understanding.most people feel their misfortune is caused by somebody somewhere
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by slap1(m): 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2010
It's not an isolated case, abeg. Eminem, 50 cent, Ja Rule, etc, all sing about "haters" , but they're mostly on point. Unlike the crazie Timaya, Durella, Terry G, etc.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by davedozz(m): 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2010
vadewoyin:

Hello Nairalanders,

I don't mean to be controversial but this issue has been on my mind for so long
Why are Nigerians so crazy about enemies. Most Nigerian songs, movies and prayer ( over 70%) have one thing or the other to do with enemies

Thank you

It is Simple. They were told that they have ENEMIES, and this Enemies won't rest until they(enemies) bring them(people scared of enemies) DOWN.
That should make an average Man blame his "ENEMIES" 4 any misfortune at all even sneezing in the Church, Office, School etc. that should explain it grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by edicolove: 5:23pm On Dec 18, 2010
Its not peculiar to Naija. Americans Sing about HATERS, Naija sings about ENEMIES. whats the difference. Google the word "haters" and you go know say naija neva start. Every region have a word for it. Stop picking on naija

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Point of correction please. Americans dont sing about haters. African Americans sing about haters. I guess charity begins at home. You dont find country, pop or rock musicians singing about haters.

On a serious note, it is the result of many years (even centuries) of witchcraft in Africa. We need go come out of it. I hope we do soon because the mentality is really holding Naija back.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by otokx(m): 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2010
poor mentality
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by DisGuy: 6:53pm On Dec 18, 2010
and most of the prayers are not really prayers they are mighty curses- imagine cursing in church all in teh name of fighting some invincible cabals enemies
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by DoubleN(m): 6:55pm On Dec 18, 2010
slap1:

It's not an isolated case, abeg. Eminem, 50 cent, Ja Rule, etc, all sing about "haters" , but they're mostly on point. Unlike the crazie Timaya, Durella, Terry G, etc.
What makes dem on point? You no the kind Jazz wey dey Timaya village?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by justwonder: 6:58pm On Dec 18, 2010
let me take the bait:
I've heard of women who confess to being witches in my village,and admitting to terrible attrocities.If someone says she is a witch who i'm i to say she is not.!!! cheesy

Moving Along Now,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by honsule(m): 7:00pm On Dec 18, 2010
Your Location and happenings around you  goes a long way in affecting your mentality.
Naija is unique and the issue of enemies is res judicata.Even our Laws(Penal Code Act) recognized JUJU/Witchcraft
U don't take them for granted or u will be grounded.Nevertheless,as a Born Again Christian we should place more emphasis on what GOD Can do than the Devil(Using humans as his instruments).Hence,the works of our enemies should be de-emphasized.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by honsule(m): 7:05pm On Dec 18, 2010
justwonder:

let me take the bait:
I've heard of women who confess to being witches in my village,and admitting to terrible attrocities.If someone says she is a witch who i'm i to say she is not.!!! cheesy

Moving Along Now,

The hearsay rule applies here.Your evidence is not admissible in Court.
We need Primary Evidence. grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by DisGuy: 7:28pm On Dec 18, 2010
honsule:

Your Location and happenings around you  goes a long way in affecting your mentality.
Naija is unique and the issue of enemies is res judicata.Even our Laws(Penal Code Act) recognized JUJU/Witchcraft
U don't take them for granted or u will be grounded.Nevertheless,as a Born Again Christian we should place more emphasis on what GOD Can do than the Devil(Using humans as his instruments).Hence,the works of our enemies should be de-emphasized.

Are you serious? So i can sue someone for using juju to steal my wife for example?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by DamiKhojie(m): 7:51pm On Dec 18, 2010
Many of us like conflict.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by cheikh: 8:08pm On Dec 18, 2010
Most Nigerians are intellectually lazy and irresponsible hence imaginary(other) enemies must be blamed for every misfortune including reckless driving. Nigerians never take responsibility for their own action/inaction. Most Nigerian communities rarely acknowledge death naturally without ascribing the cause of death to some imaginary 'enemies' etc. Nigerians want immediate gratification preferably wealth, hence the rapid exponential growth in all manner of places of religious worship everywhere(christian or Islam). Nigeria is fertile ground for any imaginative religious zealot/demagogue, for Nigerians are very gullible. It's inherent and an extension of their so called African tradition/ culture which naturally predates the two major conquest religions(Christianity and Islam) pervasive in Nigeria. Christianity and in traditional African belief, 'enemies' are acknowledged to be everywhere or blamed whereas in Islam it's usually 'Allah's will' so the Nigerian have ready made excuse to be fatalistic. Did Mantu not ascribe his failure of the Hajj organisation during OBJ presidency, that it's 'Allah's Will'? Nigerians will always have real or imaginary 'enemies' because it absolves them from taking 'Responsibility' cool cheesy grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by Kreamie(m): 8:45pm On Dec 18, 2010
The Thing Don Tire Me Sef, Especially That Durella Guy, He Go Dey Shout Enemies Like Say Him Life Depends On It!!Mtsheeeeeeeeeeeeeew! angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies by honsule(m): 8:46pm On Dec 18, 2010
Dis Guy:

Are you serious? So i can sue someone for using juju to steal my wife for example?

Depends on which part of the Country u are.But if u are in the NORTH or FCT,Abuja then SECTION 217 OF the PENAL CODE ACT is pertinent

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State / Who Is More Business Minded, Yoruba, Igbo Or Hausa / Which International Star Have You Met In Person?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.