Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,891 members, 7,828,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? (1750 Views)

What Are The Key Factors To Build An Excellent Business Mobile App? / You Are Paying A Software Developer That!!!!!! / How Can I Build An Android App Without Being A Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by CYBERWEAVER(m): 8:09pm On Feb 22, 2020
To cut the story short, what factors should someone consider when hiring a software developer or a software dev company as I already booked an appointment with some companies in Abuja for negotiations and some others..
I budgeted about 900k for this project and what are things I personally need to do before hiring one?
Please share knowledges.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 1:16am On Feb 24, 2020
Best advice will be to get the developer to deliver each functionality in stages by so doing you can test each funtionality to know if it is what you expect as they progress with the development.

Goodluck with your project.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 6:50pm On Feb 24, 2020
CYBERWEAVER:
To cut the story short, what factors should someone consider when hiring a software developer or a software dev company as I already booked an appointment with some companies in Abuja for negotiations and some others..
I budgeted about 900k for this project and what are things I personally need to do before hiring one?
Please share knowledges.
First Portfolio, Secondly their year of Experience, Price Quote and Finally their Technology Stack.

MrBible:
Best advice will be to get the developer to deliver each functionality in stages by so doing you can test each funtionality to know if it is what you expect as they progress with the development.

I guess he just want to outsource and get a product, he doesn't want to babysit any project.
@Cyberweaver if eventually you outsource your project, you need to follow what @MrBilble said strictly. Its part of AGILE Methodology of project project management.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Feb 25, 2020
talk2hb1:

I guess he just want to outsource and get a product, he doesn't want to babysit any project.
@Cyberweaver if eventually you outsource your project, you need to follow what @MrBilble said strictly. Its part of AGILE Methodology of project project management.

OP said he has "already booked an appointment with some companies in Abuja for negotiations and some others."

Part of the negotiations I would suggest should be to get the developer to deliver each functionality in stages by so doing you can test each functionality to know if it is what you expect as they progress with the development.

I would also suggest that OP should pay a deposit per functionality and when that functionality is complete the OP pays the balance for that funtionality and the same for all the other functionalities.

Portfolio and years of experience are not enough when it comes to software development as every new project has new challenges to overcome.

Lessons to learn from and these are very common: Accenture sued for $32 million over Hertz website redesign
Lawsuit filed by car rental agency Hertz claims leading management and IT consultancy Accenture “failed to deliver the website and apps for which it was so generously paid.”
https://www.consulting.us/news/2197/accenture-sued-for-32-million-over-hertz-website-redesign
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 5:21pm On Feb 25, 2020
MrBible:

OP said he has "already booked an appointment with some companies in Abuja for negotiations and some others."

Part of the negotiations I would suggest should be to get the developer to deliver each functionality in stages by so doing you can test each funtionality to know if it is what you expect as they progress with the development.

I would also suggest that OP should pay a deposit per funtionality and when that functionality is complete the OP pays the balance for that funtionality and the same for all the other functionalities.

Portfolio and years of experience are not enough when it comes to software development as every new project has new challenges to overcome.

Lessons to learn from and these are very common: Accenture sued for $32 million over Hertz website redesign
Lawsuit filed by car rental agency Hertz claims leading management and IT consultancy Accenture “failed to deliver the website and apps for which it was so generously paid.”
https://www.consulting.us/news/2197/accenture-sued-for-32-million-over-hertz-website-redesign
So we are here to learn, what should he look out for?
or what would you look out for?
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by rhinecharles1(m): 9:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
There are several factors you should consider before hiring a software developer. Some of them are below:
1. Location: Are you going to hire an onshore or offshore developer? If you want to remotely work with the developer than location does not matter. Offshoring project may save the overall cost of the project. If you want to meet in person to the developer, you should hire a software developer in your nearby location.

2. Development Charges: What are the rates of a software developer? If you are working on an hourly basis, you should check what hourly rates are applied by the software developer.

3. Relevant Experience: Check if developer has worked on similar project that you have? Also, how many years of experience they have?

4. Ask them to provide you sample work: Many times, you want to check the code writing skills of a developer? You can ask them to provide you sample code before starting the project.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Feb 25, 2020
talk2hb1:

So we are here to learn, what should he look out for?
or what would you look out for?

Software development industry is one of the worst industries where someone who is not a very good programmer will only be taking a chance with their money when they hire a company or programmer.

My advice is that:
1. OP should ask to see some projects they have done before.
If OP is happy and wants to hire the company or developer then

2. I would also suggest that OP should pay a deposit per functionality and when that functionality is complete the OP tries it and if his is happy with it then the balance is paid for that functionality and the same for all the other functionalities.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 10:05pm On Feb 26, 2020
MrBible:

Software development industry is one of the worst industries where someone who is not a very good programmer will only be taking a chance with their money when they hire a company or programmer.

My advice is that:

2. I would also suggest that OP should pay a deposit per functionality and when that functionality is complete the OP tries it and if his is happy with it then the balance is paid for that functionality and the same for all the other functionalities.
I still don't get how this will help the OP with hiring a developer. undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 26, 2020
talk2hb1:

I still don't get how this will help the OP with hiring a developer. undecided undecided undecided

I don't see why any company or developer should be afriad of my suggessions below unless they just want to collect a hugh payment inadvance for work they cannot do.

My advice is that:

Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 10:32pm On Feb 26, 2020
MrBible:

I don't see why any company or developer should be afriad of my suggessions below unless they just want to collect a hugh payment inadvance for work they cannot do.

My advice is that:

Your suggestion only cater for after selection, meanwhile the OP want to know what look out for when recruiting individual or agency for his project.
Although he might consider your proposed method when negotiating terms and condition of contract. grin grin grin
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 6:00am On Feb 27, 2020
talk2hb1:

Your suggestion only cater for after selection, meanwhile the OP want to know what look out for when recruiting individual or agency for his project.
Although he might consider your proposed method when negotiating terms and condition of contract. grin grin grin

Did you read the OP"s post. OP said he "already booked an appointment with some companies in Abuja for negotiations and some others.. "

For your information you need to negotiate before you hire someone, so my suggestions a useful for the OP

CYBERWEAVER:
Please share knowledges.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 10:06am On Feb 27, 2020
MrBible:

"already booked an appointment with some companies in Abuja for negotiations and some others.. "
Hope You Get The Keyword (Still Exploring my options, and I want to make the right the decision), he wants to know how to dig into them when he eventually meet with them undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 27, 2020
talk2hb1:

Hope You Get The Keyword (Still Exploring my options, and I want to make the right the decision), he wants to know how to dig into them when he eventually meet with them undecided undecided undecided undecided

OP does'nt just need a product like you suggested before but OP also needs a product that does what he wants well.

So I still don't see why any company or developer should be afriad of my suggessions below unless they just want to collect a hugh payment inadvance for work they cannot do.

My advice is that:

2. I would also suggest that OP should only agree to pay a deposit per functionality and when that functionality is complete the OP tries it and if his is happy with it then the balance is paid for that functionality and the same for all the other functionalities.

OP already has budget so l'm sure he would want the company or developer to keep within his budget.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 12:57pm On Feb 27, 2020
MrBible:

OP does'nt just need a product like you suggested before but OP also needs a product that does what he wants well.

So I still don't see why any company or developer should be afriad of my suggessions below unless they just want to collect a hugh payment inadvance for work they cannot do.

My advice is that:

2. I would also suggest that OP should only agree to pay a deposit per functionality and when that functionality is complete the OP tries it and if his is happy with it then the balance is paid for that functionality and the same for all the other functionalities.

OP already has budget so l'm sure he would want the company or developer to keep within his budget.
I am not disputing your point, maybe you don't get what he wants.

CYBERWEAVER:

what factors should someone consider when hiring a software developer or a software dev company
as I already booked an appointment with some companies in Abuja for negotiations and some others..
Please share knowledges.
Hope You understand his requirement?
And Here are your suggestions
MrBible:

Putting the Cart Before the Horse wink
Here is what I suggested
talk2hb1:

First Portfolio, Secondly their year of Experience, Price Quote and Finally their Technology Stack.

Of which some good individual supported with details:
rhinecharles1:
There are several factors you should consider before hiring a software developer. Some of them are below:
1. Location: Are you going to hire an onshore or offshore developer? If you want to remotely work with the developer than location does not matter. Offshoring project may save the overall cost of the project. If you want to meet in person to the developer, you should hire a software developer in your nearby location.

2. Development Charges: What are the rates of a software developer? If you are working on an hourly basis, you should check what hourly rates are applied by the software developer.

3. Relevant Experience: Check if developer has worked on similar project that you have? Also, how many years of experience they have?

4. Ask them to provide you sample work: Many times, you want to check the code writing skills of a developer? You can ask them to provide you sample code before starting the project.
grin grin grin grin
I guess we should follow Logic here.............
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
talk2hb1:

I am not disputing your point, maybe you don't get what he wants.

Hope You understand his requirement?
And Here are your suggestions

Putting the Cart Before the Horse wink
Here is what I suggested

Of which some good individual supported with details:

grin grin grin grin
I guess we should follow Logic here.............

The OP have said he "budgeted about 900k for this project and what are things I personally need to do before hiring one?
Please share knowledges."

You need to understand that you do not negotiate after you hire someone. You need to negotiate before you hire someone. So you are the one putting the Cart before the Horse.

Lots of developers will be scared of my advice below, but it is the most important bit to add in the negotiation before hiring a developer if OP does not want to hire a developer that cannot deliver his project.

Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 3:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
MrBible:

The OP have said he "budgeted about 900k for this project and what are things I personally need to do before hiring one?
Please share knowledges."

You need to understand that you do not negotiate after you hire someone. You need to negotiate before you hire someone. So you are the one putting the Cart before the Horse.

Lots of developers will be scared of my advice below, but it is the most important bit to add in the negotiation before hiring a developer if OP does not want to hire a developer that cannot deliver his project.

So how does your point ensure the OP recruit a competent developer? ? ?
tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 27, 2020
talk2hb1:

So how does your point ensure the OP recruit a competent developer? ? ?
tongue tongue tongue tongue

You are just going round in circles.

You are not the OP, it will be better for you to let the OP pick the suggestions here he feels are suitable for him to go by.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by bet9ja(m): 3:31pm On Feb 28, 2020
If you are afraid. I will advise you to pay for the prototype of your idea app.

Prototype - A replica of your idea app with no or little look and feel but perform all the required functinalities.

Disclaimer: I am a Software Developer. You can never go wrong with this logic.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by talk2hb1(m): 8:32pm On Feb 28, 2020
MrBible:

You are just going round in circles.
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by jamessmmith(m): 11:16am On Apr 23, 2020
CYBERWEAVER:
Please share knowledges.

Before going to hire a software development company you must do your homework like:

1. What questions should I ask a software development company?
2. How to find a Web Design and Development Company Near off You?

My, second point is similar to your question you can consider this point there is the same process. If you still confused then you ping me I definitely help you. If you want to go my other suggestion then Efrog is the best software development company in Melbourne Australia they are an award-winning company on Australia that aims to provide quality service in digital marketing, software development, custom software development, mobile app development, web design, and website development many more services. To know about this company visit here:
Re: What Are Factors To Consider When Hiring A Software Developer? by Torika33: 11:37am On Apr 23, 2020
Okay !

(1) (Reply)

Software Packaging / Please Help: Ms Sql Server / Your Help Is Needed In My Final Year Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.