Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Are You Expecting A Baby Here Are Good Igbo Names You Will Love - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are You Expecting A Baby Here Are Good Igbo Names You Will Love (386 Views)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You Expecting A Baby Here Are Good Igbo Names You Will Love by Built2last: 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2020
I am an advocate for cultural names. In all my travelled life and exposure, i have never seen a white man adopt the names of any other culture.
Igbo parents should learn to give Igbo names to their children and care less if people can't pronounce it. If you cant pronounce mine, i cant pronounce yours too.

Imagine if Chimamanda's parents gave her Rose Anderson or Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was named Yvonne cleopatra just to sound modern and please people. We must maintain our heritage.

Are you yet to marry or expecting babies here are unique names. feel free to add yours and join me in the campaign for Igbo names.

Name Gender Meaning

Yobachi Unisex Ask God
Yobachukwu Unisex Ask God
Yobanna Male Ask the Father
Yobaolisah Male Ask God
Tobenna OrTobeolisa Male Keep praising God
Sochima Unisex Only God knows
Solumtobechukwu Male Praise the Lord/God with me
Somadina Male May I not be alone.
Somayina Male May I not travel (or sojourn) alone.
Onaedo Female Gold or Priceless
Jamuike Male Motivate me OR INSPIRE me OR Encourage me.
Jideofor Male Stand with truth/evidence
Golibe Unique Rejoice
Ijeawele Female Safe journey.
Cheluchi Female Wait onto God
Chukwukadibia Female God is greater than magician
Daluchi Female Thank God.
Dilibe or Diribe Male May you be accessible/helpful to people, friends and families
Solumetolisa Male Join me in praising the Lord.
Fumnanya Female Love Me.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Expecting A Baby Here Are Good Igbo Names You Will Love by nakaman: 2:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
All native Igbo names are unisex, I know some men who bear ngozi ,chioma and ifunaya It was funny but it's true.

1 Like

Re: Are You Expecting A Baby Here Are Good Igbo Names You Will Love by CrudeSon: 3:42pm On Feb 25, 2020
Some igbo names are unisex,but it is common to accord name with 'chi' to females and 'chukwu to male
Uchechi(female) uchechukwu(male)though both can still bear all.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

V / Yoruba Community In Gambia Launches D25 Million Project / Is the Bini Culture, Art And Civilization The Greatest In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.