Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Please Stop Using Nigga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please Stop Using Nigga (1130 Views)

Supreme Court Warns Buhari: Stop! Using Public Funds To Defend Yourself In Court / Stop Using Security Agencies To Silence Nigerians - Soyinka Tells Buhari / Stop Using Me For Comedy, Buhari Warns Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Stop Using Nigga by googi: 2:31pm On Feb 25, 2020
African Americans are trying to discourage the use of nasty words used by their slave masters in the past but privately used today against them.

Street gangs and rappers have picked it up and start using the same word as street language.

Yes, African Americans use it against one another but not among the educated class as in Nigeria.

The nasty word does not make you hype or American. It makes you look like a fool trying to copy street slangs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by helinues: 2:33pm On Feb 25, 2020
Truth my nigga
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by cRobo: 2:35pm On Feb 25, 2020
Nigga what are you saying

I won't say a word
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by maynation(f): 2:40pm On Feb 25, 2020
Alright my nigga.
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by emeijeh(m): 2:44pm On Feb 25, 2020
Me waiting for the Dammnn Nigggggaaaar guy
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by Lewist(m): 3:09pm On Feb 25, 2020
Are you not a nigga are you still not a modern slave in your country? Abeg we no dey see am as issue over here ,either you like it or not we blacks are niggas for life

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by kestolove95(m): 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2020
Niggar u damn ryt
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by OruExpress: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2020
There's an irony with Nigerians.
Nigerians typically hate the poor (including poor Nigerians) and avoid being like them, but they don't know that the rappers they're seeing are 'the poor/razz' of America.

So when Rick Ross comes to Nigeria and wants to go to the slums, Nigerians who consume his music but aren't allowed to go outside during elections, get confused as to why a 'big boy' like Rick Ross wants to be around poor people.
Same with Cardi B and co. Every US rapper that comes to Nigeria confuses Nigerians by wanting to associate with slum dwellers. Nigerians that believe they're rich are actively engaged in US slum culture. At the same time, they also think they're an odd mix of genteel 1800th century effeminate british noble so while they go around saying 'nigga' and 'ya'll', they're will laugh at someone pronouncing paracetamol incorrectly.

I remember telling Nigerians, as an American, that the Nigerian artist they'll embrace the most in the US is Terry G. If he makes head way there. They couldn't comprehend. Forget this Burna Boy moment, it's a temporary mistake of people thinking his album was Kanye's and it's mainly (some) Nigerian Americans giving him a career here.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by googi: 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2020
Some of these fowl mouths have never been to United States and those who have usually live around college campuses. Tell them to explore the black neighborhoods, they look at you as if you want them dead.

Yet, they listen to the music of gang bangger, school dropouts and drug peddlers in that same neighborhoods they refused to go, lamenting about how they were marginalize in their Country, only to use criminal gangs as shelters.

These Nigerians echoing nigga do not understand the rap in the songs but certainly hear nigga and think it is cool to use.

Well, that is what they do, copy copy as long as it is foreign, it is cool like Ajebuta.

OruExpress:
There's an irony with Nigerians.
Nigerians typically hate the poor (including poor Nigerians) and avoid being like them, but they don't know that the rappers they're seeing are 'the poor/razz' of America.

So when Rick Ross comes to Nigeria and wants to go to the slums, Nigerians who consume his music but aren't allowed to go outside during elections, get confused as to why a 'big boy' like Rick Ross wants to be around poor people.
Same with Cardi B and co. Every US rapper that comes to Nigeria confuses Nigerians by wanting to associate with slum dwellers. Nigerians that believe they're rich are actively engaged in US slum culture. At the same time, they also think they're an odd mix of genteel 1800th century effeminate british noble so while they go around saying 'nigga' and 'ya'll', they're will laugh at someone pronouncing paracetamol incorrectly.

I remember telling Nigerians, as an American, that the Nigerian artist they'll embrace the most in the US is Terry G. If he makes head way there. They couldn't comprehend. Forget this Burna Boy moment, it's a temporary mistake of people thinking his album was Kanye's and it's mainly (some) Nigerian Americans giving him a career here.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by ednut1(m): 4:45pm On Feb 25, 2020
googi:
African Americans are trying to discourage the use of nasty words used by their slave masters in the past but privately used today against them.

Street gangs and rappers have picked it up and start using the same word as street language.

Yes, African Americans use it against one another but not among the educated class as in Nigeria.

The nasty word does not make you hype or American. It makes you look like a fool trying to copy street slangs.
you are the one looking like a fool here. the word is your number one problem in life ba.
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by conductor260: 4:49pm On Feb 25, 2020
But you people say you're Nigger.areans.

Fucking slaves. cheesy
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 25, 2020
Truth is, if you are Nigerian born and raised in Nigeria, you can't have the same sense of outrage or feeling of being insulted when someone calls you the N-word, at least not like the black American.

It's not part of our cultural and social experience.

It's not what we are used to. We don't see it as insult. We simply can't relate.

If a white calls you bigger out of spite or anger, you don't feel insulted because of that word, rather you react instinctively to the person's spite or anger. Just like if I cuss out a white fella in Yoruba language which he doesn't understand, he will react to the tone of my voice and the anger on my face.

Only the black American whose forefathers had to work in the plantations and endure that particular slur word can relate.
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by ChoCho54(f): 5:34pm On Feb 25, 2020
emeijeh:
Me waiting for the Dammnn Nigggggaaaar guy
I swear! Slawomir abi na Slovakia sef angry

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by scoundrel(f): 7:39pm On Feb 25, 2020
I hope they listen. The ignorant are always quick defend their ignorance.
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by OruExpress: 10:41pm On Feb 25, 2020
ednut1:
you are the one looking like a fool here. the word is your number one problem in life ba.

when did 'ba' start? It sounds unimaginably stupid. Maybe we should discuss ba instead of nigga lol. Someone will say something to you then go ba at the end. I know it's taking off in Nigeria but idk when it started and it's shitty. No disrespect

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by OruExpress: 10:44pm On Feb 25, 2020
FrLukas:
Truth is, if you are Nigerian born and raised in Nigeria, you can't have the same sense of outrage or feeling of being insulted when someone calls you the N-word, at least not like the black American.

It's not part of our cultural and social experience.

It's not what we are used to. We don't see it as insult. We simply can't relate.

If a white calls you bigger out of spite or anger, you don't feel insulted because of that word, rather you react instinctively to the person's spite or anger. Just like if I cuss out a white fella in Yoruba language which he doesn't understand, he will react to the tone of my voice and the anger on my face.

Only the black American whose forefathers had to work in the plantations and endure that particular slur word can relate.

Well, the truth is Nigerians are called Nigger too. We're called many insulting things but Af. Americans understand history and context better than us so they know when they're being insulted.

An Af. American will never let a white person call their child a pickannany because they know it's a 'slave boy'. But Nigerians call their kids Pikin, or pikini (same word). Even the Mammy in Wata Mami is racist, but we use it. Lastly, the Niger in Nigeria is 100% the same word as Nigger. The british that were hear were insulting us up and down but we didn't know what they were saying, and when the left those insults became a part of our vocabulary
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by Nobody: 1:38am On Feb 26, 2020
OruExpress:

Well, the truth is Nigerians are called Nigger too. We're called many insulting things but Af. Americans understand history and context better than us so they know when they're being insulted.

An Af. American will never let a white person call their child a pickannany because they know it's a 'slave boy'. But Nigerians call their kids Pikin, or pikini (same word). Even the Mammy in Wata Mami is racist, but we use it. Lastly, the Niger in Nigeria is 100% the same word as Nigger. The british that were hear were insulting us up and down but we didn't know what they were saying, and when the left those insults became a part of our vocabulary

You didn't get my point though.

We and the African Americans don't share the same history. Slur words like nigger or pickaninnies is lost on us.

We simply can't relate.

It is part of our history. Our ancestors were never slaves. They never worked in a cotton field, never picked cotton and never worked in a plantation other than their own.

So, we don't exactly have that sensitivity towards a white folk calling us nigger or coon.

Of course, we might find it offensive, but only because we have been told that they are racist insults for blacks and not because we can attach any historical meanings to them.
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by DMerciful(m): 3:07am On Feb 26, 2020
That's Nigerians for you! If you say you want to promote the word and that they should help you spread it, they will no longer use it. Have you wondered why solutions that work in other climes fail here? Na our way!

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by Itsme0I: 7:51am On Feb 26, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

We and the African Americans don't share the same history. Slur words like nigger or pickaninnies is lost on us.

We simply can't relate.

It is part of our history. Our ancestors were never slaves. They never worked in a cotton field, never picked cotton and never worked in a plantation other than their own.

So, we don't exactly have that sensitivity towards a white folk calling us nigger or coon.

Of course, we might find it offensive, but only because we have been told that they are racist insults for blacks and not because we can attach any historical meanings to them.
[/s]
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by Gerrard59(m): 10:04am On Feb 26, 2020
The last people I will ever want to associate with are folks (they call themselves "woke people" ) who look for trouble whenever there is none. Just look at the bile vomited because of "nigga", "ba", "pikin" and "mammy". Hypocritically, they consider themselves liberals yet don't understand that people are at liberty to use words they like and are comfortable with in their environment. But no! These woke people want to stifle free speech (they claim to espouse) and force people to do what they say. Disgusting people who misconstrue everything. Awon cultural appropriation ediots!

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by Ruggedniggaone: 11:46am On Feb 26, 2020
welldone ma nigga
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by OruExpress: 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
FrLukas:

We simply can't relate.

It doesn't matter if you can relate or not, but the fact is you don't know what you're being called or calling yourself and they do. You can't be from, NiggerArea (sorry, it's a historical fact) and say the you can't relate to someone dealing with racism. Especially if NiggerArea was the #1 source of slaves. You may not have the academic grasp or lived experience to know you're being insulted but if two people are called goats and one knows he's not a goat while the other accepts it, the difference isn't from a lack of shared history. At that point it doesn't matter, your unawareness of the meaning of the word is ignorance, not 'relation'.

You don't have to have 'sensitivity', because that doesn't matter. But I do know that general ignorance, as well as a life of being regularly disrespected, makes it a non-issue for Nigerians. Even if it was an issue, they likely wouldn't be able to fight it because they're culture encourages you to swallow disrespect. It's not the same with Af. Americans or Americans in general.
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by OruExpress: 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2020
Gerrard59:
The last people I will ever want to associate with are folks (they call themselves "woke people" ) who look for trouble whenever there is none. Just look at the bile vomited because of "nigga", "ba", "pikin" and "mammy". Hypocritically, they consider themselves liberals yet don't understand that people are at liberty to use words they like and are comfortable with in their environment. But no! These woke people want to stifle free speech (they claim to espouse) and force people to do what they say. Disgusting people who misconstrue everything. Awon cultural appropriation ediots!

I have not problem with anyone using any word they want to use. I usually stop them when they're accidentally being disrespectful or calling someone a slave out of ignorance, but it's up to them to heed the advice. Ba is not derogatory it just sounds grotesque and annoying.
Re: Please Stop Using Nigga by 0m0nnakoda: 3:29pm On Feb 26, 2020
I dislike it when people say

Sometimes ago

And

I am less busy

(1) (Reply)

The Press Release From APC National Working Committee / FG Bans Alcohol In Satchets, Polythene / Men Seen Trying To Fit A Full Grown Horse Into A Tricycle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.