Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

Computer & IT Professionals' Hub - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer & IT Professionals' Hub (8831 Views)

Experience Computer It,graphics Designer Wanted / IT Professionals' Salary In Nigeria? / Human Resource Professionals: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 10:27pm On Nov 17, 2011
RuuDie:

Still grappling to get MCDST. . . .so I marvel when I see peeps with CCNAs, Ps and IEs.
My job is mostly desktop support and a sprinkling of networking - but its alright for now.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 10:44pm On Nov 17, 2011
yea but experience matters a lot
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 10:56pm On Nov 17, 2011
Sky-walker:

Currently my company does not use Linux but i have basic knowledge of Linux. windows is quite easy to be honest,i chose to stick to windows cuz it makes life so easy. there are lot of programs out there that can help you in troubleshooting and that has helped me a lot. i can say i have no good knowledge in routers and switches which is a shame and i would love to learn it but the best place would be someone from Nigeria cuz uk is filled with microsoft products which to be far it is is. with Microsoft server which helps in dns dhcp deploying software e.tc. it make it easier to learn and understand although it got its downside also.

i mean if u can master Linux commands, you should be able to master router syntax too. All you need is lots of practice.

Do you think you'll ever have to work on Cisco routers, or you'll keep avoiding them?
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 11:12am On Nov 18, 2011
to be honest. I keep avoiding them. Reason being is that Microsoft server made it easy with graphical interface to do lot of things and with firewalls and spamguard devices. it makes routers work less. i would love to learn switches and router configuration again.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2011
Sky-walker:

to be honest. I keep avoiding them. Reason being is that Microsoft server made it easy with graphical interface to do lot of things and with firewalls and spamguard devices. it makes routers work less. i would love to learn switches and router configuration again.

then its best you start getting your hands dirty now that you dont critically need the skills, and the resources are at your fingertips!
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2011
yamakuza:

then its best you start getting your hands dirty now that you dont critically need the skills, and the resources are at your fingertips!

aaahhhh you mean messing with the company's router,lol. thats the brain of the network. i will have to buy some switches and routers and mayb run a test lab at home
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 12:31pm On Nov 18, 2011
^ u said u froze first time you entered your server room?

I mean spending more time there, watching the people that work on the routers, asking them questions, practicing on your simulators at home, and taking up more Routing and Switching responsibilities as they arise.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 12:53pm On Nov 18, 2011
yamakuza:

^ u said u froze first time you entered your server room?

I mean spending more time there, watching the people that work on the routers, asking them questions, practicing on your simulators at home, and taking up more Routing and Switching responsibilities as they arise.

Thats the problem. Nobody is meant to work in the server room except me.Thats what i said that using simulators is different from real life. things have change from using Ethernet cable to join switch cuz we use patch panel to join switches in different location. They expect me cuz i have ccna to know a lot more than them. i dont work in IT company. just an IT depart of 3
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 3:10pm On Nov 18, 2011
Sky-walker:

Thats the problem. Nobody is meant to work in the server room except me.Thats what i said that using simulators is different from real life. things have change from using Ethernet cable to join switch cuz we use patch panel to join switches in different location. They expect me cuz i have ccna to know a lot more than them. i dont work in IT company. just an IT depart of 3

patch panel is still ethernet cable na. Its just encased.

I see what you mean now, having no one to watch or learn from.

Truth is you need a production environment to learn some things.

Try simulating your office setup at home, using gns3 or Packet Tracer and practice all possible scenarios.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 3:41pm On Nov 18, 2011
yea i heard of gns 3 but i dont know how to run it. i have been used to cisco packet tracer
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 4:40pm On Nov 18, 2011
Sky-walker:

yea i heard of gns 3 but i dont know how to run it. i have been used to cisco packet tracer

eh yah. U have ur work cut out for you.

Dont u have friends in that line as well?

Time to attend a bootcamp.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 20, 2011
Hello, I need a job with an IT firm, basically as a system support or Linux/Unix admin,
I am trained Red hat certified Engineer(RHCE AND RHCSA, OCA), I also have good knowledge of Microsoft server 2008,
I have a degree in Electronic Engineering with a 2 1 and a diploma in Business computing from a research institute in India.
Looking out for a career in this line,
anyone who can help should kindly send me mail on
goodviktor@yahoo.com
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 10:36pm On Nov 20, 2011
yamakuza:

eh yah. U have your work cut out for you.

Dont u have friends in that line as well?

Time to attend a bootcamp.

Most of my mates work for security companies and thier job is to resolve technical issues on those products. They are more like Technical support.I am pretty much on my own at the moment on that
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 12:13am On Nov 21, 2011
^ keep practicing (on your simulator or rented pod).

Join a Networking Group at your local university.

Attend a bootcamp in India.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 10:20am On Nov 21, 2011
yamakuza:

^ keep practicing (on your simulator or rented pod).

Join a Networking Group at your local university.

Attend a bootcamp in India.

I've got cisco packet tracer but that is not really helping as i can do basic configs with them using ethernet cables but where i work,we dont use that cuz of the distance of switches between them.i am sure GNS3 can do something interesting but i dont know how to use it

attend bootcamp in india? Men, that is out of it at the moment.it would be nice if i can get video tutorial on bootcamp but going to india is not an option now.

i stay far away from where i graduated and i would not have time as i work 9-5 monday to friday
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by taharqa: 1:34pm On Nov 28, 2011
Where re the opportunities for(java) programmers in nigeria, plz i want info esp from programmers
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 2:03pm On Nov 28, 2011
taharqa:

Where re the opportunities for(java) programmers in nigeria, plz i want info esp from programmers

Ask in the Programming section, or look through the Jobs/Vacancies board.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by MUSTAPHAY: 7:16am On Dec 03, 2011
hi
start a career in website development and computer networking today indicate your interest by contacting me on this number 08165441938
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by valeraymartin: 11:54pm On Jan 23, 2012
IT stands for Information Technology. I mean spending more time there, watching the people that work on the routers, asking them questions, improvement to our own self, practicing on your simulators at home. IT professionals are expected to discuss how to improve the industry and create more jobs.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by dipo1: 2:11pm On Jan 24, 2012
I see that there are not a lot of IT professionals in this thread, or maybe the case is that anybody is yet to kick-off the thread with a question we can all deliberate on. So i'll give a try by asking:

WHO IS AN I.T PROFESSIONAL ?

For me, an I.T Professional is someone who has worked in a specific field of I.T (be it networking, programming, database or so) for at least 5 years. In other words, if one is a fresh graduate who does some certification just after graduation, he is not qualified to be a professional (but then do you need 5 years to be a professional Java developer having written several fine code) even if his certification read Microsoft Certified I.T Professional.

Lemme stop here to read views from other I.T savvy forum members
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 10:13am On Jan 28, 2012
dipo+:

I see that there are not a lot of IT professionals in this thread, or maybe the case is that anybody is yet to kick-off the thread with a question we can all deliberate on. So i'll give a try by asking:

WHO IS AN I.T PROFESSIONAL ?

For me, an I.T Professional is someone who has worked in a specific field of I.T (be it networking, programming, database or so) for at least 5 years. In other words, if one is a fresh graduate who does some certification just after graduation, he is not qualified to be a professional (but then do you need 5 years to be a professional Java developer having written several fine code) even if his certification read Microsoft Certified I.T Professional.

Lemme stop here to read views from other I.T savvy forum members

while i wont argue with your definition, i just want to ask which is preferable: "professional" or "guru"?

I've met 2 weeks gurus before.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by AjanleKoko: 10:50am On Jan 28, 2012
IT. In a previous life I worked as a programmer and business analyst . . . grin
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 11:12am On Jan 28, 2012
AjanleKoko:

IT. In a previous life I worked as a programmer and business analyst . . . grin

I'm sure its still in the blood.

You might just retire into lifelong programming.

Keeps the juices flowing.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by kbcc: 12:33am On Jan 29, 2012
Pls has anyone in the house applied for this opening. i got their sms and went to their portal to fill  the form before my credit timed out.
is it for real or what. pls who has information or applied for this programme organised by Nextzon.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 12:38am On Jan 29, 2012
kbcc:

Pls has anyone in the house applied for this opening. i got their sms and went to their portal to fill  the form before my credit timed out.
is it for real or what. pls who has information or applied for this programme organised by Nextzon.

were you not the one that advertised it on january 24?

What do you take us for?
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by enquirydon: 7:43am On Feb 06, 2012
wooo wonderful 2 be here

4 your

*Laptop
*Networking
*PC and laptop accessories
*IT TRAINING
*REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE
*WEB DESIGN/DOMAIN/HOSTING

Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by litusista(f): 10:26pm On Feb 06, 2012
so gud 2 find dis kind of thread on NL. I personally have a lot of questions i've bn willing 2 ask.
I got introduced 2 configuring servers during my part 4 i.t. I also had d opportunity of writing 1 of d MCSE exams. (70-640).
Wat bothers me is dat pple kip sayin Cisco platforms are better. I want 2 knw if continuing wit microsoft is ok
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by yamakuza: 10:36pm On Feb 06, 2012
litusista:

so gud 2 find dis kind of thread on NL. I personally have a lot of questions i've bn willing 2 ask.

Welcome. We'll be glad to answer them.

I got introduced 2 configuring servers during my part 4 i.t. I also had d opportunity of writing 1 of d MCSE exams. (70-640).
Wat bothers me is dat pple kip sayin Cisco platforms are better. I want 2 knw if continuing wit microsoft is ok

You need both, and more, if you can.

Ever since MCSE became pure water, people shifted attention away from MSFT Certs for a while.

That was about the time vsat and broadband became popular in 9ja, so CCNA was hot.

People preferred CCNA 35k to MCSE 80k because mcse was pure water then. They would rather spend dat 80k on CCNP.

It was also assumed that any certified person could learn MSFT tools on the job.

i.e. if u can pass CCNA or RHCT/E, configuring exchange should be easy to learn/do, without neccessarily acquiring the certs.
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by PasNet: 10:55am On Feb 07, 2012
Free Telecoms Training Scholarship seminar, @ Kings Crown Business School
Date15th-18th Feb. 2012 by 12 P.M daily, call 07043618474 for more info or visit
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by Skywalker5(m): 2:15pm On Feb 07, 2012
litusista:

It depends. Cisco platforms are better in security but they are expensive i just love Microsoft because it easier to use( click next, next). Also there are lots of manufacturers like netgear which are cheaper and easier to configure. All this depends on you and the environment you find yourself. i am in an environment where Microsoft is more common than Cisco and i feel Microsoft is definitely getting better. I would say continue with microsoft server, then go onto exchange and then blackberry. i feel you be a lot better and you already started with Microsoft.Dont stop. i am very confident with Microsoft and i am learning exchange and blackberry. i would say if you need to learn networking. do CCNA. Well i would advise you do CCNA also and see which is better. For me Microsoft rocks
Re: Computer & IT Professionals' Hub by ochukoccna: 2:27pm On Feb 07, 2012
litusista:

Cisco or/& Microsoft a matter of preference
It also depends on what kind of work you do
If you are more into technical support aiding desktop users& providing them services go for Microsoft& Cisco CCNA
If you are desire backbone network support& infrastructure, embrace Cisco especially CCNP, CCIE& UNIX as the Internet runs on UNIX

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Prepare For Ican Exams / How Can A Fresh Graduate With NEBOSH IGC Get A Job In Nigeria? / We Didn’t Sack 1,500 Workers - MTN Denies Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.