Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,382 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers (601 Views)

Breaking: NCDC Confirms New Coronavirus Case In Abuja / Third Coronavirus Case Confirmed In Lagos / Senegal Confirms First Coronavirus Case, Patient Is A French Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by akelicious(m): 6:01am On Feb 27, 2020
The Nigerian Red Cross Society, Lagos Branch, says it has mobilised over 80,000 volunteers in the state for social mobilisation against the spread of Lassa Fever and Covid-19.

The Branch Chairman, Mrs Adebola Kolawale, made the disclosure at a press briefing organised by the Society on Wednesday in Lagos.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, the event was supported by the Society’s National Headquarters, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC) and the Ministry of Health.

Kolawole said the spread of the latest outbreak of Lassa fever is quite alarming compared to previous years, adding that to help prevent the spread, the NRCS volunteers would visit schools, markets, and religious institutions to sensitise Lagos residents on precautionary measures to adopt.

“Social mobilisation will commence in earnest; our volunteers will even go from house to house to sensitise the citizens of Lagos.

“Our volunteers are all over the 20 local government areas (LGAs) and 37 local council development areas (LCDAs) within the state and will continue to hold sensitisation sessions,” she said.

The chairman further said that the strategies adopted included community clean-ups and vector control activities, door to door health education and epidemic control activities.

Speaking on the Covid-19 Virus, Kolawole said volunteers trained in epidemic control by the IFRC had already been placed on alert to help manage the situation should it spread to Nigeria.

She urged Nigerians to embrace the preventive measures recommended by the Federal Ministry of Health.

The recommendations according to Kolawole, include washing of hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, regular use of hand sanitizers, covering of nose and mouth while coughing and sneezing.

Others include avoiding close contact with sick people and not touching the eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

Full details at https://www.akelicious.net/coronavirus-case-in-lagos-red-cross-mobilises-80000-volunteers/

Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by tsephanyah(f): 6:11am On Feb 27, 2020
Covid19 cannot survive in very warm place and very bad air quality like Lagos. Unhealthy (Red): 151-200 AQI is considered deathly to the virus. negative effects from pollution in the air in Lagos is like vaccine against Covid19

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by GOFRONT(m): 6:13am On Feb 27, 2020
undecided
Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by olaboy33(m): 6:20am On Feb 27, 2020
This OP/blogger will not make heaven.
Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by OjoMadiba: 6:22am On Feb 27, 2020
tsephanyah:
Covid19 cannot survive in very warm place and very bad air quality like Lagos. Unhealthy (Red): 151-200 AQI is considered deathly to the virus. negative effects from pollution in the air in Lagos is like vaccine against Covid19
lol, our BAD air don help us ooo... sometimes not everything about us is completely BAD.
Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by Nobody: 6:22am On Feb 27, 2020
tsephanyah:

Ebola survived for some time, mind you Covid19 isn't just a normal virus.

Not a vaccine for it yet but depending on whatever illness the Covid19 patient develops, it can only be managed.

If you come up with a flu you'd be given drugs that can cure flu. In essence covid19 iis a deadly virus that can wipe the whole Lagos within a month (considering the fact that its airborne). Nigeria is not ready for this kind of pandemic now because

People will panic
Nigeria government is not ready for this.
Those 80,000 Agbero won't be able to stop the virus if we allow Chinese migrants to invade our various airspace as usual.

What if we the virus land in Benin republic, Togo or Cameroon, trust me Nigeria is finished. Our borders in the country are now business center for... They only check if you carry rice or your vehicle doesn't have papers. Those people by now should be testing every single person coming into the country.
Do we even have the necessary equipment to contain a virus China couldn't control well?

If that virus land here, my brothers and sisters WE ARE FINISHED!
Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by ZombieHUNT: 6:25am On Feb 27, 2020
tsephanyah:

Continue deceiving yourself...
False hope is worse than the dįsesase

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by Facidio: 6:26am On Feb 27, 2020
[quote author=tsephanyah post=86990208]Covid19 cannot survive in very warm place and very bad air quality like Lagos. Unhealthy (Red): 151-200 AQI is considered deathly to the virus. negative effects from pollution in the air in Lagos is like vaccine against Covid19 [/quot{e]
You don't know Wat u are saying.... The air quality in Lagos is better than that of China. Yet the virus is still ravaging them. Have u ever been to China or wonder why the chinese normally wear nose masks even before now.? It's because of the bad air quality due to too many industries releasing toxic waste into the air

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by GogetterMD(m): 6:56am On Feb 27, 2020
Drabeey:

Ebola survived for some time, mind you Covid19 isn't just a normal virus.

Not a vaccine for it yet but depending on whatever illness the Covid19 patient develops, it can only be managed.

If you come up with a flu you'd be given drugs that can cure flu. In essence covid19 iis a deadly virus that can wipe the whole Lagos within a month (considering the fact that its airborne). Nigeria is not ready for this kind of pandemic now because

People will panic
Nigeria government is not ready for this.
Those 80,000 Agbero won't be able to stop the virus if we allow Chinese migrants to invade our various airspace as usual.

What if we the virus land in Benin republic, Togo or Cameroon, trust me Nigeria is finished. Our borders in the country are now business center for... They only check if you carry rice or your vehicle doesn't have papers. Those people by now should be testing every single person coming into the country.
Do we even have the necessary equipment to contain a virus China couldn't control well?

If that virus land here, my brothers and sisters WE ARE FINISHED!

Calm down chief.
Infection doesn't mean disease
Disease spectrum varies from mild to moderate to severe.
The majority of those that suffer severe disease are the aged population, immunosuppressed people, or those with pre-existing respiratory disease. Case fatality rate is also still way below 20%.
Herd immunity conferred on survivors eventually prevents further spread of the disease and ensures that the outbreak dies a natural death. This might take several months to a few years though
Be rest assured that half of Lagos is not dying of it does touch down in Lagos like you fear
Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 27, 2020
GogetterMD:

Calm down chief.
Infection doesn't mean disease
Disease spectrum varies from mild to moderate to severe.
The majority of those that suffer severe disease are the aged population, immunosuppressed people, or those with pre-existing respiratory disease. Case fatality rate is also still way below 20%.
Herd immunity conferred on survivors eventually prevents further spread of the disease and ensures that the outbreak dies a natural death. This might take several months to a few years though
Be rest assured that half of Lagos is not dying of it does touch down in Lagos like you fear

Hold on too!

What would you do if someone close to you got infected?

My suggestion: you will panic, run away from such person, that same person wouldn't want to be quarantined, maybe would still go to Idumota to buy some... Thereby infecting more people ( i remember Patrick Sawyer).

I pray this novel virus doesn't make its way down here, i pray someone who is infected doesn't find miracle healing to any of our churches. Covid19 is a bad virus that's why i pray it doesn't land here by any means because if it does, my people would panic and that's not a vrry good thing.
Re: Coronavirus Case In Lagos: Red Cross Mobilises 80,000 Volunteers by GogetterMD(m): 7:18am On Feb 27, 2020
Drabeey:

Hold on too!

What would you do if someone close to you got infected?

My suggestion: you will panic, run away from such person, that same person wouldn't want to be quarantined, maybe would still go to Idumota to buy some... Thereby infecting more people ( i remember Patrick Sawyer).

I pray this novel virus doesn't make its way down here, i pray someone who is infected doesn't find miracle healing to any of our churches. Covid19 is a bad virus that's why i pray it doesn't land here by any means because if it does, my people would panic and that's not a vrry good thing.
I understand you, and your fears are justified. It would be bad if it does berth in Lagos. But all of these are projections. I was earlier just stating what is a known fact about the virus, the current outbreak and similar ones from the past

(1) (Reply)

High Blood Pressure / TELOS Blockchain Used By Genobank For Covid-19 Testing / Covid-19: Italy Discharge 925 In One Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.