Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:51 AM

English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? (321 Views)

Jambites See The 40 English Questions That Came Out For Today's UTME / Jamb 2019 Possible English Questions And Answers Ngtrend.com.ng / Jamb Result For Tuesday Candidates Ready. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? by davidinchrist(m): 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2020
Apparently, there are a couple of reasons why many people don't seem to see eye to eye with some certain English tests or professional exams which are sometimes inevitable. Hence, many resort to cheating and all kinds of things that are considered totally unacceptable to make up. Well, here is the catch: to plan and prepare well ahead; it's that simple.

Whether it is for WAEC/NECO/JAMB/IELTS/TOEFL, etc, one major thing is to get really familiar with the exam aspects or formats, which can be done in no time flat.

Here, really quickly, I shall be taking a look at the WAEC English Language Exam format. This exam has got three papers or parts to it, namely: paper 1, 2, and 3.

*Paper 1 is the test for Lexis and Structure (vocabulary or word power: to see how much you've got in your Word Bank...). Nonetheless, it contains 25% of the exam.

*Paper 2 is mainly Continuous Writing, Comprehension test and Summary. This takes a large chunk of 60%.

*Paper 3 is strictly Oral English (Phonetics), and it just 15%: NOT to be wasted, though.

Obviously, paper 2 takes the lion's share (highest percentage) of the entire exam; hence, it must not go wrong or joked with in any case. It's advisable for students/candidates to invest enough in good materials: books and online resources, in order to bring any of those exams (national or international) down to their knees!
Feel free to share this with others.
Peace be with you.

Akande Bamidele David is a follower of Jesus; an educationist with a certain zest.
Re: English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? by davidinchrist(m): 11:54am On Apr 29, 2020
BEING and BEEN

*Being* implies that the action is still on in the present (is being done); past (was being done).
Use is, was, are, were + Being

While *been* connotes already done/settled (past perfect).

Use has/have/had + Been
Has is singular; have is plural and had is the past tense of both has and have.

Example sentences:

*He has been taken back.
*They have been taken back.
*He had been taken back before you arrived.

Moreover, they're pronounced differently: *BEING---MI....; *BEEN---RE (Yoruba marks).

Peace with you.
Re: English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? by chimzy105(f): 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2020
I have a question. If has is singular and have is plural, is it right to say ; I has recieve your message?
Re: English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? by Emekuz(m): 2:57pm On Apr 29, 2020
chimzy105:
I have a question. If has is singular and have is plural, is it right to say ; I has recieve your message?
The pronoun I" can only go with both the plural and singular verb. For instance, the primary auxiliary verb as "am, was, were" and the plural verb such as have and had.
Re: English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? by davidinchrist(m): 12:16am On Apr 30, 2020
chimzy105:

Emekuz:
The pronoun I" can only go with both the plural and singular verb. For instance, the primary auxiliary verb as "am, was, were" and the plural verb such as have and had.

Sorry for running late; if you had quoted me, I would have seen your comment much earlier.

Thanks Emekuz, but I'm afraid, you were not quite right or clear, especially your first sentence.

Here:

The pronouns I and We are treated as plurals as a rule in English, except for 'am and was' as Emekuz said.

We and I + have or had only Not has.
I + am or was Not were. Except: "If I were you...
We + are or were

Also for main verbs: Same Rule
I write (plural) well.
We write (plural) well.

Hence: I have (plural) received your...

Feel free to throw in more questions, if need be.

Peace with you.
Re: English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? by davidinchrist(m): 12:17am On Apr 30, 2020
chimzy105:

Emekuz:

Sorry for running late; if you had quoted me, I would have seen your comment much earlier.

Thanks Emekuz, but I'm afraid, you were not quite right or clear, especially your first sentence and towards the last part.

Here:

The pronouns I and We are treated as plurals and must be followed by plural verbs as a rule in English, except for 'am and was' (singular auxiliary verbs) as Emekuz said.

We + are or were

I eat (plural) well.
We eat (plural) well.

Peace with you.
Re: English Exam Candidates: Ready To Knuckle Down Those Tough English Questions? by chimzy105(f): 1:14pm On Apr 30, 2020
[quote author=davidinchrist post=89008501]

Thanks Emekuz, but I'm afraid, you were not quite right or clear, especially your first sentence and towards the last part.

Here:

The pronouns I and We are treated as plurals and must be followed by plural verbs as a rule in English, except for 'am and was' (singular auxiliary verbs) as Emekuz said.

We + are or were

I eat (plural) well.
We eat (plural) well.

Peace with you.
Thank you

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Update On Jamb 2020 / Wer Can I Get Sword Bean In Nigeria? / Why Are People Happy That The Virus Has Gotten Nigerian Elites?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.