Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,925 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria (475 Views)

Coronavirus: Lagos Provides More Information About Nigeria's First Case / Coronavirus: Nigeria Confirms First Case / Nigerian Student Volunteers To Help Fight Coronavirus In Nanjing, China (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by ChelseaDr(m): 2:03am On Feb 28, 2020
BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria

Channels Television
Updated February 28, 2020

The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed the first case of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria.

The health minister, Dr Osagie Ehanire, confirmed the case in a statement issued in the early hours of Friday, February 28, 2020.

According to the statement, the case involves an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on the 25th of February 2020.

He was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

The ministry, however, noted that the patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.

Federal Ministry of Health, NIGERIA

@Fmohnigeria
The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus(Covid-19) case in Lagos State Nigeria. The case which was confirmed on 27/02/2020 is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020 @WHO @BBCWorld #CoronaVirusUpdates

Read the full statement below.

The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case in Lagos State, Nigeria. The case, which was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020.

The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on the 25th of February 2020. He was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.

The Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Health has been strengthening measures to ensure an outbreak in Nigeria is controlled and contained quickly. The multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has immediately activated its national Emergency Operations Centre and will work closely with Lagos State Health authorities to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.

I wish to assure all Nigerians that have we have been beefing up our preparedness capabilities since the first confirmation of cases in China, and we will use all the resources made available by the government to respond to this case.

We have already started working to identify all the contacts of the patient, since he entered Nigeria. Please be reminded that most people who become infected may experience only mild illness and recover easily, but it can be more severe in others, particularly the elderly and persons with other underlying chronic illnesses. All Nigerians should take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to protect themselves and others, including their own families, following the precautions below:

1. Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitiser.

2. Maintain at least 1 & half metres (5 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.

3. Persons with persistent cough or sneezing should stay home or keep a social distance, but not mix in-crowd.

4. Make sure you and people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene, meaning cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or into your sleeve at the bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.

5. Stay home if you feel unwell with symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. Please call NCDC toll free number which is available day and night, for guidance- 0800-970000-10. Do not engage in self-medication.

6. Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19 through official channels on TV and Radio, including the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health.

Citizens must not abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation that causes fear and panic. The Federal Ministry of Health, through Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, will continue to provide updates and will initiate all measures required to prevent the spread of any outbreak in Nigeria.

Dr Osagie Ehanire
Hon. Minister of Health

https://www.channelstv.com/2020/02/28/breaking-health-ministry-confirms-first-case-of-coronavirus-in-lagos/amp/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by budaatum: 2:09am On Feb 28, 2020
From Italy, with love.

Covid 19, welcome to Nigeria!
Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by Ishilove: 2:43am On Feb 28, 2020
Just woke up from a dream where I was marinating myself in Purell hand sanitzer after it entered Lagos, and now I click on Nairaland and I see this. I am so pissed.

These people travelling up and down and sharing this nonsense should be stripped and flogged. Ahn ahn!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by Ishilove: 2:46am On Feb 28, 2020
budaatum:
From Italy, with love.

Covid 19, welcome to Nigeria!

Buda, with the way my body is pinching me ehn, don't repeat this again.

Public transportation in Lagos is hazardous, with people jam-packed into vehicles like sardines especially now that there's no keke and bikes.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by Coolcalmcollect(m): 2:48am On Feb 28, 2020
awon Werey ti ko oshi wole ooo egba WA oooo italali Werey o ma sofo ni o
Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by Ishilove: 2:51am On Feb 28, 2020
Coolcalmcollect:
awon Werey ti ko oshi wole ooo egba WA oooo italali Werey o ma sofo ni o
O ma ya mi lenu ke. Sleep has fled from my eyes. The idiot human being entered a plane, passed through customs and immigration and was likely chauffered home or lodged in an hotel. All the people that he came in contact with nko? Which kind of rubbish is this nitori Olohun??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by trippleXXL(m): 2:54am On Feb 28, 2020
Nigerian government always reactive instead of being proactive. Why for Gods sake are foreign nationals from Coronavirus infected countries not quarantined for 14 days upon arrival in Nigeria but allowed to go home?
Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by Josydaky(f): 2:57am On Feb 28, 2020
Well, it is not raining season yet and I have been sneezing a lot and I have catarrh now so............
Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by mymadam(m): 3:37am On Feb 28, 2020
Josydaky:
Well, it is not raining season yet and I have been sneezing a lot and I have catarrh now so............

cry OMG !!!
Re: BREAKING: Health Ministry Confirms First Case Of Coronavirus In Nigeria by Ogbunigwe2018: 4:52am On Feb 28, 2020
Even if I walk through the valley of death. embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Ghana Records First Coronavirus Death, Shuts Borders / Vaccine For Treatment Of Coronavirus Ready Soon - Prof. Iwu / Covid-19: Toni Elumelu Foundation And The Uba Bank Paying 15,000 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.