Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja (846 Views)

Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Fresh Maize For Sale On 2 Hectare Of Land In Abeokuta / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by Phizzlephizz(m): 11:41pm On Feb 28, 2020
I’m starting up my 2 hectare farmland in Abuja for crop farming. I divided the land, so I’m using one hectare for yam and cassava farming, while I’m using the other hectare for short term crops and dry season farming.

I cleared the land late last year using manual labor, but upon return this year I realized it’s already bushy again, the trees on the land weren’t dug up from the root. I have now decided to use a tractor to dig up deep rooted trees from the farm land.

I’m hoping to prepare beds next for planting on the remaining one hectare by next week, hopefully clearing should be done by this weekend. I want to grow PEPPER and UGU on it, and yes I have a source of irrigation, which is a stream close to my farm, not very close 880ft away from my farm.

I’m tired pictures and expenses would be stated tomorrow.
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by wura2u: 5:00am On Feb 29, 2020
Where is the location of your farm? Can I get farm land there too?
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by Phizzlephizz(m): 7:58am On Feb 29, 2020
wura2u:
Where is the location of your farm? Can I get farm land there too?

GABA Bwari LGA, my farmland is about 10mins drive from Veritas University! And yes you can but you’ll probably be buying from a reseller as most of the lands are sold. But you could still try, I bought mine 2018.
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by wura2u: 1:42pm On Feb 29, 2020
Pls be on the lookout for me in case you hear of anyone who wants to sell, I will be interested.
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by Phizzlephizz(m): 10:11pm On Feb 29, 2020
I finished clearing today, the tractor did a good job and the land kinda seems bigger than I thought. Next week I’ll be buying sewer pipes 4inches to be buried in the ground from the edge of my farm to the river. The topography of the area has a slope towards the river, and since the distance from the river to my farm is about 880ft, I bought 2 Pumping machines, one pumps from the river into a drench yet to be dug inside my farm, while the other takes from the drench and supplies into the farm.

Making of beds for planting too will commence next week, still trying to find a good source for my pepper, my biggest problem right now is finding a Source for Hybrid Ugu seeds, I heard the local seeds don’t do well here in Abuja... if anyone has contacts for hybrid Ugu seeds please kindly indicate. Thanks
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by okoroemeka(m): 10:57pm On Feb 29, 2020
Phizzlephizz:
I finished clearing today, the tractor did a good job and the land kinda seems bigger than I thought. Next week I’ll be buying sewer pipes 4inches to be buried in the ground from the edge of my farm to the river. The topography of the area has a slope towards the river, and since the distance from the river to my farm is about 880ft, I bought 2 Pumping machines, one pumps from the river into a drench yet to be dug inside my farm, while the other takes from the drench and supplies into the farm.

Making of beds for planting too will commence next week, still trying to find a good source for my pepper, my biggest problem right now is finding a Source for Hybrid Ugu seeds, I heard the local seeds don’t do well here in Abuja... if anyone has contacts for hybrid Ugu seeds please kindly indicate. Thanks
I have consulted on a farm that has a far distance water source and we tried plan A,B,C, nothing was economically and physically viable until we tried plan D which was using a 2 hp submersible pump for borehole in the river and problem solved,these borehole pumps has high pumping heads that pumping on flat land is like eating pounded yam and vegetable soup to it,if you have electricity or generator to power a 2 hp pump it will eliminate the need for two mud pumps and stress,I know that was our plan C, imagine a pump that can throw water 300-500 feet vertical which high pressure, pumping 1000 feet on flat ground is a joke.
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by Phizzlephizz(m): 11:02pm On Feb 29, 2020
okoroemeka:
I have consulted on a farm that has a far distance water source and we tried plan A,B,C, nothing was economically and physically viable until we tried plan D which was using a 2 hp submersible pump for borehole in the river and problem solved,these borehole pumps has high pumping heads that pumping on flat land is like eating pounded yam and vegetable soup to it,if you have electricity or generator to power a 2 hp pump it will eliminate the need for two mud pumps and stress,I know that was our plan C, imagine a pump that can throw water 300-500 feet vertical which high pressure, pumping 1000 feet on flat ground is a joke.

Thanks for the advice, but I had already acquired the pumping machines, and gotten some pipes, plus I can’t leave my pumping machine at the river to avoid theft. I’m hoping the idea of using 2 pumping machine works, I’ll never know until I try it next week.
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by Skitekdigitalme: 10:47am On Apr 29, 2021
Wonderful trend, I have someone that wants to partner with me with his land in same bwari area, I've not Seen the land although but I've been thinking of which kind of crop to grow there!

Please help me suggest and I'm looking at cassava, yam or corn

What do you think?
Re: Starting My 2 Hectare Farm In Abuja by SonnyAkhere: 12:28am On Apr 30, 2021
Good day everyone, I created a survey for farmers on farmland security, kindly click the link below and fill the form if you come across it. Thank you

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfb_kxrpXthH1_qEJQR-ntcP797_O_Y-Z5hy7u4jP2EkZgCVg/viewform?usp=sf_link

(1) (Reply)

Which Pesticides Can I Use To Kill Pest Eating My Farm Produce? / Piggery, Poultry Or Fishery / Rice Farmer Is Needed In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.