Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,436 members, 7,823,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus (414 Views)

Coronavirus Quarantine: How People Stock Their Homes With Food, Groceries (Pics) / Coronavirus Patients On Life Support In Italian Quarantine Centre (Graphic Pix) / Coronavirus: How To Observe Unsupervised Self Quarantine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus by middlebelter(m): 11:16am On Mar 02, 2020
I watched the press conference grated by the Honourable Minister of Health in company of his Minister of State for Health and top Ministry officers on NTA a few minutes ago.

As a Nigerian ,I will like to appeal to every well meaning Nigerian to prevent the second level mistake by our leaders. The Minister said anybody coming into the country from any of the countries that has reported infection of Covid-19 should self- quarantine for about 14 days and be sure they are not sick before going out.

This is completely unacceptable and the people behind this weak policy should be scolded. Why are they gambling with a matter of serious public importance? Are they aware this same virus has killed noted public figures in Iran? Why should the government choose to trust the people coming into the country to self quarantine? Why put our collective safety in jeopardy? Can't they make a public policy and back it up with the necessary legislation to make it legitimate that; anyone coming into this country from any of the infected countries or travel history to infected country between December 2019 and todate will be automatically quarantined by Government of Nigeria. Therefore if you are not willing or ready to be quarantined, don't come to Nigeria for now. You can be sure Nigerian travelling out of this country will receive treatment of travellers fro Covid-19 infected countries anywhere they go.

The cost of prevention is much more cheaper than cost of treatment. We should not gamble with anything that has massive destructive capacity as Covid-19. Compel them to be quarantine. Some that are aware they have contacted the deadly virus may be so wicked that spreading the virus may be their priority. Indeed, it is not too much to ban direct flight from affected countries to Nigeria in the interim

1 Like

Re: Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus by middlebelter(m): 10:53am On Mar 09, 2020
Now that a second case of Covid-19has been confirmed by the Minister of Health, I hope Nigerian will see the wisdom in calling on FGN and her agencies responsible for screening of immigrants to be very stringent in the screening process by compelling quarantine instead of telling immigrants to observe it on their own. I repeat it is dangerous.Some May be so wicked and want to spread it while other may just be. Careless.
Re: Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus by middlebelter(m): 12:05pm On Mar 18, 2020
@SeunOsewa I can't understand why your Super Mods will see a topic that is as important as the above and ignore pushing it to a the point where it will garner more awareness. Although the FGN a few minutes ago has imposed travel ban from countries where the pandemic, Covid-19 is pronounced but I feel we should acted from the beginning of March. USA, UK etc would have given us more respect if we have acted by placing a ban on them before they start banning others.
In addition to the recent travel advice to Nigerians and banning of flight into Nigeria, the FGN should go ahead to stop public gathering in religious places if necessary or at best dictates minimum contact levels in such gatherings. Saudi Arabia I heard has stopped praying in Mosques, Church of England has stopped Public Worship etc. Must we wait to be under severe pressure before we act?

Hon Tajudeen Yusuf of Kabba/Bunu? Ijumu constituency in House of Representative, appeared on Seun Okinbaloye Channel TV Programme last night and he said that China has spent over $70B fighting the pandemic Covid-19. Now our entire external reserve in currently below $36b, our 2020 budget is around $25b, God forbid if Nigeria should be confronted with this monster, with the entire global community fighting their individual survival, where are we going to get the resources to fight the pandemic? @Seun Osewa, we need to use this platform to play your own part in galvanising this issue.

Does anyone wonder while Mr President will not go to UK for medical check up now? why are the politicians suddenly unwilling to travel? The instinct for survival is stronger than any other instinct. The crisis been inflicted on mankind by reason of this virus is much more serious than any war in recent time.Businesses are closing down, economies are shrinking and a global recession is imminent. Nairaland can help divert attentions to necessary safety precautions that can prevent the spread of the virus, how to stockpile food at home in the event of a need to be self quarantined, what the various levels of government should be doing, ( for instance it appears the LGA and State Governments are less concerned, with the exception of Lagos and Ogun State.),

We sincerely pray it will not get to the level of closing all public institutions like Schools, Churches and Mosques etc , but we are aware the current NYSC orientation has been closed, but they shouldn't have allowed them to proceed to camp in the first place. Is the government doing enough. My verdict is No! They are trying but we certainly have a golden opportunity now to prevent the spread by spending as much as we can, because we have no resources and capacity to manage its spread. Nairaland should stand up and be counted by helping to bring this issue to the burner.
Re: Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus by middlebelter(m): 10:35pm On Mar 23, 2020
I wonder why it took the FGN 22 solid days to see what I saw on March 2 that made me open this thread. A total luckdown of the social system with the exception of the essential services required to combat the pandemic is the sacrifice this Covi-19 is demanding.

I knew the likes of Atiku Abubakar's son are many in this country and will never faithfully self isolate. Now only God knows how far the wicked guy has spread the merciless virus.A governor is self quarantined because of his indiscretion. If I feel disappointed in Atiku's son what about the Nairaland Moderators that did not see the reason to hyelp us drum the need for total shutdown to prevent monumental loss? The fact is the FGN must also direct all the nonne essential private sector firms to shutdown. 14 days shutdown will not kill us. it will be cheaper than been confronted with full- blown Covid-19 outbreak that we are not in anyway prepared to fight. Yes, we are not prepared. We don't have the financial resources, we don't have adequate manpower, we don\'t have the tools to fight and do you know what? The Western countries have their own battle with Coronavirus and will not be available to offer any aid.

We you close schools and tell teachers to keep reporting for work, it doesn't work that way. The Nigerian Stock Exchange is still opearting the trading floor with more than 50 traders on daily bases and nobody id=s telling the DG to shutdown the floor and enforce strict remote trading. It looks as if we did not know the enormity of the issue we have in our hands.
Re: Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:16pm On Mar 23, 2020
middlebelter:

TheGoodJoe:
Which kind of madness is this? Self-quarantine?

We should have a Quarantine centre for all those coming in from China, and treat them as if they are infected through hydration until after 14days.

The ministry of health should not allow people take matters into their hands when it concerns this.

https://www.nairaland.com/5658831/coronavirus-travellers-china-lagos-quarantined/1#86224553

This was my comment January, 30, 2020.

You can see how much time we had to prepare and get things right but this incompetent government chose to play football with people's lives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Self Quarantine Is Wrong, Make It Mandatory And Enforce It- Coronavirus by middlebelter(m): 12:05am On Mar 25, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

https://www.nairaland.com/5658831/coronavirus-travellers-china-lagos-quarantined/1#86224553

This was my comment January, 30, 2020.

You can see how much time we had to prepare and get things right but this incompetent government chose to play football with people's lives.

We are reaping the consequences of our inactions , unfortunately, it has reached Aso Rock .

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See Where You Never Clean In Your House; Hotels Are Also Guilty / COVID -19 : Chevron Lockdown Escravos / Sapele Central Hospital's Preparation For Coronavirus - Video /photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.