Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,500 members, 7,954,914 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:26 PM

5 Steps To Gain Admission To Your Perfect Postgraduate Studies Or MBA Program - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Steps To Gain Admission To Your Perfect Postgraduate Studies Or MBA Program (331 Views)

Bingham University Announces Admission For 2024/2025 Postgraduate Studies / Scholarship For Online MBA Program At University Of Essex / Affordable 100% Online MINI MBA Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Steps To Gain Admission To Your Perfect Postgraduate Studies Or MBA Program by jukekeocha: 7:22pm On Mar 02, 2020
I have successfully applied for graduate studies + scholarships 3 times (MA, MBA, & PhD) and believe that the information shared below will help your application. It's focused on MBAs but is relevant for all degrees.

In 2009, I applied to Oxford and Cambridge MBA programs - got into both, chose Oxford, and graduated with an Oxford MBA a year later.

I will explicate the steps I took in hope that it would help the class of 2021 with their application packages.
Step 1. Evaluate your profile.
The key elements of your application profile are:

1. Quality of your undergrad degree (school and grade).
2. Your GMAT score.
3 Your essays.
4. Your age.
5. Your reference letters.
6. Your work experience.
7. Your extracurricular activities.

1. Quality of your undergrad degree (school and grade)
Your GPA and the quality of your school matters. The GPA is probably more important. "I finished in the top 5 percentile of my class with GPA 3.9/4.0" works magic even if you went to Mount Kenya University.

1a. My undergrad profile was not great. 2:2 (3.2/5.0 GPA) so I crafted a story around my 4.0/4.0 (all As) PhD GPA and used my lack of resources at the undergrad level to explain why I was not a stellar undergrad student.

I will share my essays later.

2. Your GMAT score.
For a top 20 school, you need a GMAT score around 90th percentile. Try to score as highly as possible. My GMAT score was 92 percentile. It meant that I scored higher than 92 of every 100 people who took the test across the world.

3. Your essays.
I'll provide more details about this later. But the key is to sell a future picture that the school would want to be a part of an essay touting a future providing solar electricity across Africa is more compelling than a future banker,, for instance.

4. Your age.
Most people don't know this. The very best schools hardly accept applicants older than 30. Other schools don't mind but you'll hardly see a 30+ student at the top 7 schools in the US. Older applicants should consider lower ranked US schools or Europe.

5. Your reference letter.

This is important! Don't trust anyone to write your reference letter. Create a draft or an outline highlighting your awesomeness and ask if the reference writer would consider following the outline for his/her letter.

6. Your work experience.

2 years at McKinsey is more valuable than 5 years at KPMG.Brand name matters. If you don't have a brand name experience. Tell a compelling story about the value of your work experience.

Stories matter.

7. Extracurricular activities.

Climbing Kilimanjaro is a winner. Volunteering at Clinton Foundation is magic. So is working on FGM and tutoring kids in poor neighborhoods. Any activity that shows that you're not just a money-chasing vampire is good.

Step 2 - Kill the GMAT/GRE
This is probably the most important element of your............................................................

Continue Reading 5 steps to gain admission to your perfect postgraduate studies or MBA program

You can Follow me on twitter for more updates

2 Likes

Re: 5 Steps To Gain Admission To Your Perfect Postgraduate Studies Or MBA Program by mbahouse: 5:04pm On Sep 14, 2020
These 05 steps are very important to join any degree program for business, especially abroad.

It is very important to increase your score and the percentiles in the GMAT, see more details in this link below:

[url] https://www.mbahouse.com/gmat-percentiles/ [/ url]

I hope I helped, good enjoy!

(1) (Reply)

Is Living With Newly Met Freshers Outside Campus Advisable? / School Fees Hike. / What You Need To Learn Before You Look For Jobs! Untold Reality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.