Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

The Priesthood Of Melchisedec - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Priesthood Of Melchisedec (851 Views)

Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood / Call To The Priesthood / Ezekiel 43-46 And The Prophetic Priesthood Of The Kingdom Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 4:57am On Dec 21, 2010
My position is that all who hope on the Lord Jesus Christ for their salvation are in fact priests of the order of Melchisedec, see http://psalm110-4.co.uk.

Furthermore, I would suggest that the Melchisedec priesthood is the only New Covenant (Christian) priesthood and the only priesthood of which, according to scripture, Christ is the head.

If I am correct then it follows that all other 'Christian priesthood's' are self proclaimed rather than proclaimed to be so by the word of God.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Joagbaje(m): 10:37am On Dec 21, 2010
mikeg:

If I am correct then it follows that all other 'Christian priesthood's' are self proclaimed rather than proclaimed to be so by the word of God.

I'm not aware yhere is any other Christian priesthood, or are you referring to the catholic priesthood. Every Christian priesthood is based on the priesthood of christ.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 11:14am On Dec 21, 2010
That is what I believe all priesthoods within the self proclaimed 'Christian church' would claim, be they any of the denominations, large or small, but I am saying that the scripture mentions none of them as being part of Gods church, the scripture says God established one church under the high priesthood of The Lord Jesus Christ and that God changed the name of the priesthood from Levitical to Melchisedec Hebrews 7:11. None of these other so called priesthoods are mentioned at all as being anything to do with God and his new creation.

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything it's just what is written in black and white and if they are unable to produce even one verse from the Bible they came to believe, that gives reason for the faith they proclaim then something is badly wrong, why would they want to proclam themselves as being part of anything that the Bible states is nothing to do with God? Why would they not wish to proclaim themselves as priests within the order that Christ is the eternal high priest of? It just doesn't add up.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 21, 2010
@poster

Could you please clarify because I don't get your point.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2010
Nice to hear from you.

Best to look at my first post because it gives access to lots of info, bible references and so on; but basically what I am saying is that there are loads of make believe churches around that are nothing to do with God and that teach nothing as it is written in the Bible only twisted versions of it.

What is actually in the Bible (all 66 books) is all good news and it's been twisted to make God out to be many things that he quite clearly is not. Because of this we get silly arguments raging such as should women be priests. Women can no more be priests than men can, a true priest would be spiritual and one spirit in Christ and in Christ there is no male or female, Greek or Jew, bond or free for all are one in Christ Galatians 3:28.

Mike
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 22, 2010
Best to look at my first post because it gives access to lots of info, bible references and so on; but basically what I am saying is that there are loads of make believe churches around that are nothing to do with God and that teach nothing as it is written in the Bible only twisted versions of it

Do you mind naming some of the these make beleive churches.

What is actually in the Bible (all 66 books) is all good news and

Where did you get the info that the bible has just 66 books
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Zikkyy(m): 8:58am On Dec 22, 2010
mikeg:

Furthermore, I would suggest that the Melchisedec priesthood is the only New Covenant (Christian) priesthood and the only priesthood of which, according to scripture, Christ is the head.

Oga mikeg, what has mechisedec priesthood got to do with the new covenant? Are you under mechisedec priesthood or under Christ’s priesthood? They are not the same.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Joagbaje(m): 9:36am On Dec 22, 2010
Zikkyy:

Oga mikeg, what has mechisedec priesthood got to do with the new covenant? Are you under mechisedec priesthood or under Christ’s priesthood? They are not the same.

Well they are one. Christ is a highpriest under the Order of mechizedek priesthood. As Aaron was a high priest under the Order of levitical priesthood.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Zikkyy(m): 10:45am On Dec 22, 2010
Joagbaje:

Well they are one. Christ is a highpriest under the Order of mechizedek priesthood. As Aaron was a high priest under the Order of levitical priesthood.

Christ priesthood is what it is, Christ priesthood. Same for Melchizedek priesthood. Agreed they are both priesthood but that is where the similarities end. Where you say ‘they are one’, are you saying Melchizedek is Christ? I guess what you should be doing is educating people on the ’order of Melchizedek priesthood’. What exactly are we saying when we say Christ priesthood is under or according to the order of Melchizedek priesthood? I would appreciate some clarifications sir.

The Jews made reference to Melchizedek priesthood when defining that of Christ, but is Melchizedek priesthood truly eternal or seen as a living priest (i.e. eternal) simply because there are no documentations regarding his birth and death? The way I see it, to claim that Melchizedek lives, is to subscribe to the existence of two living (and eternal) priesthood. I believe we can only have one. Unless you are telling me Melchizedek is Christ. Your clarifications will be valued sir.

I hope you will provide clarification on how both priesthood ends up as ‘one’. Thanks
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Joagbaje(m): 11:09am On Dec 22, 2010
^^^^Melchizedek was a man who has no record of birth or death. A king priest, a type of christ. The order of Melchizedek preceded levitical order. Several people were high priests under levitical order under the Jewish law. But the sacrifice of christ ended the levitical order which was for Jews only. We are back to Melchizedek order , and Jesus is the high priest .
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 11:13am On Dec 22, 2010
Joagbaje:

^^^^Melchizedek was a man who has no record of birth or death. A king priest, a type of christ. The order of Melchizedek preceded levitical order. Several people were high priests under levitical order under the Jewish law. But the sacrifice of christ ended the levitical order which was for Jews only. We are back to Melchizedek order , and Jesus is the high priest .

Amen
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Zikkyy(m): 11:31am On Dec 22, 2010
Joagbaje:

Sir, you are not helping me by avoiding my requests. My request again;
1. What is Melchizedek order?
2. Can we make that distinction between the ‘order of Melchizedek’ and Melchizedek priesthood?
3. I need to know what makes Christ priesthood and that of Melchizedek ‘one’

Thanks.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 12:08pm On Dec 22, 2010
It is so good to find so many people interested in this topic: Melchisedec is not so much a name as a title meaning "King of righteousness and peace". It follows that as High Priest forever after the order of Melchisedec = (head of Gods people in direct succession of the "King of righteousness and peace"wink Jesus , is head of the true church of god which as far as I can see, God named the order of Melchisedec HEB 7:11.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Zikkyy(m): 2:32pm On Dec 22, 2010
mikeg:

It follows that as High Priest forever after the order of Melchisedec = (head of Gods people in direct succession of the "King of righteousness and peace"wink

You say the order of Melchizedek has to do with his title as King of righteousness and peace? I am not so sure this is correct. Jo is the learned person here, he needs to come share his views on this.

mikeg:

Melchisedec is not so much a name as a title meaning "King of righteousness and peace".

It appears you were referring to Christ (and not the person Melchizedek a.k.a. ‘king of righteousness and peace’), when you said we are under the priesthood of Melchizedek. Well, if that’s what you meant, no wahala. But don’t you think it’s easier to say we are under Christ priesthood? Why take the long route?
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Sweetnecta: 4:08pm On Dec 22, 2010
Is Melchisedec of the OT Jesus of the NT?

If yes, how many Jesus(es) do we have?

If not, was the beginning and the end of Jesus not inferior to what is known of Melchisedec, who the Bible left still roaming the earth, still? grin
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 6:58pm On Dec 22, 2010
It does not say in scripture anywhere to my knowledge that 'Jesus is high priest forever after the order of the priesthood of Jesus' My point is that God named the new covenant priest/king priesthood, see Hebrews 7:11. Furthermore, he called all believers kings and priests Rev 1:6. So if one is a believer and therefore a priest king one must be a priest king of the same order of priest kings as our high priest Jesus and that is the order of Melchisedec. So what do I mean by make believe priesthoods? Well obviously any order of priests who claim to be priests of God most high but call themselves by made up names rather than the God given name.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Zikkyy(m): 10:45am On Dec 23, 2010
mikeg:

It does not say in scripture anywhere to my knowledge that 'Jesus is high priest forever after the order of the priesthood of Jesus'

It is also not written anywhere in the bible that Christ priesthood is ‘under’ the priesthood of Melchizedek. This is a simple matter, really. Saying Christ priesthood is according to/after the order of Melchizedek does not imply that Christ priesthood is categorized under the Melchizedek priesthood. It simply means that Christ priesthood is similar to that of Melchizedek. What makes Christ priesthood similar to Melchizedek’s? It’s because Melchizedek’s priesthood is considered to be eternal, just like Christ’s. Melchizedek priesthood is a type, a priesthood that is eternal, and Christ priesthood is categorized under this same type (i.e. the eternal priesthood and not Melchizedek priesthood). So, saying we are back to the order of Melchizedek could create a misleading impression, and that’s why I had issues with a portion of your post (below).

mikeg:

The new priesthood is not really Melchizedek priesthood, we are under a new type of priesthood (a type to which Melchizedek priesthood also belongs) with Christ as the high priest. You should also note that Christ priesthood is not a continuation (succession) of Melchizedek priesthood, it’s brand new. That’s why I say they are different.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 11:34am On Dec 23, 2010
OK let's take a breath, it is well known that Christ died for the sins of the world 1 Jo 2:2 . It is not well known that Christ became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey him called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec Hbr 5:9-10. Why not? Obviously because those of other priest orders don't preach it.

If the Holy Spirit thought it was necessary to use this title rather than say 'Jesus will eternally save all who obey him' I guess there is good reason.

Salvation is by grace through faith (by faith not through, if born a Jew) and faith of course is being assured of things unseen but related to us by the word of God. If our faith is based on anything other than the word of God it is simply make believe.

As for the man Melchizedek we are asked to consider how great this man was Hbr 7:4 something we are asked to do of no other person in the Bible including Jesus. Clearly this priesthood is very important to God.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Joagbaje(m): 1:41pm On Dec 23, 2010
@op.
Me I'm still not very clear of the point and purpose of this thread.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 5:04pm On Dec 26, 2010
I too wonder sometimes as to just what the point is . For many years now I have been on the internet radio and TV with friends and family explaining to people that they have been robbed of their inheritance in Christ. That they have been lied to by people who seek only to glorify themselves, people who have sold out for money and position. I am small fry compaired to some who have given their very lives to get this message out so that at this time people just about anywhere in the world can pick up a bible and read it for themselves but still they cling the the fairytales they have been spoon fed by organised religion.

If I was to tell someone they were owed £1,000.000 and that someone had lied to keep them from getting it I've an idea that the reaction would be somewhat diffrent but because these things are sspirituallyunderstood it is as if people don't care.

As you say, what's the point.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Sweetnecta: 10:35pm On Dec 26, 2010
^^^^^^ While Mikeg, above, provided to single proof, considering that the same Bible he is lionizing were written by mere men who did not receive any prophetic office, and Jesus since he is a christian did not exist in their time. It is nt only this, but we read opinions of men, and mundane statements that actually call the whole bible into question of authenticity. A beautiful writing may not always be truthful, while a not as beautiful one is probably the truth, absolutely.

@Mikeg: « #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:58 PM »
[Quote]It does not say in scripture anywhere to my knowledge that 'Jesus is high priest forever after the order of the priesthood of Jesus' My point is that God named the new covenant priest/king priesthood, see Hebrews 7:11. Furthermore, he called all believers kings and priests[b] Rev 1:6.[/b] So if one is a believer and therefore a priest king one must be a priest king of the same order of priest kings as our high priest Jesus and that is the order of Melchisedec. So what do I mean by make believe priesthoods? Well obviously any order of priests who claim to be priests of God most high but call themselves by made up names rather than the God given name.[/Quote]If the claims are made based on the hebrew and revelation verses, then we have a problem. Jesus had nothing to do with both, even acts. If you cant substantiate it by the Gospel, there is no point even critiquing it. But then, if Melchisedec is at least strong as Jesus, then Jesus is not unique. Or do we have 2 parallels; Melchisedec and Melchisedec-like (Jesus) going? One dead if only for a short period of time according to NT while the one from OT is never considered dead? In reality which one is more authentic; the dead or the one that has not experienced death?

@Zikkyy (m): « #16 on: December 23, 2010, 10:45 AM »
[QUote]Quote from: mikeg on December 22, 2010, 06:58 PM
It does not say in scripture anywhere to my knowledge that 'Jesus is high priest forever after the order of the priesthood of Jesus'

It is also not written anywhere in the bible that Christ priesthood is ‘under’ the priesthood of Melchizedek. This is a simple matter, really. Saying Christ priesthood is according to/after the order of Melchizedek does not imply that Christ priesthood is categorized under the Melchizedek priesthood. It simply means that Christ priesthood is similar to that of Melchizedek. What makes Christ priesthood similar to Melchizedek’s? It’s because Melchizedek’s priesthood is considered to be eternal, just like Christ’s. Melchizedek priesthood is a type, a priesthood that is eternal, and Christ priesthood is categorized under this same type (i.e. the eternal priesthood and not Melchizedek priesthood). So, saying we are back to the order of Melchizedek could create a misleading impression, and that’s why I had issues with a portion of your post (below).[/Quote]But it is not written anywhere that the priesthood of Mechisedec is under that of Jesus, either! This is something worthy of you investigating, while you do not claim Melchisedec is important that Abraham, then, but you claim it is Jesus that is important than everyone? At best we have two melchisedec or two jesus[es] running. heck Melchisedec is not dead, according to your Bible. He didnt beg anyone. No one of his prayers failed to materialize. We cant say the same for jesus of NT. So how is Jesus more important, then? Yet we have The Almighty ABOVE everyone; Melchisedec, jesus and all.

[QUote]Quote from: mikeg on December 21, 2010, 04:57 AM

The new priesthood is not really Melchizedek priesthood, we are under a new type of priesthood (a type to which Melchizedek priesthood also belongs) with Christ as the high priest. You should also note that Christ priesthood is not a continuation (succession) of Melchizedek priesthood, it’s brand new. That’s why I say they are different.[/Quote]From your opinion, against mikeg's, we can say that Melchizedek's priesthood is not ended, though Jesus priesthood started, running as well. Dont we therefore have 2 major priesthoods running there; lessening the importance of Jesus in every respect?

@mikeg: « #17 on: December 23, 2010, 11:34 AM »
[Quote]OK let's take a breath, it is well known that Christ died for the sins of the world 1 Jo 2:2 . It is not well known that Christ became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey him called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec Hbr 5:9-10. Why not? Obviously because those of other priest orders don't preach it.[/Quote]the bold has no proof. no basis, except that it was said by who said it, taking it as a matter of fact.

[Quote]If the Holy Spirit thought it was necessary to use this title rather than say 'Jesus will eternally save all who obey him' I guess there is good reason.

Salvation is by grace through faith (by faith not through, if born a Jew) and faith of course is being assured of things unseen but related to us by the word of God. If our faith is based on anything other than the word of God it is simply make believe.

As for the man Melchizedek we are asked to consider how great this man was Hbr 7:4 something we are asked to do of no other person in the Bible including Jesus. Clearly this priesthood is very important to God.[/QUote]I see Hitler, with his faith entering Christian Paradise based on the bold. However others like Melchizedek may not, since they do not know Jesus or must have faith in him, obviously, for many reasons, a glaring one is that his priesthood is no less than that of Jesus.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by ttalks(m): 9:36am On Dec 27, 2010
Heb 7:17
(17)  For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Anybody who understands English language properly will know that this simply means:

"For he testifies, you are a priest forever just like/similar to Melchisedec."

This is very simple. I wonder why some people make mountains out of mole-hills.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Joagbaje(m): 5:49pm On Dec 27, 2010
@sweetnecta
From your opinion, against mikeg's, we can say that Melchizedek's priesthood is not ended, though Jesus priesthood started, running as well. Dont we therefore have 2 major priesthoods running there; lessening the importance of Jesus in every respect?

Priesthood is not thesame as order. Priesthood is under a particular Order. Under levitical order there were several priests that came and gone. Jesus did Not create a new Order, he only reverted to the Order of Melchizedekwhich existed before Levitical. Levitical was stricly for the Jews only. Now that the kingdom has God beyond the Jews, there is need for another Order.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 6:47pm On Dec 27, 2010
I need to apologise to everyone because I have obviously not been clear in what I am saying. In Hebrews 7:11 we read, after the order of Aaron? This relates to the Levitical priest order i. e. If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood. The point being made is that if people could be made perfect (Gods required standard) by the ministry of those called/named the 'Levitical priesthood' what need was there for another priesthood called/named the 'Melchisedec priesthood' to be established with Christ as high priest?

So then this scripture alone makes it very clear that the priest order of Christ is called/named 'Melchisedec' and obviously there are priests of this order or Christ would be simply priest.

In other places as we have already seen believers are said to be kings and priests and as  the order of Melchisedec is the only priest/king order and Christ is High Priest of that order surely it follows that believers are priests of that order too.

Not to mention that believers also qualify for this priesthood by virtue of an endless life.

To conclude then, one church established and named by God 'the order of Melchisedec', one High Priest forever 'Jesus Christ', all believers priests within this order.
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by Sweetnecta: 7:47pm On Dec 27, 2010
@ttalks: « #21 on: Today at 09:36:02 AM »
[quote]Heb 7:17
(17) For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Anybody who understands English language properly will know that this simply means:
"For he testifies, you are a priest forever just like/similar to Melchisedec."
This is very simple. I wonder why some people make mountains out of mole-hills.[/Quote]The Book of Hebrew. Did Jesus have any role in it? I doubt it. Its a statement of a man putting words in the mouth of Jesus. That will not count. So come again. This time use what Jesus said.

@Joagbaje (m): « #22 on: Today at 05:49:33 PM »
[Quote]@sweetnecta
From your opinion, against mikeg's, we can say that Melchizedek's priesthood is not ended, though Jesus priesthood started, running as well. Dont we therefore have 2 major priesthoods running there; lessening the importance of Jesus in every respect?

Priesthood is not thesame as order. Priesthood is under a particular Order. Under levitical order there were several priests that came and gone. Jesus did Not create a new Order, he only reverted to the Order of Melchizedekwhich existed before[b] Levitical. Levitical was stricly for the Jews only. Now that the kingdom has God beyond the Jews, there is need for another Order. [/b][/Quote]And Jesus said "I was sent to the Israelites". When did that included you? Maybe because the igbos are saying they are Jews? Common.You know you are a 100% gentile and you have no chance with Jesus. Besides, his time is over, just like the time of Moses was over when Jesus began preaching.

@Mikeg: « #23 on: Today at 06:47:04 PM »

I need to apologise to everyone because I have obviously not been clear in what I am saying. In Hebrews 7:11 we read, after the order of Aaron? This relates to the Levitical priest order i. e. If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood. The point being made is that if people could be made perfect (Gods required standard) by the ministry of those called/named the 'Levitical priesthood' what need was there for another priesthood called/named the 'Melchisedec priesthood' to be established with Christ as high priest?

So then this scripture alone makes it very clear that the priest order of Christ is called/named 'Melchisedec' and obviously there are priests of this order or Christ would be simply priest.

In other places as we have already seen believers are said to be kings and priests and as the order of Melchisedec is the only priest/king order and Christ is High Priest of that order surely it follows that believers are priests of that order too.[quote][/Quote]Especially when you believe in trinity? Tel how that fits with melchizedek who met Abraham the one who believed in 1 God?

[Quote]Not to mention that believers also qualify for this priesthood by virtue of an endless life.

To conclude then, one church established and named by God 'the order of Melchisedec', one High Priest forever 'Jesus Christ', all believers priests within this order.[/Quote]I wonder where the rhyme and reason are in this, since everyone will die, will many are looking for rapture? Is God not going to punish a person who took a god for God?
Re: The Priesthood Of Melchisedec by mikeg: 9:58am On Dec 28, 2010
Jhn 3:36 those that look to Jesus for salvation have everlasting life and again Jhn 11:26 , shall never die, To die is to be separated from life i.e. separated from God.

Many remain dead (separated from God) because of sin (mans natural condition since the fall). Believers pass from death to life, 1Jo 3:14 Believers know that they have passed from death to life, and if not here for the rapture they will have fallen asleep in Christ 1Cr 15:18.

There are some exceptions to this such as Enoch (translated) and Elijah (taken up in a chariot of fire) but for the most part believers are promised that they will never be separated from God (never die).

(1) (Reply)

Violence, Terror, And Islam: / "JESUS" and "CHRIST" ? / Atonement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.