Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? (6175 Views)

Machine Learning For Data Science: The Resources And How To Get Started / I Need Your Suggestions On The Best Javascript Course To Purchase / Data Analyst/science - The Smart Way To Learn And Be Effective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 8:37am On Mar 06, 2020
Its unfortunate though .. But I think computer science in Nigeria is the worst course to study in Nigeria owing to the fact that most lecturers have little or no programming experience and most times students are subjected to learning aceic languages like COBOL PASCAL FOTRAN , etc whereas those languages are now too low for the basic in these ever evolving tech industry

Feel free to add other ways you think we're missing it in computer science course in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:42am On Mar 06, 2020
COBOL is actually a good language to have o. I have seen some jobs requiring just that programming language and most times have no applicants. It's weird though.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 8:45am On Mar 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
COBOL is actually a good language to have o. I have seen some jobs requiring just that programming language and most times have no applicants. It's weird though.

In Nigeria?
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by hollyfat(m): 8:46am On Mar 06, 2020
Computer Science is not all about programming

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 8:49am On Mar 06, 2020
hollyfat:
Computer Science is not all about programming

Let's hear your view then..

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:50am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

In Nigeria?
Forget Nigeria in the scheme of things.

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nickisindigo(m): 8:50am On Mar 06, 2020
I need to go to training school sef
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 8:50am On Mar 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

COBOL (/ˈkoʊbɒl, -bɔːl/; an acronym for "common business-oriented language"wink is a compiled English-like computer programming language designed for business use. It is imperative, procedural and, since 2002, object-oriented. COBOL is primarily used in business, finance, and administrative systems for companies and governments. COBOL is still widely used in legacy applications deployed on mainframe computers, such as large-scale batch and transaction processing jobs. But due to its declining popularity and the retirement of experienced COBOL programmers, programs are being migrated to new platforms, rewritten in modern languages or replaced with software packages.[7] Most programming in COBOL is now purely to maintain existing applications.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:
Its unfortunate though .. But I think computer science in Nigeria is the worst course to study in Nigeria owing to the fact that most lecturers have little or no programming experience and most times students are subjected to learning aceic languages like COBOL PASCAL FOTRAN , etc whereas those languages are now too low for the basic in these ever evolving tech industry

Feel free to add other ways you think we're missing it in computer science course in Nigeria

Computer science is not about programming. It is even more of mathematics google the fathers of computers – Alan Turing who formulated the Turing machine and the Universal Turing Machine model, John Von Neumann who designed the current model used in computers nowadays and greatest of all Charles Babbage who was the first to plan and model a kind of programmable computer which widely influenced John Von Neumann, Alan Turing and many other computer scientists work and what relates them all is mathematics. The standard of computer science now is washed, those languages you mentioned are obsolete though still used by scientists like I've heard a language like C and C++ should be taught in schools not Java and python that are weak and not even half as powerful as C or C++. But to answer your question it isn't useless just push those languages aside though Paschal is still good, learn C and C++. These programming languages give you power over your computer.

4 Likes

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Davash222(m): 9:02am On Mar 06, 2020
90% of Computer science students in Nigeria don't even have computer.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 9:05am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

Computer science is not about programming. It is even more of mathematics google the fathers of computers – Alan Turing who formulated the Turing machine and the Universal Turing Machine model, John Von Neumann who designed the current model used in computers nowadays and greatest of all Charles Babbage who was the first to plan and model a kind of programmable computer which widely influenced John Von Neumann, Alan Turing and many other computer scientists work and what relates them all is mathematics. The standard of computer science now is washed, those languages you mentioned are obsolete though still used by scientists like I've heard a language like C and C++ should be taught in schools not Java and python that are weak and not even half as powerful as C or C++. But to answer your question it isn't useless just push those languages aside though Paschal is still good, learn C and C++. These programming languages give you power over your computer.

Thanks Man ... Am happy you really understand ... For me I think for the basics now ... Year one students after learning data structures and algorithms ... The language to start with is C and C++ .... Those statically type languages help a lot for beginners
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by spartan117(m): 9:10am On Mar 06, 2020
I will recommend computer science as a good course to study. It's true that the lecturer s don't teach modern languages like Python,JavaScript in-depth because they don't know it well themselves.

However studying computer science will give u a solid foundation in programming by teaching u data structures, algorithms etc and employers sometimes list this as a requirement for tech jobs, but most employers don't tech is perhaps the only field that a certificate doesn't count for much, what counts is first and foremost your[b]skills and a very strong portfolio to back it up.[/b]

So I'll recommend computer science but you have to learn a lot of technologies online and use the 4 years in school to build your portfolio.you don't have to wait for an actual client you can just sit at home and build a website for a fictional company then add it to your portfolio!
That's the beauty of tech, u can gain experience without working for actual clients.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by spartan117(m): 9:17am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

Thanks Man ... Am happy you really understand ... For me I think for the basics now ... Year one students after learning data structures and algorithms ... The language to start with is C and C++ .... Those statically type languages help a lot for beginners
I'm not sure about c and c++ most people recommend Python as a first language and Python is the second most in demand programming language beginning java and ahead of JavaScript and it's easy to understand and can be used in almost any Field: artificial intelligence (exclusively Python and any database language like mysql), web programming, software development, android development just name it.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 9:18am On Mar 06, 2020
spartan117:
I will recommend computer science as a good course to study. It's true that the lecturer s don't teach modern languages like Python,JavaScript in-depth because they don't know it well themselves.

However studying computer science will give u a solid foundation in programming by teaching u data structures, algorithms etc and employers sometimes list this as a requirement for tech jobs, but most employers don't tech is perhaps the only field that a certificate doesn't count for much, what counts is first and foremost your[b]skills and a very strong portfolio to back it up.[/b]

So I'll recommend computer science but you have to learn a lot of technologies online and use the 4 years in school to build your portfolio.you don't have to wait for an actual client you can just sit at home and build a website for a fictional company then add it to your portfolio!
That's the beauty of tech, u can gain experience without working for actual clients.

Well to crown it all .... Your worth in terms of knowledge in tech Industry depends on your personal development ... And that's where many students miss it ... I stand to be corrected though
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 9:21am On Mar 06, 2020
spartan117:

I'm not sure about c and c++ most people recommend Python as a first language and Python is the second most in demand programming language beginning java and ahead of JavaScript and it's easy to understand and can be used in almost any Field: artificial intelligence (exclusively Python and any database language like mysql), web programming etc.

I don't think so bro

Why?

Because it is always good to start with statically typed and procedural languages ... It will really expose you to what is happening under d hood
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by spartan117(m): 9:26am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

I don't think so bro

Why?

Because it is always good to start with statically typed and procedural languages ... It will really expose you to what is happening under d hood
Well knowing C and C++ will certainly make learning Python easier. However every 21st century developer should at least have an understanding of java,Python and JavaScript , they are the most in demand languages and aren't going away anytime soon. It depends on your field also.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 9:29am On Mar 06, 2020
spartan117:

Well knowing C and C++ will certainly make learning Python easier. However every 21st century developer should at least have an understanding of java,Python and JavaScript , they are the most in demand languages and aren't going away anytime soon. It depends on your field also.

Yes Sir .... Well said..
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:44am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

Yah they help a lot. Do Nigerian universities teach algorithms and data structures in first year.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 9:48am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

Yah they help a lot. Do Nigerian universities teach algorithms and data structures in first year.

Can't say for sure ... But the problem is that even when they do ... They only give them shallow knowledge about it .....

I had to leave everything I had at hand to learn data structures and algorithms and the truth is that it is really bigger than what people think it is...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 06, 2020
spartan117:

I'm not sure about c and c++ most people recommend Python as a first language and Python is the second most in demand programming language beginning java and ahead of JavaScript and it's easy to understand and can be used in almost any Field: artificial intelligence (exclusively Python and any database language like mysql), web programming, software development, android development just name it.
Nope Computer science students must know c and c++, data structures can only be implemented with a language that has pointers. Python's libraries were written using C. System calls are written using C, operating systems must be written using C (preferably C worst of all is that when you try to develop an OS say bye bye to libraries frameworks and interpreters and say hello to devilish hardware handling, Assembly language and beastly algorithms ) or C++, the problem of now is that the young and budding programmers are usually scared of low level stuff like memory address handling, pointers and deadly data structures like trees and graphs that is why people run to Python or Java forgetting that these languages actually have large complex beasts of program trying so hard to make life easier for them. But C and C++ are simple C is even the simplest language I've come across the only difficult thing to master is pointers and addresses. Go on YouTube and search for Linus Torvalds talks he made the most popular and beautiful statement "Nothing better than C" or C++ I might add.

3 Likes

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

Can't say for sure ... But the problem is that even when they do ... They only give them shallow knowledge about it .....

I had to leave everything I had at hand to learn data structures and algorithms and the truth is that it is really bigger than what people think it is...
So unfortunate, that is why our so called computer scientists in Nigeria only know how to use rubbish frameworks and libraries for getting that people created them.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:11am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

So unfortunate, that is why our so called computer scientists in Nigeria only know how to use rubbish frameworks and libraries for getting that people created them.

God bless you sir.....

I wish all NL developers could see this thread

Because that's where limitations start...

Because of what I saw in bootstrap as a 12 column framework that limits me to its structure I had to take an Advanced CSS course on udemy in order to get that flexibility I desire ... Using any type of grid layout I want either float or flex or even CSS grids
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:13am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

Most don't even understand the principles of Object Oriented Programming , Structural programming and the rest

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

God bless you sir.....

I wish all NL developers could see this thread

Because that's where limitations start...

Because of what I saw in bootstrap as a 12 column framework that limits me to its structure I had to take an Advanced CSS course on udemy in order to get that flexibility I desire ... Using any type of grid layout I want either float or flex or even CSS grids
When I wanted to learn web development at first, I learnt HTML, CSS and Javascript people were talking of Bootstrap I thought it was a language until I found out that it was a library. I just hissed and deleted the whole thing such rubbish when I am ready I will learn the whole Advanced CSS shit. As for PHP goddammit that language is ugly and jumbled gringrin
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:38am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

When I wanted to learn web development at first, I learnt HTML, CSS and Javascript people were talking of Bootstrap I thought it was a language until I found out that it was a library. I just hissed and deleted the whole thing such rubbish when I am ready I will learn the whole Advanced CSS shit. As for PHP goddammit that language is ugly and jumbled gringrin

Swears....

I was totally disappointed in procedural php...

When I finished with php basics I had to go and learn laravel ASAP from udemy and laravel documentations until I became fed up with php as a whole...
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

Swears....

I was totally disappointed in procedural php...

When I finished with php basics I had to go and learn laravel ASAP from udemy and laravel documentations until I became fed up with php as a whole...
gringringringrin
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:40am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

gringringringrin

Which language is doing the trick for you now
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:45am On Mar 06, 2020
pajosh:

Which language is doing the trick for you now
Bros I have turn face from web development for now I don't even know how I will go back, I searched for server side programming tutorials for c++ or C but I was so disappointed almost next to nothing. I have given up for now just improving my algorithmic skills and knowledge of data structures in C. I am yet to master n-ary trees and graphs. C# may be able to do the magic but my laptop is spoilt, wait I believe C# is up to the challenge. It's like C++ but remove pointers and addresses and multiple inheritance.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:50am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

Bros I have turn face from web development for now I don't even know how I will go back, I searched for server side programming tutorials for c++ or C but I was so disappointed almost next to nothing. I have given up for now just improving my algorithmic skills and knowledge of data structures in C. I am yet to master n-ary trees and graphs. C# may be able to do the magic but my laptop is spoilt, wait I believe C# is up to the challenge. It's like C++ but remove pointers and addresses and multiple inheritance.

I have a tutorial I recommend ... But it is in JavaScript and a Udemy course ... Do you mind

The tutorial finished all you need to know about data structures and algorithms ....

Shaped my life
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by spartan117(m): 11:00am On Mar 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

Nope Computer science students must know c and c++, data structures can only be implemented with a language that has pointers. Python's libraries were written using C. System calls are written using C, operating systems must be written using C (preferably C worst of all is that when you try to develop an OS say bye bye to libraries frameworks and interpreters and say hello to devilish hardware handling, Assembly language and beastly algorithms ) or C++, the problem of now is that the young and budding programmers are usually scared of low level stuff like memory address handling, pointers and deadly data structures like trees and graphs that is why people run to Python or Java forgetting that these languages actually have large complex beasts of program trying so hard to make life easier for them. But C and C++ are simple C is even the simplest language I've come across the only difficult thing to master is pointers and addresses. Go on YouTube and search for Linus Torvalds talks he made the most popular and beautiful statement "Nothing better than C" or C++ I might add.
No argument C is no doubt the best for OS development. Aside from that Python trumps it in nearly every other field
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 11:03am On Mar 06, 2020
spartan117:

No argument C is no doubt the best for OS development. Aside from that Python trumps it in nearly every other field

We're talking about language stack for beginners not intermediates or pros bro
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:03am On Mar 06, 2020
spartan117:

Lies python library was written in C compiler that you use today are written in C, hardware program are written in C, C can do everything python can do because it can access memory directly, C games would run far fasted than python games, the graphics APIs (OpenGL, Vulcan every single one of them) written in C. In Linus Torvalds voice (one of the greatest computer scientists in the world) "Nothing is better than C".

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Practice Programming on My PC? / 8 Reasons To Use Php In 2020 / 10 Greatest Computer Programmers In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.