Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,101 members, 7,818,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? (6202 Views)

Machine Learning For Data Science: The Resources And How To Get Started / I Need Your Suggestions On The Best Javascript Course To Purchase / Data Analyst/science - The Smart Way To Learn And Be Effective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 16, 2020
dometome:
Laughable! So If I want to make a simple calculator app on Android, I need to learn Assembly, LOL! Once again, the language you should use depends on the nature of the app, and what hardware the app will run on. Programming is not syntax, syntaxes differ but programming remains one. Learn one language, then you can easily learn others, even the mighty C++, they all use the same principles.
Did I dispute this, of course if you want to make a simple app nothing is wrong in writing with any language you want. I clearly said those languages are for high programming tasks. It improves your potency as a programmer. Jesus did you read what I wrote at all.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by dometome: 2:55am On Mar 18, 2020
Ausrichie:

Did I dispute this, of course if you want to make a simple app nothing is wrong in writing with any language you want. I clearly said those languages are for high programming tasks. It improves your potency as a programmer. Jesus did you read what I wrote at all.
not what you said. You want to make it as, if someone has never touched C++ , then that person isn't a programmer. I am like, is Brad Traversy not a programmer?

1 Like

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Xandelle: 2:16pm On Mar 18, 2020
pajosh:
Its unfortunate though .. But I think computer science in Nigeria is the worst course to study in Nigeria owing to the fact that most lecturers have little or no programming experience and most times students are subjected to learning aceic languages like COBOL PASCAL FOTRAN , etc whereas those languages are now too low for the basic in these ever evolving tech industry

Feel free to add other ways you think we're missing it in computer science course in Nigeria

Those languages aren't as useless as you think.. COBOL for example is strong in business logic, pascal is great for learning algorithms.

I think those languages in addition to C and C++ should be major requirements. If you complain about them, what then will self taught programmers like us do? There should be a difference, just like there's a difference between a formally trained medical doctor and a roadside chemist.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by spoilerx: 7:41pm On Mar 18, 2020
pajosh:
Its unfortunate though .. But I think computer science in Nigeria is the worst course to study in Nigeria owing to the fact that most lecturers have little or no programming experience and most times students are subjected to learning aceic languages like COBOL PASCAL FOTRAN , etc whereas those languages are now too low for the basic in these ever evolving tech industry

Feel free to add other ways you think we're missing it in computer science course in Nigeria

Computer science isnt only about programming

1 Like

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 7:11am On Mar 20, 2020
universities should focus on using modern programming languages like c#, python,js, php to also teach data structures and algorithm
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by EvilSec: 7:16am On Mar 21, 2020
pajosh:

While new students might not realize this, "computer science" does not teach how to code. Instead, it teaches lots of useful information that coders might need, like O(n) or OS fundamentals.

To learn to code, the best route is self study rather than CS or any other major. There’s probably no other skill for which there is so much freely available high-quality learning material online. Be wary of coding bootcamps though: most of them haven’t lived up to their promises.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by EvilSec: 7:25am On Mar 21, 2020
ClintonNzedimma:
universities should focus on using modern programming languages like c#, python,js, php to also teach data structures and algorithm

Modern programming languages?? The biggest flaw in computer science is that it's decades out of date. The modern curricula was designed around 1980 and hasn't changed much since. It's more like a class in medieval literature than a class in modern literature. For example, students are still indoctrinated into the RISC religion even though it's been obsolete since 1995 having been replaced by OoO (out-of-order) microprocessors.

My specialty, networking, is even more horrifically out of date. They can't even teach a basic concept like byte-order correctly (big-endian vs. little-endian). Don't get me started on parsers.

My other speciality, security, largely doesn't exist. University textbooks teaching how to build websites with PHP and SQL still instruct students to program in a way that will result in SQL injection.

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 8:04am On Mar 21, 2020
EvilSec:

Modern programming languages?? The biggest flaw in computer science is that it's decades out of date. The modern curricula was designed around 1980 and hasn't changed much since. It's more like a class in medieval literature than a class in modern literature. For example, students are still indoctrinated into the RISC religion even though it's been obsolete since 1995 having been replaced by OoO (out-of-order) microprocessors.

My specialty, networking, is even more horrifically out of date. They can't even teach a basic concept like byte-order correctly (big-endian vs. little-endian). Don't get me started on parsers.

My other speciality, security, largely doesn't exist. University textbooks teaching how to build websites with PHP and SQL still instruct students to program in a way that will result in SQL injection.

It is always nice to speak on the fields Networking and Security just as you pointed out

Other than saying what you are not Too sure about PROGRAMMING

My piece ... Take it or leave it..
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by EvilSec: 8:29am On Mar 21, 2020
pajosh:

It is always nice to speak on the fields Networking and Security just as you pointed out

Other than saying what you are not Too sure about PROGRAMMING

My piece ... Take it or leave it..

Logic buddy... Logic.
If I wasn't a programmer, I wouldn't know bad PHP and SQL codes when I spot one.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Ajibade123(m): 2:30pm On Mar 21, 2020
pajosh:

We're talking about language stack for beginners not intermediates or pros bro
pajosh I sent you a mail
I don't know if you have any materials on object oriented programming with python
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Ebukawaylaid(m): 8:16pm On Mar 21, 2020
pajosh:

I sell for free bro but still carry on with your business if you see anyone interested to buy from you here ....

Good evening bro.
I am new to programming... Pls, I need the tutorial you talked about.
Thanks
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Kvngfrosh(m): 10:42am On Mar 22, 2020
Pls am new to Programming
Can someone pls recommend a language fr me to learn or a course to enroll in
Am a computer science student 100 level
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 7:53am On Mar 30, 2020
Ajibade123:

pajosh I sent you a mail
I don't know if you have any materials on object oriented programming with python

Did you get my reply??
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 7:54am On Mar 30, 2020
Ebukawaylaid:

Good evening bro.
I am new to programming... Pls, I need the tutorial you talked about.
Thanks

Which language did you start with?
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Ajibade123(m): 9:36pm On Mar 30, 2020
pajosh:

Did you get my reply??
no sir
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Ebukawaylaid(m): 10:16pm On Mar 30, 2020
pajosh:

Which language did you start with?

I appreciate your concern.

I started with Web development... HTML, css, JavaScript... And now php...
But I'm also trying to study Python, as I wish to go into Data science.

Thanks bro.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:23pm On Mar 30, 2020
Ajibade123:

no sir

Okk have you done JavaScript
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:27pm On Mar 30, 2020
Ebukawaylaid:

I appreciate your concern.

I started with Web development... HTML, css, JavaScript... And now php...
But I'm also trying to study Python, as I wish to go into Data science.

Thanks bro.

OK sir , nice choice but have you Masterd Data Structures And Algorithms and Object Oriented Programming
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Ebukawaylaid(m): 4:55am On Mar 31, 2020
pajosh:

OK sir , nice choice but have you Masterd Data Structures And Algorithms and Object Oriented Programming

No Sir... Can you pls help me with the materials on it.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Ajibade123(m): 9:25am On Mar 31, 2020
pajosh:

Okk have you done JavaScript
no just python
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 4:08pm On Mar 31, 2020
Ebukawaylaid:

No Sir... Can you pls help me with the materials on it.

OK sir ... But the One I recommend is on JavaScript ... hope you don't mind?
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 4:10pm On Mar 31, 2020
Ajibade123:

no just python

I don't think it is a good idea Sir
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Deicide: 7:21pm On Mar 31, 2020
ClintonNzedimma:
angry all this language are not modern programming language na 20+ years ago na modern?
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Deicide: 7:25pm On Mar 31, 2020
EvilSec:

I learnt all this in school na, so what are you talking about? And besides it's a university for crying out loud, you don't expect them to spoon feed you everything...
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Ebukawaylaid(m): 2:55am On Apr 01, 2020
pajosh:

OK sir ... But the One I recommend is on JavaScript ... hope you don't mind?

No problems... Here is my email chukwuebukaokechi9@gmail.com
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by pajosh(m): 10:11am On Apr 01, 2020
Ebukawaylaid:

No problems... Here is my email chukwuebukaokechi9@gmail.com
noted
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Maskyy(m): 8:44pm On Apr 03, 2020
Codecircle as a community has decided to train code lovers on web development with thesee technologies Html, CSS, Javascript, python, nodejs, PHP.

The form is available below and follow them on their Twitter page.

There is an elapsed time for registration, which is this week.

On Twitter [url]twitter.com/Codecircle_[/url]

https://forms.gle/1MLbhznrNXJg7hsr9
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:32pm On Apr 22, 2020
Well I studied computer science and am even going to do it at my masters and Phd level.!
What people don't understand is that, the school is only meant to guide you, thhe school has provided a ride, its meant for you on how you want the ride to be.!
If u wait on ur lecturer to explain every concept to you on the white board, then you are far from learning anything in computer science.!!!!

1 Like

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:36pm On Apr 22, 2020
spartan117:

No argument C is no doubt the best for OS development. Aside from that Python trumps it in nearly every other field
sick talk...
Like what and what.?
You want to compare a low level Compiled language with a high level interpreted language.
Erhnmmm, thats why u need to go to school.!
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by InfinityFabric: 9:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
Lordpeckxy:

sick talk...
Like what and what.?
You want to compare a low level Compiled language with a high level interpreted language.
Erhnmmm, thats why u need to go to school.!

Anyone who says that about Python is either half drunk or half-drunk.

Tell him PC games will be a joke if written in Python, compilers and linker?
Database Systems
Typically any high latency, real-time system and application software is out of the window.
Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:24am On Apr 23, 2020
InfinityFabric:

Anyone who says that about Python is either half drunk or half-drunk.

Tell him PC games will be a joke if written in Python, compilers and linker?
Database Systems
Typically any high latency, real-time system and application software is out of the window.

Its just that people don't understand the underlying depth of a language, Python Is overhyped, Some Lunatic is comparing C with Python, At best Python is used for web, Data Analytics, Mining, Some Mathematical and Scientific Computations and some other related things but apart from this don't call it, you can't bring a dagger to a machine gun fight.!!!

1 Like

Re: Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:33am On Apr 23, 2020
pajosh:

Have you been in a lecture hall been lectured abt Computer Science...
NOO!!! Good, the fact remains that no matter how the lecturer breaks the concept into accessible there are still some dumb students that will not understand anything, Great, No research, No studying, No practicing, thats the student moto.! With a little bit of Lecture and a little time of self study using internet Platforms, with a little bit of practicing, you will be better than u ever think.!
And I did have great Lecturers that are proficient enough to Stand and say, I can do this.!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Greatest Computer Programmers In History / 8 Reasons To Use Php In 2020 / Solving Real Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.