Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon (1072 Views)

Fuel Subsidy: Our Members Are Marginalised In Palliative Distribution – PWDs Cry / Any Igbo Still Supporting UGM Doesn't Mean Well For Igbos / Is Igbo's Still Part Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by irepnaija4eva(m): 9:58am On Mar 06, 2020
ABUJA—Fifty years after his administration ended a brutal civil war with the Igbo, former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (retd), confessed, yesterday, that the Igbo nation had been marginalised in Nigeria’s polity.

Gowon, who spoke at a public event organised by Igbo Leadership Development Foundation, called for the adoption of appropriate measures to ameliorate the pains of the Igbo.

Gowon, who was represented by a former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Dr. Obadiah Mailafia, spoke at the debate for National Unity with the theme: “Federal Character, Restructuring and Rotation of Presidential Power in Nigeria.”

The former head of state, who ended the Nigerian civil war with the slogan ‘No Victor, No Vanquished’, said Nigeria had what it takes to cater adequately for all Nigerians irrespective of tribe or creed.

The former leader, however, suggested the convocation of a constitutional debate on restructuring to undertake a holistic correction of the observable imbalances that had kept Nigeria down over the years with a view to making progress and promoting national unity and cohesion.

He said: “I believe that a lot of injustice has been done to the Igbo and a constitutional debate on restructuring must address all imbalances and restore hope and confidence.

Nigeria is big enough for all of us and I believe that the Igbo, Middle Belt and the Yoruba are the true Nigerians because if you look round our borders, people came from abroad and are still coming but Ndigbo have always been there, Middle Belt people have always been there, even Yoruba have always been there.

People who came in yesterday who have a duty of respect are now the ones talking. Going forward, we must create a federal democracy that will respond positively to all the aspirations of our people not about East-West but all about working together in equality, bringing in the youths and the women to build a new Nigeria.”

The former head of state pointed out that Nigeria remains incomplete without Ndigbo, adding that the nation needed to properly harness the intelligence, creativity and hard work of Ndigbo for national growth and development.

According to Gowon, God did not make mistake by making Ndigbo part and parcel of Nigeria. He, therefore, called for justice, equity and fair play in Nigeria.

Gowon maintained that while restructuring was critical to national advancement, it must be carried out in an atmosphere of tolerance and love for one other.

”I am not a friend of hate speech and bitterness but a friend of patriotism because Nigeria is dear to my heart and I believe in bright future of Nigeria and Ndigbo and that together, we can make our country great,” he said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/03/igbo-still-marginalised-in-nigeria-gowon/
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Dreal1247: 10:02am On Mar 06, 2020
The truth gradually coming out from the right source. Better late than never at all. Compensation will soon become an issue of discussion.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Witcher(f): 10:04am On Mar 06, 2020
Because Ibos see everything through the prism of Osu cast system

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 06, 2020
This man, again?

Is he feeling guilty?

The igbos he massacred and his zone,even with the marginalization,who is feeling the heat now?

He never knew tomorrow.

If u check the poverty index, igbo it at the lowest.

Go to states in the east,they produce virtually everything they need.
What do his region boast off?

If things continue as it is,in the next ten yrs,middle belt will be completely dominated and taken over by the fulanis the way they took over hausaland.

So,go and fight for your region and leave igbo alone.

We will never fall for these receipts anymore

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by irepnaija4eva(m): 10:09am On Mar 06, 2020
Witcher:

NOW calm down and re- read what you just wrote and judge your sence.. cool
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by REALHEAVEN: 10:25am On Mar 06, 2020
Witcher:

The problem with folks like you is that your sense of reasoning has been clouded with so much sentiments that there is absolutely no iota of space for objectivity.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Tflesk: 11:00am On Mar 06, 2020
Witcher:
haters of truth... keep hiding under a female moniker,,, ASSHOLE
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by LegoxMetahuman: 11:33am On Mar 06, 2020
Thank You general Gowon our hero for saying the truth

that's why you are greater than ojukwu.

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Built2last: 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2020
All these stories are tales of a dieing man who is constantly hunted by his past.

Igbos can't be bothered. The blessed race has survived all odds and will continue to flourish.

Time will separate Igbos from Nigeria. it may delay, may not even be in our life time but will happen

1 Like

Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by sremmlyf(m): 12:49pm On Mar 06, 2020
Gowon go and die
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 06, 2020
I keep asking this question, please can someone tell us how Igbos are marginalised in Nigeria.

I look around and I do not see it.

Please help my ignorance and explain. Thanks.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by goodnessme1(f): 1:17pm On Mar 06, 2020
No reasonable Igbo man will listen to a genocidice like Gowon the hero of yorubas and Hausafulanis.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by holicupp(m): 1:49pm On Mar 06, 2020
Witcher:

Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by tatatar: 2:27pm On Mar 06, 2020
sassysure:
This man, again?

Is he feeling guilty?

The igbos he massacred and his zone,even with the marginalization,who is feeling the heat now?

He never knew tomorrow.

If u check the poverty index, igbo it at the lowest.

Go to states in the east,they produce virtually everything they need.
What do his region boast off?

If things continue as it is,in the next ten yrs,middle belt will be completely dominated and taken over by the fulanis the way they took over hausaland.

So,go and fight for your region and leave igbo alone.

We will never fall for these receipts anymore
Oga stop lying sad
Your poverty index is the highest after the north
Your entire SE IGR isn't up to the ogun state
Your land is barren of resources,let it be barricaded and you'll all die of hunger like it happened before

1 Like

Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 06, 2020
goodnessme1:
No reasonable Igbo man will listen to a genocidice like Gowon the hero of yorubas and Hausafulanis.
NOW I know why GOD almighty kept him Alive till this moment, so that he could witness FIRST-HAND the mayhem perpetrated in his community by those he fought for.

...... JEREMIAH USENI is also alive.
May GOD continue keeping them Alive.
They are not going anywhere ooo.
I WISH dem Longer Life.
Their EFFORTS and EXPERTISE are needed now.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Susu888(m): 3:00pm On Mar 06, 2020
Witcher:

Shawara sis. Ki sauke pic dinki for your safety!! Lots of psycho's on this forum lipsrsealed.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by Susu888(m): 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2020
Always with the marginalization sh*t... una no dey tire? undecided

Don't we all agree that poverty is highest in the north as with western education being low?
Why aren't we crying marginalization? Na only igbos waka come? angry
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by ursullalinda(f): 3:17pm On Mar 06, 2020
Chi efo.....now u know.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by orisa37: 3:30pm On Mar 06, 2020
This Topic is irrelevant now. It's Hocus-pocus, a political jargon. It's GOWON who launched "no Victor no vanquished".. Yoruba Proverb: "Recue a chick from Death of probably a snake bite, and it asked to be left to dig it's father's grave".

RESTRUCTURE NIGERIA AND THE IGBOS CAN BE PRESIDENT FOR EVER.
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by orisa37: 3:45pm On Mar 06, 2020
To Amotekun, Akeredolu and Deji: The Igbos are getting worse than Bandits and FULANI HERDSMEN. I learned that they have bought all the Lands at Arakale Road at AKURE. Remember that it was an Igboman who entered The Deji's Palace with a Crown on his head calling the Deji's Attention before he was beaten up by "OMODE-OWA".
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by OluwaDamilola01: 3:59pm On Mar 06, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:
I keep asking this question, please can someone tell us how Igbos are marginalised in Nigeria.

I look around and I do not see it.

Please help my ignorance and explain. Thanks.
[/s]
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by rummmy: 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2020
tatatar:

Oga stop lying sad
Your poverty index is the highest after the north
Your entire SE IGR isn't up to the ogun state
Your land is barren of resources,let it be barricaded and you'll all die of hunger like it happened before
so why forcing an assumed cursed land to remain in Nigeria?
Re: Igbo Still Marginalised In Nigeria — Gowon by 9japride(m): 4:38pm On Mar 06, 2020
Those asking why Igbos always claim to be marginalized, should just read through nairaland daily and see hate filled post about the Igbos. Then just imagine giving those savages who post trash daily elective positions in Nigeria, the result will be unfavorable policies against the Igbos and nepotism. That's what is happening in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

D / Fg Explains How The Poor In Nigeria Are Sent Cash Amid Coronavirus Pandemic / Bill Gates Prediction About The Pandemic. My Thoughts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.