Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police (1656 Views)

Fashola Calls For A Change In House Rent Collection System In Nigeria / Fashola Calls For Competent Public Servants / Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by ekubear1: 3:55pm On Dec 22, 2010
@Dede1's point is a good one. Yes to state police, no to state police being controlled by governors (or possibly any part of the executive branch.)

Perhaps they should be under the state legislature? Or a separate branch of government, with the state police commisioner some sort of elected office? I'm not sure what the best way to organize things is. . .
Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by jaygetta(m): 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2010
Can someone please tell Kobojunkie to STFU! Its not against the law to refrain from typing! That said, I support Eku-bear and Dede1's positions, Nigerian Governors are too draconian to become "over-lords" of an impending state police. Something's gotta be put in place to assure some sorta checks and balances and to make sure that abuse of the security apparatus is checked.
Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by debosky(m): 4:28pm On Dec 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well, Keeping quiet actually spares us the shouts. I mean he is a position of power, and telling us what we already know.

As a governor he has no power to change the constitution, so all he can do is make consistent calls for it to happen. In that regard, this 'position of power' comment is out of place - all he can do is to try to influence the NASS to do the right thing. One of the ways to do that is to keep making the public calls and getting the 'stakeholders' as it were (the current police force) believing in the goal - that is what he is doing.

Why? That is sort of like listening to sanctimonious NASS agents telling us over and over about the problems with government but none of them actually stepping out to do something about it.

That is a completely different thing - NASS members can change the constitution, Fashola cannot. This sounds like a well intentioned but misdirected rant.

If you are not EMPOWERED to change it(even with all the power you have been given by the people), then stop. I mean who is going to fix the problem is no one steps out to lead?

Again, what 'power' has he been given? Is he capable of changing the constitution? His power is to influence the NASS, and I believe he is doing that.

I don't know about you being 'told over and over', but if an issue is no longer discussed, it often gets forgotten so there is value in continuing to repeat the message that state police is desirable.

I appreciate you have a bias for more action and less talk, but in this case - that is what the action comprises of.
Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^^

I don’t see it that way ANYMORE. I now see the Governors as people in power able to galvanize the people towards a cause. I see Governors as people powerful enough to not only bring people’s attentions to issues but help in gathering the people together to vote or match for a cause.   

These governors know how to go out there to get people to vote for them? Some of our governors have, by using their influence, been able to get Nigerians to match, for one cause or another? We saw this happen right before NASS moved to quickly appoint Jonathan as acting president – NASS literally went over the constitution to get that done. There was already a case in the courts to force NASS to impeach yar adua but that was ignored and NASS, sort of, did the bidding of the people there instead.

The Nigerian problem remains the issue of inactivity on the part of the people. That has almost always been true. It was true in January as well when Fashola, among others, took it on themselves to wake the people up to do something about the AsoRock situation then. The same Fashola was even able to get Jonathan to pledge billions to flood victims in Lagos some months ago – something the 2 million people in Jigawa probably did not get half of. Jonathan Goodluck has been able to get over 400,000 Nigerians to sign on to Facebook and love on him regularly. That is power, and here people use it.

I don't believe in discussing over and over, real issues I am unwilling to do anything real about. I believe action speaks louder than words. Some of us have no real power to do anything but will do what we can from where we find ourselves. I can talk about plans for 20 years to build or change something but only when I actually embark on making that change will all that talk matter.

Governors, local government leaders, State house reps, etc are in positions that allow them to do something about the major issue. It might not solve the problem as a whole but they are, more times than not, able to affect the issue in some way by doing their own bit. And this is especially true in Nigeria. I have seen that those we have in power, even Governors, can play a part, and I wish they would take what they have learnt of Nigerians and use it for the good of Nigeria.

Yes, it is not what Governors in modern countries do but it is what we have seen work for us. We even saw how Ibori was able to get some of his people to defend/hide him (a criminal) so he could run away. We see the influence these Governors/leaders have even on people here on Nairaland – there are so many sycophants on here claiming glory and wisdom for their governor and hacking left and right at anyone who tries to say anything else.
Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by felele(m): 5:33pm On Dec 22, 2010
babapupa:

Ode,  What's your silly link got to do with state police? And this is what your dumb link said,

The Lekki Project
is a 30-year contract that involves the construction and operation of a toll road corridor along the Lekki peninsular of Lagos, Nigeria. (This area is considered the fastest growing residential and commercial land in Africa). The road is an approximately 50km strip of road that heads towards the east of Victoria Island.

Standard Bank Plc's role in the landmark deal was as Lead Arranger, Underwriter, and largest lender to the project as well as the sole arranger of currency hedging. In addition The Standard Bank of South Africa (Project Finance) acted as Co-financial Advisor to the project.

Funding for the project, which should take three years to complete, comes from the Lagos State which has invested Naira N5bn (US$42 million) in a 20-year mezzanine tranche. The African Development Bank provided N10bn (USD85 million) senior debt over 15 years and local bank lenders provided a 12-year note facility of N9.4bn (US$80 million).

The remaining NGN 11bn (USD93 million) 15 year term funding was provided by Standard Bank Plc and onshore affiliate, Stanbic IBTC Plc.

"To source 15-year Naira in this climate is testament to a well structured and solid deal," said Mike Waller from Standard Bank Plc. Standard Bank was able to use both its offshore and onshore Naira risk management platforms to structure the long-dated cross currency swap, allowing dollar funded institutions to participate."

Commenting on the deal Rupert Boyd, Managing Director and Global Head of Distribution at Standard Bank said "This was possibly the highest profile transaction in Nigeria this year, given that the condition of the road directly affects the lives of millions of traffic-locked Lagosians."

Now, show us where it asserted anything regarding your ignorant nonsense.

They really need to ban you fools for spamming and peddling fake and irrelevant nonsense all over the place.

Oponu Ayirada If only you could read, you would see that I'm saying: according to the link, Lagos State taxpayers have already paid for the road, as the government's undisclosed contribution amounts to 10% of the stated project cost, and only 10% of the road has been completed thus far. Point is, why should anyone be charging tolls on this road, you numpty!

Anything that questions your ogas, you bristle and start charging. You come at me like that again, you'll wish you'd been flushed down the toilet as menstruation. Oloshi akotileta omo, then again, why am I surprised at that. Isn't that what your employers do, both the Governor Emeritus and his appointed Administrator?
Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by ekubear1: 6:06pm On Dec 22, 2010
Nope, Lagos State is only loaning 5 billion naira to LCC. 20 year loan. I'm not sure what the interest rate is though.

Remember that after 30 years, Lagos State inherits the road, too.

I don't understand how anyone can be complaining about this project.

Even the people who live nearby and are complaining about how they'll have to pay to go to their homes. . . well, they don't seem to be voicing any complaints about their increased property values, are they?
Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by felele(m): 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2010
eku_bear:

Nope, Lagos State is only loaning 5 billion naira to LCC. 20 year loan. I'm not sure what the interest rate is though.

Remember that after 30 years, Lagos State inherits the road, too.

I don't understand how anyone can be complaining about this project.

Even the people who live nearby and are complaining about how they'll have to pay to go to their homes. . . well, they don't seem to be voicing any complaints about their increased property values, are they?

Are you stating this officially on behalf of Lagos State government as operated by the Governor Emeritus and His chief Administrator, or is this just rumour. The link I pasted clearly states that the project is financed by Lagos State. It does not state that the finance is a loan. Why was this not made public officially by the state government? Why did we have to find out like this? Why have they constantly and consistently LIED again and again that the project is wholly funded by LCC, when in fact there is not a kobo belonging to LCC in the project?

Who is fooling who here? Let them come and collect the tolls, let us see. Whether na this one go finally demystify these tyrants once and for all sef. Yeye THIEVES!
Re: Fashola Calls For Establishement Of State Police by ekubear1: 11:37pm On Dec 22, 2010
Just google around a bit. There is a powerpoint presentation online by "Opuiyo Oforiokuma" that describes the financing of the project. Public knowledge, at this point.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Before Fuel Subsidy Goes: Culled From The Leadership Newspaper / List Of African Countries By Literacy Rate / Breaking News. Minister Of Power Berth Nnaji Resigns.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.