Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,227 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b (12098 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Trains With Larry The Boxer In London (Photo) / How The Ooni Of Ife Died In London - Sahara Reporters / Stop The Sale In The Uk Of Stolen Benin Artefacts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 4:33pm On Dec 22, 2010
jaygetta:

@Buzugee: Na wa o, this one wey be say all your friends, family and Acquaintances nah criminals and fraudsters. . . . hmmmm, sha u sef confess say u be ogbologbo olodu, so I guess no shaking. Abi?
yes i have dabbled in 'odu' in the past and like 99 percent of my friends in london in the nineties all did it. wasnt no IT back then. you were either an olodu or a security guard. pick one ? grin
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 22, 2010
Solozzo:

The glorious mask was stolen all right but [s]it was part of what can be regarded as spoils of war.[/s] When you lose a war you are bound to lose a lot of property you may never get back. You may trade your life or even  your race for those material things. The mask is currently in private hands and we cannot use poitics to get it back. I suggest that Edo state govt with the assistance of the Federal government buy the mask back and ensure it 's safe keeping and preservation, That is the way to go
Are you ok ? Which war are you talking about ?
Those guys came here for nothing other than to LOOT and up till today,they are still looting us.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by seanet02: 4:42pm On Dec 22, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Are you ok ? Which war are you talking about ?
Those guys came here for nothing other than to LOOT and up till today,they are still looting us.
Seconded
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Pain(m): 4:47pm On Dec 22, 2010
The Mask

Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:55pm On Dec 22, 2010
@ELRazur
Please spare me abeg, this is a blatant case of total disrespect to the Nigerian government and people. I am just venting brother it is totally annoying to see this people take what was ours and do it like this. Seriously where on earth was stealing allowed? I do not want to go into the whole long story how they have treated us this badly then now they would be complaining about con artists. Correcting the injustice of the past is not such a bad idea.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by olabukola: 5:04pm On Dec 22, 2010
So Nigerians can be this United. If you have this kinda Unity among ourselves back home we will be far more developed than UK.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 5:09pm On Dec 22, 2010
i also know tonnes of sick nigerians in britain with all kids of permanent diseases like sickle cell who are being permanently taken care off by the british govt. they get housing benefit for life, sick benefit, council tax benefit and all kinds of money and they also get free cars. they can go into the hospital anytime for free when their symptoms occur.

i also know many depressed nigerians in london who have being on housing benefit and giro for over a decade.

my point being the UK is like robin hood. they steal from the rich and give to the poor.

if i had a choice ? a rich man who has money and keeps it for his lavish lifestyle to the detriment of the populace, or a thief who goes and steals the wealth of the rich man and is generous with it and helps EVERYBODY out. which will you choose ?

And dont tell me about pride and nationality either because i am one of the few people in this forum who will support naija to death when others are castigating. but on this one issue ? and as a recipient of the generosity of the UK, i have to say, Bleep naija. naija dont need that mask. what do they need it for ? we dont have museums grin grin bring on the abuse. cheesy
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by olabukola: 5:18pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^ That is to say Yahoo boys are right to steal/con the white to feed their hungary relative and families.
From your analogy, Poor britain stole from rich nigeria to feed poor nigerians in UK. How much have they stole from Richard Branson and the royal family. Instead they(collect from the poor) give the royal family which is by far the richest family in UK.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 22, 2010
outside requesting for a split of the sales proceed,Nigeria has no business in chasing that shadow for now. Nigeria does not lack artifacts (there are very many across villages and towns nationwide) but lack the will to appreciate them.

presently our focus should be fighting corruption,and building infastructure. Am quit optimistic that our generations unborn will learn from our woes and do the right thing at the right time if and only if we lay the right foundation(education and infastructure)
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Dec 22, 2010
olabukola:

So Nigerians can be this United. If you have this kinda Unity among ourselves back home we will be far more developed than UK.

What you think is Unity is actually something else. if you notice, the vast majority are doing this out of some deep-seated anger against/hate for the British. You can sort of tell by the many dumb calls for nigerians youths to continue seating and living as criminals in OUR OWN society(Increase the Nigerian population of Criminals) to  spite/get back at the british. lol
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by sochan: 6:15pm On Dec 22, 2010
buzugee  makes some very valid points, although I am not quite sure I am with him on stealing from others.

That said, this same thing happend about a month ago, when a Chinese vase was sold for about £17M, with the same sort of history, it had been stolen from a chinese palace years ago when the British over-ran the palaces. however this time around it was bought by a chinese collector, and one would imagine to bring it back to China.

I do believe that at some stage we should be demanding that national treasures stolen should be brought back, but not until we have put our house in order.

has anyone here been to see the Car Murtala was killed in? Well it is a a shabby state at the national museum Onikan. i saw it about 3yrs ago and could not believe that an item like this which had so much significance in our history can be left to rot away
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On Dec 22, 2010
sochan:

buzugee  makes some very valid points, although I am not quite sure I am with him on stealing from others.

That said, this same thing happend about a month ago, when a Chinese vase was sold for about £17M, with the same sort of history, it had been stolen from a chinese palace years ago when the British over-ran the palaces. however this time around [size=13pt]it was bought by a chinese collector[/size], and one would imagine to bring it back to China.

The man bought the vase!
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 6:19pm On Dec 22, 2010
olabukola:

^^ That is to say Yahoo boys are right to steal/con the white to feed their hungary relative and families.
From your analogy, Poor britain stole from rich nigeria to feed poor nigerians in UK. How much have they stole from Richard Branson and the royal family. Instead they(collect from the poor) give the royal family which is by far the richest family in UK.
your analogy makes no sense. and besides i hate 'selective patriots'. either you love nigeria with all its faults or you hate nigeria including its faults. all of you are on this site everyday banging on about how nigeria is the crappiest country in the world and how you would never ever return there. some of you say you will rather be in a homeless shelter in america than live in nigeria. so why the selective patriotism ? why are you angry that britain is holding onto something of a country that you hate so much ? fork outta ere. yall aint ready yet.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by hilli666(m): 6:52pm On Dec 22, 2010
Interesting! So of all the billions of Niara our cleptomaniac leaders have looted. Not one of them can shell out the money to buy this artifact and return it back to its rightfull home?? Maybe the west would like to come and view it in Nigerias museum and hence improve tourism hence more money for the economy. Wow!!
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Vacora(m): 7:08pm On Dec 22, 2010
Oyibo dey play with fire. Looting is theft - a criminal offence. They had better return the Benin Mask or else dem go find out say the curse of Tutankhamun is nothing compared to Juju grin
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by OchiAgha2(m): 7:12pm On Dec 22, 2010
Maybe there is unity through hatred. This is what I am noticing from this thread. Nigerian can be united against a common foe. And that foe to many in this thread is the West and the British to be more exact. Now I know the secret to unleash Nigeria's true potential. Demonize the British and you will gain Nigerian nationalism.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:22pm On Dec 22, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Maybe there is unity through hatred. This is what I am noticing from this thread. Nigerian can be united against a common foe. And that foe to many in this thread is the West and the British to be more exact. Now I know the secret to unleash Nigeria's true potential. Demonize the British and you will gain Nigerian nationalism.
yeah right. if you offered those who consider britain a foe, visa to go and live permanently in england i can bet you they will be trampling all over each other to get to the airport faster than usain bolt can run.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by OchiAgha2(m): 7:28pm On Dec 22, 2010
buzugee:

yeah right. if you offered those who consider britain a foe, visa to go and live permanently in england i can bet you they will be trampling all over each other to get to the airport faster than usain bolt can run.

There is no better way to unite a people for a common cause than to have someone as a scapegoat. A clear illustration of this is how Hitler demonized the Jews prior to the outbreak of WWI as well as demonizing the ally powers who defeated Germany in WWI. He was able to get the people on his side very easily. Or you can have a common foe as well. Americans were very unified after 9/11.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

There is no better way to unite a people for a common cause than to have someone as a scapegoat. A clear illustration of this is how Hitler demonized the Jews prior to the outbreak of WWI as well as demonizing the ally powers who defeated Germany in WWI. He was able to get the people on his side very easily. Or you can have a common foe as well. Americans were very unified after 9/11.
'fleeting and transient patriotism' is hardly patriotism. a couple of months after 9 11 the white americans were back to denigrating their fellow black and arab americans. patriotism is instilled, it is not affiliated.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by OchiAgha2(m): 7:40pm On Dec 22, 2010
buzugee:

'fleeting and transient patriotism' is hardly patriotism. a couple of months after 9 11 the white americans were back to denigrating their fellow black and arab americans.

Not true. Arab Americans were facing hostility, but not Black Americans. Blacks in the U.S. we actually giving off a sigh of relief. I remember it quite vividly. Police were not looking out for blacks, they were looking at Arabs or anyone who looked Arab. That is still the same today. Go to any airport, and watch how Americans in general view Arabs. They get a little uneasy.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by UNLEASHED(m): 7:41pm On Dec 22, 2010
It's a pity
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:44pm On Dec 22, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Not true. Arab Americans were facing hostility, but not Black Americans. Blacks in the U.S. we actually giving off a sigh of relief. I remember it quite vividly. Police were not looking out for blacks, they were looking at Arabs or anyone who looked Arab. That is still the same today. Go to any airport, and watch how Americans in general view Arabs. They get a little uneasy.
maybe in new york but in other parts of america they were still catching hell. matter fact in chicago anything not white was considered a terrorist. folks were getting stomped and stripped butt nekkid. the terrorism thing became used as another excuse to whoop black folks butt.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:47pm On Dec 22, 2010
after obama got elected too, there was unity amongst all right ? well on that night in chicago the police drove around and whooped every black person they saw celebrating on the streets. they pepper sprayed a 2 year old in the eyes. about 52 cases of brutality against blacks was recorded on the night barrack won, by white cops
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by OchiAgha2(m): 7:49pm On Dec 22, 2010
buzugee:

maybe in new york but in other parts of america they were still catching hell. matter fact in chicago anything not white was considered a terrorist. folks were getting stomped and stripped butt nekkid.

Well I can only speak of my area which is DC, Maryland & Virginia (DMV) and it was quite the contrary. Blacks and whites were united during 9/11. Every American was horrified, because this is the first time something like this ever happened in the U.S. Many Americans were united. Some of my cousins actually joined the military due to 9/11 out of patriotism for America.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Kobojunkie: 7:50pm On Dec 22, 2010
buzugee:

after obama got elected too, there was unity amongst all right ? well on that night in chicago the police drove around and whooped every black person they saw celebrating on the streets. they pepper sprayed a 2 year old in the eyes. about 52 cases of brutality against blacks was recorded on the night barrack won, by white cops

I can confirm the above story to be a lie, a huge one! All of Chicago stayed away way through the night and most of the south and west were quiet except for people jubiliating
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by OchiAgha2(m): 7:51pm On Dec 22, 2010
buzugee:

I don't know if this is true, but we all know Chicago has race problems. Just as bad as LA and Boston. Funny enough how these cities are found in Democratic strongholds. Especially Boston and Chicago. Everyone in Baltimore and DC was celebrating including myself and we did not have to worry about police officers. People were celebrating in the streets. It depends on where you live I guess. I even heard people were celebrating in Atlanta and Houston. The heart of the south.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Beaf: 7:53pm On Dec 22, 2010
It is left for us to seriously develop, so one day we can sieze and auction Big Ben and Nelsons column to African business men and women.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:54pm On Dec 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I can confirm the above story to be a lie, a huge one!
http://www.chicagoinjuryattorneyblog.com/2008/11/third_lawsuit_accuses_chicago_1.html
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

I don't know if this is true, but we all know Chicago has race problems. Just as bad as LA and Boston. Funny enough how these cities are found in Democratic strongholds. Especially Boston and Chicago. Everyone in Baltimore and DC was celebrating including myself and we did not have to worry about police officers. People were celebrating in the streets. It depends on where you live I guess. I even heard people were celebrating in Atlanta and Houston. The heart of the south.
is definitely true. i know someone personally handling about 50 of the cases of brutality for that night.
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:57pm On Dec 22, 2010
Beaf:

It is left for us to seriously develop, so one day we can sieze and auction Big Ben and Nelsons column to African business men and women.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by buzugee(m): 7:59pm On Dec 22, 2010
kobojunkie always taking a stand on issues she or he, know nothing about  grin

http://www.chicagoinjuryattorneyblog.com/2008/11/third_lawsuit_accuses_chicago_1.html
Re: Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Dec 22, 2010
22 people files
buzugee:

Here is the problem with claiming racism -- did you bother to read the rest on this case or are you just quick to declare that anyone who files a case is RIGHT.  I mean this is Chicago file lawsuits willy nilly --just some weeks ago, a druggie filed a claim that his right was breached. I bet you would come on here to state that because he claims racism, he is right, right?

Also, where are the other 30 you mentioned?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Negritos(small NEGROS) Found As Natives In Asia / which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) / Osole Owo Tutu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.