Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,352 members, 7,957,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:44 AM

Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly (5132 Views)

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / The Origin Of Iyawo (yoruba Word For Wife) / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly by nlPoster: 11:12pm On Mar 11, 2020
It used to be more common in Lagos, it might be common elsewhere as well.

Eggplant is not Efo Igbo because it's also a Yoruba food.

Eggplant is Igba. Perhaps some parts call it Efo Igbo (now that you mention it) but I believe ugwu/ugu is also known as the same.
Re: Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly by nlPoster: 11:16pm On Mar 11, 2020
And eggplant is commonly used in Yoruba cuisine. .
Re: Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly by agadez007(m): 9:04pm On Mar 12, 2020
nlPoster:
This is African pear

I think it's taken either raw or cooked, in the southwest.
This is not popular In the southwest,I don't think I have seen the tree anywhere in yoruba(I might be wrong though)
ube is the igbo name and i dont think I have heard the yoruba name before
Re: Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly by theowaylex(m): 3:36am On Jun 03, 2022
Ugwu is ewé ìròkó
Re: Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly by ShedrachU(m): 3:18pm On Jun 03, 2022
nlPoster:

The correct spelling is Ugwu in my opinion, it probably became Ugu after Nigeria started shipping the leaf to the US.

I remember that made news some years ago.

Wrong.

Ugwu means 'hill' that's my surname.
The vegetable is spelt 'ugu' and have a different pronunciation from 'ugwu'
Re: Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly by shantti(m): 9:57pm On Jun 04, 2022
ShedrachU:

Wrong.

Ugwu means 'hill' that's my surname.
The vegetable is spelt 'ugu' and have a different pronunciation from 'ugwu'

I swear, that thing dey pain me. Am tired of correcting Yoruba peeps that it's ugu and not ugwu. Ugwu na my surname

1 Like

Re: Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly by ShedrachU(m): 10:25am On Jun 07, 2022
shantti:

I swear, that thing dey pain me. Am tired of correcting Yoruba peeps that it's ugu and not ugwu. Ugwu na my surname

Ahhh, nnor, nwannne!
That's my surname too wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet The Kambarin, Koma And Jibu Tribes In Nigeria Who Don’t Wear Cloths. / Ogori Mangogo Ovia Osese Festival / Coming Of Islam To Hausaland By Trade Not Jihad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.