Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri (2228 Views)

APC Crisis: Northern Leaders Move To Cut Tinubu To Size / No Gains For Almajiri Schools’ Graduates – Fashola / Ogun Poised To Overtake Lagos In Development! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:17pm On Dec 22, 2010
THE issue of Almajiri, a Hausa word meaning immigrant children in search of Qu’ranic education, has become a source of worry to the northern leaders who have, belatedly though, realised the immense socio-economic and political problems inherent in it.

The children are sent out early in life to seek Islamic knowledge outside their environment. They are placed under Islamic teachers known simply as Mallams under whom they are supposed to learn the rudiments of the religion.

In most cases, and due to the high level of poverty and the large number of children the Mallams have to cater for, they are often not able to take adequate care of the children; thus, they are sent out to search for their livelihood.

However, most of the boys who form the bulk of the Almajiri are not without dreams of their own. Some of them have the vision of becoming engineers, doctors, and pilots and so on. Unfortunately, greater percentage of these dreams or visions always become ineffectual, because the necessary socio-economic conditions that could make the dream become realiseable are lacking. Therefore, these boys resign to fate as they can not ameliorate there socio-economic situations.

One of such boys is Idris Mohammed who, along with thousands of his likes in the northern part of the country do not have the ability to become productive and acceptable members of their various communities because they do not have the opportunity of going to the conventional school or combining Qu’ranic education with western one just as the children of the rich. Due to lack of empowerment which education imbues on an individual, and as a result of lack of refined lifestyle, they take to crummy lifestyle and become societal deviants.

As a result of their way of life, they terrorise unsuspecting motorists, passers-by and even residents of Kaduna metropolis and its environs as a means of eking out a living.

Some of them take the risk of crossing the roads without caution in a bid to beg for arms. They stay out late in the night and in the chilling cold.

At the age of six, Yusuf Haruna walks the streets of Kaduna as one of the urchins against his will. His dream in life has been to become an engineer when he grows up. But that dream has become a mirage; more so when he does not know where his parents are?

The case of a 10-year-old Usman Sani, who said he wished to be a soldier to fight for his country, is different. He knows where his parents are, even though he claimed that his parents had refused to send him to school to enable him to acquire western education.

He said: "My parents refused to enroll me in a conventional school. Instead, they sent me all the way from Kano to Kaduna to acquire Qu’ranic education."

Sani has the interest to attend a conventional school. That may not be easily feasible since, he said, he would need to obtain the permission of his Islamic teacher first. This is the story of millions of Nigerian children of northern origin who roam the streets everyday with a plate in hand begging for what to eat instead of being in school.

Newsextra

learnt that about five million out of the over 9.5 million children who are forced to become Almajiri in the country are from the north-western part of the country comprising states like Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Katsina, Kano, Jigawa and Kaduna states that lay much emphasis on Qu’ranic education in a bid to make their children committed Muslims.
Incidentally, this same region has produced most of the country’s leaders but accounts for the highest number of Almajiri in the country. For instance, the late Murtala Mohammed (Kano), Shehu Aliyu Shagari (Sokoto), Mohammadu Buhari (Katsina), Sani Abacha (Kano) and Umaru Musa Yar’Adua (Katsina) have presided over the affairs of the country since independence.

Amusingly, 9.5 million of the Almajiri in the country, according to Vice-President Namadi Sambo, are located in the north which has produced majority of the country’s leaders.

Investigations revealed that, apart from the late Gen. Hassan Katsina who fought hard to ensure that the Almajiri issue in the north was addressed; none of the other leaders from the region initiated any favourable policies to address or seek solution to the social problem.

Just recently, Vice-President Mohammed Namadi Sambo announced that the Federal Government was planning to build 100 schools across the country to cater for the education of these Almajiri who are scattered across the country.

According to him, 31 of such schools are to be established by government before the end of March, 2011 and 100 schools by the end of September 2011. What this translates into is that government will be establishing a single school for 60,000 children.

Many believe that this is just one of the political statements that Nigerian politicians are known for, even as it questions the possibility of one school accommodating 60,000 children when an institution like the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria which is the largest university in the country has a student population of about 40,000 yet still the space is not adequate and conducive enough teaching and learning.

The Vice-President disclosed this while launching a new educational policy to integrate the traditional Tsangaya schools into the conventional educational system.

The Vice-President said: "I can state without any equivocation that the resolve of this government to sustain this initiative is not only strong, but also forward-looking…" Ironically, children under the age of 15 years who are engaged in this practice are mainly from the Muslim-dominated part of the country.

Islamic scholars have argued that it is against the Islamic religion to put children through such hardship. It was gathered that when the former governor of the old Northern-Western Region, the late Maj. Gen. Hassan Usman Katsina was alive, he relentlessly waged war against the menace, even though he did not achieve much.

Fascinatingly, these children who form the bulk of the Almajiri that roam the streets of northern Nigeria are not in schools even though they are children of school age. It is also believed that parents of these children prefer sending them to Islamic teachers (Mallams), who are almost strangers to them.

However, the youth have often become machineries in the hands of religious zealots as they are often used in burning down places of worship during violence in the north, a situation that has been of great concern to present day leaders in the region.

The street urchins are always ready tools during sectarian crises instigated by elements that benefit from situations of crisis. They are used to destroy places of worship, lives and property. As a result of their way of life, many dread as well as loath seeing them.

The patterns of operation of these boys do catch unawares, as they wonder how they survive the harsh conditions of the weather to which they are exposed on daily basis.

Looking well above their ages, filthy and unkempt, they meander in-between moving vehicles begging for arms and, in most cases, they stay out in the chilling cold till late in the evening searching for what to eat. Newsextra gathered that any money made by them goes to the Mallams under whose custody they are supposed to learn the Quaran while they are free to eat whatever cooked food they get while they are out on the streets.

On a daily basis, they moved from street to street, house to house in clusters and with bowls in hands singing and begging for arms. Sometimes, they become complete nuisance to the public because of lack of hygiene. After what seems to be a daily routine, they make returns to their Mallams (Islamic teachers).

Leaders of the region are beginning to express concern over the rising cases of child beggars and this has compelled the elite and Islamic leaders to look inwards on how to find a lasting solution to a system that has refused to die.

Even though the governors of the region have constantly expressed disgust over the menace and bad image it creates for the region, many believe that no concrete step has been taken by them to find a lasting solution to the incidence.

The Kaduna State government appears to be the only government in the region that has taken some steps to address the issue and ensure that the children get some form of western education. During the Makarfi regime, a school was established for them under the pet project of his wife. While he presided over the affairs of Kaduna, Vice-President Sambo told the world that the state government was building a boarding primary school for the children in Zaria.

As at the time of this report, the school which was supposed to have taken off in September, 2009 was yet to take off. He had said then that his administration was concerned about the rising cases of Almajiri in the state and would embark on a pilot project that would take the immigrant children off the streets.

According to him, the state will integrate western education with that of the traditional Qu’ranic study by the Almajiri which we believe is the only antidote to finding a lasting solution to the menace of the Almajiri in the Northern part of the country.

He said: "What we have decided is that we have to take those children out of the streets. We will construct boarding primary schools." But the decision came under serious criticism from Islamic scholars who believed that the project was just one of the political gimmicks of government. They believed that most of the children go out cap-in-hand because of the high poverty rate in the region, stressing that if government at all levels were never paid lip service to the issue, there would be no cause for cause to worry over the matter, as "parents would have adopted the old traditional way of assisting the Almajiri by contributing to the upkeep of their lads."

In an interview earlier in the year, the Executive Chairman of Kaduna State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Dr. Bashir Balarabe, was quoted as saying that the introduction of the boarding school for the Almajiri was aimed at integrating them into the UBE scheme, adding that about one quarter of the total children in Kaduna State are Almajiri who roam the streets.

He said: "This is very important because the Universal Basic Education programme is aimed at ensuring that each school-age children get access to basic education. The number of Almajiri is very large. About one quarter of the total population of our children in Kaduna State are Almajiri and are roaming the streets. They may not be our children. They may be children from other states because Kaduna is A very central place, being the capital of the north. You find many of them coming from other states to settle here. The name of the school is By Lingual Boarding Primary School for Almajiri. "So, if a large segment of the children we have in the society are not actually captured in the UBE, then it is not actually achieving the desired result. It has to be at least 90 per cent to achieve its aim. So, if that chunk of children is out of the UBE programme, then something is wrong.

"That is why the government is establishing the boarding primary school in order to capture the Almajiri. They will learn the Islamic or Qur’an recitation and also the western form of education because teachers and instructional materials will be provided for their use."

Available reports have it that the Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Sa’ad Abubakar III is not happy with the development and has expressed grave reservation on the Almajiri system, even as he urged governments at all levels in the region to partner with Islamic organisations to halt the menace.

The Sultan is said to have suggested a five-year action plan to rehabilitate, reposition and expand the coverage of schools under the management of the Jama’atul Nasril Islam (JNI). He was also quoted as saying that "the other area which calls for our attention in the education sector is facilitating the emergence of an integrated educational school system which accords our children the requisite Islamic knowledge as well as a descent conventional education."

Chairman of the Northern Governors’ Forum and Governor of Niger State, Dr. Babangida Aliyu does not believe that the practice should be associated with Islam and has therefore disparaged the practice.

Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting on health in Kaduna last year, the Chief Servant of Niger State said: "I challenge anybody who tells me that some of the things that we do are religious. No! We use religion to cover certain cultural practices."

He was quick to link the practice with the low level of development in the north, even as he accused political leaders from the region of being responsible for the under-developed state of the North. While expressing regrets that despite northern leaders having the opportunities to develop their region while occupying political positions at the federal level for several years, they failed to use such advantages, particularly in the areas of ensuring that nobody begs in the region in the name of religion. "However, we must realise that all of us in leadership positions must have integrity, character, the boldness and courage to be able to make significant and positive impact on the lives of our people. We believe that the attitude of some parents in our states is tantamount to a breach of the fundamental human rights of our children."

Speaking in during another forum organised by the Niger State community at the Ahmadu Bello University last year, Aliyu said the time has come when the north must discourage the system, pointing out that the people of the north must do away with the issue of begging in the name of religion. He added that "we need to discourage the ‘ranka ya dade’ syndrome which abuses and dehumanises the people by offering them stipends out of the often stolen public wealth. It also encourages laziness while some of us go about in arrogance."

He disclosed that an average poverty rate of 71 per cent exists in the region, stressing that "we need to address the embarrassing Almajiri phenomenon in our states; we need to question what appears as the Islamisation of poverty.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:21pm On Dec 22, 2010
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2010
Now I'm beginning to see the light of hope for Nigeria.

So how do they wish to tackle them?

9.5 million of the Almajiri in the country,

Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2010
i think they should start by providing a form of government estate for them

then give there parent jobs eg, factory worker were unskilled labour is needed

and there children free education.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2010
alj harem1:

i think they should start by providing a form of government estate for them

then give there parent jobs eg, factory worker were unskilled labour is needed

and there children free education.

That easy?

Free education?
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by udezue(m): 9:32pm On Dec 22, 2010
Smh
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:34pm On Dec 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

That easy?

Free education?

no, it is not that easy, but if awolowo could do it with limited funds back then, then i believe now that nigeria is richer, they should be able to afford it.

only if this our northern leaders are serious about it
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2010
udezue:

Smh

udezue, do u have any solution to the problem undecided
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by jaygetta(m): 9:36pm On Dec 22, 2010
So, Alh. Harem do I so I now give u $10 sa'arah for providing me with this hopeless long story that I no fit read pas 2mins sef? Oh, u aint begging for alms! Sorry, o, oga me. I been think say as u sef come from Almajiri empire say u dey take style toro bara from we. . . . Again, oga me no vex o! Lol
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by udezue(m): 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2010
My solution is for them to form their own country.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2010
jaygetta:

So, Alh. Harem do I so I now give u $10 sa'arah for providing me with this hopeless long story that I no fit read pas 2mins sef? Oh, u aint begging for alms! Sorry, o, oga me. I been think say as u sef come from Almajiri empire say u dey take style toro bara from we. . . . Again, oga me no vex o! Lol
lol, i no vex

but try read the story
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2010
udezue:

My solution is for them to form their own country.

but forming our country would not solve the problem

it would only mean, they are transported from nigeria to arewa republic,,,,,but the problem is still there undecided

i think u should forget the formation of countries undecided
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by udezue(m): 9:47pm On Dec 22, 2010
Once they form their Arewa country then there will be nothing for me to worry about.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2010
udezue:

Once they form their Arewa country then there will be nothing for me to worry about.

sorry udezue, but that is for you,,,,,what about them,the children hungry day and night

udezue this people, are they not human being just like u, don't they deserve to live the life you are living undecided
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by udezue(m): 10:07pm On Dec 22, 2010
They are humans but their issues are not ours.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by justise: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2010
Lets Kill them all

Very useless people!

Simple and cost effective!
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 10:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
justise:

Lets Kill them all

Very useless people!

Simple and cost effective!

angry angry angry angry angry angry

and why would you what to kill them angry
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by justise: 10:41pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^^

Tell me one good thing about them?
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 10:46pm On Dec 22, 2010
justise:

^^^

there are human just like you

let even say they are not productive for now, wouldn't they be productive if they are trained to do so

we can even use them for cheap labour and give them the basic things a man needs to survive
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by jason123: 10:46pm On Dec 22, 2010
justise:

^^^

justise, LOOK, if you are yoruba, you would know that we have more ties with them that ibos. the era of military coups was started by these same ibos if not nigeria would have been good today. we cannot use the military coups to justify them. infact, they have had no elected president and the military coups were done by the greedy northern officers. you also have to remember that yoruba officers too did their own coup. Lets support them, not chastice them. i would take these people anyday than the ibos. infact, my brother is married to an hausa lady and her brother is in the army. we need to embrace these people and the SS more than the ibos!!!
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by Rhino5dm: 11:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
Election is around the corner the so called northern leader are just looking for opportuinity to cash in and deceive the gullible masses and draw up support from religious nutjobs in the name of eradicating Almajiri system.

The most disturbing part of all these is how you will find more than 300 innocent childrem pack in a single room like sardine.

Dont even ask about their hygein and well being.

No single holistic solution to this menace from the cult of a leaders. They will be giving lip services and making blank unfulfill promise.

No until all the existing islamic schools are fully integrated with western education system and holistic policies are put in place to support system, no meaningful development will be achieved. Instead more breed of potential fanatics capable of over reacting on a simple civil matter and ending up destroying wantom lives and properties.

Blue print should be created and realistically implimented. But rather year in year out only empty promises and lip services from these so called reetards.

laws should be passed with strict and high gravity on anyone sending his child to this wild adventure.

And who told them that they cannot learn under the roof of thier parents? The most unfortunate thing is how those scum loon constitute nuisance and choas at a slight provacation. And keep on begging from street corner to corner.

They all need to care for, and so called mallams involving in this horrible acts should be punished.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by chyz(m): 11:47pm On Dec 22, 2010
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 11:53pm On Dec 22, 2010
Rhino.5dm:

Election is around the corner the so called northern leader are just looking for opportuinity to cash in and deceive the gullible masses and draw up support from religious nutjobs in the name of eradicating Almajiri system.

The most disturbing part of all these is how you will find more than 300 innocent childrem pack in a single room like sardine.

Dont even ask about their hygein and well being.

No single holistic solution to this menace from the cult of a leaders. They will be giving lip services and making blank unfulfill promise.

No until all the existing islamic schools are fully integrated with western education system and holistic policies are put in place to support system, no meaningful development will be achieved. Instead more breed of potential fanatics capable of over reacting on a simple civil matter and ending up destroying wantom lives and properties.

Blue print should be created and realistically implimented. But rather year in year out only empty promises and lip services from these so called reetards.

laws should be passed with strict and high gravity on anyone sending his child to this wild adventure.

And who told them that they cannot learn under the roof of thier parents? The most unfortunate thing is how those scum loon constitute nuisance and choas at a slight provacation. And keep on begging from street corner to corner.

They all need to care for, and so called mallams involving in this horrible acts should be punished.

thank you i am glad you noticed the way our leaders are lying

God help us all
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 11:54pm On Dec 22, 2010
chyz:

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKGFjQHGAyY&feature=related[/flash]

thank chyz for the video, i have to tell you that is the reality in northern nigeria

shame cry cry
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by omongbatl: 2:01am On Dec 23, 2010
Whwn will they tackle southern almajiri in the SW. IT HAS TO BE A WHOLISTIC EFFORT, NO?
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by OchiAgha2(m): 2:03am On Dec 23, 2010
omongbatl:

Whwn will they tackle southern almajiri in the SW. IT HAS TO BE A WHOLISTIC EFFORT, NO?

There is a ceasefire in effect. Cease all postings that are tribal in nature. Thank you very much.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by justise: 2:05am On Dec 23, 2010
omongbatl:

Including those dirty spare part dealers littering up the whole SW?

Bravo! Bravo! Beavo!
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by aljharem11(m): 2:11am On Dec 23, 2010
justise:

Bravo! Bravo! Beavo!

stop it pls,,,,,,, now lets try to resolve the issue
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by omongbatl: 2:19am On Dec 23, 2010
justise:

Bravo! Bravo! Beavo!

Spare parts dealers pay tax. Almajiris beg for alms.
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by justise: 2:21am On Dec 23, 2010
^^^

The ones I know dont even speak English, let alone know what the phucc Tax is

What they do is beg for money food during the day, then under the cover of darkness, steal and intimidate their host, the Yorubas!
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by omongbatl: 2:25am On Dec 23, 2010
justise:

^^^

The ones I know dont even speak English, let alone know what the phucc Tax is

What they do is beg for money food during the day, then under the cover of darkness, steal and intimidate their host, the Yorubas!

MUMU, do you need to speak english to pay tax? PIDGIN IS ENOUGH

The ones who beg must not be Igbos. We dont do almajiri in igboland. Must be your half brothers
Re: Northern Leaders Poised To Tackle Almajiri by chyz(m): 2:26am On Dec 23, 2010
Has anyone been to lagos lately? Has fashola completely moved them or have they come back?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Scoan Building Collapse Was An Attack / Between Akinwunmi Ambode And Jimi Agbaje Who Is A Better Leader? / Rochas Rigging Imo State Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.