Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,053 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications (25994 Views)

Obi Increases Lecturers' Pay To More Than Dep Governor's, ASUU Rejects It (2010) / 2023: Ohanaeze Rejects Atiku’s Single Term Proposal, Vice Presidential Slot / Ohanaeze Rejects Request To Takeover Ebubeagu Security Outfit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:28am On Mar 16, 2020
Ohanaeze Youth Council(OYC), the apex Igbo socio-cultural youth body, has described the newly introduced Armed Forces Bill in the National Assembly as an invitation of coup d’etat against civilian Presidents.

The Igbo group cautioned members of the National Assembly on the implications of the proposed Armed Forces Bill by the Senate if passed into law.

Ohanaeze Youth opined that the bill, if allowed to stand, would truncat Nigeria democracy as the contents of the proposed legislation seeks to wrest the sacred Powers and authority conferred on the President and Commander in Chief of Armed Forces by 1999 Constitution Section 217 and 218 for the Composition, Appointment and termination of service Chiefs of Armed Forces of Nigeria by vesting it in a Commission which can be Manipulative in on a rogue collaboration with enemies of Democracy to Overthrow a Civilian President.

DAILY POST learnt that the Armed Forces Bill sponsored by Senator Enyinnaya Harcourt Abaribe, seeks to address presumed lopsided appointment of heads of Security Agencies in the Country,

However, a statement forwarded to DAILY POST on Sunday by the President General(OYC), Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro and Secretary-General, Okwu Nnabuike, queried why such sensitive bill empowers a commission to recommend to the President whoever they feel is qualified for appointment as Service Chief and Head of Security agencies in Nigeria without Mr President’s input if it’s not for sinister motives and nefarious activities of the sponsors.

The group further added in the release, “OYC condemns vehemently such Armed Forces Bill, as it is an abuse of legislative powers, traduces military Tradition. Political Musketeers will arm-twist unlawfully a sitting Civilian President if Senate passes it into law. Such powers to make appointment of Service Chiefs will be bestowed on non-elective persons, who might use it for anti-democratic motives to hold the Presidency at ransom against the collective interests of Nigerians.

“OYC wants the National Assembly to know that the Igbos are not in support of any action that might jeopardize the Presidential System of Government which Igbos stand to benefit in 2023. We disassociate ourselves from the proposed Armed Forces Bill and urge the National Assembly that such reckless bill would not be supported by the Igbos as it is dead on arrival”.

source: https://dailypost.ng/2020/03/15/ohanaeze-rejects-abaribes-armed-force-bill-warns-n-assembly-on-implications/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by godkiller(m): 12:40am On Mar 16, 2020
It will still work together for our good!

Nna mehnnnnn! cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 16, 2020
Well, Abaribe is intelligent and like the only Senator from Southeast. But I agree with Ohaneze Youth Council on this.

If any commission is established, officers of the armed forces will start lobbying for recommendation which would in turn breed a new kind of corruption all together.

Again, it tends to take control away from the president who is the chief security officer. The President should be allowed to appoint those he feels can best deliver on his security masterplan so that if they fail, we blame him for it.

What Abaribe should have put in his bill would have been to compel the President to make his security appointments in such a way that every region of the country is represented. I don't think any region of this country is in dearth of security experts.

Also, every personnel whose tenure has ended should be retired unlike this brutish exercise of presidential prerogative on our present expired service chiefs.

We can make this country work for us.

Nigeria can work.

But we must put such frameworks such that no ethnic bigot like Buhari will ever exclude any region in governance process.

Nigeria should adopt rotational democracy because of our diversity. Let's get these things enshrined in our constitution and be done with politics of survival of the fittest.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by DenreleDave(m): 1:59am On Mar 16, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
Ohanaeze Youth Council(OYC), the apex Igbo socio-cultural youth body, has described the newly introduced Armed Forces Bill in the National Assembly as an invitation of coup d’etat against civilian Presidents.

The Igbo group cautioned members of the National Assembly on the implications of the proposed Armed Forces Bill by the Senate if passed into law.

Ohanaeze Youth opined that the bill, if allowed to stand, would truncat Nigeria democracy as the contents of the proposed legislation seeks to wrest the sacred Powers and authority conferred on the President and Commander in Chief of Armed Forces by 1999 Constitution Section 217 and 218 for the Composition, Appointment and termination of service Chiefs of Armed Forces of Nigeria by vesting it in a Commission which can be Manipulative in on a rogue collaboration with enemies of Democracy to Overthrow a Civilian President.

DAILY POST learnt that the Armed Forces Bill sponsored by Senator Enyinnaya Harcourt Abaribe, seeks to address presumed lopsided appointment of heads of Security Agencies in the Country,

However, a statement forwarded to DAILY POST on Sunday by the President General(OYC), Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro and Secretary-General, Okwu Nnabuike, queried why such sensitive bill empowers a commission to recommend to the President whoever they feel is qualified for appointment as Service Chief and Head of Security agencies in Nigeria without Mr President’s input if it’s not for sinister motives and nefarious activities of the sponsors.

The group further added in the release, “OYC condemns vehemently such Armed Forces Bill, as it is an abuse of legislative powers, traduces military Tradition. Political Musketeers will arm-twist unlawfully a sitting Civilian President if Senate passes it into law. Such powers to make appointment of Service Chiefs will be bestowed on non-elective persons, who might use it for anti-democratic motives to hold the Presidency at ransom against the collective interests of Nigerians.

“OYC wants the National Assembly to know that the Igbos are not in support of any action that might jeopardize the Presidential System of Government which Igbos stand to benefit in 2023. We disassociate ourselves from the proposed Armed Forces Bill and urge the National Assembly that such reckless bill would not be supported by the Igbos as it is dead on arrival”.

source: https://dailypost.ng/2020/03/15/ohanaeze-rejects-abaribes-armed-force-bill-warns-n-assembly-on-implications/

Ok

Experts pls come in and render your advise
Any hope for bitcoin guys..
Do you think one should buy now that it's 5300 dollars or one shud still wait till it falls to 4k dollars?
Your suggestions pls bcox i wud love to invest my one month allawee.
Shud I buy now or wait till it falls?
Is the any hope that bitcoin will rise back to what it was in early February?
Pls kinmdy explain if bitcoin will rise again and is it good to be bullish now?

2 Likes

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Sweeetheart(m): 5:32am On Mar 16, 2020
Awol1:
Well, Abaribe is intelligent and like the only Senator from Southeast. But I agree with Ohaneze Youth Council on this.

If any commission is established, officers of the armed forces will start lobbying for recommendation which would in turn breed a new kind of corruption all together.

Again, it tends to take control away from the president who is the chief security officer. The President should be allowed to appoint those he feels can best deliver on his security masterplan so that if they fail, we blame him for it.

What Abaribe should have put in his bill would have been to compel the President to make his security appointments in such a way that every region of the country is represented. I don't think any region of this country is in dearth of security experts.

Also, every personnel whose tenure has ended should be retired unlike this brutish exercise of presidential prerogative on our present expired service chiefs.

Nigeria can work.

But we must put such frameworks such that no ethnic bigot like Buhari will ever exclude any region in governance process.

Nigeria should adopt rotational democracy because of our diversity. Let's get these things enshrined in our constitution and be done with politics of survival of the fittest.

I concur

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by dignity33: 5:59am On Mar 16, 2020
FAKE NEWS FROM AREWA NEWSPAPER.

1 Like

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by nuggarito: 8:16am On Mar 16, 2020
What's the bill all about, pls explain somebody.

2 Likes

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by sapientia(m): 8:18am On Mar 16, 2020
Sabos

1 Like

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by temptnow: 9:06am On Mar 16, 2020
Don't be deceive this is Fake news from Ibadan expressway paper

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Okoroawusa: 9:11am On Mar 16, 2020
Awol1:

Nigeria can work.

See as you spoil your nice write up with a hate for Buhari.

Isi adirokwanugi nma...Okwa idi aware?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 16, 2020
Okoroawusa:

See as you spoil your nice write up with a hate for Buhari.

Isi adirokwanugi nma...Okwa idi aware?

Adirom aware.

Okuko!

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by AfroBeatDiary: 9:33am On Mar 16, 2020
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by FuckThaMod: 9:34am On Mar 16, 2020
But we igbos don't like Nigeria, why should we give a fvck about it's democracy and 2023? Aren't we suppose to focus on only biafra and allow the country to raze down for all we care?

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Melison(m): 9:36am On Mar 16, 2020
Las las nas go do the one wey please them,make everybody for that house go rest abeg,some have been there for decades yet nothing to show for it,
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by MycroftHolmes: 9:37am On Mar 16, 2020
And in the whole report, no quotation of the proposed bill was included?

Which kind backyard journalism be this one? angry

1 Like

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by GeniusWeb: 9:38am On Mar 16, 2020
Na dem sabi
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by NaijaFutbol: 9:38am On Mar 16, 2020

Which Igbo man will base political benefit on 2023 Presidency

I know the Majority of Igbos dont need 2023 presidency. a significant number of them need Biafra (I think they wont be better off in Biafra anyway).

What Nigeria needs is for communities to be more independent from a system that is mixed up with people of different idea of success.

We need to convince other progressive minded individuals, across ethnicity, that we are better off pushing our different ideas of success with minimal restriction in the name of a Federation.

I dont agree with Abaribe. Buhari's lopsided appointments shows the need to restructure the country asap.
Navy and Ports authority will have experts located in port cities hence no need to have a man that never saw water lead the Navy.
Police will be community based and not reporting to a man who has no idea of the terrain. An Igbo man in Abia has no business leading civil defence in Kano where drinking alcohol in the public is a civil offence.

These are the issues Buhari's nepotism has laid bare.

For the Ohaneze youth blablabla.... they are not representing Igbo people.... Any Ohaneze without Nwodo is neither Oha nor Eze

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by NairaMaster1(m): 9:39am On Mar 16, 2020
Awol1:

Nigeria can work.

You think Buratai is not lobbying the cabal to be there? Lobbying is part of democracy.

The igbos are two facets coin. They're the ones complaining marginalisation, here is a bill to address, but their love for money is at it again.

3 Likes

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Niggmatic: 9:39am On Mar 16, 2020
Nonsense
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Authoreety: 9:40am On Mar 16, 2020
How
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by realstars: 9:41am On Mar 16, 2020
Ghost
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by PlugBlogng: 9:42am On Mar 16, 2020
Y'all need to check this Talent out!!!
Impressive!���

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQWo5bpZNb0
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by duffylouise124: 9:42am On Mar 16, 2020
The Bill expressly states that the Commission shall have the powers to recommend to you or whoever is the President those qualified for appointment as Service Chiefs and Heads of other arm-bearing security agencies in Nigeria. Do you know Who Mr. Kamra is? He also thinks about these states. It was written a detailed article about Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill, why it was rejected.

1 Like

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by wilemer: 9:42am On Mar 16, 2020
valentineuwakwe1:

Ohanaeze Youth opined that the bill, if allowed to stand, would truncat Nigeria democracy as the contents of the proposed legislation seeks to wrest the sacred Powers and authority conferred on the President.

i second this. would be dangerous to politicize the military.
but what exactly is the work of the Federal Character Commission if they cant advise the President on lopsided appointments?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by money121(m): 9:43am On Mar 16, 2020
Ok
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by CotenantNIG: 9:44am On Mar 16, 2020
ok

Follow our social media handles to receive updates immediately a room is uploaded on our website

Like cotenant on instagram
https://www.instagram.com/cotenant/

Follow us on twitter
https://twitter.com/cotenantng

Like our facebook page
http://facebook.com/cotenant.ng/

Follow our page on Linkedln
https://www.linkedin.com/company/14850774

Visit our website
https://cotenant.ng/post-a-request/
Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Chuksgeo: 9:46am On Mar 16, 2020
This news needs to be verified properly

1 Like

Re: Abaribe’s Armed Forces Bill: Ohanaeze Rejects It. Warns NASS On Implications by Lilcentt(f): 9:46am On Mar 16, 2020
please I need help from someone here today

I have jamb exam tomorrow morning by 7am and I don't have any money with me. please I need just 1k for transport to and fro the exam center. it is not even up to 1k. I will be grateful if some one can help me on here. I will appreciate it

I am a frequent nairaland user. you can check my profile

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kidnapping: Shehu Sani Advises Living Faith Theological School In Kaduna / Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS / Buhari Wades Into Oshiomhole, Obaseki Feud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.