Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Esusu - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Esusu (3674 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Esusu by jamaicangi(f): 1:53am On Dec 24, 2010
So, I am from the Caribbean and many people from my region participate in something called susu. In Jamaica, we call it "partner" and in some islands they call it "the syndicate" but it is basically the same thing everywhere in the region- a credit organization with a group of friends or acquaintances.

I discovered recently that [b]esusu [/b]is a Nigerian word.

Can you guys tell me more about how this is practiced in Nigeria?

Thanks cool
Re: Esusu by gbking(m): 2:20am On Dec 24, 2010
An esusu is a Yoruba word and it's a traditional African lending association common in West Africa (Where, of course, Nigeria is). Each month members meet to contribute money to a pool. At the meeting, the entire sum is given to a member in good standing. In Jamaica, the rotating credit system is known as “partners”,

Basically it's the exact same thing.
Re: Esusu by udennaa: 9:42am On Dec 24, 2010
Igbos call it isusu,and it is practised as it is in jamaica n other parts of nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Are Brazilian People Black? / Can You Translate 'Messiah' In Your Mother Tongue? / Nsibidi And The Ibibio Civilization Of Arochukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.