Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,979 members, 7,866,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:53 PM

Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected (4777 Views)

Kogi Guber: Audu Will Return The N11bn He Stole If Elected - APC Chairman / Prof. Osinbajo Pledges To God Not To Steal Public Funds If Elected / I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by blacksta(m): 1:05pm On Dec 24, 2010
Beaf:

Shut up, you misshappen mosquito! Have you forgotten this? Brainless turd.

beaten you handsdown - you and GEJ think alike -

is first quarters not Jan till March.

Ode oshi
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by anonimi: 1:30pm On Dec 24, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM (and/or email) and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Beaf: 1:34pm On Dec 24, 2010
blacksta:

beaten you handsdown - you and GEJ think alike -

is first quarters not Jan till March.

Ode oshi

Thanks for the compliment. You in turn, think like something that dropped out of a cows backside; keep crowing like a fool.
To the chagrin of Nigeria's dolts, generator mafia and parasites, electricity supply is next on GEJ's list; so its ok for your type to weep and grind their teeth.
There is a majority for whom Jonathan has made a very positive impact and touched lives, people like the man below; he no longer has to sleep at the fuel station:

Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by haboosa(m): 1:42pm On Dec 24, 2010
The rate at which poverty has really brutalize Nigerians cannot be quantified, the bruises from the brutality of poverty on the Nigerians has now been contaminated with economic tetanus to the extend that no economic physiotherapist or physician that can administer a relevant curative drug for the so call contractual poverty disease in this our Nigeria . don't blame Jonathan i think he is a Nigerian or what do you expect? angryThey ar all there to reduce the level of poverty in thier respective homes
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by PStacks(m): 2:10pm On Dec 24, 2010
Why the word REASONABLE??
smell a rat,
power supply is power supply. its either all or nothing.
this politicians no go kill me sef.
Ghana has power, not reasonable power. all over the world, there is power.
Malasia, india, countries that were way behind us in the struggle.
somebody is still promising reasonable power at this age and time.
ok. pls just give me power. REASONABLE OR UNREASONABLE.
No wonder his wife said "my husband and sambo is quiet"
Bad people. wish FELA was alive and you offer him reasonable power suply.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by jaygetta(m): 2:18pm On Dec 24, 2010
Electricity, 2hrs /day, could be termed "Reasonable", no? Oga Joe, ur mojo is fast waning and the people are becoming so impatient. . . Surely, u can pull a white rabbit out ur hat to mesmerize the people with!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 24, 2010
I do not know what part of Nigeria you guys are. In my neck of the woods, generators are rarely used. And should we have to use it for whatever reason, it doesn't stay on for more than 30mins
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 2:44pm On Dec 24, 2010
I agree with you all, and I want to go a step further. Trying to solve the power problem first is a step in the wrong direction. We should have industry before power. I know it sounds unreasonable but that's the only way forward. A few reasons for this are

1. To be rich, you have to spend more on assets and less on liabilities
Right now, NEPA can rightly be seen as a liability, it gulps more money than it produces as revenue. On the other hand, if we had functioning govt. funded industries (employing millions) more revenue will accrue to the country (which a fraction could be used to reduce power cost). Some people might ask at this point that don't industries need power to run? Yes they do, but it doesn't make sense to wait for power before one starts. After all, it is a fact that generating sets provide twice the amount of electricity that NEPA generates. Aso rock operates with or without NEPA. MTN, Airtel, and other major companies also operate profitably with or without NEPA

2. The cost of generating reasonable electricity is very high (beyond our present budget)
The largest solar power generating plant in the world located in Blythe California, can generate 1000MW. The cost of the plant is $6billion about N900billion. $6billion is about a quarter of 2011's budget of $28billion. The sector with the highest quota is education with slightly more than N900million! Don't forget that we need much more than 1000MW of electricity. Presently, I don't think we generate as much as 2000MW and even 6000MW can't power Nigeria effectively. To generate an extra 4000MW we'd need about N3.6trillion which is over 75% of the budget!

3. The poor economic/productive state of the country

Even if somehow we managed to fix NEPA and it's generating power effectively, I don't think the average Nigerian will be able to pay for its service. I know it sounds harsh but it’s the fact. We are not producers, we are largely consumers. Oil accounts for almost all the revenue we generate as a country. NEPA affects it too, but it is still thriving! A transformed NEPA does not automatically translate to richer Nigerians, it does not automatically provide jobs for millions. So how will people pay for the services of NEPA in the short run! Can the average guy pay as much as N25,000 per month?

It is wrong to put the cart before the horse, or to buy a generating set before starting up a company! Promising reasonable power supply is as sensible as looking for white shadows.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Fhemmmy: 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2010
He has been in power for how long?
Yet, he is not able to do much about the power generation, how do we know he will truly do something "if" elected
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by 9jafreak: 4:07pm On Dec 24, 2010
[size=14pt]Electricity

Common constant electricity

A Basic necessity

government dey claim ACHIEVEMENT for providing electricity

The sad news is they can't even provide constant electricity

And those gullible ones still want to vote Jonathan,

I have been in Lagos only 4 days and believe me, it's HELL ON EARTH LIVING HERE!

Nothing works

AIR, GOD'S AIR, the only thing that's FREE is HEAVILY POLLUTED

No wonder our people die before their time
[/size]
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Adrian02(m): 4:11pm On Dec 24, 2010
smiley.  When we ask our governmentio when dem go giv us light, dem say na 2010, but 2010 don gooooo!!
Why is it dat each time there is an election, d Wolves come out in Sheep garment and Embezzlers come out as Saints? Abeg, y are we even arguing, is it not 9ja? Elections might b rigged again.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by royalicon(m): 4:44pm On Dec 24, 2010
All the failing ex-president have promised more than this. It make no sence until it becomes a reality.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Ekiti1: 4:59pm On Dec 24, 2010
na today sad sad sad embarassed embarassed
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by jumobi1(m): 5:00pm On Dec 24, 2010
What is he supposed to do? Not make promises? He wont get votes if he doesnt say what he'll do.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by COMPAQ(m): 5:13pm On Dec 24, 2010
But people wettin the guy for talk?? Set aside all the frustration and all and let's all think logically for a moment. Despite the fact that the developed countries have 24/7 electricity, it is still a fairly complicated industry. GEJ cannot by "cracking the whip" get all the NIPP plants under construction 100% ready by tomorrow, or even next month. It just isn't possible no matter what his intentions are!! If recent reports are anything to go by, a number of the NIPP plants will begin to start their first set of turbines in the next 1-3 months. I figure that is where his optimism of "reasonable" electricity is coming from. All in all, if GEJ eventually does privatise PHCN by May/June next year, he would have taken the most decisive step of ANY past president in our history in resolving the power situation in this country. If GEJ succeeds with that privatisation, it may be after he has long gone from Aso rock that Nigerians will look back and appreciate that action. A word for the wise though, prepare for the inevitable increase in tarrifs. I am already planning for it!! What someone told me a long time ago has stuck "don't pray for prices to come down, rather paray to be able to afford things however high the prices". Now that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have a government that strives to put policies in place to reduce the cost of goods and services to the people, but the truth of the matter is that we have been underpaying for many products and services for too long, among them electricity and petroleum products.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Musiwa13: 5:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
daroz,you ask why am i not running. he want to rig it.  it takes more than one person finance to run for president, if good people who want change join me financially to make this change. I am ready to run for the office of president of nigeria and make this change. Hope that answers your question.

I know nigerian are feed up after 12 years, and they need change so bad. It takes more than me alone trying to make change, you see my effort, but it takes you joining me and together we make change. But if you just want to continue see me make effort to make change, we get noway. If you want your lifes to get better, you commit yourself to joining me been president and your lifes would get better.

You cant put a person , who has no clue in aso rock and get anything out of it. In computer field, we says garbage in and you get garbage out. That what you have been doing. You are putting Garbage in Aso rock and you are getting Garbage out of Aso rock. if you put a thief in Aso rock. He would go there and steal. if you put someone who is clueless in aso rock, he goes there and does nothing.
after 12 years

Garbage in  and Garbage out.  but it takes you joining me financially and together we make change. so get off your black behind and join me.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by ladej(m): 6:01pm On Dec 24, 2010
quantify reasonable, does he think we are fools?
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Xfactoria: 6:25pm On Dec 24, 2010
maro23:

I agree with you all, and I want to go a step further. Trying to solve the power problem first is a step in the wrong direction. We should have industry before power. I know it sounds unreasonable but that's the only way forward. A few reasons for this are

1. To be rich, you have to spend more on assets and less on liabilities
Right now, NEPA can rightly be seen as a liability, it gulps more money than it produces as revenue. On the other hand, if we had functioning govt. funded industries (employing millions) more revenue will accrue to the country (which a fraction could be used to reduce power cost). Some people might ask at this point that don't industries need power to run? Yes they do, but it doesn't make sense to wait for power before one starts. After all, it is a fact that generating sets provide twice the amount of electricity that NEPA generates. Aso rock operates with or without NEPA. MTN, Airtel, and other major companies also operate profitably with or without NEPA

It still does not make sense to build industries before we solve power problem. Your argument is flawed. By citing MTN, Airtel etc as examples, you assumed that all industries operate in a sector where the demand for their services is inelastic and where profit margins are high enough to defray the high cost of private power generation.

maro23:

2. The cost of generating reasonable electricity is very high (beyond our present budget)
The largest solar power generating plant in the world located in Blythe California, can generate 1000MW. The cost of the plant is $6billion about N900billion. $6billion is about a quarter of 2011's budget of $28billion. The sector with the highest quota is education with slightly more than N900million! Don't forget that we need much more than 1000MW of electricity. Presently, I don't think we generate as much as 2000MW and even 6000MW can't power Nigeria effectively. To generate an extra 4000MW we'd need about N3.6trillion which is over 75% of the budget!

Aren't we collecting loans for some people to loot now? What stops us from getting world bank/IMF finance with favourable terms and conditions? If we have a good blueprint matched with good administrators who will implement it successfully without engaging in corruption or any form of embezzlement, that would be a good way to go. But I know this may not work here because of the kind of people that we are.

maro23:
[/quote]

3. The poor economic/productive state of the country[/b]
Even if somehow we managed to fix NEPA and it's generating power effectively, I don't think the average Nigerian will be able to pay for its service. I know it sounds harsh but it’s the fact. We are not producers, we are largely consumers. Oil accounts for almost all the revenue we generate as a country. NEPA affects it too, but it is still thriving! A transformed NEPA does not automatically translate to richer Nigerians, it does not automatically provide jobs for millions. So how will people pay for the services of NEPA in the short run! Can the average guy pay as much as N25,000 per month?

It is wrong to put the cart before the horse, or to buy a generating set before starting up a company! Promising reasonable power supply is as sensible as looking for white shadows.

[quote]

This was the same argument advanced for the delay in giving out licenses to telecom operators way back. When they eventually started, the skepticsm was still there. But we all know better today. No matter how you look at it, with improved power supply, more industries will spring up, the existing ones will operate more profitably and consequently unemployment will reduce and many more people will be empowered. Government will only have to ensure proper deregulation that will not create a monopoly but the kind of competition that will force prices down to a reasonable level that people can afford like we are witnessing in the telecoms industry now. Our SMEs are gold mines that have been crippled by erratic power supply in this country. The tailors, artisans, small scale manufacturers are frustrated by the high cost of doing business attributable to the high cost of owning and maintaining a power generating set.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by BadExample: 6:45pm On Dec 24, 2010
This guys ia now becoming a joke with his iterations on electricity. Why not just keep quiet. People are already sorting themselves out. Idiot,
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by BadExample: 6:47pm On Dec 24, 2010
@X-factoria. I can assure you if electicity is fixed no matter the price Nigerian people will pay. See Mobile phone experience
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by 1025: 6:52pm On Dec 24, 2010
this same jonathan is winding up phcn for privatisation so how can he give us reasonable power supply after privatising the industry?
this is a confused statement to decieve his victims(nigerians).
i will wait till one of these politicians tell us that if we elect him, that he will steal more than the pass rulers.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Ruq: 7:17pm On Dec 24, 2010
Bleep Him
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by jacobs123(m): 8:20pm On Dec 24, 2010
The best thing Jonathan can do for himself and re-election bid is for him and his wife to keep quiet. Each time Goodluck OR Patience talks, they spew out trash! (pardon my irreverence!)

The Jonathan's are only fit to lead a village and Patience cuts the image of the wife of a local motor park chief.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by desktop: 11:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
Thats it!
im not voting this guy anymore! so technically now he sees us as what? If he was serious he should have used this period he was in charge to take decisive steps instead of trying to believe he can open office on our heads.
He really should be ashamed of himself!
Is this an issue we should still be deliberating at this stage of our lives?

Even if a frog contests against GEJ thats what i'll vote for
arrant nonsense!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Depointer1: 5:14am On Dec 25, 2010
For me, GEJ has performed so well. At least he brought facebook to Nigeria
grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by tunde247: 8:42am On Dec 25, 2010
maybe
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 10:27am On Dec 25, 2010
X-factoria:

It still does not make sense to build industries before we solve power problem. Your argument is flawed. By citing MTN, Airtel etc as examples, you assumed that all industries operate in a sector where the demand for their services is inelastic and where profit margins are high enough to defray the high cost of private power generation.
My Point is very simple, its a universal principle To be rich you have to spend more on assets and less on liabilities. I never assumed that all industries have inelastic demand for their products/services. But assumed that the industries that will be built will meet basic needs of the people, and hence high demand for the resultant products leading to and great profitability. MTN and Airtel don't provide basic needs, yet they are profitable and they run on generators most of the time! The basic needs of the human being are food, shelter and clothing, almost everything else is a luxury!

X-factoria:

Aren't we collecting loans for some people to loot now? What stops us from getting world bank/IMF finance with favourable terms and conditions? If we have a good blueprint matched with good administrators who will implement it successfully without engaging in corruption or any form of embezzlement, that would be a good way to go. But I know this may not work here because of the kind of people that we are.

Why borrow when you can do something yourself by taking small steps. To generate an extra 4,000MW we need N3.6trillion, and the truth is that we need at least 20,000MW (N18trillion, 4 times 2011 budget) to be close to being an advanced nation, do we continue taking loans? We have inept leaders that are quick in finding opportunities to loot if not I would have agreed that we take a loan. Our leaders have not being faithful with the little they've had that is why I don't think it will be nice if they borrow to fund NEPA.  My suggestion is for us to diversify our economy (by creating industries that are powered by generators) so that eventually, with the increased revenues we have, expand NEPA on our on terms without the whites breathing down our necks! My argument remains the same, if MTN can be profitable running on generators in Nigeria why can't a multi-billion naira Garment making company or processed vegetable oil company do much better? Malaysia's major export is Oil Palm and they are not doing badly, do you think it is impossible to have a profitable Oil Palm Company operating on generators? I know it is possible. When business is done on a very large scale, like the way MTN operates with millions of subscribers, cost of power is no more a strong determinant for profitability.

X-factoria:

This was the same argument advanced for the delay in giving out licenses to telecom operators way back. When they eventually started, the skepticsm was still there. But we all know better today. No matter how you look at it, with improved power supply, more industries will spring up, the existing ones will operate more profitably and consequently unemployment will reduce and many more people will be empowered. Government will only have to ensure proper deregulation that will not create a monopoly but the kind of competition that will force prices down to a reasonable level that people can afford like we are witnessing in the telecoms industry now. Our SMEs are gold mines that have been crippled by erratic power supply in this country. The tailors, artisans, small scale manufacturers are frustrated by the high cost of doing business attributable to the high cost of owning and maintaining a power generating set.

Our telecoms service is one of the most expensive in the world, because we were hasty in our letting them start. It is true they are operating with lots of customers but it could have been a lot better. The average Nigerian thinks the services are still too expensive. And truth be told they are still ripping us off. A lot of Nigerians own phones but how many actually use them apart from making mid-night calls? The average Nigerian is not a Lagosian and doesn't reside in the capital city of a state. The average Nigerian is much poorer and would rather make a call from a business center because of the high cost. It is wrong to think that because you and your friends can easily afford to make calls from your phone that it's like that for the rest of Nigerians. More than half of Nigerians live below $2 /day! SME's are not gold mines because their production costs are high and the world is a global village. While SME's are producing in hundreds or thousands, their international competition is producing in millions, large scale production reduces cost much more than cheaper electricity And by the way electricity is not cheap abroad. Can the average Nigerian family pay N25,000 monthly for electricity for a 3 bedroom apartment when the minimum wage remains N18,000?

Placing power before industry is a quick fix kind of solution that will most likely be stifled by corruption. Industry before power is an inside-out approach to solving our problems. It requires a lot of understanding and discipline. Sadly, most of our leaders lack this attributes.

I'm actually very open to your arguments because it is an opportunity for me to learn something new.

Merry Christmas!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 11:08am On Dec 25, 2010
Industry before power will lead to mass employment of people in the short run and it involves little or no debts. But if the power issues are resolved first, one will have to wait to see the ripple effect before unemployment rate drops. And after that we'd still be facing the huge debts incurred.

Like I said before You get a building before thinking of getting a generator. The cart should not be placed before the horse.

The egg comes before the chick!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by COMPAQ(m): 11:29am On Dec 25, 2010
Actually, the chicken comes before the egg. After all, God created all things and he created them alive, therefore there was the chicken before the egg!!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 12:00pm On Dec 25, 2010
COMPAQ:

Actually, the chicken comes before the egg. After all, God created all things and he created them alive, therefore there was the chicken before the egg!!

You are very correct saying God created all things and he created them alive. But there's a little error, that's how I used to think before (and a lot of people) God created the hen and the cock, not chicks. The hen and cock then produced an egg with brought forth a chick.

Hen and cock, then egg, then, chick

Industries with generators will lead to, employment, more revenue and and better standards of living, then a fully functional NEPA!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by BetaThings: 12:03pm On Dec 25, 2010
Beaf:

Thanks for the compliment. You in turn, think like something that dropped out of a cows backside; keep crowing like a fool.
To the chagrin of Nigeria's dolts, generator mafia and parasites, electricity supply is next on GEJ's list; so its ok for your type to weep and grind their teeth.
There is a majority for whom Jonathan has made a very positive impact and touched lives, people like the man below; he no longer has to sleep at the fuel station:

We have not forgotten
Rice Sharing
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5625266-146/commotion_at_independence_rice_distributio
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by rebranded(m): 12:16pm On Dec 25, 2010
jacobs123:

The best thing Jonathan can do for himself and re-election bid is for him and his wife to keep quiet. Each time Goodluck OR Patience talks, they spew out trash! (pardon my irreverence!)

The Jonathan's are only fit to lead a village and Patience cuts the image of the wife of a local motor park chief.

I agree with you, the Guy needs to talk less!. . it will help his image, all this constant facebook and talk just heats up the whole country!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NIMASA Building At Apapa On Fire? / Some Major Markets In Lagos Closed Today Due To Jonathan's Campaign? / Kanu Spends Another Christmas In Prison And Biafrans Are Celebrating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.