Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,913 members, 7,866,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:20 PM

Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected (4776 Views)

Kogi Guber: Audu Will Return The N11bn He Stole If Elected - APC Chairman / Prof. Osinbajo Pledges To God Not To Steal Public Funds If Elected / I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 9:39am On Dec 28, 2010
netotse:

telecoms is not an industry. . .buying thousands of generators does not translate to a power station

the difference in the cost per kwh makes your suggestion less feasible, i dont know which industry would want to generate their own power at double the cost. . .

Of course I know that thousands of generators don't make a power station. I was being metaphorical. I strongly believe that if the scale of production is large enough, then cost of generation of electricity won't be such an issue. It doesn't make sense for private companies to go into production using generating sets because operating cost will be to high because they might not have the resources to produce on a very large scale.

It will make plenty sense, if the govt. on the other hand situates a multi-billion naira processing company(running on generators, maybe solar or even wind powered) next to a large mechanized plantation. If it is large enough then cost of electricity won't matter too much.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 9:42am On Dec 28, 2010
maro23:

I don't think you read my post. 
I'm not saying that these large scale industries will operate without power. They will use their own power stations just like our profitable oil and telecoms companies.

I did read what you wrote and I still believe you are no getting it.

Power stations cost money and if companies are unable to break even after factoring cost of power towards production, then there is no reason for them to continue. About a page or two ago, I told you that many of the companies have reached this point and have exited the Nigerian market ,enmasse, as a result.  To have large scale production, you need power,and power is not cheap especially when you have to produce it for yourself. You cannot empower people when you do not provide them with power to do the work needed. This is not a chicken and egg situation -- this is straight-- you need industry, you have to have affordable power first or you cannot compete both locally and with the rest of the world.

Running businesses on generator does not get cheaper, there is no such info to show that the more generators you run, the cheaper energy gets. That is a wrong assumption you are working with there. Solar panels are were you can power whole factories 100% yet, let alone a significant portion of what you have there are large scale production there.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 10:05am On Dec 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I did read what you wrote and I still believe you are no getting it.

Power stations cost money and if companies are unable to break even after factoring cost of power towards production, then there is no reason for them to continue. About a page or two ago, I told you that many of the companies have reached this point and have exited the Nigerian market ,enmasse, as a result.  To have large scale production, you need power,and power is not cheap especially when you have to produce it for yourself. You cannot empower people when you do not provide them with power to do the work needed. This is not a chicken and egg situation -- this is straight-- you need industry, you have to have affordable power first or you cannot compete both locally and with the rest of the world.

I agree you. If after considering all the costs including that of generating electricity, and one doesn't break even then there should be no point continuing production. My hope is that if production is on a really large scale like in the oil companies, then cost of generating electricity won't be a strong determinant for profitability

Kobojunkie:

To have large scale production, you need power,and power is not cheap especially when you have to produce it for yourself. You cannot empower people when you do not provide them with power to do the work needed. This is not a chicken and egg situation -- this is straight-- you need industry, you have to have affordable power first or you cannot compete both locally and with the rest of the world.

It won't make sense for SME's or private companies to do this because they don't have the resources for large scale production. I believe the govt. should stop trying to create enable environment for business. They should situate multi billion naira companies powered by generators. That action will generate mass employment
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 10:11am On Dec 28, 2010
maro23:

I agree you. If after considering all the costs including that of generating electricity, and one doesn't break even then there should be no point continuing production. My hope is that if production is on a really large scale like in the oil companies, then cost of generating electricity won't be a strong determinant for profitability

It won't make sense for SME's or private companies to do this because they don't have the resources for large scale  production. I believe the govt. should stop trying to create enable environment for business. They should situate multi billion naira companies powered by generators. That action will generate mass employment

Like I said, going large scale does not necessarily mean lower energy consumption -- in more cases than none, it means more energy consumption, and in turn increase in cost. Your idea has already been tried by factories and I keep having to repeat that many, have after so many years of trying to shoulder the costs, decided to move across to neighboring countries where cost of energy is lower, thereby allowing them better compete. Cost of energy is always a determinant even in large scale production.

Cost of power/amount of power necessary does not decrease when you increase company scale. When you have a smaller house, you are likely to have lower energy load, but when you buy a bigger house, get more gadgets/electronics, your energy load increases, it does not decrease if you decide to pool energy with the neighbors who also have bigger houses. It does not work that way ooo.

A machine that consumes 40000MW of energy will not consume any less each, even after you connect about 200 in series or in parallel. lol
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 10:36am On Dec 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Like I said, going large scale does not necessarily mean lower energy consumption -- in more cases than none, it means more energy consumption, and in turn increase in cost. Your idea has already been tried by factories and I keep having to repeat that many, have after so many years of trying to shoulder the costs, decided to move across to neighboring countries where cost of energy is lower, thereby allowing them better compete. Cost of energy is always a determinant even in large scale production.

Cost of power/amount of power necessary does not decrease when you increase company scale. When you have a smaller house, you are likely to have lower energy load, but when you buy a bigger house, get more gadgets/electronics, your energy load increases, it does not decrease if you decide to pool energy with the neighbors who also have bigger houses. It does not work that way ooo.

A machine that consumes 40000MW of energy will not consume any less each, even after you connect about 200 in series or in parallel. lol

You are very correct, producing at a large scale does not lower energy consumption. It increases the total energy consumption but reduces the energy consumption per product and hence the average cost. The larger the scale the greater the reduction in average cost of production. This is very possible by taking advantage of economies of scale, no magic needed, no need to change the laws of physics!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by maro23(m): 12:16pm On Dec 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I agree with you that cost of power does not decrease when you increase company scale. But the average cost of power used on each product decreases.

A car consumes less fuel at higher speeds. It is safe to say that at high speeds you cover more distance with less fuel. This means that the fuel/distance reduces with increments in speed. In the same vein, the average cost of boiling a million eggs is much lower than that of boiling a thousand eggs! Lets make it simpler-- the average cost of boiling 20 eggs is much smaller than that of boiling just one.

Large scale production greatly reduces the average cost. If it is large enough then cost of electricity won't be a major determinant for profitability. However, proper planning and precise analysis based projections should be made to check for possibility of profitability. If one is not likely to break even soon enough then the venture won't be worth the risk.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by netotse(m): 5:04pm On Dec 28, 2010
@maro23
Maybe i'd have a better understanding of your point if you could explain the steps that government should/could take to bring about the idea you're trying to pass across. I'm saying this cos it seems we're going back and forth over the same issue, and maybe if we take a look at it from another angle things'll make more sense.

I'm off the opinion that by leaving majority of the power sector investments to private companies(in a sense), the government is doing the right thing. I think the money saved could be put to better uses, what's your take?
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by desktop: 7:57am On Dec 29, 2010
The best thing Jonathan can do for himself and re-election bid is for him and his wife to keep quiet. Each time Goodluck OR Patience talks, they spew out trash! (pardon my irreverence!)

The Jonathan's are only fit to lead a village and Patience cuts the image of the wife of a local motor park chief.

shocked shocked shocked OMG!
funny enough i actually share your views.
. . .lead a village . . . local motor park chiefs wife
lol
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by SweetT1: 8:01am On Dec 29, 2010
I think GEJ will do well for Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 8:22am On Dec 29, 2010
Sweet T:

I think GEJ will do well for Nigeria.

It's been over 7 months and you are still speaking in the future tense? Come on now!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It's been over 7 months and you are still speaking in the future tense? Come on now!

grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by SweetT1: 8:26am On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

And you want him to perform miracles in 7 months?? A nation that was eaten like pancakes for decades. You want one man to turn decades of decays into gold within 7 months?
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 8:29am On Dec 29, 2010
Sweet T:

And you want him to perform miracles in 7 months?? A nation that was eaten like pancakes for decades. You want one man to turn decades of decays into gold within 7 months?

No one is asking for miracles, we are simply asking that he at least move -- do something worthy of 7 months. By the way he has essentially been interning for the most part of 2.5 years as yar adua's BACKMAN, I think it is right to expect him to hit the ground running. . . we don't need to treat him as if he has no clue what aso rock politics is like. You do that for people who are brand spanking new to aso rock, not to people who have been sleeping in aso rock for well over 2 years prior.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by SweetT1: 8:35am On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No one is asking for miracles, we are simply asking that he at least move -- do something worthy of 7 months. By the way he has essentially been interning for the most part of 2.5 years as yar adua's BACKMAN, I think it is right to expect him to hit the ground running. . . we don't need to treat him as if he has no clue what aso rock politics is like. You do that for people who are brand spanking new to aso rock, not to people who have been sleeping in aso rock for well over 2 years prior.

Nigerians, we can be such an unrealistic individuals. If all that we wish is for is that easy, Haiti will be an heaven. The man doesn't even have a mandate yet, and thinking of all he has to deal with? I admit that he's slow in some steps but the man needs time to make the kind of changes we are all hoping for. Obama has spent 2 years in Office and he's still struggling to make his promises.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 8:47am On Dec 29, 2010
Sweet T:

Nigerians, we can be such an unrealistic individuals. If all that we wish is for is that easy, Haiti will be an heaven. The man doesn't even have a mandate yet, and thinking of all he has to deal with? I admit that he's slow in some steps but the man needs time to make the kind of changes we are all hoping for. Obama has spent 2 years in Office and he's still struggling to make his promises.

I beg to differ. Nigerians are more known to settle for that which they ought not to, and make up excuses for even the inexcusable. You have someone who has been in ASO ROCK, as 2nd in command to the First man for over 2 years, Someone who has himself chaired some really serious committees in that time, and you still think 7 months is not enough time to expect that person to at least be able to show some work?

The silly thing is people like you irrationally compare these people with real achievers and actually think you seem intelligent when you do so. In 2 years, Obama has, by your Nigerians standards actually accomplished more as president than Yar adua, and Jonathan combined have been able to in all their years in politics. I suggest you go back and check the records before you start offering up your *** excuses for the inexcusable.

I do hope that this is all internet yarns and that in your real life, you do not settle for mediocrity in much the same way you pretend to on this issue.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by SweetT1: 8:59am On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I beg to differ. Nigerians are more known to settle for that which they ought not to, and make up excuses for even the inexcusable. You have someone who has been in ASO ROCK, as 2nd in command to the First man for over 2 years, Someone who has himself chaired some really serious committees in that time, and you still think 7 months is not enough time to expect that person to at least be able to show some work?

The silly thing is people like you continue to selectively compare these people with others without really making sure to apply truth. In 2 years, Obama has actually done more than Yar adua and Jonathan combined can ever think they have accomplished in their years in politics. I suggest you go back and check the records to understand why someone like me could make such a statement.

I do hope that this is all internet yarns and that in your real life, you do not settle for mediocrity in much the same way you pretend to on this issue.

Pretend? No sweetheart, no fronting here what u see is what you get. The only realistic way for Nigeria to have a steady electricity is by going nuclear. And with the way things are, Nigeria can NOT afford that right now. For changes to really take place, Nigeria and Nigerians has some serious sacrifices to make. It's not the issue of mediocrity, it's the issue of reality. The ills that has taken place in Nigeria since Babangida will take several serious years to correct and that is the reality. We can start with GEJ but the corrections will not end with him. Let's be real here, even the so-called world powers are now making adjustments to their situations because good things takes time and serious minded folks to achieve. I'm not sure Nigeria and Nigerians are there yet.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 9:03am On Dec 29, 2010
Sweet T:

Pretend? No sweetheart, no fronting here what u see is what you get. The only realistic way for Nigeria to have a steady electricity is by going nuclear. And with the way things are, Nigeria can NOT afford that right now. For changes to really take place, Nigeria and Nigerians has some serious sacrifices to make. It's not the issue of mediocrity, it's the issue of reality. The ills that has taken place in Nigeria since Babangida will take several serious years to correct and that is the reality. We can start with GEJ but the corrections will not end with him. Let's be real here, even the so-called world powers are now making adjustments to their situations because good things takes time and serious minded folks to achieve. I'm not sure Nigeria and Nigerians are there yet.

STOP !!! ENOUGH!!! The only way change you seek can happen is if people like you stop looking to KISS ARSE of one or any of the politicians and state things as you should. Stand up for right NO MATTER WHO IS INVOLVED! Your BABANGIDA rant only reveals you are no different from all the others who contain to make sure this continue continues where it has been. Spare me the sermon until you get for yourself a better mindset in this.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by SweetT1: 9:10am On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

STOP !!! ENOUGH!!! The only way change you seek can happen is if people like you stop looking to KISS ARSE of one or any of the politicians and state things as you should. Stand up for right NO MATTER WHO IS INVOLVED! Your BABANGIDA rant only reveals you are no different from all the others who contain to make sure this continue continues where it has been. Spare me the sermon until you get for yourself a better mindset in this.

Very funny, You sure like to flirt with abuse don't you? Whose @$$ am i kissing? GEJ? for what? The man is a victim of circumstances, he just found himself being the president cause his boss died. The man didn't even make Campaign promises of his own. All i'm saying is, give the chap some more time and let's see what happens. Trust me, the other Politicians in Nigeria right now are far worse. Point to a Nigerian Politician that can do better? We are recycling illiterates and empty barrels. Folks that has no clue, im not here to be GEJ spokesperson, i'm just saying he has no miracle to perform within the short time he's been in office. Have a blessed day woman.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 9:16am On Dec 29, 2010
I have definitely had me enough of this nonsense to last me the rest of the year !!

**Sigh!
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by SweetT1: 9:17am On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I have definitely had me enough of this nonsense to last me the rest of the year !!

**Sigh!

Pele, he go better.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by dinggle: 9:24am On Dec 29, 2010
Think! Think!! Think!!! my people.

Security ====>ZERO
Jobs ======>ZERO
Electricity ===>ZERO
Sports =====>ZERO
Roads =====>ZERO
FOOD =====>ZERO
Corruption ==>200%

The one thing GEJ didnt was getting Nigeria out of USA terrorist after the mutallab saga and defeating the Turai Yaradua cartel. I supported him then because I wanted the constitution to be protected. Now its time for GEJ to speak for himself and he has nothing to say he's done!, PERIOD.

In America Road construction is used as massive employment opportunity! in Nigeria na lie even tho billions are given out for road construction these contractors still pay "killing wage" to laborers. Govt need to pass a law for the construction firms to knw that if u get a contract from govt minimum wage is at least =N=60,000 a month.

Its time for a new party, and a new hand, Ribadu, Buhari, Dead body, spirit I dont care, just bring in a new head we r done wit dis Poverty demonstration Party! this guys need to knw there will be punishment for not fixing this country when they had a chance.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by Kobojunkie: 9:26am On Dec 29, 2010
As long as we have people who are willing to MANUFACTURE excuses for the inexcusable, you are probably getting the same old junk next year. We definitely need an awakening in that country - -- people need to wake up to the facts of their reality, rather than continuing to create gods out of people who continue to show over and over they have nothing better to offer.
Re: Jonathan Promises Reasonable Power Supply If Elected by SweetT1: 9:43am On Dec 29, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin

Do you really wear Ileke on your idi? it will be something to see that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Update: Ipob Onitsha Shooting Death Toll Hit 7 And 20 On Dead List / See The Controversial Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan Which Has Sparked Online Debate / Breaking News:"i Will Never Fund Security Again"--- Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.