Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,602 members, 7,823,616 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ (37133 Views)

Henrietta Alokha Is Dead! The Principal Of Bethlehem Girls College Dies In Lagos / Lagos Explosion: Bethlehem Girls College In Ruins, Students Being Rescued / Fire At Federal Government Girls College Hostel, Umuahia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by zognehedro: 9:58am On Mar 17, 2020
Oh shit
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by MichaelUweh(m): 9:58am On Mar 17, 2020
Let them continue building everything in Lagos.
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by SweetCunt97(f): 9:58am On Mar 17, 2020
Jeezuzpick:
I have a personal friend who said he lost two nieces in that school.

Who dafuq's lyin?

undecided
Why the lies? I knew it's impossible for all kids to be accounted for

2 Likes

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Uyi168: 9:58am On Mar 17, 2020
I lost a friend in the blast..
A year 5 pharmacy student....

1 Like

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Nyamiri: 9:59am On Mar 17, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Heard its Boko Haram attack

You heard this from your mother's akpu kitchen in Abakaliki.
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by spinna: 9:59am On Mar 17, 2020
Another pair of heroines that made the ultimate sacrifice for others. Like th late great Dr Adadevoh

1 Like

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by platido(m): 9:59am On Mar 17, 2020
Still sympathising with them... may their souls. Found rest!
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by wink2015(m): 10:01am On Mar 17, 2020
The Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos has clarified that no student of Bethlehem Girls College died in the explosion that rocked the Abule-Ado area of FESTAC in Amuwo Odofin local government area of Lagos state on Sunday.

It was earlier reported that many people including a principal, students of a boarding school and family of four lost their lives to the explosion.

But the Church in a statement signed by the Chief Shepherd of the Archdiocese, Most. Rev. Alfred Adewale Martins, stated that all students of the school were reported safe.

He said that with the help of the first respondents, all the students were rescued and some that were injured were rushed to the hospitals while others have been released to their parents and gone to their different homes.

“We want to state that all students of the school were reported safe. Those who sustained injuries were promptly attended to in various hospitals within the environs.

“We are getting our Education Department along with the Administrators of other Archdiocesan schools to see how the students of Bethlehem Girls College can be accommodated in other schools so that their education is not disrupted,” the statement reads in part, noting that the incident occurred while the students and staff were at Sunday Mass.

The church, however, confirmed the death of the school’s Administrator, Rev. Sr. (Dr.) Henrietta Alokha, and a female security guard who both paid the supreme price while trying to ensure the safety of the students.

It also confirmed that no priest died during the incident, explaining that the priest who was celebrating the Mass helped in rescuing the students and himself.

Commenting on the properties destroyed, Rev. Alfred said that the Staff quarters, Administrative Building, the cafeteria and hostel buildings were levelled to the ground as a result of the impact of the explosion with no essential building standing except the convent housing the nuns in charge of the school.

The Church thanked all those who responded swiftly, while also commending the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Nigeria Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the Red Cross and the various Security Agencies for their prompt response which, it said, ensured that the situation did not get worse.

“We are grateful to the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu for his call to express the sympathy of the government and for setting up a committee to investigate issues surrounding the explosion,” Rev. Alfred said.

Daily Trust reports that the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, had launched a N2billion Emergency Relief Fund for victims of the explosion.

He has also set up an inter-governmental and multi-sectoral committee to investigate the remote and immediate cause of the explosions, which he described as unfortunate and monumental.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/lagos-explosion-no-student-of-bethlehem-girls-college-died.html

Bethlehem is a holy name for an holy city in the Jesus days.

That Holy Name should not have suffered such a fate.

MAY THIS NEVER BE OUR PORTION.

1 Like

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Nyamiri: 10:02am On Mar 17, 2020
MichaelUweh:
Let them continue building everything in Lagos.

Before nko, where should they build it? In your father's parlour?
Keep using kidnapping and cultism to scare investors from your place. You think there won't be repercussions?
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Perfecttouchade: 10:02am On Mar 17, 2020
Mercy oh lord
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Tripitaka: 10:04am On Mar 17, 2020
Jeezuzpick:
I have a personal friend who said he lost two nieces in that school.

Who dafuq's lyin?

undecided

The church is certainly lying, which I believe is for PR. With the amount of damage done to the school an, it's proximity to the disaster, there's no way all the kids will be safe.

1 Like

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by enemyofprogress: 10:04am On Mar 17, 2020
morikee:
Rip i no dey see my guy @MannaBBQGrill i hope say Covid-19 no jam am.
i hear sey the thing jam am o
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by brownemmanuel43(m): 10:04am On Mar 17, 2020
morikee:
Rip i no dey see my guy @MannaBBQGrill i hope say Covid-19 no jam am.
Why u go see am when Fulani dun turn to better meat. U can shy away from the reality at all times. Karma will always catch u.
Rest in Peace MannaBBGrill
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Roman7(m): 10:06am On Mar 17, 2020
Dis thing na bomb blast Abi gas explosion cuz I'm not understanding
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Jeezuzpick(m): 10:06am On Mar 17, 2020
Tripitaka:

The church is certainly lying, which I believe is for PR. With the amount of damage done to the school an, it's proximity to the disaster, there's no way all the kids will be safe.

See my chat with him a couple minutes ago.....

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by elmodee7(m): 10:06am On Mar 17, 2020
UnaToto:
UnaToto

U have finally ran mad, quit smokind colorado and loud. U need serious help.
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by IghravweIG(m): 10:07am On Mar 17, 2020
May their souls rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by kunletexs: 10:08am On Mar 17, 2020
So sorry for your loss. It so sad that many were affected because of the carelessness of some. Please rest in peace to the two victims of the explosion.

I also commensurate with many that lost love ones in the deadly Sunday blast. Please accept my deepest sympathy.

To those who lost property in this sad incident, may God replenish all you lost
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by iwale37: 10:10am On Mar 17, 2020
emeijeh:
"Rev. Sr. (Dr.) Henrietta Alokha, and a female security guard who both paid the supreme price while trying to ensure the safety of the students"

...so touching
rest in d lord

1 Like

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Smartseanjohn: 10:13am On Mar 17, 2020
Been poor means you're no longer entitled to exist. life of the poor man is no life to the rich in there country called Nigeria
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Tripitaka: 10:15am On Mar 17, 2020
Jeezuzpick:

See my chat with him a couple minutes ago.....

They are trying to downplay the effect of the blast so as to keep attracting prospective students. The school is a business and admittance of casualties means that parents may not want to enrol their kids in the future.
Even in the neighbouring communities of Abule Osun, Festac and Tedi the impact was massively felt, let alone a school that almost shares fence with the site.

1 Like

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by DropsMic(m): 10:15am On Mar 17, 2020
RIP
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Baroba(m): 10:25am On Mar 17, 2020
Sad... Correction, the first responders were those boys who were pulling those girls up from the fence, I hope someone recognise them just as well...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Sweeetheart(m): 10:25am On Mar 17, 2020
I'm terribly sorry for this unfortunate incidence

I'm glad the govt had accepted their fault and taken responsibility of this awful incident

May those that lost their lives received mercy in their judgement day
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Sultty(m): 10:33am On Mar 17, 2020
References:

Daily Trust reports that the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, had launched a N2billion Emergency Relief Fund for victims of the explosion.

go and ask ur daddy Tinubu for it
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 17, 2020
Baroba:
Sad... Correction, the first responders were those boys who were pulling those girls up from the fence, I hope someone recognise them just as well...

U need to be corrected. The first respondents were the Rev Sr and female guard who were the first to rescue d girls. The second respondents are those boys that took them over the fence after the first respondents have secured them. Mind you d school chapel did not crumble at d impact, it was after d girls have been rescued that the roof crumbled on the Rev. Sr who was still searching for any girl left in d chapel.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Brunicekid(m): 10:40am On Mar 17, 2020
emeijeh:
"Rev. Sr. (Dr.) Henrietta Alokha, and a female security guard who both paid the supreme price while trying to ensure the safety of the students"

...so touching
Very very TOUCHING...

The Revd Sister. Henrietta Alokha and the female security guard are indeed RARE GEMS in our Generation.

1 Like

Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 10:47am On Mar 17, 2020
Nigeria is well indeed
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by DateMynd44(m): 10:48am On Mar 17, 2020
Uyi168:
I lost a friend in the blast..
A year 5 pharmacy student....
UNIBEN?
U know na Lagosians full uniben oh.
Make I come call my colleagues were dey stay for Lagos.
Chai see what the festival sports has caused
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by DateMynd44(m): 10:50am On Mar 17, 2020
elmodee7:

U have finally ran mad, quit smokind colorado and loud. U need serious help.
he's an IPOB terrorist
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by Sonicroyel: 10:51am On Mar 17, 2020
julioralph:
sad

May God have mercy on their souls.

I wonder what sort of "pipeline explosion" would take out windows, remove roofs, damage cars, and also send huge sound-waves/tremors across Lagos/Ogun states

A "pipeline explosion" whose aftermath looks like something done by a F-35 jet or Avenger drone?

A so called "pipeline explosion" that very conveniently happened at 9am when the girls were gathered for mass, and when others in the Neighourhood were either going to Or returning from their churches

There's more to this abegi lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

it was a gas factory explosion.. everyone's been thinking a bomb too.to make matters worse the soldiers then said some persons were surveying that area some days prior
Re: Lagos explosion: ‘No student of Bethlehem Girls College died’ by JuanDeDios: 10:55am On Mar 17, 2020
References:

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/lagos-explosion-no-student-of-bethlehem-girls-college-died.html
"The church, however, confirmed the death of the school’s Administrator, Rev. Sr. (Dr.) Henrietta Alokha, and a female security guard who both paid the supreme price while trying to ensure the safety of the students."
And the security guard has no name? Presumably, her family knows by now. Why, Rev Martins?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon / Photo: What Would You Do If You Discover This In Your Maths Final Exam? / UNILORIN Students Nab Two Thieves During Night Class (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.