Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity (20412 Views)

Electricity: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria $18.29m For 2022 Consumption –NERC / Niger, Benin, Togo Owe Nigeria ₦5.8 Billion For Power In 2020 – Report / Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by anonymous1759(m): 11:11am On Mar 17, 2020
seedorfg:
Wonder why I don't use the phrase " you can't give what you don't have".

Because the reverse is the case in Nigeria, it is only Nigeria that give what they don't have. How can we give electricity when we don't have one, and how can we have money outside and still complain of no money to the tune of borrowing from China...
Nigeria government matter is beyond prayer.

Even the money to will be looted as soon as it entered Nigeria coffer

We've electricity if you don't believe some cabals who imports generators are responsible for power failure have a rethink corruption is responsible for our power failure just like Nigeria not having a single working refinery and prefer to export so they can steal.
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Ghostmode2two(m): 11:47am On Mar 17, 2020
Will the electricity workers disconnect these 3 countries and fold their wire. Nonsense people
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by amamkingchimex: 11:48am On Mar 17, 2020
Davido net worth

Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Charly68: 1:39pm On Mar 17, 2020
Foreigners are owing up to that figure and you are mounting tariff pressure on the citizens..! These people are very wicked ,why not go and recover the debt from the two nations
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 17, 2020
Why sell electricity when we don't have enough
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Jamorezzi: 2:42pm On Mar 17, 2020
None of my business, because even we the sharers of electricity cant even enjoy it .
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Olumyco(m): 2:48pm On Mar 17, 2020
Kekereekun123:
because the source of electricity na river niger wey dey their country too. if they dam the river too it affects us

There are many ways to generate electricity. In Nigeria we generate our electricity majorly using thermal and hydro.

Thermal Power Plants across the nation are more than hydro power plants and the aggregate power output generated is more than hydro power plants. So we don't have much problem. We supply them based on business purposes. To build a power plant for a nation comes with high cost so these small countries have to look for a way to buy at cheaper rate from another country.
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Zezco(m): 3:01pm On Mar 17, 2020
Foolish government and electricity workers in nigeria just own a month bill na to start ranting up and down and put their families in darkness.
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by femmy2010(m): 3:35pm On Mar 17, 2020
Maybe they gave them "crazy bill" as usual .
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 3:37pm On Mar 17, 2020
Nbote:
Wen will Nepa even carry ladder to go and cut their own light?? Shebi if its here now dey'll carry ladder up and down
Citytrend:
That moment when your Father feeds many Strang women when the children are dying of hunger and starvation.

My brother something is certainly wrong with African Leaders
BarrElChapo:
And una never cut their light but if bobos owe una 2k una go climb ladder angry
1mrprolific7:
You never eat Belle Full dey dish out light. Since 3 months I never get light.
Inkling:
Den owe Nigeria Nepa 30 Billion nothing happen.

If a Nigerian owe Nepa 10k den go cut of the light.
ursullalinda:
We don't have enough and we are still giving people from the one we should be managing.....pls cut them off .....let's enjoy our light.
topshotnista:
What electricity? We don't even have enough to power Nigeria
miketayo:
Are we not mad like this, we haven't finished supplying Nigeria we r supplying countries that enjoy more hours of electricity than us
seedorfg:
Wonder why I don't use the phrase " you can't give what you don't have".

Because the reverse is the case in Nigeria, it is only Nigeria that give what they don't have. How can we give electricity when we don't have one, and how can we have money outside and still complain of no money to the tune of borrowing from China...
Nigeria government matter is beyond prayer.

Even the money to will be looted as soon as it entered Nigeria coffer

Problem is that Nigeria agreed to provide some of these countries with electricity in EXCHANGE for them agreeing not to dam the River Niger upstream (which would adversely affect river flow to our major hydro plants). Furthermore, they pay in HARD CURRENCY!
>

1 Like

Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Ruby5: 3:38pm On Mar 17, 2020
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 3:40pm On Mar 17, 2020
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 3:46pm On Mar 17, 2020
Smartseanjohn:
A big mistake country called Nigeria.
Note that it is absolute your wish to remain in Nigeria because of fear, try migrate and forget your Nigeria mentality. The country is sold long time ago am sorry.

You can NEVER...
In fact the reason many succeed abroad is that hustling “never-carry-last” Naija mentality! cool
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Blue3k(m): 3:56pm On Mar 17, 2020
Topmaike007:
we cannot cut them off because if the original owner of the river that filled kanji dam is block even Nigeria will blackout
Kekereekun123:
because the source of electricity na river niger wey dey their country too. if they dam the river too it affects us
9jaRealist:

Problem is that Nigeria agreed to provide some of these countries with electricity in EXCHANGE for them agreeing not to dam the River Niger upstream (which would adversely affect river flow to our major hydro plants). Furthermore, they pay in HARD CURRENCY!
>

Stop making that exuse. Niger Republic is building a dam on the river Niger.

The Kandadji dam will be constructed on the Niger River, 187 and 489 kilometers upstream from the capital city, Niamey, and the Nigerian border respectively, and 60 km downstream from the Malian border.
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 3:57pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:
Olumyco:
There are many ways to generate electricity. In Nigeria we generate our electricity majorly using thermal and hydro.

Thermal Power Plants across the nation are more than hydro power plants and the aggregate power output generated is more than hydro power plants. So we don't have much problem. We supply them based on business purposes. To build a power plant for a nation comes with high cost so these small countries have to look for a way to buy at cheaper rate from another country.

These agreements have reportedly been in place since the 1970s and 1980s, before Nigeria started building a lot of thermal plants...
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by ugbarreta(m): 4:11pm On Mar 17, 2020
God punish all these useless leaders we have here! They r supplying energy to international customers 247 light and are depriving us even 3hrs light everyday and when we refuse to pay, they'll will carry their ladder and disconnect us. That is why Nigeria is a perpetual under developed country. Hunger virus is killing us why we have the most expensive useless parliament, that are brain dead. Nonsense
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 4:12pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:

These agreements were made in the 1970s and 1980s when Nigeria had only 1 thermal and more than half of our power came from Kainji...
Accordingly, it is not rational to bemoan that we are supplying electricity to our neighbors without first satisfying our own domestic demand.

Furthermore, as I noted, these payments are made in HARD CURRENCY (and likely at more commercial rates than Nigerian domestic tariffs).
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Blue3k(m): 4:21pm On Mar 17, 2020
9jaRealist:

These agreements were made in the 1970s and 1980s when Nigeria had only 1 thermal and more than half of our power came from Kainji...
Accordingly, it is not rational to bemoan that we are supplying electricity to our neighbors without first satisfying our own domestic demand.

Furthermore, as I noted, these payments are made in HARD CURRENCY (and likely at more commercial rates than Nigerian domestic tariffs).
>

They're free to break agreements because it was made in the 1970s. Lol was that written in the agreement? They clearly not paying up as you see with that bills snd they're building a dam.

According to Mamman, the power sale from Nigeria to Niger Republic was based on bilateral agreement on basis of the construction of dams along River Niger.

He noted that some concessions were given to some countries along River Niger for Nigeria to supply them power, adding that these countries are not allowed to construct dams along the waterways to allow Nigeria's hydropower plants to continue to function optimally.

Minister of Power, Mr. Sale Mamman
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 4:29pm On Mar 17, 2020
Bluffly:
One of our problem is distribution facility. The DF we have are in shambles hence most time Discos reject from Gencos. If Discos are serious they should look into their distribution facilities so they can take more from Gencos and thereby making more profit

If NERC allowed them to charge cost-reflective tariffs, and frankly so many people stop stealing electricity, and the government MDAs and the military, police and uniformed services pay their bills, then perhaps the DISCOs will have the resources to invest (or the balance sheet to secure debt capital) to upgrade their distribution facilities. Even the local akara seller doesn’t sell her akara for less than the beans and oil cost.
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 4:33pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:
They're free to break agreements because it made in the 1970s. Lol was that written in the agreement? They clearly not paying up as you see with that debt.

Not sure I am getting your point...
But can clearly see that you badly fail to understand my post (even on NL, it still pays to comprehend before comment).

Of course, one can always terminate or revise agreements as conditions warrant or change...
But I fail to see how that vitiates my clarification to those commenters wondering why we supply electricity to our neighbors. SMH
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Blue3k(m): 4:40pm On Mar 17, 2020
9jaRealist:

Not sure I am getting your point...
But can clearly see that you badly fail to understand my post.

Of course, one can always terminate or revise agreements as conditions warrant or change...
But I fail to see how that vitiates my clarification to those commenters wondering why we supply electricity to our neighbors. SMH
>

Dont play dumb. Your excuse to why is false. Nigeria has no to obligation since they're not keep their end of the aggreement. They haven't paid bills and they're building a dam. Nigeria is simply doing this because they feel it's economically beneficial to supply them.

@9jaRealist edit post

According to Mamman, the power sale from Nigeria to Niger Republic was based on bilateral agreement on basis of the construction of dams along River Niger.

He noted that some concessions were given to some countries along River Niger for Nigeria to supply them power, adding that these countries are not allowed to construct dams along the waterways to allow Nigeria's hydropower plants to continue to function optimally.

Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by ganiyu26(m): 4:45pm On Mar 17, 2020
Must that be a reason to over charge us here...God is watching u all
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 4:50pm On Mar 17, 2020
Obiaksnews:
The electricity problem in Nigeria would continue to linger except the operators start seeing the provision of such basic amenity as a service to the people rather than a favor to the people, the companies in-charge prioritize their services to high cashment areas while leaving areas without much economic activities to darkness even when they are willing to pay.

It is NOT a “service”....
But an economic GOOD that costs lots of money to generate, transmit and distribute.

Until Nigerians quit seeing electricity as something owed to them and start paying for it, we will remain doomed to darkness...
Irony is that folks who do not want to pay cost-reflective tariffs to DISCOs will freely spend LOTS MORE money on gens and diesel. Penny wise.
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 4:53pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:

Dont play dumb. Your excuse to why is false. Nigeria has no to obligation since they're not keep their end of the aggreement. They haven't paid bills and they're building a dam. Nigeria is simply doing this because they feel it's economically beneficial to supply them.

@9jaRealist edit post

Perhaps because I just don’t understand gibberish...
But don’t get the point that you are struggling to make by reposting and highlighting a post that merely reaffirms what I wrote. SMH
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 4:57pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:

@9jaRealist edit post

Rather rich from someone who just edited his own post to add that... grin grin grin

Dude, I merely modified my post to add the parenthetical part soliciting that you comprehend before comment, as you seem to be laboring under an increasingly considerable basic comprehension deficit. If you don’t understand, it’s okay to say so or simply do not comment. Cheers.
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Blue3k(m): 5:01pm On Mar 17, 2020
9jaRealist:

Perhaps I just because I don’t understand gibberish...
But don’t get the point that you are struggling to make by posting and highlighting a post that reaffirms what I wrote. SMH
>
9jaRealist:

Problem is that Nigeria agreed to provide some of these countries with electricity in EXCHANGE for them agreeing not to dam the River Niger upstream (which would adversely affect river flow to our major hydro plants).
>

Lol maybe you're not playing dumb afterall. Take your time you'll eventually figure it out. You lied claiming the agreement is what forces Nigeria to sell power. The agreement is no longer a factor since they're violating every term of it. That excuse no longer makes sense.

If Nigeria wants to cut them off to supply Nigerians they can do so. They simply dont wish to at this time.

The Kandadji dam will be constructed on the Niger River, 187 and 489 kilometers upstream from the capital city, Niamey, and the Nigerian border respectively, and 60 km downstream from the Malian border.

Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2020
Perfecttouchade:
Yet we dey suffer electricity....no impact of independence at all since we decided to celebrate and support selfish greedy leaders ...so make we go hold them to pay ?
NairaMaster1:
And the didn't cut their lights but Musa will rush to cut our own over 2000 naira here
TGMISKY:
So we can give other countries light without cutting their wire for a year if they are owing? I just owed for 3 weeks and they cut my line. My kidney is paining me
omolakaka:
NEPA go dey ginger to cut my light because of #2,500 oya mk dem go cut light for Niger ,Benin and Togo.useless people
Kennitrust:
And we no get peace for owing 1k here in our own country... undecided
Ghostmode2two:
Will the electricity workers disconnect these 3 countries and fold their wire. Nonsense people
zizzyblog:
We give them electricity but we don’t have... Is Nigerian government not amazing ? Good day sir
Charly68:
Foreigners are owing up to that figure and you are mounting tariff pressure on the citizens..! These people are very wicked ,why not go and recover the debt from the two nations
WILLuKPquiet:
Why sell electricity when we don't have enough
Jamorezzi:
None of my business, because even we the sharers of electricity cant even enjoy it .
ugbarreta:
God punish all these useless leaders we have here! They r supplying energy to international customers 247 light and are depriving us even 3hrs light everyday and when we refuse to pay, they'll will carry their ladder and disconnect us. That is why Nigeria is a perpetual under developed country. Hunger virus is killing us why we have the most expensive useless parliament, that are brain dead. Nonsense
ugbarreta:
gaskiyamagana:
Nawa for naija fefu. Useless government, useless policy makers. Courtesy of corruption, they love their neighbours more than themselves.
enemyofprogress:
We dey do father Christmas when people at home are suffering
Hades2016:
We give them electricity but we don’t have... Is Nigerian government not amazing ? grin
Gundel001:
our country is doing power charity for another country vwhen it citizen are yet to even benefit from the power
JVector:
And we still put them on priority grid to own detriment.
Farki:
This thing had started long before Buhari. Right from the time of Obasanjo we have been selling our power to neighbouring countries and there have been complaints about payments.
Thecvbankng:
You haven't ensured stable electricity supply to your citizenry and businesses but you're selling to neighbouring countries. Naija sef grin
Emerihx:
Why would Nigeria give these countries electricity when we haven't settled our own
gbemmyjoseph:
They enjoy what we give them than we the owner.
seedorfg:
Imagine even we that give electricity don't have not to talk of stable power.

These neighboring countries pay for the electricity that they get from us in HARD CURRENCY (and probably at more commercial rates), which is probably why they are struggling to pay. But, over the years, they have ultimately settled their respective bills (albeit sometimes only after we threaten to disrupt supply and/or cut them off).

Nonetheless, this arrangement is not a charitable one but rather strategic. It is basically an agreement by Nigeria to supply electricity to some of these neighbors in exchange for an agreement by them not to dam the River Niger upstream, which would adversely affect some of our hydro plants (at a time that Kainji was our main source of electric power).

Personally, I am all for keeping these arrangements going. Nigeria has more than enough energy resources to not only fully electrify itself but to export electricity, thereby further diversifying our sources of revenue and earning more forex.
>

1 Like

Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 5:28pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:
Lol you're maybe your not playing dumb afterall. Take your time you'll eventually figure it out. You lied claiming the agreement is what forces Nigeria to sell power. The agreement is no longer a factor since they're violating every term of it. That excuse no longer makes sense.

If Nigeria wants to cut them off to supply Nigerians they do so. They simply dont wish to at this time.

Well, the way you keep regurgitating and reposting the same gibberish, your EXPERTISE is undoubted... grin grin grin

9jaRealist:

>

>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Blue3k(m): 5:30pm On Mar 17, 2020
9jaRealist:

Well, the way you keep regurgitating and reposting the same gibberish, your EXPERTISE is undoubted... grin grin grin
>

Repeating your lies to anyone who swallows them is your mission in life? Lol the agreement is not an exuse in Niger Republics case. Tag everyone in the thread so they all know hear.

Lol your hard currency excuse doesn't cut it either. Nigeria could benefit more simply supplying power to Nigeria domestically.
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 5:37pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:
Repeating your lies to anyone who swallows them is your mission in life? Lol the agreement is not an exuse in Niger Republics case.

Tag everyone in the thread so they all know hear.

While repeating unintelligible gibberish is apparently your own mission in life? grin grin grin
>
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by Blue3k(m): 5:42pm On Mar 17, 2020
9jaRealist:

While repeating unintelligible gibberish is apparently your own mission in life? grin grin grin
>

I can edit my post. You cant refute my facts. Again tag everyone in the thread so everyone can hear your lies. Your hard currency excuse doesn't cut it either. Nigeria could benefit more simply supplying power to Nigerians.
Re: Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity by 9jaRealist: 5:49pm On Mar 17, 2020
Blue3k:
I can edit my post. You cant refute my facts. Again tag everyone in the thread so everyone can hear your lies. Your hard currency excuse doesn't cut it either. Nigeria could benefit more simply supplying power to Nigerians.

Yet more unintelligible gibberish... grin

Nigeria can proverbially chew gum and walk at the same time...
Earning forex from electricity exports is NOT mutually-exclusive with supplying power to Nigerians. SMH
>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Saraki: When I Become President, All My Ministers Of State Will Be Under 35 / Minister-Designate, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo Resigns From The House Of Reps / Nenadi Usman Makes Part Refund.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.