Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament (1201 Views)

Festac Town Business Owners Lament Extortion By FIRS Send SOS To FG, Lagos Govt / Lagos Stadium: Business Owners Lament Seven-day Eviction Notice / #Xenophobia; Tight Security At Shoprite Lekki As Shop Owners Count Loses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by oshozondii: 6:06pm On Mar 18, 2020
Most customers bet on European major leagues, not South America ― Stakers

COVID-19 has made us broke ― Customers

Bet shop owners in Calabar, the Cross River state capital, have raised the alarm over the devastating effect of coronavirus (COVID-19), on their businesses.

They lamented that the ban on major leagues in Europe has taken a downturn on their businesses as most of their customers no longer patronise them.

Speaking with Vanguard, a bet shop owner at Etta Agbor, Mr Pascal Bajie said the effect of the ban by major leagues in Europe due to COVID-19 has dealt a death blow on their business.

Bajie added that many of his colleagues in the business have closed shop since the beginning of this week as patronage was now at its lowest ebb.

His words: “We thought it was a joke last month when it got to Nigeria, but it becomes obvious that our business will be affected when major leagues in Europe and Asia started suspending games.

“It became worse last week when French League 1, EPL, La Liga and many other leagues and other major competition started suspending games and sporting events already scheduled with many customers staking millions of naira on it.

“I must be honest with you, things have really changed, many of my colleagues have closed their shops coupled with the fact that we use generator most times. I survive majorly on Play Station, PS4, PS3 which you cannot compare to stakes by bet customers,” he bemoaned.

Another bet shop owner at Harcourt by Target Street, Calabar South, Mr John Ita told Vanguard that since the suspension of the major European leagues, he has been depending on customers who play “virtual games.”

“It is very difficult to run the business now, a lot of people don’t like playing or staking South American leagues even if they do many who put money on European leagues, most of their games have been placed on hold or they cash out.

“This COVID-19 is really affecting our economy and many businesses like ours, most bets shops are closing up already, since Sunday patronage has really dropped, Ita lamented.

When Vanguard visited some of the bet shops, at Etta Agbor, Atimbo and Harcourt Street, many of the shops were almost empty unlike before when those places were a beehive of activity.

A customer, Obongette Asuquo, said he cannot afford to play a virtual game or bet in the South American league because he was not familiar with it.

“The virtual games are too risky and expensive to play and I am not familiar with the South – American leagues, I stick to what I know, I hope the EPL, French League 1, La Liga comes back as soon as possible this COVID-19 is killing us, this is the only business I invest in, on a daily basis and cash out too without much stress,” he said.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/03/covid-19-we-now-survive-on-virtual-bet-ps4-%e2%80%95-bet-shop-owners-lament/amp/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Re: Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by Froshloaded: 6:07pm On Mar 18, 2020
grin grin
Imagine
Re: Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by Kingosytex(m): 6:08pm On Mar 18, 2020
I met my friend last night at a Bet9ja shop and I was surprised to see him playing the virtual bets that he has never played.

Beta matches no dey and guy man must rise.... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by Davash222(m): 6:20pm On Mar 18, 2020
Virtual soccer aka Baby is deadlier than coronavirus. In ten minutes, the 10K in your hand fit remain like 350.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by Kingosytex(m): 6:21pm On Mar 18, 2020
Davash222:
M

See them... space bookers.

Re: Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by GamalNasser: 6:23pm On Mar 18, 2020
The world knows what to do but won't ...Turn 5g signals off now !!!!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by rottable(m): 7:15pm On Mar 18, 2020
Man must survive
Re: Coronavirus: We now survive on virtual bet, PS4 ― Bet shop owners lament by Humphrizy(m): 7:19pm On Mar 18, 2020
Eeeheya...atleast Egbon Titus go save up his wages and take care of his family

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Loan With Gocash / Dangote Refinery: Nigeria Can Save Over $3bn Annually From Product Importation / Learn Foodstuff Business For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.