Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? (402 Views)

Hepatitis B; From A Medical Laboratory Scientist Perspective / 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) / Heartbreaking Moment Of 104 Years Old Scientist On His Way To Suicide Clinic(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 20, 2020
Is our scientist doing anything? Or they are waiting for Trump to announce the vaccine for C- virus
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by atiku4President(m): 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2020
Do you have light to power any laboratory in Nigeria for 10 uninterrupted hours? You think lab work is break and quench?
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by olexjay(m): 2:25pm On Mar 20, 2020
The question is that are our laboratory well equipped to be used in carrying out experiments?

Are our scientist well paid to work tirelessly to develop something out?

A country where our politicians prefers traveling overseas to receive treatment was that encouraging to our scientists to work things out
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by RapistOnBail: 2:31pm On Mar 20, 2020
Call on you gods to save you.

Hypocrites!
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by Babatunde40(m): 3:02pm On Mar 20, 2020
supportnija:
Is our scientist doing anything? Or they are waiting for Trump to announce the vaccine for C- virus

Bro what do you mean by scientist? There are different types of scientists. Now my question to you is this: What kind of scientist are involved in the research to find the cure for coronavirus?
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by googi: 5:07pm On Mar 20, 2020
While I understand your frustration, we still have some of the most brilliant medical and social scientists in the world but they are not well managed because our value system is warped.

Every one is after money and the easiest way to it are politics and other nefarious activities.

During Ebola crisis, Nigeria Minister of Health Onyebuchi Chukwu decided to pursue NanoSilver. The President of Nigeria has Ph.D in Zoology.

Do you expect our scientists to go back to their families and say: honey, I treated some patients for free today but I have no money for food and pay rent. But do each of us have to be highly educated as nuclear scientists to pay for food or rent? We have to change our attitude towards money and salaries. Scandinavian countries do not pay according to education. Russian space scientists are not the best paid.

Anyone that went to school with Onyebuchi Chukwu would tell you he was one of the most brilliant professional any country can produce during Ebola. Yet, his colleagues in Lagos rejected his NanoSilver. The President, a highly educated man could have rejected it. But this is the game we play in Nigeria to survive.

Nigeria, at least in the old Western Region had history of achievement on meagre income from Cocoa.

Please stop talking about laboratories and equipment when you know we have the biggest laboratory in the whole world: our Rain Forest. This was where professors that taught us sciences overseas came every summer to Research.

As for equipment. After 60 years we cannot produce Bursen Burner or Petro dish locally?

Until we realize that the way to money and respect is not about how educated you are but what we can achieve with that education locally, our frustration will go on.

Nigerians are the best, we only need to channel our God given talents locally. Nigeria is the best case to learn that money, without skilled managers is a curse.

olexjay:
The question is that are our laboratory well equipped to be used in carrying out experiments?

Are our scientist well paid to work tirelessly to develop something out?

A country where our politicians prefers traveling overseas to receive treatment was that encouraging to our scientists to work things out

1 Like

Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by olexjay(m): 6:01pm On Mar 20, 2020
googi:
While I understand your frustration, we still have some of the most brilliant medical and social scientists in the world but they are not well managed because our value system is warped.

Every one is after money and the easiest way to it are politics and other nefarious activities.

During Ebola crisis, Nigeria Minister of Health Onyebuchi Chukwu decided to pursue NanoSilver. The President of Nigeria has Ph.D in Zoology.

Do you expect our scientists to go back to their families and say: honey, I treated some patients for free today but I have no money for food and pay rent. But do each of us have to be highly educated as nuclear scientists to pay for food or rent? We have to change our attitude towards money and salaries. Scandinavian countries do not pay according to education. Russian space scientists are not the best paid.

Anyone that went to school with Onyebuchi Chukwu would tell you he was one of the most brilliant professional any country can produce during Ebola. Yet, his colleagues in Lagos rejected his NanoSilver. The President, a highly educated man could have rejected it. But this is the game we play in Nigeria to survive.

Nigeria, at least in the old Western Region had history of achievement on meagre income from Cocoa.

Please stop talking about laboratories and equipment when you know we have the biggest laboratory in the whole world: our Rain Forest. This was where professors that taught us sciences overseas came every summer to Research.

As for equipment. After 60 years we cannot produce Bursen Burner or Petro dish locally?

Until we realize that the way to money and respect is not about how educated you are but what we can achieve with that education locally, our frustration will go on.

Nigerians are the best, we only need to channel our God given talents locally. Nigeria is the best case to learn that money, without skilled managers is a curse.

I can understand your analysis but you've said it all, everything shouldn't be about money but still these people need the money, scientist in western countries earn good money you can do your findings about that and I'm so sure you know cuz from your point I'm so sure you're exposed, everything shouldn't be set on money but basic things could be implemented with the help of money, most advance countries the students who become scientist today have access to so many facilities which enhance their knowledge to know more and some of those students grew up and graduated to become a volunteer scientist just to be of benefit to their society. Now think about this, he decided to return to the society due to what he benefit from the government and at the end his offer will be noticed and crowned but here if you can't travel abroad to school then I'm scared you won't know more practicals and now you've to spend just to learn more and you expect such student to come back and start giving what he invested on freely to a society and government which would never give a regard?
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by ajasay3030(m): 6:28pm On Mar 20, 2020
sadly, out scientist that should be working on this are hungry and do not even have the required equipment to carry out researches. I do not blame them; we all know who to blame.
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by googi: 6:43pm On Mar 20, 2020
Olexjay,

I completely agree with you here and I used the example of physician that cannot pay his rent or put food on the table.

The solution right now is not more of the same dependency on foreign exposure. I regret that I and many others left Africa thinking our salvation would come from exposure. There is nothing wrong with exposure and collaboration with foreign minds but it must be done with us putting our own God-given creativities and talents on the table to work for us locally.

How can a professor be teaching me what I failed to take advantage of in my own Continent?

Herbert Macauley, Nkrumah, Ikoli, Zik and Awo studied abroad and saw the Hypocrisy of those who only see us as economic tools to make money. Our grandfathers fought in WW1and WW2 to liberate Europe but not Africa.

The solution right now that will benefit us is to deescalate our foreign dependency and rely on whatever meagre income we can generate and live within our means. Our salary structure needs to change to emphasize needed skill trades like those we copy overseas.

We are borrowing upon borrowing to pay salaries we cannot afford, neglect simple infrastructure like water, solar energy and agriculture we can start with locally to be self sufficient.

Even when we produce more rice, it became more expensive than Foriegn Rice. My brother, there is something you and I know is wrong. How long are we going to postpone solutions?
Re: Is Our Scientist Doing Anything? by olexjay(m): 7:58pm On Mar 20, 2020
googi:
Olexjay,

I completely agree with you here and I used the example of physician that cannot pay his rent or put food on the table.

The solution right now is not more of the same dependency on foreign exposure. I regret that I and many others left Africa thinking our salvation would come from exposure. There is nothing wrong with exposure and collaboration with foreign minds but it must be done with us putting our own God-given creativities and talents on the table to work for us locally.

How can a professor be teaching me what I failed to take advantage of in my own Continent?

Herbert Macauley, Nkrumah, Ikoli, Zik and Awo studied abroad and saw the Hypocrisy of those who only see us as economic tools to make money. Our grandfathers fought in WW1and WW2 to liberate Europe but not Africa.

The solution right now that will benefit us is to deescalate our foreign dependency and rely on whatever meagre income we can generate and live within our means. Our salary structure needs to change to emphasize needed skill trades like those we copy overseas.

We are borrowing upon borrowing to pay salaries we cannot afford, neglect simple infrastructure like water, solar energy and agriculture we can start with locally to be self sufficient.

Even when we produce more rice, it became more expensive than Foriegn Rice. My brother, there is something you and I know is wrong. How long are we going to postpone solutions?
you're making sense with your word my brother and I can figure out the point which you're trying to bring out, well I accepted the fact that our past leaders put us on a wrong path but still yet our current leaders ain't helping the situation, I vividly heard sometimes ago where a Nigerian come up boldly that he tried to develop a cure to hiv/aids but our boss at the health sector condemn the research by saying it's a mixture of local substance (herbs) which are not recognized or could be accepted by nafdac and other world organizations. Something like this will stop other people who has the dream or wish to channelize their energy in developing something that will help and benefit the country and even the world cuz even the government or the researcher has make the idea dead on its arrival instead of them helping in a way to package it so that it could be accepted so I think of our government is ready to patronize our homemade stuffs then our scientist also could sit together and rebrand their idea of going deeply on developing something yieldy and great.. That's my view

(1) (Reply)

You can use this site to track all current Coronavirus cases worldwide / What To Do If You Suspect You Have Coronavirus / Kano Bans Luxurious Buses Entry Into The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.