Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) (2034 Views)

Tomi Coker: 104 COVID-19 Cases Were Discovered In One Company In Sagamu / Daniela Trezzi: Italian Nurse Commits Suicide. Tested Positive For Coronavirus / 5-year-old Australian Girl Grew Breasts At 2 And Started Her Period At 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by BrainnewsRadio(f): 2:04pm On May 10, 2018

A 104-year-old Australian scientist who travelled to Switzerland to end his life committed assisted suicide on Thursday, a Swiss foundation said.

David Goodall, who had been barred from seeking help to end his life in his home country, did not have a terminal illness but said his quality of life had deteriorated significantly and that he wanted to die.

Goodall “died peacefully” in Basel, tweeted Philip Nitschke, founder of Exit International, the organisation which helped Goodall make the journey from Australia.

The death occured at 10:30 GMT from an infusion of Nembutal, a barbiturate, at the Life Cycle clinic, he said.

The honorary research associate at Perth’s Edith Cowan University set off from Australia a week ago, and stopped in Bordeaux, France to see family before arriving in Basel on Monday.

“I no longer want to continue life,” Goodall told journalists on Wednesday.

“I am happy to have the chance tomorrow to end it, and I appreciate the help of the medical profession here in making that possible,” he said.

The 104-year-old said he hoped the widespread interest in his case would spur Australia and other countries to rethink their legislation.

“I would have preferred to have (ended) it in Australia, and I greatly regret that Australia is behind Switzerland” when it comes to right-to-die laws, he said.

Goodall secured a fast-track appointment with the foundation in Basel after he attempted but failed to commit suicide on his own earlier this year.

“It would have been much more convenient for everyone if I had been able to, but unfortunately it failed,” he said of the suicide attempt.

But he said he was happy that he had been offered the “Swiss option”, since he has been able to see most of his large family, which is spread over several countries, in the run up to his final day.

Assisted suicide is illegal in most countries and was banned in Australia until the state of Victoria became the first to legalise the practice last year.

But that legislation, which takes effect in June 2019, only applies to terminally ill patients of sound mind and a life expectancy of less than six months.

According to Swiss law meanwhile, anyone who is of sound mind and who has over a period of time voiced a consistent wish to end their life can request so-called assisted voluntary death, or AVD.

Asked on Wednesday if he had any hesitations or doubts, the 104-year-old said: “No. None whatsoever.”

In assisted dying, the person must be physically capable of carrying out the final deed on their own.

In Goodall’s case that meant he had himself to open the valve that allowed the short-acting barbiturate to mix with a saline solution and flow into his vein. (Daily Nation, AFP)

See More Of His Photos Below;

Source: https://www.brainnewsradio.com/104-year-old-australian-scientist-commits-assisted-suicide/

Lalasticlala
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by BrainnewsRadio(f): 2:04pm On May 10, 2018
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 10, 2018
F
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 10, 2018
Is this suicide or not?
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Oluwasaeon(m): 2:12pm On May 10, 2018
igbodefender:
Is this suicide or not?
Assisted suicide. He asked to die. He said he wasn't enjoying his life again.
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:18pm On May 10, 2018
He'll be greatly missed
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Okoroawusa: 2:18pm On May 10, 2018
wow,naija never reach this level
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 10, 2018
Oluwasaeon:

Assisted suicide. He asked to die. He said he wasn't enjoying his life again.
I know, but I'm just wondering how Angel Michael the Keeper of the Gate of Heaven will see it. Technically, he did not take his life.

1 Like

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Holywizard: 2:50pm On May 10, 2018
Heaven or hell embarassed
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by adadike(f): 2:51pm On May 10, 2018
This world, na wa o! Some people were not even given the chance to get to adolescent age , some did not even enjoy life before they die, now see a man that lived to a ripe old age begging to die to the extent he asked a fellow man to help him by killing him. No terminal illness , just that he want to die!
Baba God, pls pick my call. I want to live to a grand old age, at most 100 years, surrounded by my children to my third generation. let me live in good health of mind and body and with so much money, let me be able to touch peoples lives. Amen!

2 Likes

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by anibirelawal(m): 3:04pm On May 10, 2018
Should i say RIP or otherwise
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 3:09pm On May 10, 2018
Bubu should assist himself now lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Flyingngel(m): 3:17pm On May 10, 2018
people dey die like chicken for niaja but this man dey pay for death. na waoo, this life get as e b.
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Auladimeji(m): 3:33pm On May 10, 2018
Holywizard:
Heaven or hell embarassed
Wailai i no no

1 Like

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Bulletproof: 3:36pm On May 10, 2018
Irony of life!
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by KidsNEXTdoor: 3:39pm On May 10, 2018
Buhari should learn from this brave man

And stop wasting tax payers money

While his killer herdsmen terrorise the country
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Blackfire(m): 4:01pm On May 10, 2018
When u think u have heard the worst....
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Millz404(m): 5:00pm On May 10, 2018
Who will assist us with Buhari
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by telkevog(m): 5:06pm On May 10, 2018
Life is precious to God and should be valued and appreciated. Therefore taking ones or another's life amounts to lack respect and appreciation for that wonderful gift from our loving creator.

My verdict: Guilty!
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by junbi(f): 5:40pm On May 10, 2018
Goodbye sir embarassed
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by BlackPantherxXx: 7:13pm On May 10, 2018
That's my homie....a real O.G. Rest in piece, ma niggah.

grin
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by duduade: 7:36pm On May 10, 2018
I wish all our Nigerian politicians starting from The Senate will take a cue from this... We need them to commit assisted suicide and leave us in peace
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Nobody: 7:42pm On May 10, 2018
duduade:
I wish all our Nigerian politicians starting from The Senate will take a cue from this... We need them to commit assisted suicide and leave us in peace
It can never happen in Nigeria.
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Iceberg3: 9:42pm On May 10, 2018
BlackPantherxXx:
That's my homie....a real O.G. Rest in piece, ma niggah.

grin

Chaattaap dia! Which niggahh,he can never be your nigggah. He would have been your nigggaah if he had taken otapiapia,rat poison

Lzaa grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by BlackPantherxXx: 9:45pm On May 10, 2018
Iceberg3:

Chaattaap dia! Which niggahh,he can never be your nigggah. He would have been your nigggaah if he had taken otapiapia,rat poison

Lzaa grin grin grin

Take some laxatives...you sound constipated shocked

1 Like

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Iceberg3: 9:50pm On May 10, 2018
igbodefender:

Technically, he did not take his life.

Lying Mohammed angry

grin
Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by LZAA: 9:51pm On May 10, 2018
Iceberg3:

Lzaa grin grin grin
our able ratak ambassador
buhariguy wee not like this grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by Iceberg3: 9:53pm On May 10, 2018
BlackPantherxXx:

Mentalgrin

How was kirikiri? grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 104-year-old Australian Scientist Commits Assisted Suicide (see Photos) by LZAA: 9:53pm On May 10, 2018
BlackPantherxXx:

(1) (Reply)

Israeli Virus Not Chinese / Japanese Doctor Says: / Blood Pressure To Ages Chart!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.