Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,295 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel (2524 Views)

How Bribe For INEC By Diezani Through Fidelity Bank Was Shared - SR (pic) / I Was Offered Money To Rig Bayelsa Polls, Says INEC Chief / Arrest Order: Dasuki Replies Buhari, Says Panel Never Invited Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by koruji(m): 4:29am On Dec 27, 2010
Read and weep.

Yusuf Alli, Abuja 27/12/2010 00:18:00

OF THE the $182million Halliburton bribe, $5 million was allocated to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to finance the 2003 general elections; it was learnt at the weekend.

But it could not be ascertained how the cash disappeared after it was handed over to Mr. Bodunde Adeyanju, former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s personal assistant, by construction giant Julius Berger Nigeria Limited.

The suspects, facing a nine-count charge, are: Ibrahim Aliyu, Mohammed Gidado Bakari, Urban Shelter Limited, Intercellular Nigeria Limited, Sherwood Petroleum Limited and Tri-Star Investment Limited.

Adeyanju has been arraigned over the allegation. Six other Nigerians are on trial over the scandal.

The document is dated December 17.

Members of the prosecution team, who presented the document to the court, are the President of the Nigerian Bar Association, J.B. Daudu (SAN); E.C. Ukala (SAN); Damien D. Dodo (SAN) and G.O Obla.

Jefftrey Tesler, who distributed the bribe, approached a former Group Managing Director of the NNPC, Mr. Jackson Gaius-Obaseki, in London on his readiness to assist the PDP to win the 2003 poll.

The report reads: "Obaseki was introduced to Jeffrey Tesler by (the late) Aret Adams, a former GMD of NNPC, in London in 2000.

"Obaseki mentioned Tesler’s willingness to support financially the political process in Nigeria to Stockhauser, then Managing Director of Julius Berger Nigeria, during a golf game and wanted to know whether Stochauser was making the same offer.

"He later introduced the topic to Stochauser, based on requests made by Bodunde Adeyanju, an Assistant to President Olusegun Obasanjo, for funds to help PDP finance its campaign activities.

"In 2002 during one of his visits to London, Obaseki and Stochauser met Tesler and agreed that funds could be routed through Julius Berger Nigeria (JBN) Plc for the PDP.

"In 2002/2003, Obaseki introduced Adeyanju to JBN officials after he approached him to assist in raising funds for the PDP, which Adeyanju claimed was facing financial crises.

"In August 2002, the first fund transfer of $1million was made into JBN’s Union Bank account and four subsequent transfers of $1million each were made into the same account between January and April 2003, the total mount of which was $5million.

"After the funds were received by JBN Plc, Obaseki, Hans George Christ, Commercial Director of JBN and Adeyanju met at Obaseki’s room at Hilton Hotel, Abuja where the first tranche of $1m was delivered in cash to Adeyanju.

The Nation has stumbled on the report of the Halliburton Investigative Panel attached to the evidence submitted to the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory for the prosecution of six Nigerian suspects. It contains the alleged involvement of the ruling party.

"Two subsequent deliveries of funds from Tesler through JBN MD, with Obaseki’s knowledge, to Adeyanju were also made.

"Hans Christ personally delivered the last tranche of $1million in cash to Obaseki and Adeyanju after converting it to naira.

"Adeyanju admitted collecting $5million from one Chris, the Commercial Director of JBN Plc, and used the money to finance the PDP campaign during the 2003 elections.

"He received the cash in three tranches and handed over some of the funds to a former Minister, Lawal Batagarawa.

"Investigations further revealed that Adeyanju had over N40million lodged in his personal and company accounts with GTB and Skye Bank Plc."

The panel, highlighted the controversy over the $5million donation as it claimed that Batagarawa denied receiving any Halliburton bribe sum from Adeyanju.

The report goes on: "In his statement, Batagarawa said that funds for the President’s campaign activities were provided for by some prominent members of the PDP.

"Investigations revealed that no evidence exist to prove that $5million was actually given to him by Adeyanju for disbursement to the party hierarchy during the 2003 campaign.

"Batagarawa stated categorically that he received between N25million and N30million from both Adeyanju and a former Special Assistant (Domestic Affairs) to the ex-President, Dr. Andy Uba, while on two occasions, monies were collected by his orderly."

In a Statement of Facts from the US District Court (Southern District of Texas Houston Division) also filed in court by the Federal Government, it was confirmed  that about $1m in Pilot’s briefcase was handed over to an NNPC official in Abuja.

The extracts say: "In or about August 2002, an employee of the subcontractor, using funds that Consulting Company A had wire transferred to the Subcontractor, delivered a pilot’s brief case containing $1million in 100 dollar bills to the NNPC official at a hotel in Abuja, Nigeria for the benefit of a political party in Nigeria.

"In or about April 2003, an employee of the subcontractor, using funds that Consulting Company A had wire transferred to the Subcontractor, delivered a vehicle containing Nigerian currency valued at approximately $500,000 to the hotel of the NNPC official in Abuja, Nigeria for the benefit of a political party in Nigeria, leaving the vehicle in the hotel parking lot, until the NNPC official had caused the money to be removed."

As at press time, it was gathered that Obaseki and Batagarawa might not face trial because no cash was traced to them.

It was also learnt that since both Julius Berger Nigeria Plc and Adeyanju had admitted in writing to have exchanged bribe cash, Obaseki and some JBN officials may end up serving as prosecution witnesses.

A highly-placed source in the prosecution team added: "Do not forget that JBN admitted guilt and paid $26million fines. At worst, its officials could only serve as witnesses against Adeyanju and six others.

"The truth is that Obaseki did not collect a kobo from the bribe sum. So, he derived no personal benefit."
http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/22936.html
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by olabukola: 12:35pm On Dec 27, 2010
Weep not, Nigeria as it is will remain like this unless you all join Islam.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by HamidO1(m): 12:58pm On Dec 27, 2010
PDP has sold this country, They are worst than even the military rulers.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by DKBLUES(m): 1:16pm On Dec 27, 2010
olabukola:

Wat haz islam got 2 do wit diz topic.
Guy u'v got issuez ooo
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Opoki(m): 1:17pm On Dec 27, 2010
olabukola:

This has nothing to do with religion, It's a clear case of political distrust and extreme fraud.Its so so sad.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by deadie(m): 1:47pm On Dec 27, 2010
olabukola:

I doubt this F.O.O.L read the wikileaks report that show corruption up to the door of Ya'ardua. And as for your preaching for all to join Islam, I will - when I am ready to bring down a plane. But until then, take your Islam and shove it up your rear entry.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 27, 2010
Nt surprise, PDP as a party consist of rogues & thief.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by anonimi: 2:20pm On Dec 27, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM (and/or email) and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by jamest3(m): 2:29pm On Dec 27, 2010
The question is 'where did the $177 million go?', The answer will not surprise you!!
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by axeman85(m): 2:33pm On Dec 27, 2010
olabukola:

Am sure u r sitting down on ur brain which has refused you from speaking correctly instead ur showing what a rat assed, stupid daft, goat u are.

only God knows why ur brain dead self is bringing religion into this.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 27, 2010
@ topic ;stale news.
where are the previousely recovered loots,nonsenses ,another dancing round in circle in the making
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 27, 2010
nothing is actually new about this story
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 27, 2010
olabukola:

What a dumb statement from a dull mind! So, u mean Nigeria is corrupt because of the mixed religion.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by koruji(m): 3:34pm On Dec 27, 2010
Nigeria's problem is primarily that of low - and I mean low as in non-existent standards of governance. Obaseki & JBN were front and center in this whole business, but look at the last lines telling us they are not going to pay for these sins because - because THEY ARE TOO BIG TO PROSECUTE LIKE THEIR GOD-FATHER OBJ:

After the funds were received by JBN Plc, Obaseki, Hans George Christ, Commercial Director of JBN and Adeyanju met at Obaseki’s room at Hilton Hotel, Abuja where the first tranche of $1m was delivered in cash to Adeyanju.

Two subsequent deliveries of funds from Tesler through JBN MD, with Obaseki’s knowledge, to Adeyanju were also made. Hans Christ personally delivered the last tranche of $1million in cash to Obaseki and Adeyanju after converting it to naira.

I am sure we have laws that strictly prohibit both JBN's & Obaseki's actions here, but instead they are going to go scot free. . . Adeyanju is the scapegoat. The rest live to corrupt another day!

A highly-placed source in the prosecution team added: "Do not forget that JBN admitted guilt and paid $26million fines. At worst, its officials could only serve as witnesses against Adeyanju and six others. [size=14pt]The truth is that Obaseki did not collect a kobo from the bribe sum. So, he derived no personal benefit.[/size]

In a more responsible country the mere participation in bribery of this high nature is enough to send you to prison for a long time. Haliburton did not pay the bribe in the US but has coughed out almost 3 times the total bribe in fines. Even if we only half-way apply the law on the books in Nigeria to these thieves they would not see the sun shine for a while.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by nethacker(m): 4:20pm On Dec 27, 2010
olabukola:

my friend will u shut dat ur silly,smelling thing u call a mouth? angry angry if u hv nothing 2 say,jst go to hell. rubbish!! angry

9ja matter no dey surprise me again grin grin
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Orikinla(m): 5:30pm On Dec 27, 2010
Until we vote out the PDP Nigeria will remain corrupt and poor.
11 YEARS OF THE RULING PARTY IN POWER IS WORSE THAN ALL THE PAST MILITARY REGIMES COMBINED.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 27, 2010
nethacker:

my friend will u shut dat your silly,smelling thing u call a mouth? angry angry if u hv nothing 2 say,jst go to hell. rubbish!! angry

9ja matter no dey surprise me again grin grin
^^^ not enough reason to say another should shut up and not contribute
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 27, 2010
cicilia ibru got six months jail term for a N190b fraud,bode george got 2 years for his own,this is just $5m(N750,000,000.00) so cool down guys nothing major will come out of this issue
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by koruji(m): 5:59pm On Dec 27, 2010
I agree that PDP needs to be kicked out, but won't go as far as saying PDP is worse than all the military regimes either individually or combined - you could say that in some aspects but not in general. The role of our military now is to secure the peace both internally and externally, but never to usurp power again.

We are making progress even though it doesn't appear to be so. This process that we are going through is exactly what military intervention prevented us from passing through, thus making the problem worse. We could have solved all these issues back in the 1970s one way or the other - when the nation & its citizens were still relatively innocent. Thanks to more than 30 years of military misrule it is now 1000 times more difficult.

The joker is this: PDP is actually the military in toga - so we are actually comparing different forms of the same group of people. No wonder they are not too different.

Orikinla:

Until we vote out the PDP Nigeria will remain corrupt and poor.
11 YEARS OF THE RULING PARTY IN POWER IS WORSE THAN ALL THE PAST MILITARY REGIMES COMBINED.

Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by OchiAgha2(m): 6:01pm On Dec 27, 2010
I hear bad news about Nigeria each day, that I have become numb to the problems.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by koruji(m): 6:02pm On Dec 27, 2010
And that's the problem!!!

Nothing major ever happens to people responsible for the most crucial impediment to our collective well-being.

One day would be one day.

aguiyi:

cicilia ibru got six months jail term for a N190b fraud,bode george got 2 years for his own,this is just $5m(N750,000,000.00) so cool down guys nothing major will come out of this issue
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Yeneks(f): 6:15pm On Dec 27, 2010
Na today? I'm not even surprised, 11 yrs in power, imagine?!?! I'm finally of voting age but what difference does that make if my votes will never count?, Mtchhw. I weep!
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2010
Yeneks:

Na today? I'm not even surprised, 11 yrs in power, imagine?!?! I'm finally of voting age but what difference does that make if my votes will never count?, Mtchhw. I weep!
weeping will not make any difference,just conive with ur friends and own a consensus candidate who will bless u from his settlements when he finally fails at the polls and the bribery and corruption will continue with the merry going round grin grin grin grin
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Yeneks(f): 7:53pm On Dec 27, 2010
aguiyi:

weeping will not make any difference,just conive with your friends and own a consensus candidate who will bless u from his settlements when he finally fails at the polls and the bribery and corruption will continue with the merry going round grin grin grin grin

Loolz! You give me jokes hehehe! But really, i wish we could change, sad
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Harus(m): 8:13pm On Dec 27, 2010

What does bribery has to do with being a muslim?
Abacha, IBB, Abdulsalam and others are all muslims but yet they are corrupt.

I guess u dont even understand ISLAM. Who knows, may be u are not even a muslim?
U are only trying to cause disunity among Nigerians.

I am a muslim and I slam preaches peace.
People like are the ones making christains see ISLAM as a religion of violence.

[size=8pt]U are an ignorant in ISLAM.[/size]
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by Yeneks(f): 8:34pm On Dec 27, 2010
olabukola:

Sorry but that's the most foolish thing i've read today, i feel like my IQ just dropped angry
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by redsun(m): 8:36pm On Dec 27, 2010
Harus:

What does bribery has to do with being a muslim?  
Abacha, IBB, Abdulsalam and others are all muslims but yet they are corrupt.    

I guess u dont even understand ISLAM. Who knows, may be u are not even a muslim?
U are only trying to cause disunity among Nigerians.

I am a muslim and I slam preaches peace.
People like are the ones making christains see ISLAM as a religion of violence.

[size=8pt]U are an ignorant in ISLAM.[/size]

Maybe he wants the taliban style islam in nigeria,Even dem ones self(talibans) are drug dealers and paedophiles.Agents of doom.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by redsun(m): 8:42pm On Dec 27, 2010
Are u guys just realizing nigeria is a failed state?For obasanjo with his criminal and dubious records to have ruled that country for eight years means no other thing but army arrangement,gangsterism in the name of democrazy.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by akwaowoudo(m): 5:57am On Dec 28, 2010
Nigeria: a country with multiple problems but only a definition.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by jokingmary(m): 11:49am On Dec 28, 2010
People's Definite Problem (P.D.P)
RABBISH angry angry
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by NAJALYN: 12:25pm On Dec 28, 2010
The cleansing process for Nigeria is on, until all the rotten eggs are removed from power. God must do it for us.
Re: Pdp Got $5m Halliburton Bribe For 2003 Polls, Says Panel by NAJALYN: 12:27pm On Dec 28, 2010
The cleansing process for Nigeria is on, until all the rotten eggs are removed from power. God must do it for us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ngige Suffers Yet Another Disaster As Another Strong Backer Backs Off / BEHOLD: The MKO Abiola International Airport, Osun (under Construction) / Power Sector Reforms: FG Ready For Saboteurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.