Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 (5581 Views)

Jonathan’s Biggest Economic Mistakes — Pat Utomi / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 / Ekwunife Declares To Vie For Anambra Guber Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 7:53pm On Dec 27, 2010
Pat Utomi officially declares to run as a Presidential Candidate in the 2011 Elections

Nigerian politician, Patrick Utomi recently officially declared to as a Presidential Candidate in the 2011 Elections via a declaration on Silver Bird Television minutes ago. He announced that he will be running as an aspirant under the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties. More details as the story unfolds.

http://www.citizenscentral.com/2010/12/pat-utomi-official-declares-to-run-as-a-presidential-candidate-in-the-2011-elections/
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by thweraja10: 7:57pm On Dec 27, 2010
Well we all know this man cant enter but thank God he said he wont be discouraged that he will keep on trying,
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 7:59pm On Dec 27, 2010
I wish him luck. In an advanced democracy, this man may have a chance. Sadly, Nigeria stifles some of its greatest minds.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:06pm On Dec 27, 2010
@Ochi_Agha,

Well said. I campaigned tireslessly for him during the last elections and I am right behimd him again. Just like you have said, we always fail to use the sharpest tools in our boxes, why I dont know.

I am yet to work out a theory as to why when the brightest and the best amongst us choose to stick out thier neck and get involved, we just dont believe in them.

See, Wole Soyinka, the same thing happened when he declared, people were more interested in commenting on how he stand very little chance, rather than standing behind him.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Becomrich12: 8:08pm On Dec 27, 2010
he would not win,
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:10pm On Dec 27, 2010
So we now vote for people irrespective of what they stand for, but because we think they can win, and we want to belong to the winning team?
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 8:10pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg, I would support him. Even though my vote would probably not matter, he still has my support. I like his ideas and what he stands for. And you cannot expect much from the corrupt PDP.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2010
Issues
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

We all know that Nigeria is broken. We've seen our leaders more interested in personal profit than national progress. We've seen our families' welfare take a back-seat to corruption and patronage.

But it doesn't need to be this way. We can turn the corner. This is the election where we all stand-up together and demand a government that works for the people, not the powerful; that requires transparency and holds our leaders to account; that invests in our country's ability to produce goods, generate jobs, and create wealth among all people and in all regions.

It is time for change. It is time for a new Nigeria:

A new level of transparency in Nigeria. We seek the reform of our democratic system to ensure full transparency and accountability. Machine politics and the God father syndrome manipulate the system, producing leaders with no connection to the governed who proceed to use government to build up personal wealth. Only by being open and transparent, can we ensure that our government policies reflect the will of the people and the best interests of our nation. We will require all budgetary records and leaders' personal financial disclosure forms be posted on the government website, open to investigation by journalists, political organizations, and ordinary Nigerians. We will ensure the passage of the Freedom of Information (FOI) bill, and when passed sign it with immediate dispatch.

A new political ideal in Nigeria. Our leaders need to be servants to the people, committed to shared ideals and honest, open government. The term ‘servant leader’ has to be used genuinely as a manifestation of an intention to serve the people and not just campaign rhetoric to be discarded after being sworn into office.
A new political discourse in Nigeria. Our debates can't center on empty promises and division. The fact is that we're all in this together. Only by coming together and having an honest debate over our policies and future, can we escape our collective struggle.

A new class of leaders. We can't expect the same corrupt players to take us in a new direction. We need to bring into political life a new class of leaders – people of integrity and proven track records of service, honor, and competence. We need a democratically elected team that will collaborate, poll their intellectual capabilities, and make a road map for progress in Nigeria. We need the best and brightest to accomplish a quantum leap in progress that can take Nigeria from "Paradise deferred" to "Paradise reclaimed". We seek to draw from the "Principled Centered School" of leadership in preparing a legion of people of character as new leaders who are passionately committed to the advancement of the Common Goodwill of our national endeavor.

A new grassroots in Nigerian politics. We need a movement of millions of young people that collectively stand-up and say "enough is enough." We need to take politics away from the corrupt elites and give it to the people. We need a new generation of Nigerians to demand change, to take responsibility, and to become the foundation for a new Nigeria – a generation that passes on a better nation to its children.

A new ear to the people. Let them participate. Open up the halls of government. We need to encourage our average citizens to communicate with their leaders. By implementing new technologies via the Internet, we can help Nigerians organize and have their voices heard by our government. And we will invest in building capacity at local government. There needs to be a real link between our representatives and their constituents.

A new role for women. We seek to effectively empower half of our population, the women, beyond tokenism, to affect and influence our politics. These are our mothers, sisters, daughters – they too demand a say in changing our country and building a new Nigeria that works for all of us.
A new respect for ALL Nigerians. Despite our differences—in religion, socio-economic status, region, age, language, and sex—the simple fact is that we're all in this together. We will lay the framework for responsive governance, recognizing human freedom, the solidarity that flows in our humanity. While we understand the importance of affirmative action, we expect it to be unnecessary as we invest in education – the great equalizer.

A new philosophy for government. We will introduce a government philosophy which builds an effective partnership between government, the private sector and social civil society. In the past, government was a hurdle to cross – a bribe to pay or a broken utility to replace. But with openness and transparency, a real investment in our infrastructure, reasonable regulation, and a strong respect for the rule of law, we will foster enterprise and create an environment for business to flourish.
A new role in Africa and the World. We seek to restore dignity to Africa's place in the world through giving voice to an educated and enlightened people in World Affairs. And by providing commerce with the rule of law, transparent government, and a forward-looking infrastructure, we can become globally competitive.

Culled from Utomi for Nigeria
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Olaedo1: 8:18pm On Dec 27, 2010
I don't think he gives the proper thinking needed in politics,as far as time goes. You can't continue to run for president during every election, it brings down your value. Instead she should have ran for senate or something down that like.Governor of Delta state.Build up his rapport a little bit more. I really think this is a bad move.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2010
Ola, you do bring up a good point though. Even though Pat Utomi is seen as a good guy, I do think he does lose some value as he runs for president in each election. I don't want him turning into the Ralph Nader of Nigeria.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2010
@Ochi_Agha,

Very nice, a man with a clear vision and a good heart. He has my vote anyday. Knwoing that my vote represent selflessness and progress for the common man
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 8:23pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Ochi_Agha,

Very nice, a man with a clear vision and a good heart. He has my vote anyday. Knwoing that my vote represent selflessness and progress for the common man

Yes a very symbolic vote. However, I think he could be put to better use if he starts locally and works his way up. They may be the best route for him to take.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Faeb: 8:24pm On Dec 27, 2010
Pat Utomi needs to learn to work the grassroots. He is like an iroko with without any roots.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Becomrich12: 8:24pm On Dec 27, 2010
ola I get you. Pat utomi looking everytime he comes out.  You dont want to be like some of this nigerian.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:26pm On Dec 27, 2010
But guys as far as I remember , this is the second time he has run, so has Buhari and probably others. He is entitled to run as far as his desire and will carries him. he is passionate about making change, and very determined to be involved in the process. The same sort of determination that is lacking in a lot of us, that we so easily give up and allow the evil that has plagued us for so long to persist.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by kcjazz(m): 8:27pm On Dec 27, 2010
Mr. Utomi can't win an election even on a level playing field. You do not decide to run for President, 4 months to elections. This is in a country of 150 million people. For the progressives that want to win an election, they need a careful laid out plan that would take 2-4 years in order to reach out to the voters. Good intentions alone don't win elections. Why he has not figured this out, baffles me.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Olaedo1: 8:28pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg:

But guys as far as I remember , this is the second time he has run, so has Buhari and probably others. He is entitled to run as far as his desire and will carries him. he is passionate about making change, and very determined to be involved in the process. The same sort of determination that is lacking in a lot of us, that we so easily give up and allow the evil that has plagued us for so long to persist.

We are in support of him but political calculation is extremely important.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:30pm On Dec 27, 2010
I do conceed that maybe the bottom up approach might have been useful, but that is supposing we had a proper electorial process which we dont have. And under what party in the first place. Beside those who have been involved for so long have not done any good. So the experience in this case may not have been entirely relevant. He is approaching it from the same level as Ribadu
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 8:32pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg:

I do conceed that maybe the bottom up approach might have been useful, but that is supposing we had a proper electorial process which we dont have. And under what party in the first place. Beside those who have been involved for so long have not done any good. So the experience in this case may not have been entirely relevant. He is approaching it from the same level as Ribadu

Grassroots campaigns would be the best in his case. If you have the support of the common people, then you may have a chance. The good people of Nigeria need to understand that they have the power to create change in Nigeria. The elite are not going to work on behalf of them. Pat Utomi needs to become a man of the people.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:34pm On Dec 27, 2010
@KcJazz,

PU has been laying the foundation for well over 2yrs. most other candidates have only just declared as well.

See, what i often say, is that we as Nigerians always look for excuses why the best man should not win. why are we so scared of trying something different, especially as the different shows good promise.

Same thing has been said about, Wole Soyinka, Ribadu, Donald Duke. So who do Nigerians really want. I just dont get it
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:38pm On Dec 27, 2010
@Ochi_Agha ,

He has been doing this as far as I understand, but the problem still remains the bread garri and rice politics we are so used to in Nigeria. It is so difficult for the common man to understand policies that would benefit him, as far as they are concerned, once every 4yrs politician turn up with bag of rice and tomatoes to canvass votes, now is this how we agree we must reach the common man? or do we stand to be accused of the same thing the others are doing?
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Faeb: 8:39pm On Dec 27, 2010
Pat Utomi is fatally flawed, because he can't reach out to the grassroots. He is wasting his time with serial declarations of interest.
He is a good man, yes, but he isn't a people person.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 8:43pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Ochi_Agha ,

He has been doing this as far as I understand, but the problem still remains the bread garri and rice politics we are so used to in Nigeria. It is so difficult for the common man to understand policies that would benefit him, as far as they are concerned, once every 4yrs  politician turn up with bag of rice and tomatoes to canvass votes, now is this how we agree we must reach the common man? or do we stand to be accused of the same thing the others are doing?

All politics are local my friend. In free and fair elections, Pat Utomi would have to do that. People like to look out for their own interest. If he needs to give the regular man bread, garri and rice, then so be it. Once you get in office, then you can enact the policies that can help the regular man. The trick is to getting the votes so that you can be put in office. I do not think he has won the hearts and minds of the common man. His support base is among the educated class. If you go on his facebook account, many of his supporters are in the Diaspora, not in Nigeria. I bet 75% of Nigerians have never heard of Pat Utomi.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 27, 2010
were are the moderators of this thread. THE TITLE ON THE INDEX PAGE CONTRADICTS THAT ON THE THREAD. pat utomi has contested for presidency b4 and can therefore not be starting his presidencial career,however,he is bound to lose again as he lacks the experience to handle such a position (he should win a local govt seat first and stop hopping around)
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:50pm On Dec 27, 2010
@Ochi_Agha,

True, maybe there is room to reach out a bit more, But he was extremely popular in Lagos, where people understood what he was saying.

Like I said this issue is not unique to Pat, See Donald Duke and Wole Soyinka suffering the same fate. What I see here is that We are an inhereantly politically lazy bunch. We are not prepared to do the things necessary to set our country on the right path. We want the easy way out

@Beaf,

Please define the people person.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Ymodulus: 8:52pm On Dec 27, 2010
Is he contesting as a representative of the IGBOs or those Yorubas or the HAUSAs , i want to know. Because i wont advice him contesting without siding a tribe.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 8:53pm On Dec 27, 2010
I hear this lack of experience issue and in gets on my goat. Can Someone please point out any of the candidates with experience that did well at thier local level. Just 1 candidate?
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by kcjazz(m): 8:54pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg:

@KcJazz,

PU has been laying the foundation for well over 2yrs. most other candidates have only just declared as well.

See, what i often say, is that we as Nigerians always look for excuses why the best man should not win. why are we so scared of trying something different, especially as the different shows good promise.

Same thing has been said about, Wole Soyinka, Ribadu, Donald Duke. So who do Nigerians really want. I just dont get it

What foundations has he been laying? I respect Mr. Utomi but like I said the planning should include the media and letting people know what he is up to. Are you saying if I go to the streets of Kano, the youths/adults would know who Utomi is?
When I talk about planning it includes different things from meeting with interest groups, opinion leaders, volunteering and the most important campaign funding. I feel the political field is not level for the smaller candidates in terms of finance and we need legislations that would help with that.
How many offices does his party have?
It is a lot of work, I know but sadly that is how he can by-pass the problem of winning an election when you are the under-dog. I admire Ribadu tactic but even with him I felt he started late but he has built some momentum, which is key for opinion leader and king maker support.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 8:56pm On Dec 27, 2010
Ymodulus:

Is he contesting as a representative of the IGBOs or those Yorubas or the HAUSAs , i want to know. Because i wont advice him contesting without siding a tribe.

He is not contesting as a representative of any tribe. The man doesn't see through a tribal lens, but that is expected of a Delta Igbo though.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Yeneks(f): 8:57pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg:

I hear this lack of experience issue and in gets on my goat. Can Someone please point out any of the candidates with experience that did well at thier local level. Just 1 candidate?
Yep, I second that!!
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by OchiAgha2(m): 9:01pm On Dec 27, 2010
monkeyleg, I understand your frustration with some of the people who have responded. However, me personally, I feel he should join a party that is known nationally. (not PDP) Currently, his name is bigger than the party he represents.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 9:04pm On Dec 27, 2010
Listen people, If we want change we must support those who have decided to stick thier necks out in Wild West Nigeria, believe me it is not as easy and we think. All he probably asks from us is support, not hole picking. I doubt the other candidates have done any better. We are here comparing him to those who have used means you and I dont approve of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos To Get 60 Ferries As Fashola Inspects Prototype In Australia / Heavy Biafran Protest Ongoing At Aba,all Activities Shut Down. [PHOTO] / The Richest Yoruba Man In Nigeria: Top 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.