Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Nigeria Languages And Ethnic Groups (discussion Board) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Languages And Ethnic Groups (discussion Board) (492 Views)

Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 / Wike Tells Other Ethnic Groups In Rivers Ntoor ?!!¡¿!? / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Languages And Ethnic Groups (discussion Board) by NubaVertigo(m): 2:16am On Mar 25, 2020
I keep entertaining the thought of which division scheme would have been best for helping Nigerians both understand ourselves and live together in peace. I ran into this article online and thought I'd share. I personally think it's the best thing I've found on the topic and think Nigeria would have been better if it was thus divided:

The True Picture Of The Nigerian Situation And The Final Solution
opera.comJan 3, 2020 1:09 AM
There are 15 ethnic nations in Nigeria ,not 700 tribes like Nigerians claim. There's no such thing as tribe, there are communities.

Igbo ,Calabarians,Yoruba,Hausa/Fulani,Ijaw,Nupe ,Gbagyi,Kanuri,Angas,Urhobo,etc. are all ethnic nations which each contain communities with dialects . For example ,Ekid or Ibibio are communities and dialects of Calabar ; Ngwa ,Ikwerre ,or Onicha are Communities and dialects of Igbo ; Illaje or Ijebu are communities and dialects of Yoruba; Manga or Yerwa are communities and dialects of Kanuri ,etc.

Through out Nigeria's history , kanuri,Nupe,Igbo,Ijaw ,Angas,Yoruba,and Fulani have produced either military or democratic heads of state. With that,it's clear that power has circulated and not concentrated on one ethnic nation like many Nigerians claim . The misconception stems from the fact that most Northern Nigerians erroneously view the entire south as one people ,while the south erroneously view the entire north as Hausa/Fulani.

Nigeria is a country of 15 ethnic nations forcefully merged as one by colonial powers ,and it's important to take that into perspective when analyzing the result and current situation of Nigeria.

Nigeria is stagnant not only because of corruption ,but because of the unitary system .True federalism(Autonomy for all ethnic nations) is the only solution, and with that it wont matter what ethnicity the presidents are from .

One of the premise behind calls for disintegration of Nigeria is the erroneous belief that the Hausa/Fulani or northern Nigeria dominates and benefits from Nigeria without any contributions,but a closer look at that suggest the north is not more developed than the south and what most Nigerians view as domination or marginalization ,I view as just one big mess with no outright beneficiaries. The truth is the northern Nigeria contributes it's quota through 90 percent of Nigeria's agriculture. And in the south ,Only Calabar(akwacross) and Ijaw contribute the majority . Although that does not negate the fact that the best system of government for Nigeria is True federalism.

The idea behind Niger delta republic or Biafra are baseless and outdated . There are only ethnic nations contained within Nigeria,and each of these ethnicity deserve the right to autonomy . But I've observed that the ethnicities are not united within , and so I advise that each ethnicity first work on internal unity,then they can have diplomatic discussion and negotiations for autonomy or referendum .

Highlight :

1. No one is benefiting from the current Nigerian system .It's a lose lose for all ,but it's a bigger loss for Akwa ibom,Bayelsa ,rivers and Delta states.

2. Best system is true federalism. All ethnicity should be autonomous states with control of their resources and development

3. The ethnicity in Nigerian are internally divided and need to first unite in order to forge common front for peaceful negotiations on autonomy or secession

Source: http://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/1b5fc50c9b4ade288912e237271fe676?client=news

Re: Nigeria Languages And Ethnic Groups (discussion Board) by Nobody: 3:25am On Mar 25, 2020
-

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Languages And Ethnic Groups (discussion Board) by valirex: 8:10am On Mar 25, 2020
Beachside:
Lol,I actually wrote that with my previous "BeachTime" account . I was surprised and amused to recently find most of my long comments and threads on this forum on Nigerian blogs, though no credits are given. Glad you found it interesting.
I'm always open to reason with all contrary opinions .

Ok I believe Itsekiri should also be with Edo. Their King has confirmed it before
Re: Nigeria Languages And Ethnic Groups (discussion Board) by NubaVertigo(m): 2:10am On Mar 26, 2020
Beachside:
Lol,I actually wrote that with my previous "BeachTime" account . I was surprised and amused to recently find most of my long comments and threads on this forum on Nigerian blogs, though no credits are given. Glad you found it interesting.
I'm always open to reason with all contrary opinions .

Lol, no contrary opinions, I just want to know where you found that book

(1) (Reply)

Between Social Distancing And Gathering Of 20 / ASUU Strike : Seperating Fact From Fiction / Buhari Declares Curfew In Lagos, Ogun And Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.