Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,827 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (25083 Views)

Benue: Fr. Alia Presents Certificate Of Return To Tor Tiv And Ochi’idoma / Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 10:41pm On Oct 26, 2019
According to CIA book of facts, the Hausa-Fulani remain the most populous ethnic group in Nigeria by far, constituting over 30% of Nigeria Population. Igbos at 14.1% are the second most populous ethnic group, while the Yoruba at 13.9% are the third.

However, the big surprise is the fact that Ibibio/Tiv at 2.2% each and not Ijaw at 2.0%, are considered the most populous groups outside the traditional tripod.

Additionally, Nigeria is largely an Islamic country , with Muslims making up 51.6% of the population, in contrast to the 46.9% of the Nigerian citizens who are Christians. The other significant group are the traditionists who make up 9% of the population.

Nigeria as you can see from the above figures is an overtly religious country with an insignificant number of agnostic/atheists.

Let the discussions , calculations and permutations begin.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.htm

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:42pm On Oct 26, 2019
pazienza:
According to CIA book of facts, the Hausa-Fulani remain the most populous ethnic group in Nigeria by far, constituting over 30% of Nigeria Population. Igbos at 14.1% are the second most populous ethnic group, while the Yoruba at 13.9% are the third.

However, the big surprise is the fact that Ibibio/Tiv at 2.2% each and not Ijaw at 2.0%, are considered the most populous groups outside the traditional tripod.

Additionally, Nigeria is largely an Islamic country , with Muslims making up 51.6% of the population, in contrast to the 46.9% of the Nigerian citizens who are Christians. The other significant group are the traditionists who make up 9% of the population.

Nigeria as you can see from the above figures is an overtly religious country with an insignificant number of agnostic/atheists.

This statistic is absolute bullshit. There is no way in hell Hausas & fulanis combined can equal the population of Yorubas & Igbos combined, let alone only Hausa being equal to Yoruba & Igbo combined.

Also, muslims can never be the majority in Nigeria.
In Southern Nigeria, only in Oyo & Osun states are muslims up to half/more of the population, meanwhile you have Northern Nigeria where Benue, Plateau, Taraba and FCT are predominantly/overwhemingly christian, and Kogi, Nasarawa, Adamawa & Kaduna states as around a 50/50. Then Borno, Kebbi, Niger, Gombe & Kwara who have at least 25-40% of it's population as christian.

With this, how on earth can muslims be a majority in Nigeria? Americans should shove up that stupid and useless statistics up their asses.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ayzTIGER: 11:46pm On Oct 26, 2019
Don't believe everything from these people

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:53pm On Oct 26, 2019
pazienza:

Also, I am sure these dumb American statisticians must have estimated states like Bauchi & Yobe to be Hausa, otherwise, there is no way Tivs & Ibibios could really be more than Kanuris in the real sense.
Besides, are they counting Efiks, Annangs & Oros as Ibibios? Cos most of these tribes reject and hate to be called Ibibios.

Of course, there is no way Ijaw can be the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria when Tivs & Kanuris are there or if Ibibio/Efiks are considered as one tribe.

Lastly, can Igalas really be more than tribes like Nupe, Gbagyi & Urhobo in population? I doubt.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Blue3k(m): 12:02am On Oct 27, 2019
Who cares about CIA estimates. The FG needs to conduct a census it's been over a decade since the last one. It's dumb NASS isnt making a big deal about this.

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:05am On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

This statistic is absolute bullshit. There is no way in hell Hausas & fulanis combined can equal the population of Yorubas & Igbos combined, let alone only Hausa being equal to Yoruba & Igbo combined.

In Southern Nigeria, only in Oyo & Osun states are muslims up to half/more of the population, meanwhile you have Northern Nigeria where Benue, Plateau, Taraba and FCT are predominantly/overwhemingly christian, and Kogi, Nasarawa, Adamawa & Kaduna states as around a 50/50. Then Borno, Kebbi, Niger, Gombe & Kwara who have at least 25-40% of it's population as christian.

With this, how on earth can muslims be a majority in Nigeria? Americans should shove up that stupid and useless statistics up their asses.
You again.i dont have the energy but i agree with you that christians are slightly more than muslim but you must agree with me that hausas alone without fulanis are the largest group followed by the yorubas and ibos at 22%,20% and 18%.the fourth largest are the fulanis at about 10%.fifth should be kanuris before the tivs.the ijaws are next before ibibios,nupes,igalas,gwaris,urhobos,binis not far behind.please dont argue with this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by gidgiddy: 12:15am On Oct 27, 2019
The fourth largest ethnic group? It has to be between Ibibios, Ijaws and maybe Kanuri

I dont think Tiv is large enough to make the 4th list

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:16am On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Also, I am sure these dumb American statisticians must have estimated states like Bauchi & Yobe to be Hausa, otherwise, there is no way Tivs & Ibibios could really be more than Kanuris in the real sense.
Besides, are they counting Efiks, Annangs & Oros as Ibibios? Cos most of these tribes reject and hate to be called Ibibios.

Of course, there is no way Ijaw can be the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria when Tivs & Kanuris are there or if Ibibio/Efiks are considered as one tribe.

Lastly, can Igalas really be more than tribes like Nupe, Gbagyi & Urhobo in population? I doubt.
There partially right sha but based on my estimation there more kanuris than tivs.am sure there are lumping all efik speaking people like annang,oron as ibibio which is wrong.but nothwithstanding,the ibibios are top ten.they dominate akwa ibom.there the largest non indigenous tribe in cross river and 2nd largest in rivers.i think the igalas should be between 1-1.5 million.nupes and gwaris should be between 1.5- 2 million same as urhobos.ibibios are above 2 million.ijaws are the 6 or 7 largest between 3.5-5 million.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:19am On Oct 27, 2019
gidgiddy:
The fourth largest ethnic group? It has to be between Ibibios, Ijaws and maybe Kanuri

Ibos are the third largest.fourth is fulanis if we arent lumping them with hausas.the tivs are more numerous than ibibios and ijaws or maybe equal

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by horsepower101: 12:35am On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Makes a lot of sense.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by horsepower101: 12:37am On Oct 27, 2019
gidgiddy:

I think they are including Kanuris with Hausa numbers.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by horsepower101: 12:40am On Oct 27, 2019
I am sure the igbos numbers don’t include all igbos in Nigeria.

Igbos are spread out everywhere and the ones in the south south tend to be omitted on purpose.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by NASTYNASOSO: 1:18am On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

HMMMMMM

IF YOU DON'T CHANGE

YOU WILL NEVER FIND KNOWLEDGE.
YOU WILL REMAIN A DUNCE
YOU WILL REMAIN A LAZY YOUTH
DEVELOPMENT WHATSOEVER WILL REPEL YOU.
YOU WILL FOREVER REMAIN HALF BAKED.
SIMPLY YOU ARE JUST USELESS

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by NigeriaIsDoomed: 1:42am On Oct 27, 2019
mimimile93:
HOW DOES THIS CHANGES THE FACT THAT NAIJA WOMEN ARE HOES?
IMAGINE YOUR HORRIBLE ENGLISH grin grin MADMAN YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR SISTERS ARE HOES NOT NIGERIAN WOMEN.
I SPIT ON THAT YOUR EMPTY HEAD!

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Emyogalanya: 2:23am On Oct 27, 2019
Whats havsa - fewlani pls use Knife cut them into two lets see

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Emyogalanya: 2:34am On Oct 27, 2019
gidgiddy:

point of order. in all Honesty i think fulani is the fourth largest if you know what i mean. You of all people should know this

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:30am On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

You again.i dont have the energy but i agree with you that christians are slightly more than muslim but you must agree with me that hausas alone without fulanis are the largest group followed by the yorubas and ibos at 22%,20% and 18%.the fourth largest are the fulanis at about 10%.fifth should be kanuris before the tivs.the ijaws are next before ibibios,nupes,igalas,gwaris,urhobos,binis not far behind.please dont argue with this.

My friend my friend.
I agree with your analysis of the minorities.
Kanuris truly come first before Tivs, then Ijaws and Ibibio-Efik cluster.

However, I think Gbagyis should come first before Nupe & Igalas.
Nupes can only be equal to Gbagyis if you include the Nupe speaking tribes like Bassa, Kakanda, Kupa, Ganagana & Dibo (found in Kogi, FCT & Nasarawa). Some people from these tribes reject Nupe identity and some accept.

Gbagyis are the majority in 15 LGAs of Nigeria and minority in 5 LGAs.

Nupes are majority in 11 LGAs of Nigeria while Nupe speaking tribes are majority in 1 LGA and minority in 3 LGAs.

Igalas are majority in 8 LGAs and minority in 3 LGAs.
If you include the 6 Igala speaking towns across the Niger in Edo, Delta & Anambra and the ones in Enugu, then Igalas become a minority in 8 LGAs.

Many Kanuris (in Bauchi & Jigawa) and Gbagyi muslims in Niger state are heavily loosing their languages and cultures to Hausa and this could be the reason people underrate their populations.

I know LGAs are not exactly a reflection of population, however, they give a great picture.

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 11:43am On Oct 27, 2019
Igbos are the second most populous

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:49am On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

As for Hausas being larger than Yorubas and Igbos. It depends if you include the Hausanized fulanis of the Northwest and the Hausanized tribes of Bauchi as Hausas.

Otherwise, if you do not include the Hausanized Fulanis and Hausanized Bauchi tribes, then there is absolutely no way that the pure Hausas alone can outnumber the Yorubas & Igbos.

See, only 5 states of Nigeria have Hausas forming up to 90% of their population and these are (Sokoto, Zamfara, Kano, Katsina & Jigawa). Then you have (Kebbi & Kaduna) where Hausas are up to 50% each. Full stop!
Every other state you find Hausas in Nigeria, they are settlers and not aboriginal to those places.
Mind you, these 7 states I mentioned above are also shared heavily by Hausanized Fulanis and even Pure Fulanis.
Considering something like this. How then on earth can pure Hausas be more than Yorubas & Igbos?

Emyogalanya:
point of order. in all Honesty i think fulani is the fourth largest if you know what i mean. You of all people should know this
garfield1:

Ibos are the third largest.fourth is fulanis if we arent lumping them with hausas.the tivs are more numerous than ibibios and ijaws or maybe equal

Fulanis can only be the 4th largest in Nigeria, if you are including the Hausanized Fulanis of the Northwest. Otherwise, if it is just the Pure Fulanis of the Northeast and the herdsmen, they cannot be more than Kanuris, Tivs, Ibibio-Efiks e.t.c

And if you want to include Hausanized Fulanis as Fulanis, then Hausa ceases to be the largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
These things are simple things. Many people don't know the demography of the North and that is why they overrate the Hausa population.

Just like the Hausas, Igbos have 5 states and 35- 50% of the population in Delta & Rivers states.
Yorubas have 6 states + 75% in Kwara & 20% in Kogi.

Pure Hausas can never ever be more than both tribes. Don't let anyone deceive you.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by kotv: 11:54am On Oct 27, 2019
All the people commenting are contradicting themselves yet, claiming they know what they are talking about. I even saw someone mention that Tiv and Kanuri are more populated than Ijaw. There's too many children on this website

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 12:01pm On Oct 27, 2019
Igbos are the second most populous #Fact. If you include all the Igbo's in the North, SW, SS and SE then you will know this is that this is true.

Ewedu media busted again.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 12:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
gidgiddy:

My brother, you don't know Tiv oooooo! shocked
Tivs spread like wildfire just like the Fulanis. If not for Jukuns, Tivs would have almost overtaken Taraba state. These people are almost everywhere in Taraba. They are the strongest minority in almost every LGA of the state.

Same thing in the Southern parts of Nasarawa state and even Northern Cross River.

People consider them as non indigenes but they are in those places.

Tivs have ethnically absorbed the Etulo people (An Idoma speaking people), and many Igede people now speak Tiv as a fluent 2nd language and even 1st language.

Tiv towns are heavily populated and even in 2006 census, Tiv LGAs showed high population.
A LGA like Gboko up to 500,000 people and almost everyone there is Tiv. It is not the capital or even close to the capital Makurdi.

Tivs have not been in present day Nigeria for more than 500 years, but see how they managed to displace and cut off Kwararafan tribes with their spread. They are a people of Bantu origin and I don't think I need to remind you about the GREAT BANTU EXPANSION.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by sapoyoro(m): 12:14pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

lol...Lagos even has more Muslims than osun state..the ijebus and aworis are majority Muslim..
Muslim are slightly majority in sw..despite what you read on media,ondo and ekiti Muslims are not minority,both stated has overwhelming Muslim population...
I agree with the rest of your points.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 12:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
gidgiddy:

Did you just say MAYBE KANURI?

Southerners do not know the north and that is the problem.

Kanuris are the only minority group in Nigeria that always produce 2 governors unchallenged.
Kanuris are the majority in Borno & Yobe states and minorities in Bauchi & Jigawa states. They dominate like 30 LGAs in 4 different states.
Ijaws on the other hand dominate only 1 state and about 22 LGAs in 6 different states.

kotv:
All the people commenting are contradicting themselves yet, claiming they know what they are talking about. I even saw someone mention that Tiv and Kanuri are more populated than Ijaw. There's too many children on this website

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 12:31pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

There partially right sha but based on my estimation there more kanuris than tivs.am sure there are lumping all efik speaking people like annang,oron as ibibio which is wrong.but nothwithstanding,the ibibios are top ten.they dominate akwa ibom.there the largest non indigenous tribe in cross river and 2nd largest in rivers.i think the igalas should be between 1-1.5 million.nupes and gwaris should be between 1.5- 2 million same as urhobos.ibibios are above 2 million.ijaws are the 6 or 7 largest between 3.5-5 million.

Yes you are right. Kanuris could be more than Tivs.
Please, there are no Ibibios in Cross River state. It is the Efiks that are in Cross river.
If Ibibios are on their own, they would be at the level of Igalas, Idomas, Urhobos, Bini BUT if they are merged with the Efiks, Annang & Oro, they would be at the level of Tivs & Kanuris.

For me, I think Igalas, Gbagyis, Nupes, Urhobos, Idomas, Binis and even Esans & Ebiras are around 2-3 million people each.
While Ibibio-Efiks, Kanuris, Ijaws & Tivs are around 5 million people each.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by edoairways: 12:32pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

CIA and you are wrong. Nigeria lack adequate database hence what we see online are estimates.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:33pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

As for Hausas being larger than Yorubas and Igbos. It depends if you include the Hausanized fulanis of the Northwest and the Hausanized tribes of Bauchi as Hausas.

Otherwise, if you do not include the Hausanized Fulanis and Hausanized Bauchi tribes, then there is absolutely no way that the pure Hausas alone can outnumber the Yorubas & Igbos.

See, only 5 states of Nigeria have Hausas forming up to 90% of their population and these are (Sokoto, Zamfara, Kano, Katsina & Jigawa). Then you have (Kebbi & Kaduna) where Hausas are up to 50% each. Full stop!
Every other state you find Hausas in Nigeria, they are settlers and not aboriginal to those places.
Mind you, these 7 states I mentioned above are also shared heavily by Hausanized Fulanis and even Pure Fulanis.
Considering something like this. How then on earth can pure Hausas be more than Yorubas & Igbos?

Fulanis can only be the 4th largest in Nigeria, if you are including the Hausanized Fulanis of the Northwest. Otherwise, if it is just the Pure Fulanis of the Northeast and the herdsmen, they cannot be more than Kanuris, Tivs, Ibibio-Efiks e.t.c

And if you want to include Hausanized Fulanis as Fulanis, then Hausa ceases to be the largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
These things are simple things. Many people don't know the demography of the North and that is why they overrate the Hausa population.

Just like the Hausas, Igbos have 5 states and 35- 50% of the population in Delta & Rivers states.
Yorubas have 6 states + 75% in Kwara & 20% in Kogi.

Pure Hausas can never ever be more than both tribes. Don't let anyone deceive you.
lets forget about pure hausa or impure hausa.lets look at hausa in general to avoid confusion.forget about whether a tribe are settlers or not in an area,we are looking at their total population in nigeria.if a tribe choose to become hausa,then there are hausa.even among the yorubas and ibos,we have lot of smaller tribes who assimilated into them.if you look at the history of the yorubas,a large part of lagos,ondo,kwara and other smaller tribes were lived at the borderland of yorubaland were originally not yorubas but with years of interaction,they were yorubanized.
If you also look at the history of the igbos,most of the tribes in ebonyi and parts of abia were not igbos but gradually became igbonized over the years.it is common with all large ethnicities,their culture will always swallow and dominate the smaller cultures near them so please leave the controversial aspect of pure and impure.thats why you have a lot of dialects within one ethnicity.
Am aware that hausas do not have a state they wholly dominate but in all the states of the northwest,there the largest group while the fulanis are minorities except in gombe and adamawa and taraba where's there the numerous groups.even in my state cross river,a lot of tribes who are classified as efiks are originally not efik.even in akwa ibom,if you disswct the ibibios,you will be shocked but lets leave that side.

Ibos make up 35% or more of rivers but not delta.the urhobos are the largest in delta followed by the igbo speaking tribes.not all the tribes in delta north are even igbos.lets say 30% or less.so,we go by my estimation.hausas,yorubas and ibos and fulanis.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 12:38pm On Oct 27, 2019
sapoyoro:

lol...Lagos even has more Muslims than osun state..the ijebus and aworis are majority Muslim..
Muslim are slightly majority in sw..despite what you read on media,ondo and ekiti Muslims are not minority,both stated has overwhelming Muslim population...
My man relax with this type of talk.

Ijebu majorly Muslim kee or is it because the current Awujale is Muslim?

We have ijebu igbo, ijebu ode, ijebu water side, Epe Ijebu, ijebu remo and ijebu ife

I believe only some side in ijebu Ode have a very large percentage of Muslims.

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by edoairways: 12:39pm On Oct 27, 2019
The last population census was in 2006 showing about 140 million. From that year till date, our population figure was estimated as 180m without actual head count.
Secondly, since our population figure are mere estimates, other demographic features are likewise.
Hence relying on this information alone is absurd

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 12:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
sapoyoro:

True, I know Lagos indigenes are mostly muslim, but the conversion rate among them over the years have been very very high.

Another thing is that too many Yorubas from other states now live in Lagos and claim Omo Eko. I think if you count all the Yorubas in Lagos, christians are the slight majority. If you now add the Igbos and SS people living in Lagos, Okpari.

Bro, muslims are a minority in Ondo and much smaller minority in Ekiti, same thing in Kogi west. Most Ondo sub tribes and kingdoms are christian.
Are you aware that most of the muslims in Ekiti are settlers from other Yoruba states? It is difficult to find an Ekiti indigene or indigenous town that is muslim originally.

I think Yorubas are a 50/50 today or slightly majority christian. But as of like 50 years ago, muslims had the overwhelming majority.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Walid Jibrin: My Life In Danger Over 2023 Presidency / IGR: Lagos Leads As FCT Beats Rivers, Kano, 33 Others / Fayose Is An Ingrate - Bode George

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.