Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,607 members, 7,823,639 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? (4121 Views)

Kogi Will Overtake Lagos In Terms Of Development – Yahaya Bello / Anambra’ll Soon Overtake Lagos As Top Investment Destination, Obiano Boasts / Abuja's Population Set To Overtake Lagos, Ibadan, Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 12:47am On Mar 29, 2020
scholes0:

It does not matter how you measure the different towns and cities within an urban agglomeration, you will always come up with the same results, either you measure them individually and then add them up or you measure them all at once (if you have the time, consistency and patience to do so) it is maths, it can't be cheated. The map is there nau, we shouldn't even be arguing you can measure it yourself and post what you arrive at here. Infact, it took me about 30 minutes plus to carefully outline Abuja and all the outlying surrounding towns, if I didn't have the ample time on my hands due to the present coronavirus situation + weekend, I would have preferred to do them individually and them add them together like your friend did because If I (or anyone measuring measuring) wasn't being careful about it, I/they would run the risk of adding a lot of uninhabited/non built up areas to Abuja due to how disconnected the entire area is (like you rightfully said)

2: Kuje town if you insist is only about 22kmSq. All those areas you mention can't not be more than 50kmSq put together, and that's pushing it. You are forgetting that the difference between Ibadan and Abuja in my measurements was more than 130 good Kms Squared.
And if are adding all those areas like Kuje to Abuja, then I better start adding Idi Ayunre, Badeku, Igbonna even Iwo, Ikire to Ibadan because that is exactly what it would mean.

Ibadan is clearly larger than Abuja but for whatever reason, you just don't want to accept. Notice that you keep pushing the limits of what is within Abuja to record distances but still fall short in the end. Small thing now, you will ask us to take the measurement of Abuja down to Keffi.

This below was my measurement of 4 major suburban areas that make up Abuja metro. It is far more precise than yours where you joined so many disjointed urban areas with too many pins that one cannot even see the lines between the pins, and mind you Karshi was not included in my measurement of Karu Urban. Karshi is just a stonethrow from Orozo. Uke was not also included and Uke is the last suburb of Karu immediately after Masaka.
Between Uke & Keffi is 20km² and you have 4 small towns in between Uke & Keffi. Uke to Keffi on that express is like 10 mins. Keffi will merge into Karu in the next 5 years.

So you can see that Gwagwalada, Bwari & Kuje combined are about 75km².
Mind you, I was just going through these measurements and I could also see that Gwaram (a suburb of Bwari was not added). Gwaska (a suburb in between Abuja Municipal & Madalla) was not added to either sides. And if we are now including Gwagwalada, what about the 4 communities in between Gwagwalada & Madalla and those between Gwagwalada & Kuje? I never added any of these.

The point is that, just the same way many places were not added to Ibadan in my measurement, many places as well were not added to Abuja.

Anyway, When you have the time. I'd like to see you divide the measurements of the 6 major towns/urban areas that make up Abuja metro, which are Karu urban, Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Suleja urban & Abuja Municipal.

I repeat, Ibadan can never be larger than Abuja metro. Ibadan only has the advantage of being one circular urban area, unlike Abuja that has 2 urban areas (Suleja & Karu) developing far into Niger & Nasarawa states along the roads to Keffi & Minna.

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 1:09am On Mar 29, 2020
scholes0:
If Aba and Port Harcourt are not as intertwined as you say, then how is Abuja and Gwagwalada considered intertwined. What is your defination of an interlinked urban area?
The volume of people who move between PH/Obigbo/Aba each day is far greater than that which moves between Gwagwalada or Suleja and Abuja. Yet one is measured together but the other is not?

The only reason your criteria is inconsistent is because poth PH and Aba are popular, but you want to subsume Gwagwa or Suleja under the name "Abuja" because they haven't made a name for themselves yet as cities? That is wrong sir.

Get this clear, a town or urban area being under another town's metro area is not based on popularity or unpopularity. It is based on the fact that one's growth is dependent, tied or influenced by the other.
Take Effurun (Uvwie), Udu and Warri proper for example. Effurun & Udu would have been no different from smaller towns like Orerokpe if not for Warri.
Warri developed into these places because Warri could not develop eastwards into the swamps/waters. Today, Uvwie & Udu are heavily urban and development has already started spreading into Ughelli south & Okpe LGAs.

Udu & Uvwie became what they are today because of Warri and that is why their existence and identity is tied to Warri.
Benin is just 1 hour away from Warri, but you can never go to a park in Benin and tell them that you want to travel to Udu or Uvwie, you will be seen as either a lost person or a mad person. You have to say you are going to Warri before anyone understands you!

But this is not the case for Ughelli. There is a separate vehicle and even separate parks in Benin that load to Ughelli and do you know that some parts of Ughelli are even closer to some parts of Warri than some parts of Udu are?

So, the question is why and how could Warri swallow up the identities of Udu & Effurun (Uvwie), but Warri can never try that with Ughelli?

The answer is very simple, WARRI GAVE BIRTH TO UDU & EFFURUN! Hence they are tied together and inseperable. The social life, worklife, businesses & economy of Udu & Effurun are tied to Warri.
Ughelli on the other hand has existed and developed to be an urban area of it's own without the influence of Warri. These things are very simple things.

Even if Warri and Ughelli merge in the nearest future, which they soon will, Warri will still never swallow up Ughelli's identity, it will never happen.

Warri & Ughelli are just like Aba & PH or Abeokuta & Lagos. While Abuja, Suleja, Karu, Gwagwalada e.t.c are just like Warri, Udu & Effurun.

Onitsha & Asaba are only separated by a river, just like Kaduna north & south, but they are not considered one Metropolitan or urban area, but had it been that Onitsha's development spread was what made Asaba what it is today, then Asaba would have been considered a part of Onitsha metro, cos it's existence would have been tied to Onitsha.

30% of what is known as Jos today is Bukuru, but imagine me going to a park in Lagos or Abuja or even Bauchi that is 1 hour away from Jos, and telling them that I want to travel to Bukuru. Will I not be deemed mad?
Bukuru was a small town of it's own very far from Jos main town in the past, but over the years, Jos developed into Bukuru and swallowed it up. Jos is about to or has already swallowed up Vom, Kuru, Zawan and even Du. These places originally have no business with Jos, they were small towns of their own.

Today you probably have more new houses being built in Bukuru than Jos proper where so many houses are old. But Bukuru would never have been what it is today without Jos!

If you still don't understand the differences then I give up.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Aladinn(m): 2:31am On Mar 29, 2020
It's been years i enjoyed an intellectual debate here on nairaland. Every bit of this discussion, for and against, were respectfully delivered. I was entertained and educated at the same time. Respect!

4 Likes

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by scholes0(m): 10:07am On Mar 29, 2020
Nowenuse:

This below was my measurement of 4 major suburban areas that make up Abuja metro. It is far more precise than yours where you joined so many disjointed urban areas with too many pins that one cannot even see the lines between the pins, and mind you Karshi was not included in my measurement of Karu Urban. Karshi is just a stonethrow from Orozo. Uke was not also included and Uke is the last suburb of Karu immediately after Masaka.
Between Uke & Keffi is 20km² and you have 4 small towns in between Uke & Keffi. Uke to Keffi on that express is like 10 mins. Keffi will merge into Karu in the next 5 years.

Mind you, I was just going through these measurements and I could also see that Gwaram (a suburb of Bwari was not added). Gwaska (a suburb in between Abuja Municipal & Madalla) was not added to either sides. And if we are now including Gwagwalada, what about the 4 communities in between Gwagwalada & Madalla and those between Gwagwalada & Kuje? I never added any of these.

The point is that, just the same way many places were not added to Ibadan in my measurement, many places as well were not added to Abuja.

Anyway, When you have the time. I'd like to see you divide the measurements of the 6 major towns/urban areas that make up Abuja metro, which are Karu urban, Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Suleja urban & Abuja Municipal.

I repeat, Ibadan can never be larger than Abuja metro. Ibadan only has the advantage of being one circular urban area, unlike Abuja that has 2 urban areas (Suleja & Karu) developing far into Niger & Nasarawa states along the roads to Keffi & Minna.

If you were verse in Geography, you would know that the more the pins, the more precise the measurement. That is why those days in geography class, it is advisable to use more grids and squares that less ones when measuring the area of a map or when transferring one map to another clean sheet because the smaller grids ensure greater accuracy. What you have done is what I call "wuru wuru to the answer", If I measure Ibadan or any other city the same why, I would arrive at an even greater figures.

Even in the the coastline measurement paradox, The use of more pins over a certain area ensures a better measurement of the actual reality instead of using broader stretches of lines at a time like you are doing.

[img]http:///65535/49711654567_d5195a031f_z.jpg[/img]

And even with your rough measurements and inclusion of controversial settlements like Gwagwalada into "Abuja", the entire area has only just equalled my intricate measurement of Ibadan. Do you want me to give you a jagged version of Ibadan's land area?
Give it up. Ibadan is clearly larger than Abuja, wether it is Abuja proper or Abuja plus allies.

6 Likes

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by scholes0(m): 10:18am On Mar 29, 2020
Actually, since you prefer less pins and actually like to see more distance between pegged points, Here is Ibadan measured in the same way you have done. And it is 1,032 km2 which is substantially larger than my previous more accurate measure. This method you prefer is highly inaccurate and can lead to errors of oversight.

[img]http:///65535/49711360126_ab2dd03176_b.jpg[/img]

Still larger than Abuja plus Gwagwalanda and all those other places at 704km2. You can't expect to measure ABJ like that and compare it to a carefully measured outline of ibadan that actually follows the accuracy rules of Geography, it wouldn't be scientific.

4 Likes

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Agboriotejoye(m): 10:24am On Mar 29, 2020
Nowenuse:

I told you on the other thread that Abuja is to all intents and purposes not larger than Ibadan. And dis is from a layman who has been to both places and reached the extremes down to the centres. Forget your pins, anyone who has been to Ibadan and Abuja will know Ibadan is larger than Abuja. This one na eye problem not ear.

Your last paragraph, suleja is not developing towards Minna. It cannot self. Suleja is developing eastwards towards Abuja. Suleja to Minna is about 80 to 90km away and most is bush and forests. In between, there's nothing to show that they're developing towards each other. Same with karu, it's developing towards Abuja not towards keffi. Like I told you then and this gentleman has said same now, if you're talking about living in one town and working in the other, you have to add apomu, ikire, lalupon, Iwo, fiditi as part of Ibadan. That will make Ibadan larger than Lagos self I can assure you.
Ibadan is contiguous and not scattered and that's what you're using to claim Abuja is bigger than it is. Perish that thought bro.

2 Likes

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 2:59pm On Mar 29, 2020
scholes0:
Actually, since you prefer less pins and actually like to see more distance between pegged points, Here is Ibadan measured in the same way you have done. And it is 1,032 km2 which is substantially larger than my previous more accurate measure. This method you prefer is highly inaccurate and can lead to errors of oversight.

[img]http:///65535/49711360126_ab2dd03176_b.jpg[/img]

Still larger than Abuja plus Gwagwalanda and all those other places at 704km2. You can't expect to measure ABJ like that and compare it to a carefully measured outline of ibadan that actually follows the accuracy rules of Geography, it wouldn't be scientific.

Lol grin. Me saying that you should use less pins does not mean that you should completely measure bushes!
If you must use more pins, you should at least snap multiple pictures showing the various extents of your measurements. That was why I insisted that you measure Suleja, Karu, Abuja Municipal, Bwari, Gwagwalada & Kuje separately.

Let me know when you have done it.

You added too many green areas to your measurement of Ibadan. And it is very obvious from your pictures.

We cannot conclude if Ibadan is bigger than Abuja until I see your measurements of the different urban areas that make up Abuja.

Do your own measurements and let's compare them with mine. Cos as it's stands, mine looks more accurate & neat since I separated the urban areas from each other, unlike yours where you joined everything from Niger state to Nasarawa state into a chaotic mess.

Your measurement of Ibadan is 700km² since you included most of the outskirt suburbs which I did not include in my measurement of Ibadan.

My friend's measurement of Abuja is 850km² and he did not include 2 suburbs of Karu (Karshi & Uke), 1 suburb of Bwari (Gwaram), the 4 suburbs in between Gwagwalada & Zuba, the whole of Kuje town and other suburbs in between Kuje & Gwagwalada and in between Madalla & Kuje & Municipal (like Gwaska, Toge, Sauka e.t.c).
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 3:41pm On Mar 29, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

I told you on the other thread that Abuja is to all intents and purposes not larger than Ibadan. And dis is from a layman who has been to both places and reached the extremes down to the centres. Forget your pins, anyone who has been to Ibadan and Abuja will know Ibadan is larger than Abuja. This one na eye problem not ear.

Your last paragraph, suleja is not developing towards Minna. It cannot self. Suleja is developing eastwards towards Abuja. Suleja to Minna is about 80 to 90km away and most is bush and forests. In between, there's nothing to show that they're developing towards each other. Same with karu, it's developing towards Abuja not towards keffi. Like I told you then and this gentleman has said same now, if you're talking about living in one town and working in the other, you have to add apomu, ikire, lalupon, Iwo, fiditi as part of Ibadan. That will make Ibadan larger than Lagos self I can assure you.
Ibadan is contiguous and not scattered and that's what you're using to claim Abuja is bigger than it is. Perish that thought bro.

Ibadan is bigger than Abuja Municipal no doubt, but it can never be bigger than Abuja metro with Karu urban, Suleja urban, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Bwari and all the other smaller towns in between the 6 towns/urban areas combined. It is very much impossible.

Ibadan only looks bigger because it is one urban area unlike Abuja metro that comprises of multiple urban areas and towns.

I said Suleja is developing towards Minna and I do not mean that it is close to Minna. These are 2 different things. Of course, Minna is still very far from Suleja.
Suleja has developed outside Suleja LGA into Diko town in Gurara LGA and now Diko town has merged with Suleja, Madalla, & Zuba into one urban area.
How can Suleja develop towards Abuja when it was Abuja that developed into Suleja through Zuba & Madalla?
Check your maps and see that Suleja is developing in 2 directions, towards Tafa town on the Kaduna expressway after Zuba and towards Kwaka & Gwachife towns on the road to Minna.

For you to say Karu is developing towards Abuja has shown that you don't even know anything about Karu & Abuja as a whole.
Karu is developing in different directions, but along the Abuja-Keffi express has seen the fastest development e.g Masaka! Masaka has now merged with Uke town and from Uke to Keffi is 20km (10 mins) on the express. And even between Uke to Keffi, there are 4-5 small towns on the road. Karu Urban is merging with Keffi in 5-10 years time.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 3:49pm On Mar 29, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Like I told you then and this gentleman has said same now, if you're talking about living in one town and working in the other, you have to add apomu, ikire, lalupon, Iwo, fiditi as part of Ibadan. That will make Ibadan larger than Lagos self I can assure you.

There is no way Ikire & Iwo can be counted as part of Ibadan Metropolitan area. These towns have been existing and developing on their own independently of Ibadan for decades.

Yes, Lalupon can be considered part of Ibadan metro and scholes0 included it into his measurement. He also included Agudu & Omi-Adio. Fiditi is under Oyo urban area, it does not fall under Ibadan's influence. Idi Ayunre is the only town that could also be measured under Ibadan which he did not include.

Please, read and digest my reply below to scholes0 to clearly understand how a Metropolitan area is defined.

Nowenuse:

Get this clear, a town or urban area being under another town's metro area is not based on popularity or unpopularity. It is based on the fact that one's growth is dependent, tied or influenced by the other.
Take Effurun (Uvwie), Udu and Warri proper for example. Effurun & Udu would have been no different from smaller towns like Orerokpe if not for Warri.
Warri developed into these places because Warri could not develop eastwards into the swamps/waters. Today, Uvwie & Udu are heavily urban and development has already started spreading into Ughelli south & Okpe LGAs.

Udu & Uvwie became what they are today because of Warri and that is why their existence and identity is tied to Warri.
Benin is just 1 hour away from Warri, but you can never go to a park in Benin and tell them that you want to travel to Udu or Uvwie, you will be seen as either a lost person or a mad person. You have to say you are going to Warri before anyone understands you!

But this is not the case for Ughelli. There is a separate vehicle and even separate parks in Benin that load to Ughelli and do you know that some parts of Ughelli are even closer to some parts of Warri than some parts of Udu are?

So, the question is why and how could Warri swallow up the identities of Udu & Effurun (Uvwie), but Warri can never try that with Ughelli?

The answer is very simple, WARRI GAVE BIRTH TO UDU & EFFURUN! Hence they are tied together and inseperable. The social life, worklife, businesses & economy of Udu & Effurun are tied to Warri.
Ughelli on the other hand has existed and developed to be an urban area of it's own without the influence of Warri. These things are very simple things.

Even if Warri and Ughelli merge in the nearest future, which they soon will, Warri will still never swallow up Ughelli's identity, it will never happen.

Warri & Ughelli are just like Aba & PH or Abeokuta & Lagos. While Abuja, Suleja, Karu, Gwagwalada e.t.c are just like Warri, Udu & Effurun.

Onitsha & Asaba are only separated by a river, just like Kaduna north & south, but they are not considered one Metropolitan or urban area, but had it been that Onitsha's development spread was what made Asaba what it is today, then Asaba would have been considered a part of Onitsha metro, cos it's existence would have been tied to Onitsha.

30% of what is known as Jos today is Bukuru, but imagine me going to a park in Lagos or Abuja or even Bauchi that is 1 hour away from Jos, and telling them that I want to travel to Bukuru. Will I not be deemed mad?
Bukuru was a small town of it's own very far from Jos main town in the past, but over the years, Jos developed into Bukuru and swallowed it up. Jos is about to or has already swallowed up Vom, Kuru, Zawan and even Du. These places originally have no business with Jos, they were small towns of their own.

Today you probably have more new houses being built in Bukuru than Jos proper where so many houses are old. But Bukuru would never have been what it is today without Jos!

If you still don't understand the differences then I give up.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 3:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
helinues:
And you think Lagos government are sleeping?

Immigration does not work the way you think it does.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 3:57pm On Mar 29, 2020
Grgton:
Abuja or FCT generally shouldn't have a large landmass. just like Washington DC in USA. A capital shouldn't be obsessed with urbanization or much population giving to the fact that there are other states needed to be developed in the country.

Human beings are very opportunistic in nature. They will all rush to a place they feel that there are more opportunities.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 4:03pm On Mar 29, 2020
scholes0:
Yes Abuja urban area grew so fast initially, the reason being it was a newly emerging city as a lot of things were being moved away from Lagos and transplanted into Abuja. It happens with every new urban center experiencing a growth spurt. But it will all naturally slow down eventually and grow at a rate just slightly higher than other major urban areas of the country (Bar Lagos and maybe PH and some other new place where something big happens) but nothing as phenomenal as before. In fact it has already slowed. The greatest period of growth of Abuja was between 1995 and 2010. It has slowed somewhat since this er although still growing fast, it will eventually level out.
This is exactly the pattern that Brasilia the new capital city of Brazil followed.

As we speak Lagos is back among the Global top10 so it does not look like Abuja would catch up anytime soon, if ever.

[img]http:///65535/49704752931_0600eb9d92_z.jpg[/img]

http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/urban_growth1.html

You are correct, Abuja's growth will eventually slow down. Especially considering the fact that Nasarawa & Niger state governments are not doing anything tangible to improve Karu & Suleja urban.
However, if things like industries, better estates, malls, good roads & infrastructures are put in place in Karu urban & Suleja urban. The growth of these places may not really slow down.

Abuja Municipal will always keep on growing, cos many wealthy Nigerians keep relocating there on daily basis due to the high level of development, sanity & serenity of the place. More and more estates are being built there on daily basis.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 4:14pm On Mar 29, 2020
scholes0:

People will move more to places where they can legitimately hustle than one propped up by the national economy.
If Abuja wants to legitimately compete with Lagos into the far future, it would have to develop an Industrial base, a real organic city structure (not just a city center governmental facade surrounded by shanties and middle class living areas) and then offer residents a diversity of lifestyle choices like Lagos. But I am not sure if that will happen being that it does not tally with Abuja's initial purpose since it is meant to be a planned and serene/orderly city.

Lagos's own problem stems mostly from the general state of transport infrastructure leading to massive bottlenecks such as endless holdups. It should take more to the marine segment while also expanding existing terrestrial road structures including building new ones and increasing linkability between areas by offering more route choices.
It should also try to decentralize governing structure. Let all those LCDA's start operating like independent mini cities. No reason why Lekki should be fundamentally attached to Lagos when it can be its own independent City of Lekki. It will soon have a fully operational Seaport, there are universities there such as the Pan Atlantic University, several industrial complexes, leisure spots, And might soon have an airport!

That is how it usually works in the Western world. Once a suburb gets too big and developed, it becomes an independent incorporated city.

I wish I could relike this comment of yours.

For me I think Lagos has to create alternative means of transportation and not just building more roads for more and more cars to come in.

Lagos State govt has the money, they should work on building trams, improve the water transportation system and if possible build a Subway. Can't you see Western & East Asian cities? They have all the road networks in the world, yet they still experience traffic jams... If not for their trams, ferry transportation and most especially subway transport, these cities would have been hell!

About Abuja Municipal, it was meant to be an orderly capital city just as you said. It has no soul and that is why people call it a fake or ghost city. Karu Urban & Suleja urban is where the soul of the city lies. It is up to the Nasarawa & Niger state governments to make both places work.
There was a lawmaker that once made a move for Karu urban & Suleja urban to be brought into the FCT and administered by the FCT in order to make both urban areas more liveable and developed. It could have been a good idea, but it will never work, and besides what have the so called FCTA done with Gwagwalada, Bwari & Kuje that are under it's custody?

Ogun state govt has understood the treasure it has in Ifo, Ota areas and it has taken advantage of it, but I really wonder why Niger & Nasarawa state govts are not seeing the huge opportunities in Suleja & Karu, rather they prefer to focus on Minna & Lafia that can never compete with Suleja & Karu, no mater the investments poured into them.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
Nowenuse:

There is no way Ikire & Iwo can be counted as part of Ibadan Metropolitan area. These towns have been existing and developing on their own independently of Ibadan for decades.

Yes, Lalupon can be considered part of Ibadan metro and scholes0 included it into his measurement. He also included Agudu & Omi-Adio. Fiditi is under Oyo urban area, it does not fall under Ibadan's influence. Idi Ayunre is the only town that could also be measured under Ibadan which he did not include.

Please, read and digest my reply below to scholes0 to clearly understand how a Metropolitan area is defined.

Here we go now. Ikire and Iwo have been developing and existing for decades and suleja started yesterday ba? Do you know Abuja was once under suleja emirate? If you say development is people living in one place and working in another then, ikire, fiditi and Iwo fit the bill for Ibadan. You didn't add lalupon in ur map. This guy just added it.
Nowenuse:

Ibadan is bigger than Abuja Municipal no doubt, but it can never be bigger than Abuja metro with Karu urban, Suleja urban, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Bwari and all the other smaller towns in between the 6 towns/urban areas combined. It is very much impossible.

Ibadan only looks bigger because it is one urban area unlike Abuja metro that comprises of multiple urban areas and towns.

I said Suleja is developing towards Minna and I do not mean that it is close to Minna. These are 2 different things. Of course, Minna is still very far from Suleja.
Suleja has developed outside Suleja LGA into Diko town in Gurara LGA and now Diko town has merged with Suleja, Madalla, & Zuba into one urban area.
How can Suleja develop towards Abuja when it was Abuja that developed into Suleja through Zuba & Madalla?
Check your maps and see that Suleja is developing in 2 directions, towards Tafa town on the Kaduna expressway after Zuba and towards Kwaka & Gwachife towns on the road to Minna.

For you to say Karu is developing towards Abuja has shown that you don't even know anything about Karu & Abuja as a whole.
Karu is developing in different directions, but along the Abuja-Keffi express has seen the fastest development e.g Masaka! Masaka has now merged with Uke town and from Uke to Keffi is 20km (10 mins) on the express. And even between Uke to Keffi, there are 4-5 small towns on the road. Karu Urban is merging with Keffi in 5-10 years time.

How has suleja developed into diko? I really don't know how you're deciding these developments but diko is totally separate from suleja. It's always been as it is. What are you going to say next? Lambata is developing towards suleja? Or lambata is also part of Abuja metro? Guy give it a rest. Your premise is really getting muddled.

Let me give you an idea of what can be called development as I know it. Ajoda, Egbeda, Badeku etc where totally undeveloped areas in the 80s. The bola ige govt started the plan of developing that area and gave it the name ajoda new town. Of course today, all those places are counted as part of Ibadan now. That's what I expect. Not just picking places and deciding for yourself whether they're part of an urban area or not.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 5:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Here we go now. Ikire and Iwo have been developing and existing for decades and suleja started yesterday ba? Do you know Abuja was once under suleja emirate? If you say development is people living in one place and working in another then, ikire, fiditi and Iwo fit the bill for Ibadan. You didn't add lalupon in ur map. This guy just added it.

How has suleja developed into diko? I really don't know how you're deciding these developments but diko is totally separate from suleja. It's always been as it is. What are you going to say next? Lambata is developing towards suleja? Or lambata is also part of Abuja metro? Guy give it a rest. Your premise is really getting muddled.

Let me give you an idea of what can be called development as I know it. Ajoda, Egbeda, Badeku etc where totally undeveloped areas in the 80s. The bola ige govt started the plan of developing that area and gave it the name ajoda new town. Of course today, all those places are counted as part of Ibadan now. That's what I expect. Not just picking places and deciding for yourself whether they're part of an urban area or not.

Suleja & Abuja are same settlements founded by brothers who fled from Zaria during Danfodio's jihad.

Yes, Suleja was a town of it's own before Abuja, but it was a small town. Development from Abuja was what made it a large urban area today and merged it with Zuba, Madalla & Diko.
And that is why Suleja urban is tied to Abuja economically, socially and otherwise.

Are Iwo & Ikire tied to Ibadan economically, socially and in terms of work? Hell no!
If I open a branch of my business in Iwo, can I put the address of my business as Ibadan?
If I stay in Iwo, can I claim I am in Ibadan? If I want to travel to Iwo from Lagos, will I enter Ibadan motor? No, I will enter Iwo motor direct.

But I can have a business in Lalupon and put Ibadan as the address. People in Lalupon claim they are staying in Ibadan. People traveling to Lalupon from Lagos go to Ibadan park and enter Ibadan direct.

Lalupon & Ibadan's case is the same with Suleja & Karu to Abuja.
You cannot be in Lagos or Jos or even Lafia (the capital of Nasarawa state) and tell them that you want to travel to Karu or Suleja, hell no! Abuja is where you say you are going to.

The point is that Abuja has swallowed up the identities of Suleja & Karu because Abuja made them what they are today. This can never be the case of Iwo & Ikire with Ibadan. Never.

Scholes0, please comman explain this for your brother cos he likes to argue over everything abeg.

Pls look at Diko & Suleja in this map below and tell me that you are not making a joke of yourself by saying that Diko has not merged with Suleja.

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by scholes0(m): 6:12pm On Mar 29, 2020
Nowenuse:

Lol grin. Me saying that you should use less pins does not mean that you should completely measure bushes!
If you must use more pins, you should at least snap multiple pictures showing the various extents of your measurements. That was why I insisted that you measure Suleja, Karu, Abuja Municipal, Bwari, Gwagwalada & Kuje separately. You added too many green areas to your measurement of Ibadan. And it is very obvious from your pictures.

Well, I might have measured some bushes, BUT I only followed your exact style which you are basing your facts on. Besides, you added too much green and brown in your Abuja measurements.Ibadan's green only looks more obvious than the green and brown of Abja because Abuja is savannah and Ibadan is tropical high forest and tall tree savanna type vegetation. If I increase the contrast and saturation of your Abuja measurements and increase the green composition of the RGB, you would see how much outside the city limits some of your measurements are.

We cannot conclude if Ibadan is bigger than Abuja until I see your measurements of the different urban areas that make up Abuja.

Also, I don't consider Gwagwalada to be Abuja, although it is is a town in the FCT. I understand that you think otherwise, but no problem. Infact I was only adding Suleja from my initial measurements for the sake of argument. Suleja isn't Abuja either. Suleja is completely different from Abuja and does not have any vibe in common with Abuja. It felt like a completely separate and independent town the time I was there unlike Karu that had strong Abuja vibes. If the government was compiling a list of largest cities and towns in Nigeria, trust me when I tell you that Suleja will not be included in Abuja nor even 'Abuja urban area' for that matter.

Do your own measurements and let's compare them with mine. Cos as it's stands, mine looks more accurate & neat since I separated the urban areas from each other, unlike yours where you joined everything from Niger state to Nasarawa state into a chaotic mess.

Lol, yours does not look more accurate than mine. I have explained it to you earlier above ^^ how Geography works. What YOU on the other hand are doing is maximizing land area for different areas during measurement and then totalling them together to gain a land area advantage.

Your measurement of Ibadan is 700km² since you included most of the outskirt suburbs which I did not include in my measurement of Ibadan.

Yes my measurements of Ibadan was 702 km² for Ibadan at close marking, and 550km² for Abuja + adjoining towns at that same criteria. When I used the same method as you (distant marking) Ibadan remained significantly larger at over 1,000km². If you want me to measure the Abuja area again separately then add them together, I might do that at some later time.

My friend's measurement of Abuja is 850km² and he did not include 2 suburbs of Karu (Karshi & Uke), 1 suburb of Bwari (Gwaram), the 4 suburbs in between Gwagwalada & Zuba, the whole of Kuje town and other suburbs in between Kuje & Gwagwalada and in between Madalla & Kuje & Municipal (like Gwaska, Toge, Sauka e.t.c).

Your friend's measurements of Abuja is wrong. I already called it "Wuru wuru to the answer" earlier. And once again, Gwagwalada is not Abuja. Everyone has been telling you this right from that original thread into this newer one. People even told you that his measurements were not consistent that he zoomed out to measure some cities and measured some others at closer resolution.

3 Likes

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 29, 2020
Nowenuse:

Human beings are very opportunistic in nature. They will all rush to a place they feel that there are more opportunities.
And there's need for laws and restrictions
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 7:19pm On Mar 30, 2020
scholes0:

Well, I might have measured some bushes, BUT I only followed your exact style which you are basing your facts on. Besides, you added too much green and brown in your Abuja measurements.Ibadan's green only looks more obvious than the green and brown of Abja because Abuja is savannah and Ibadan is tropical high forest and tall tree savanna type vegetation. If I increase the contrast and saturation of your Abuja measurements and increase the green composition of the RGB, you would see how much outside the city limits some of your measurements are.

Also, I don't consider Gwagwalada to be Abuja, although it is is a town in the FCT. I understand that you think otherwise, but no problem. Infact I was only adding Suleja from my initial measurements for the sake of argument. Suleja isn't Abuja either. Suleja is completely different from Abuja and does not have any vibe in common with Abuja. It felt like a completely separate and independent town the time I was there unlike Karu that had strong Abuja vibes. If the government was compiling a list of largest cities and towns in Nigeria, trust me when I tell you that Suleja will not be included in Abuja nor even 'Abuja urban area' for that matter.

Lol, yours does not look more accurate than mine. I have explained it to you earlier above ^^ how Geography works. What YOU on the other hand are doing is maximizing land area for different areas during measurement and then totalling them together to gain a land area advantage.

Yes my measurements of Ibadan was 702 km² for Ibadan at close marking, and 550km² for Abuja + adjoining towns at that same criteria. When I used the same method as you (distant marking) Ibadan remained significantly larger at over 1,000km². If you want me to measure the Abuja area again separately then add them together, I might do that at some later time.

Your friend's measurements of Abuja is wrong. I already called it "Wuru wuru to the answer" earlier. And once again, Gwagwalada is not Abuja. Everyone has been telling you this right from that original thread into this newer one. People even told you that his measurements were not consistent that he zoomed out to measure some cities and measured some others at closer resolution.

Gwagwalada is not Abuja and neither is Karu, Suleja, Madalla, Bwari, Kuje or anywhere. However, these places are part of Abuja Metro or Greater Abuja urban area, the same way Ibafo, Ifo, Ota and other towns in Ogun state, Badagry, Ikorodu e.t.c are part of Lagos metro or Greater Lagos urban area.
Abuja Municipal is the only place that is Abuja. The other suburbs and urban areas are under the Abuja metro.

If Lagos urban is being measured, Ikorodu, Badagry, Ota & Lekki are not usually added to it. However, does that stop these places from being part of Greater Lagos Metro? Of course not.

Take it or leave it. You may not see it that way, but world rankings and world standard see it that way, or do you think that when the world ranks Lagos as the largest urban area in Africa with over 20 million people, they are talking only about Lagos proper?

If Suleja is not part of Abuja metro area, how about Zuba & Madalla that merges Abuja Municipal to Suleja? Or is it possible to agree that Zuba is part of Abuja metro & Suleja is not? when Zuba, Madalla & Suleja are practically merged together as one urban area?

If Gwagwalada is not part of Abuja, what about Tungan Maje that you can stand in Zuba and throw a stone into it? If you then accept Tungan Maje because it is a stonethrow from Zuba, then u have to accept Anagada cos Anagada is also a stonethrow from Tungan Maje and Giri (which is on the road to the airport) is a stonethrow from Anagada and immediately after Giri is Gwako then see Gwagwalada. These 4 towns in between Zuba & Gwagwalada are a stone throw from each other.

Gwagwalada is not Abuja, but the University in Gwagwalada is called UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA and not University of Gwagwalada grin
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 7:30pm On Mar 30, 2020
scholes0:

Look at the map below, my friend remeasured Ibadan and he added all the suburbs this time around, he even included Idi-Ayunre at the south of Ibadan (which you did not add in your own diagram). And he got 680km².

So I am waiting for you to remeasure Abuja Municipal, Karu urban, Suleja urban, Gwagwalada, Bwari, Kuje and all the other dozen smaller towns in between these 6 urban areas. Then let us compare.

Ibadan urban can only be bigger than Abuja metro in the dream and not physically. The fact that Abuja metro is disjointed, doesn't make it any less of a Metro.
Go and read international documents very well and learn what a metro is.

See the 2nd picture of Abuja Municipal which I measured (zoomed in). Abuja Municipal has green areas within the city because it is a well planned city with parks, gardens, lakes and good spacing.

1 Like

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:52pm On Mar 31, 2020
Nowenuse:

Suleja & Abuja are same settlements founded by brothers who fled from Zaria during Danfodio's jihad.

Yes, Suleja was a town of it's own before Abuja, but it was a small town. Development from Abuja was what made it a large urban area today and merged it with Zuba, Madalla & Diko.
And that is why Suleja urban is tied to Abuja economically, socially and otherwise.

Are Iwo & Ikire tied to Ibadan economically, socially and in terms of work? Hell no!
If I open a branch of my business in Iwo, can I put the address of my business as Ibadan?
If I stay in Iwo, can I claim I am in Ibadan? If I want to travel to Iwo from Lagos, will I enter Ibadan motor? No, I will enter Iwo motor direct.

But I can have a business in Lalupon and put Ibadan as the address. People in Lalupon claim they are staying in Ibadan. People traveling to Lalupon from Lagos go to Ibadan park and enter Ibadan direct.

Lalupon & Ibadan's case is the same with Suleja & Karu to Abuja.
You cannot be in Lagos or Jos or even Lafia (the capital of Nasarawa state) and tell them that you want to travel to Karu or Suleja, hell no! Abuja is where you say you are going to.

The point is that Abuja has swallowed up the identities of Suleja & Karu because Abuja made them what they are today. This can never be the case of Iwo & Ikire with Ibadan. Never.

Scholes0, please comman explain this for your brother cos he likes to argue over everything abeg.

Pls look at Diko & Suleja in this map below and tell me that you are not making a joke of yourself by saying that Diko has not merged with Suleja.

Wrong!!

Suleja was already existing as a town before Abuja. You're the one merging zuba, madalla and dikko with suleja. Nobody else has done that which is why I asked why you didn't also merge lambata with suleja since it's close to suleja as well. If you do that, by extension lambata will also become part of Abuja urban. The problem you're having is using the proximity of suleja to count it as part of Abuja and just as scholes said, if you're using proximity then gwagwalada and bwari have no business being part of Abuja.

As I told you before, there are people who live in ikire and Iwo who come to trade in Ibadan and return back everyday so why can't they be added to Ibadan since the result of your analysis will mean Ibadan developed those places.
You cant live in suleja and claim to be living in Abuja. This event of lockdown as shown that. While Abuja FCT is on lockdown, movement is allowed in suleja at night. So if you have a business in suleja and use Abuja as your address, you're simply wasting your time.

FYI, there's no direct transport from Lagos to Iwo. Either you take a bus going to Ilorin with the assurance they'll pass Iwo or you take a bus to Ibadan and enter Iwo from there. Same with ikire.

If you're talking of small settlements being swallowed up by bigger towns, it will be suleja swallowing up madalla but Abuja has in no way swallowed both up. If you're going from Lagos to suleja, you either take a bus to Abuja and get down at zuba to continue your journey or you take a bus to Minna and then take a bus to suleja. I hope you can see a similarity with the Ibadan-Iwo case. So just as you can't say you're going to Iwo from Lagos, you can't say you're going to suleja from Lagos. It's not because both towns have been swallowed up by their respective bigger cities, it's because they have no direct route.

Like I already said, if you say dikko has merged with suleja, then it's safe to say lambata has also merged with suleja and therefore part of Abuja urban.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 7:01pm On Mar 31, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Wrong!!

Suleja was already existing as a town before Abuja. You're the one merging zuba, madalla and dikko with suleja. Nobody else has done that which is why I asked why you didn't also merge lambata with suleja since it's close to suleja as well. If you do that, by extension lambata will also become part of Abuja urban. The problem you're having is using the proximity of suleja to count it as part of Abuja and just as scholes said, if you're using proximity then gwagwalada and bwari have no business being part of Abuja.
Oga, a town existing before another develops into it is not the matter. Bukuru was existing b4 Jos developed into it. Effurun & Udu were existing before Warri developed into them.
Nkpor, Nkwelle & Obosi were existing before Onitsha developed into them.
Go to that previous thread and see the way Igbos wanted to eat me raw because I did not include towns after Obosi into the measurement of Onitsha.
Like I gave an example before. Asaba & Onitsha are only separated by a river, just the same way Kaduna city north & south are divided by a river, but why are Onitsha & Asaba considered different urban areas but Kaduna is considered one city?
And don't even bring the DIFFERENT STATES CRAP, because Kaduna city is to be divided into 2 parts along the river when GURARA STATE will be created for Southern Kaduna people. Will the creation of Gurara state suddenly stop Kaduna city from being one city?

Pls answer this questions before we proceed.

Lambata is even far away from Diko! It is many km away from Diko or Madalla and in between it and these places there are no smaller towns that connect them together.
This is typically unlike Gwagwalada, Kuje & Bwari which have multiple towns connecting them to Abuja Municipal.

That is why I asked scholes0 that if he says Gwagwalada is not part of Abuja metro but Zuba is part, then what about Tungan Maje that you can stand in Zuba and throw a stone from there and it will land in Tungan Maje?
If u accept Tungan Maje as part of it, how about Anagada & Giri (the road to the airport) that are also a stonethrow away from each other and to Tungan Maje? Then immediately after Giri is Gwako and then you throw a stone from Gwako and u are in Gwagwalada!
The same thing with Bwari & Kuje.
You cannot separate these towns from each other.
And why is the University in Gwagwalada called THE UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA and not the UNIVERSITY OF GWAGWALADA?

Can you go and open a university in Ikire or Iwo and call it university of Ibadan?

Answer the questions!

Look at the picture below. Can u see the red pin? That is where Lambata is, you can see how far it is from Diko. How on Earth can that place be part of Abuja metro? Can you see Tafa on that map also? Tafa is closer to Kubwa (Abuja Municipal) & Suleja, but it is not included in Abuja metro! So don't bring useless arguments in.

2 Likes

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Nowenuse: 8:11pm On Mar 31, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

As I told you before, there are people who live in ikire and Iwo who come to trade in Ibadan and return back everyday so why can't they be added to Ibadan since the result of your analysis will mean Ibadan developed those places.
You cant live in suleja and claim to be living in Abuja. This event of lockdown as shown that. While Abuja FCT is on lockdown, movement is allowed in suleja at night. So if you have a business in suleja and use Abuja as your address, you're simply wasting your time.

FYI, there's no direct transport from Lagos to Iwo. Either you take a bus going to Ilorin with the assurance they'll pass Iwo or you take a bus to Ibadan and enter Iwo from there. Same with ikire.

If you're talking of small settlements being swallowed up by bigger towns, it will be suleja swallowing up madalla but Abuja has in no way swallowed both up. If you're going from Lagos to suleja, you either take a bus to Abuja and get down at zuba to continue your journey or you take a bus to Minna and then take a bus to suleja. I hope you can see a similarity with the Ibadan-Iwo case. So just as you can't say you're going to Iwo from Lagos, you can't say you're going to suleja from Lagos. It's not because both towns have been swallowed up by their respective bigger cities, it's because they have no direct route.

Okay, Lagos is south-west of Ibadan, Iwo & Ikire. How about if I want to enter a vehicle from Oyo town or Ife to Iwo? Will I enter Ibadan motor? Hell no!
But if I am going to Lalupon I must enter Ibadan motor.

I gave you this example in Nasarawa state. Lafia & Karu are in the same Nasarawa state, just 1 hour away. Infact from Lafia, you get to Karu first, before you get to Abuja. But why is it that vehicles from Lafia do not load to Karu? Why is that people leaving Lafia to Karu will not tell you that they are going to Karu? Rather, everyone tells you they are going to Abuja!

If Lagos State govt enforces a law, does it affect Ota, Ifo & Ibafo? Of course not, but does it stop these places from being part of Lagos metro area based on world rankings? Hell no!

I have told you before to stop judging places based on states! The state boundaries we have today were created few decades ago, Nigeria can divide anytime and all these state names and boundaries will be changed.
If Niger state ceases to exist and Suleja urban, Karu urban, Abuja Municipal are all put under a Federal city jurisdiction called ABUJA, what happens then? Will u accept them as Abuja then?
That is why the world rankings do not judge a metro area based on states, LGAs or even countries! They rank and judge these things simply based on how urban areas coexist and are dependent on each other!

Wait oo, are you trying to say Suleja, Zuba & Madalla are not one urban area? Do you have eyes at all?
Look at the picture below, can't u see how the houses from Madalla/Zuba merge with each other down to Diko?

2 Likes

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:08am On Apr 01, 2020
Nowenuse:

Okay, Lagos is south-west of Ibadan, Iwo & Ikire. How about if I want to enter a vehicle from Oyo town or Ife to Iwo? Will I enter Ibadan motor? Hell no!
But if I am going to Lalupon I must enter Ibadan motor.

I gave you this example in Nasarawa state. Lafia & Karu are in the same Nasarawa state, just 1 hour away. Infact from Lafia, you get to Karu first, before you get to Abuja. But why is it that vehicles from Lafia do not load to Karu? Why is that people leaving Lafia to Karu will not tell you that they are going to Karu? Rather, everyone tells you they are going to Abuja!

If Lagos State govt enforces a law, does it affect Ota, Ifo & Ibafo? Of course not, but does it stop these places from being part of Lagos metro area based on world rankings? Hell no!

I have told you before to stop judging places based on states! The state boundaries we have today were created few decades ago, Nigeria can divide anytime and all these state names and boundaries will be changed.
If Niger state ceases to exist and Suleja urban, Karu urban, Abuja Municipal are all put under a Federal city jurisdiction called ABUJA, what happens then? Will u accept them as Abuja then?
That is why the world rankings do not judge a metro area based on states, LGAs or even countries! They rank and judge these things simply based on how urban areas coexist and are dependent on each other!

Wait oo, are you trying to say Suleja, Zuba & Madalla are not one urban area? Do you have eyes at all?
Look at the picture below, can't u see how the houses from Madalla/Zuba merge with each other down to Diko?

Your lack of native intelligence is still showing. How exactly do you intend to get to Iwo from Ife and Oyo without passing through Ibadan? Ibadan is in between Oyo/Ife and Iwo. You really don't appreciate how close Iwo is to Ibadan.

The states boundaries were created a few decades ago just as the urban areas you're looking to create now. Dikko to suleja has forests inbetween that are uninhabited or at best have hamlets. They are totally different and distinct from each other. In that same Ibadan, we have sango, agbowo, ojoo all contiguous with one another but yet they remain distinct places inside the same Ibadan. They are part of Ibadan because they all agreed to form that area called Ibadan, the initial settlers i mean.

The example you gave. If one is going to suleja from Minna, you can't take Abuja vehicle even though there are Abuja vehicles in Minna. You take suleja vehicle. I hope that clears your issue with suleja now. No one going to suleja from Minna claims to be going to Abuja except he has money to waste. He simply boards a vehicle going to suleja.

Lemme give you another example I came across recently as pertaining boundaries of areas you're trying to twist. I met the LGA admin secretary of Bida when I was there recently, Federal poly Bida is actually built on a land belonging to some settlement outside Bida town. Now, those settlements fall under lavun LGA. However, due to their closeness to Bida, they're accepted as part of Bida and efforts are going on to redraw the boundary to bring the poly under Bida proper. Now compare that with NCRI, badeggi. NCRI is usually referred to as NCRI, Bida by everyone but it's actually under badeggi. Now badeggi is an established town north of Bida though small, but a town nonetheless. The LGA officer said they can't apply for NCRI to be moved to Bida LGA because badeggi is recognised as a town on its own by the state boundary commission. I hope you can get the flow now. No one said since badeggi is small and economically dependent on Bida, then NCRI should be named after Bida. It remains to all intents and purposes NCRI badeggi though a majority of the staff live inside Bida.

If you were to categorise suleja, madalla, zuba as one urban area including lambata self, you wouldn't be wrong, but cropping them into Abuja is definitely far fetched.

As for uniAbuja. The joke is actually on you. I remember you saying Abuja refers to Abuja municipal and gwagwalada is fct not Abuja. You see now that Abuja is seen as a generic name for all places that fall under FCT. So you can take a rest with suleja now since anything built in suleja can't take the Abuja nomenclature or don't you agree?

1 Like

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by myobjective: 6:52am On May 22, 2020
scholes0:
How can Karu be up to 2 million people? lol
Ilorin is faar bigger than Karu. Heck, it isn't even nearly as large as the Osogbo urban area

Karu might be up to 2m people. The population of that area is very high. Diko-Maje-Suleja-Kaduna road- madalla-Zuba should also be 1m plus now.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by myobjective: 7:18am On May 22, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Suleja to Minna is actually 99km, the same distance from Asaba to Enugu. Last two years I shuttle between Suleja to Minna every week for a program at FUT Minna. The journey normally takes 2hours due to the bad nature of the road.

Back to the main point of discussion. There is no way, Abuja urban (even when merged with the towns those in Nasarawa and Niger state) can be bigger than Ibadan. Talking has a person with more than ten years of commuting experience on that route.

1 Like

Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by malele(m): 7:28am On May 22, 2020
scholes0:
Nope.
Abuja is growing into Nassarawa and might probably extend to parts of niger in the future.

Lagos is growing into Ogun... Ikorodu and Lekki are exploding.

Besides, some of these areas you are adding to "Auja agglomeration" is a stretch..... too disjointed and far away to be part of Abuja metro. They are their own towns/metros.
lol if you are counting Suleja and New Karu as part of Abuja metro, then Abeokuta will become part of Lagos metro. Is Abuja even bigger than Ibadan? Mind you, Ibadan is bigger than Kano, forget the nonsense Naija stats that has been misinforming everybody than Kano is #2 and larger than Ibadan at #3...

All these expansions , na stupid igbos way no fit
Settle for there region and develop it.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Gerrard59(m): 10:53am On Dec 17, 2023
Interesting thread, except for the ret@rd malele who could not stop blaming Igbos for developing these areas. How the development of a virgin land by citizens became a crime is befuddling!

As for the main topic, Abuja cannot overtake Lagos. If there is going to be a city that would do such, the state it is situated must be abut to the coast. These would be Calabar, Port-Harcourt, Uyo, Warri etc. Majority of the most populous cities in the world are situated in areas which are contiguous to a large body of water, as this promotes trade.

That is why I am not convinced that Northern Nigeria is more populous than the South. No country in the world has more people living in arid areas than in coastal regions. Only Nigeria has that infamous appellation.
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by olisaEze(m): 11:12am On Dec 17, 2023
I wonder why Nigerians are so obsessed with size!. You can be big and you can also be big for nothing!
Re: Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon? by Ogene001: 12:31pm On Dec 17, 2023
Onitsha has already defeated Lagos as largest urban cornubation by landmass and second to Lagos in population. With demolitions and Ronu terrorists operating in Lagos a massive population shift is going on and according to Mackenzie foundation, Onitsha will rival Lagos population from 1940. Note that Onitsha metro stretches to Owerri, Awka, Nnewi Asaba

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku Promises To Reduce Company Income Tax To 10%, / Pat Utomi Dumps APC, To Run For Delta Governorship Race Under PDP. / Rochas Okorocha May Win Apc Presidential Primaries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 258
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.