Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,681 members, 7,816,786 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Police Shoots Man For Laughing - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Shoots Man For Laughing (8322 Views)

Policeman Shoots Man In Badagry; Youths Protest (photos) / Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At Mile 2 (video) / Police Shoots Man To Death While Waiting For Free Sallah Ram (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Shoots Man For Laughing by abasifo(m): 7:55pm On Dec 28, 2010
THIS is getting out of hand, believe me.  Our men are becoming uncontrollably reckless with fire arms and this calls for great concern.  We have to tell ourselves the truth.  The other day,  it was a violent protest in Ajegunle over the killing of a defenseless young boy by a police Corporal who was on illegal duty.
Three days later, another trigger-happy police man attached to MOPOL 49, Lekki  who was on a special duty at a bank on Marina , unwarrantedly shot dead a bureau d’ change operator while he alleged attempted to defraud an old woman.

The matter is still on as I speak with you,   Then just last Thursday,  another one opened fire on another young boy at Lekki Phase 1;  claiming that the victim was hysterically laughing at him.  Can you imagine that?  In those days, it used to be accidental discharge, but we are no longer confronting accidental discharge today.    It is now  willful shooting of innocent persons.” These were the words of a  senior police officer at ‘Area A’, Lion Building Lagos.

Perhaps, the above reaction of a senior police officer who craved anonymity aptly summed the unprofessional and reckless attitude of some of our policemen, especially the rank and file on the street today. Their latest victim is 27-year-old Udeme Akwa-Jackobson, an  Akwa-Ibom state born construction worker.

It is only a medical miracle that would prevent the promising young man from being amputated as he has since been moved out of the private hospital he was being treated for lack of funds.   He has resorted to traditional herbal treatment for now pending when police authorities or other kind-hearted Nigerians, might come to his aid.

How it all started.

Visibly writhing in pains at his Shell estate one-room apartment, in Lekki Phase1,  Udeme whose bandaged but swollen left leg is already emitting offensive stench as a result of the gunshot wounds;  was however,  able to muster the strength to speak with Crime Guard.  To him, the incident could not have been ordinary because, “I was not the only one there; so how come the police took on me?  I believe there is spiritual undertone.”   He said, “that day was on a

Thursday, April 15, 2010 and time was about 5.00pm. I was outside in front of my house chatting with some of my friends about sundry issues.  We were talking about a maid who desperately needed another job and we mentioned one lady in the area that might help her.  Just then, the lady we mentioned passed by and we all laughed at the coincidence”.

[b]The shooting
Soon after, a bus painted in Lagos commercial colour popularly called Danfo pulled over and stopped beside us.  Inside the bus were two mobile policemen.  One of them alighted and came to me, held me by my shirt and asked why I was laughing at him.

I was confused and shocked altogether;  to say the least.  But he was serious about his allegation because he was violently pulling me towards the parked bus.  All entreaties from my friends that we were not laughing at him fell on deaf ears.

We were shocked the more, when another mobile police man who had long parked his motorbike by the gutter where we were, came up to corroborate the allegation.   As the argument raged, one of the mobile policemen that came with them tried to calm the situation by saying that we could not have been laughing at his colleague.

When the argument degenerated into slaps and blows, a Pastor who lives on my street came to the rescue and was able to free me from his grip.  But just then, he grabbed a pistol from the waist belt of his colleague and tried to hit me on the head and I dodged it and jumped over the gutter.  At that point, he pointed the gun at me and before I could turn to react to my friends shout of Udeme, Udeme, I heard a gun shot.

The police man had shot me on the leg and blood started gushing out.  At the hospital  after the shooting, the Mobile Policeman disappeared into thin air with his colleagues while my friends and neighbors rushed me to a nearby private hospital and later, Mainland General hospital.  But after five days in the hospital, things did not improve and, of course,  there was no money to procure some of the prescribed drugs.

So, my wife and some of my friends came and took me home where they contracted a traditional herbal healer for the purpose.   As you can see for yourself, it is not improving. Matter not reported and police not aware
Perhaps for fear of the unknown, the unprofessional conduct of the mobile police man was not reported in any police station; and therefore, the Lagos police command which jurisdiction the offence was committed is not aware of it.

“The matter was not reported because one, my friends are afraid that the police might turn the whole thing against them.  Two, we did not know the identity of the policeman who shot me, but the one who was begging him to leave me alone is a known person.

Though I do not know his name, he is attached to the Shell estate,” Udeme said.

But the Command’s spokes person, Mr. Frank Mba said he was yet to be informed about the shooting incident.  “I am not aware of it.  A policeman shot somebody just because he claimed that person was laughing at him?  I am not aware,” Mba maintained.[/b]

http://www.talkofnaija.com/news/police--shoots-man-laughing

Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by udennaa: 4:36pm On Dec 29, 2010
Those men are inhumane n callous.i just read another case of a pregnant woman killed by them.my brother,always pray you dont fall into their hands even when you are in the right.two or three experiences i have had with the police will forever remain with me.the beasts have the blood of many innocent souls on their hands.only the govt can put a stop to all these,but the unfortunate thing is that they are as guilty as the police,all criminals.
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by manmustwac(m): 2:13am On Dec 30, 2010
So the reality is the police are free to shoot innocent members of the public whenever they feel it. Nobody polices the police in Nigeria. Only (imaginary) God can help us.
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by nitrogen(m): 11:45am On Dec 30, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin this is funny but ridiculous. na onlly God go save us ooo
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by liaslo1(m): 11:48am On Dec 30, 2010
NIGERIA, na wa ohhh.

only God can help
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by oludashmi(f): 11:52am On Dec 30, 2010
The police will go scot free and someone will say Nigeria is not a failed state>>>scchew>>>
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by denony(m): 12:01pm On Dec 30, 2010
That name "POLICE" is what i hate hearing
they are inhuman, bastards
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by hollars(m): 12:09pm On Dec 30, 2010
that's why they are "never to do well people", majority of them never live a good life and it affects they families. they are cursed, those idiots in black!
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by slap1(m): 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
The recruitment process of these !diots should be seriously looked-into. It's not unusual to see a notorious street thug join the police force. What do you expect from an imbecil* like that? This is so unreasonable and diabolic! The salary of that baboon should be used to take care of that man and he should be disarmed ASAP! Blawdy moro n! What were they doing in a danfo bus anyway?
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by olax44(m): 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
what kind of country is this?
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 30, 2010
I suggest that all citizens apply tobe enlisted into the nigerian police then we see who will shoot who and only then will d government do something about this issue. its becoming too much
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Gbenge77(m): 1:09pm On Dec 30, 2010
This is stale news.it happened a very long time ago.i m absolutely amazed it made the front page
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 30, 2010
na wa for Naija Police Force oohh
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by fukkyjohn: 1:30pm On Dec 30, 2010
that means will are not safe in this country holy god can guide us oooooooooo
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Ajike: 1:45pm On Dec 30, 2010
Genge777b]This is stale news.it happened a very long time ago.i m absolutely amazed it made the front page

[/b]

you should be telling us wot u av done as a good citizen of this country to help this guy since to u, is a stale news
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by damipaul(m): 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2010
As annoying and irritating as this story is I must add that some nigerians are funny. I don't like the police for anything but I witnessed an incidence that shocked me, didn't really know what led to the argument, but a guy was arguing, with his hands up in a fist ready to fight a mobile police man carrying a rifle! What do you call that?!
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by saworoide: 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2010
I had a similar encounter last year on Ore to Benin road. The police officer was trying to extort money from our bus driver and I looked at him scornfully. Unfortunately, his colleague saw me and confronted me as to why I "insulted the Nigeria police" with my looks. They threatened to arrest me and ensure I was jailed. One even threatened to kill me and label me armed robber.

When I was that none of the co-passenger in the bus was ready to stand up for me, I had to apply wisdom and denied any wrong doing while apologizing fro any unintentional message my alleged look passed across. The officer then warned me to mind my business and never mess with any police again.

The Nigeria police are always trigger happy on innocent citizen while they either avoid the criminals or even help them in their nefarious activities. May God deliver this country.
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by ifyalways(f): 1:58pm On Dec 30, 2010
saworoide:

I had a similar encounter last year on Ore to Benin road. The police officer was trying to extort money from our bus driver and I looked at him scornfully. Unfortunately, his colleague saw me and confronted me as to why I "insulted the Nigeria police" with my looks. They threatened to arrest me and ensure I was jailed. One even threatened to kill me and label me armed robber.

When I was that none of the co-passenger in the bus was ready to stand up for me, I had to apply wisdom and denied any wrong doing while apologizing fro any unintentional message my alleged look passed across. The officer then warned me to mind my business and never mess with any police again.

The Nigeria police are always trigger happy on innocent citizen while they either avoid the criminals or even help them in their nefarious activities. May God deliver this country.

@Bolded,like seriously?U expect that in Naija . . .ol'bot its all man for himself.who get spare life? cheesy
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by MsTom(f): 2:28pm On Dec 30, 2010
WARNING!!!

Anytime you see a police man, do not laugh
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by sayso: 2:33pm On Dec 30, 2010
just waka pass.
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by deadie(m): 2:35pm On Dec 30, 2010
A police man asked my friend who was acting like a big boy during a stop and search "You don hear about accidental discharge"? My friend coupled himself and behaved like a zombie to orders afterwards. There is a simple solution to the problem of the Nigerian Police: FIRE ALL OF THEM and create a new police from scratch. The corruption and indiscipline is too endemic. It has been done before, in Georgia. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4849472 But our politicians would not do a thing of sort, a corrupt and undisciplined police is an asset.

I read about a GEJ campain bus that was caught with a lot of arms (13 guns), the police announced shortly afterwards that it was ONLY one gun (Pump action) and that it was licensed. I am not using this to attack GEJ in any way so don't think I am an Atiku supporter (I think he is worse), but this shows you how corrupt the police is and how such a police favours politicians and their supporters.
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by clogogo(m): 2:56pm On Dec 30, 2010
Nigeria police are very stupid when they see arm robbers they don't know how to shoot,,,, but when they see armless civilians they show their stupid powers
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Decryptor(m): 3:07pm On Dec 30, 2010
In Nigeria, we have two types of "Armed" Robbers. The "LEGALIZED" armed robbers and the "ILLEGAL" ones. unravel this statement and don't ask me to explain further.
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by calddon(m): 3:19pm On Dec 30, 2010
NPF again! Uniform touts
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Ranoscky(m): 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2010
denony:

That name "POLICE" is what i hate hearing
they are inhuman, bastards
Bless you broda, nothin more for me to say!
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by haboosa(m): 3:35pm On Dec 30, 2010
POLICE !!!!!!!!!!!! they are bunks of bastards. angry angry angry angry
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2010
everybody is complaining and yet nobody is taking action. someone was shot ,could'nt treat himself,get help or report the issue to the authorites to see wat could come out of it.
this is december ,the issue happened months ago but is just making the headling on nairaland, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed NAIJA NA WA
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Faun(m): 4:11pm On Dec 30, 2010
I had a run-in with The Police on August. And my crime?
Well, I was driving right down a major road in Aba, when the hungry black toads flagged me down. The officer in charge asked for my licence, which I swiftly handed to him. Next, he demanded to see my car approval papers, which I also handed to him. Next thing, he asked for my spare tyre, fire extinguisher and tinted glass permit, all of which I still gave him. Next thing, he asked for my car approval papers, which I told him were RIGHT IN HIS HANDS (duh!).
Do you know what the FOOL did next? He accused me of insulting the police by wearing the popular designer shirt that has "Police" written on it!! WOW!!! Like play like play, these pigs wan arrest me! shocked
No be pesin tell me to just settle the bastards with 50 Naira and carry on with my life.
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by MrCork2: 4:17pm On Dec 30, 2010
maybe they didnt like his toooth paste. It waz IBO made grin grin grin grin
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by ahf(m): 4:29pm On Dec 30, 2010
Police, the walking devils on the street !!

Warning - POLICE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND !! Stay away from them.

No jokes, No laughing, No charity towards them !!

My prayer for them - " MAY THEY ALL REAP WHAT THEY HAVE SOWN "
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by Eyayomosko: 4:35pm On Dec 30, 2010
Things are really getting out of hands.too bad pray for that young boy to get better
Re: Police Shoots Man For Laughing by jchublue: 4:40pm On Dec 30, 2010
In Nigeria, cops would never police you properly, and never seem to be available when a crime is being committed especially violent ones like armed robbery or kidnappings. It makes you wonder where they are always rushing to when they try to force other road-users off the road by blaring their sirens and waving their guns and batons to weave through heavy traffic. All their braggadocio and fearless swagger seem to be only for unarmed civilians, or when they are manning check-points where they collect their direct deposits. It is funny how their usual investigative question to the robbery victim is “Who do you suspect?” Be careful who you make enemies with,

Many times I have switched lanes on the highway, because a van carrying policeman or members of the Rapid Response Squad are driving in front of me. That is because a policeman in the van had his AK47 rifle sitting idly on his lap with the nozzle pointed directly towards me and my windscreen. Accidental discharge no be crime.

What especially gets my goat, are officers who can’t speak proper English are able to quote verbatim, the rules and laws an offender has purportedly broken, and off course the penalties as well,

Click on this link for the rest: http://woahnigeria./2010/09/05/mr-officer-mr-officer/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

419 Scammers Use Genevieve Nnaji's Picture / Man who Totured The Girl In d Viral Video By Flogging Has Been Captured (video) / Fulani Herdsmen Vs Ogun State Villagers At War !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.