Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,113 members, 7,835,755 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown (1463 Views)

Boards: Obi Kicks As Tinubu Offers Opposition Govs Slots / Rivers State On Lockdown, All Borders Closed Over Coronavirus / Operation Second Eleven: Nigerian Army Prepares For Lockdown Over Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by Africonji: 5:16pm On Mar 29, 2020
https://punchng.com/peter-obi-kicks-over-coronavirus-lockdown/

Anthony Okafor

A former Governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi, has warned against locking down the country over coronavirus scare, without alternative arrangements to cushion the effects of such action on the masses.

He said whilst all possible measures should be deployed to stop the spread of COVID-19, appropriate measures should be put in place to mitigate the suffering of the vulnerable in society.

In a statement by his Media Adviser, Valentine Obienyem, Obi, who was the vice presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2019 election, said markets and other business ventures should not be closed to further impoverish the poor.

He said,” There are several millions of our populace who are unemployed. Their means of livelihood depends on daily income which the present situation will definitely worsen.”

He noted that in locking down the country, such vulnerable people should be factored into government plans, as was the case in other countries, by putting measures in place to cushion the effects of the lockdown on them.

Obi, who expressed gratitude for the efforts of some political leaders, captains of industry and corporate bodies, urged the Federal Government to do more to mitigate the situation, especially for poor Nigerians, as being witnessed in other climes.

He added, “It would be counter-productive to keep only the elite in mind when taking such far-reaching decisions as closing down markets without having some cushioning measures for the traders.”

He enjoined politicians, especially legislators, to go back to their constituencies to be with their people at a time like this.

“This is the time to be with your people in your various constituencies,” Obi said.

He said it did not make any sense for politicians to be observing the stay-at-home in various places outside their constituencies at this trying time, instead of being with their constituents to help their people to find solutions to their problems and challenges.

Obi said that by being in their constituencies to monitor the situation, the elected leaders will be in a position not only to support their people in time of need, but to also properly advise government on how to address the fallouts of government policies.

He called on leaders of all segments of society to make sacrifices and show commitment at this critical period in the country’s history.

Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by NaijaRoyalty(m): 5:18pm On Mar 29, 2020
Peter Obi and Atiku , Good president and vice Nigeria never had .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by AtikuNetwork: 5:22pm On Mar 29, 2020
I may not be a supporter of Wike's overbearing and dictatorial tendencies in PDP, but I will have to support his and other governor's commendable decision to lockdown their states for some weeks to slow the spread of the virus. That is the only realistic thing to do at the moment. Peter Obi is just trying to sound politically correct as usual. Only healthy people that are alive can make an economy. If COVID-19 kills every single person in Nigeria there will be no economy to talk about. The health and wellbeing of Nigerians should come first.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 29, 2020
Markets and supermarkets and farms should not be closed... it would breed hyperinflation..

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by AtikuNetwork: 5:25pm On Mar 29, 2020
Esseite:
Markets and supermarkets should not be closed... it would breed hyperinflation..

I can understand supermarkets (that is if they observe social distancing), but not our open markets in Nigeria please. Open markets will spread the virus like wild fire because it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to enforce social distancing in such big markets. Knowing how stubborn Nigerians can be.
Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by johnmartus(m): 5:36pm On Mar 29, 2020
I still don't understand why this man always irritating me anytime his name mention.

And the problem is that he will never make good points. Always uttering nonsense sound unintelligent everywhere. Seriously I don't know how he managed to become governor ,well I don't blame him I just realized the state he came from . They will rather vote stupid people like Peter obi rather sane people.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by chozzy: 5:39pm On Mar 29, 2020
Nigeria has capacity to credit each of the 40m BVN account holder with
#30k monthly upkeep allowance for the next six months.

It should not all be about lock down or shut down.
FG should should reallocate capital budget to reimburse
citizens for high cost of food items. Nigerians are suffering !

Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by festacman(m): 6:08pm On Mar 29, 2020
Esseite:
Markets and supermarkets should not be closed... it would breed hyperinflation..

Markets that draw crowd of traders, customers, porters and pickpockets should be closed to avoid 'hyper number of deaths'

Lets be careful about this Covid-19. It kills like wildfire burns vegetation. That's the experience presently in Italy, spain, New York, etc.
Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by Salvador1: 6:17pm On Mar 29, 2020
johnmartus:
I still don't understand why this man always irritating me anytime his name mention.

And the problem is that he will never make good points. Always uttering nonsense sound unintelligent everywhere. Seriously I don't know how he managed to become governor ,well I don't blame him I just realized the state he came from . They will rather vote stupid people like Peter obi rather sane people.

1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by edoairways: 6:28pm On Mar 29, 2020
AtikuNetwork:
I may not be a supporter of Wike's overbearing and dictatorial tendencies in PDP, but I will have to support his and other governor's commendable decision to lockdown their states for some weeks to slow the spread of the virus. That is the only realistic thing to do at the moment. Peter Obi is just trying to sound politically correct as usual. Only healthy people that are alive can make an economy. If COVID-19 kills every single person in Nigeria there will be no economy to talk about. The health and wellbeing of Nigerians should come first.
Peter Obi is right on thing. At the moment there is no light in many cities, towns and villages, unemployment is high, no potable water etc. You expect people to be looking at the ceiling. Many persons haven't received salaries, the price of foodstuffs are high. The only compensation from this government is N20 reduction is PMS
Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:42pm On Mar 29, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Peter Obi and Atiku , Good president and vice Nigeria never had .

U people never learn
Giving people like Atiku and Buhari the chance to rule just shows you approve of their character, coz at your age you should know people don't change
Re: Peter Obi Kicks Over Coronavirus Lockdown by duro4chang(m): 8:21pm On Mar 29, 2020
Playing politics with lives of people . What positive steps has he taken?

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Leaders Threaten Boycott Of 2023 Polls / . / BREAKING: WTO Keeps Okonjo-iweala, Drops Three Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.