Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,297 members, 7,815,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness (7357 Views)

Time To Probe The Corruption In EEDC As 50 Communities Are Thrown Into Darkness! / Phcn Throws President Jonathan Into Darkness / How Pchn Has Been Throwing Ikorodu Into Darkness For The Past 3 Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by DrKnow1(m): 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

Two months running - there was constant electricity in my area in Abuja. Very constant, if it goes off- within the minute, it will be restored, and I guessed so many other parts of Nigeria experienced same. When this was happening, none of the people here came forward to start a thread praising GEJ or PHCN, but suddenly, there is a techinal fault and people begin to write heavy English and crying how their money had been stolen. Na wa for Naija people. Abeg, chop chill pill and let things work out. People are not sleeping as you want everyone here to believe.
I don't agree with your comment. When so much has been spent on the attempt to increase the capacity of power generation, the people are entitled to complain when things do not change. It is because people like you have been kept in darkness for so long that has affected your sense of normal situation. So when you have some hours of continous supply of power you are over the moon and think the phcn has ahieved a milestone feat.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by ahidjo: 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2010
[size=15pt]THE TRUTH[/size]

A God forsaken Nation totally failed in all aspects of national life. This is a country where the worst and the most unintelligent lead the rest of the nation, yet most of the led go to town singing the praises of the their incompetent leaders. This is a country that has no consequence for anything bad and no rewards for doing good. This is a country that people are never sacked for not doing what they are paid to do. This is a country where people abandon the legitimate duties, embrace fraud but they are never sacked. This is a country where leaders pay lip services to doing good things (they have been doing this since independence) and the citizens do absolutely nothing about them. This foolishness will definitely continue in this country until we change our incompetent and iniquitous ways
Serious countries have timelines within which any job is performed, failing which people entrusted with such responsibilities resign or are fired-No excuses: serious countries have no time for excuses. It’s either you perform within the allotted time or quit. Not in Nigeria where the same incompetent and fraudulent people are left to continue doing a job they have no solution to and people wait for miracles to happen or as usual call for divine intervention. In serious countries, every worker (senior or junior) has a supervisor that oversees what the worker does on daily basis and the supervisor makes daily, weekly, monthly and annual reports. It will not take 8 years (as Obasanjo wasted) to figure out that a person or group is not doing what they are paid to do.  Tel l me how many people that have being fired in Nigeria for the various security lapses that are evident in Nigeria daily. How many people have being fired for the inability to fix the electricity problems in Nigeria? It is about responsibility. People are employed because they can solve problems. If they fail to solve the problems, the employer looks elsewhere for solutions. How many people have being arrested for pocketing the billions of Naira meant for power projects since 1999. From all indications, Nigeria as a country need to start employing foreigners as workers in Nigeria since an average Nigerian knows only how to defraud government and are largely incompetent. If United States of America with all their sophistication can employ thousands of Nigerians in many sensitive positions, I see no reason why we cannot do same. Nothing, I mean nothing will change even in the next 50 years if we continue with this same method and system we have been using since independence that has never worked
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by koruji(m): 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2010
@Ma_J_Blige
Very interesting! There were actually threads started here on NL praising GEJ for the change in power supply. So you got that wrong. Even if nobody praised him the default should be constant electricity, as long as people pay for it. When you can't supply it then you ought to expect complains - that is the way it should work.

On the "constant electricity" that you and many Nigerian cities have being receiving, where did this come from. For the answer you have to consider that over this entire period the power supply capacity had not improved considerably. So where did the new "constant power" come from? Well, GEJ & his advisers put in place a strategy that is not obvious to most Nigerians. Although he hinted at it, the ordinary man would not realize what is going on.

Basically, your "constant electricity" in Lagos, Abuja and other big cities was from a rob Peter to pay Paul strategy. Supply of electricity to smaller towns and villages were reduced, and directed to these big cities. At the time, I felt like pointing out that this is the strategy & criticizing it but realized it is actually a [size=14pt]GOOD SHORT-TERM strategy. You feed the cities that have the highest value per unit of electricity. The problem is that it is only a SHORT-TERM strategy. However, GEJ started talking as if this constituted a sustainable strategy, and that is the source of the frustration.[/size]

Ma_J_Blige:

Two months running - there was constant electricity in my area in Abuja. Very constant, if it goes off- within the minute, it will be restored, and I guessed so many other parts of Nigeria experienced same. When this was happening, none of the people here came forward to start a thread praising GEJ or PHCN, but suddenly, there is a techinal fault and people begin to write heavy English and crying how their money had been stolen. Na wa for Naija people. Abeg, chop chill pill and let things work out. People are not sleeping as you want everyone here to believe.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by otokx(m): 7:16pm On Dec 30, 2010
Most of the city of Port Harcourt has been in darkness since 3 days now
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by mhm(m): 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2010
Dr Know:

I don't agree with your comment. When so much has been spent on the attempt to increase the capacity of power generation, the people are entitled to complain when things do not change. It is because people like you have been kept in darkness for so long that has affected your sense of normal situation. So when you have some hours of continous supply of power you are over the moon and think the phcn has ahieved a milestone feat.

True talk, i almost puked yesterday watching the launching of the Youth Summit at Abuja. someone actually referred to GEJ as Saint Jonathan, on national TV. I am not hating on GEJ but seriously Saint

If you go to Abuja, you see so many DG's , Directors, Ministers being consistently praised for doing nothing of visible value to Nigeria
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by PastorOla1: 9:30pm On Dec 30, 2010
PHCN the more u look the less u see & understand
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Kobojunkie: 9:30pm On Dec 30, 2010
otokx:

Most of the city of Port Harcourt has been in darkness since 3 days now

The country has been averaging about 2400MW of electricity for the past 3 or so years. The demand is probably about 10 times of that or more. Na only you wan enjoy electricity ? Make other people get their turn now.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by invisible2(m): 9:42pm On Dec 30, 2010
Light has been restored in Enugu.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by GeorgeD1(m): 10:11pm On Dec 30, 2010
up phcn! grin
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by jambya(m): 10:49pm On Dec 30, 2010
I hope these people are not trying to put the entire country in the dark as a result of d privatization the Federal Government have been proclaiming since the last 3-4months? Anyway, whateva they like, they can do, all I know is, they are going anytime soon. Bye NEPA, PHCN be prepared.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nsiman(m): 11:30pm On Dec 30, 2010
Was it obj that was the pillar of phcn? Obj collapse, phcn collapse. Lol
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by zoraro(m): 11:34pm On Dec 30, 2010
I heard from a source that the Chief expatriate engineer in Egbin was electrocuted when trying to solve the problem some days ago. This may be why there is a delay in restoring power.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nsiman(m): 11:47pm On Dec 30, 2010
@ zoraro, i was expecting to hear this b4 now, because this guys can switch off/restore light more than 10 times within 15mins.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by zoraro(m): 12:04am On Dec 31, 2010
Nsiman:

@ zoraro, i was expecting to hear this b4 now, because this guys can switch off/restore light more than 10 times within 15mins.

At least, it's better than now that we have had just about total 2 hours of power for the past 3/4 days here in some part of Lagos metropolis.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Mehiedu(m): 1:38am On Dec 31, 2010
They changed name from NEPA to PHCN yet nothing to show 4 anything.God will deliver PHCN in Nigeria.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by BetaThings: 4:54am On Dec 31, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

Sorry, we never experienced that type of miracle in Lagos. And not everyone will have that experience until GEJ can push generation well above 10,000MW. If he is just maintaining the same 3,600MW that he inherited, why must he be praised? The fact that a technical fault can cause this problem exposes the illogicality of the fulsome praise previously heaped on Johnathan. There is no room for error. How much has he added to generation. Has he stopped importing petrol? See the amount of noise he has made about stabilising fuel supply.

In April this year, Jakumo started a thread, praising Johnathan for solving for ever the power problem in Nigeria. After only 2 months of being acting President? That is a miracle only a prophet can accomplish. But people started saying no it is true etc like you are doing now. And when people keep on saying things that you know are not true, it becomes difficult to even listen when they tell the truth

Forgive me, but you are wrong in thinking that Johnathan is different from the others. He is being in PDP for so long. He is beholden to so many that he can hardly afford to upset the existing order. Eg what can he do to Anenih. Now we hear that Sambo is meeting with the Chinese to sell Olorunsogo and Omotosho power plants to the Chinese. Why? The Nigerian Engineers cannot read the manual because it is written in Chinese! This is the action proposed by a government headed by a PhD holder. No matter how stupid Johnathan is, that cannot be the reason. They just want to raise money.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-433272.0.html

This is what Johnathan promised
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-402020.0.html
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by powerblaze(m): 6:27am On Dec 31, 2010
up nepa!
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nobody: 7:30am On Dec 31, 2010
so phcn started their strike ahead of time
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by chukxy44(m): 7:38am On Dec 31, 2010
In my area, Na Generator everywhere too bad, in fact if not for so many I better pass my neighbour Gen set way dey make noise you for tink say na NEPA we dey use.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by AjanleKoko: 7:48am On Dec 31, 2010
The only problem I see with Jonathan is that he's a bit too naive and eager to impress.
Is there no minister for power that's expected to make these pronouncements, or even take these decisions and report to Johnny? Sounds like our guy is being set up to look like a complete idiot.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by MaJBlige(f): 7:50am On Dec 31, 2010
BetaThings:

Sorry, we never experienced that type of miracle in Lagos. And not everyone will have that experience until GEJ can push generation well above 10,000MW. If he is just maintaining the same 3,600MW that he inherited, why must he be praised? The fact that a technical fault can cause this problem exposes the illogicality of the fulsome praise previously heaped on Johnathan. There is no room for error. How much has he added to generation. Has he stopped importing petrol? See the amount of noise he has made about stabilising fuel supply.

In April this year, Jakumo started a thread, praising Johnathan for solving for ever the power problem in Nigeria. After only 2 months of being acting President? That is a miracle only a prophet can accomplish. But people started saying no it is true etc like you are doing now. And when people keep on saying things that you know are not true, it becomes difficult to even listen when they tell the truth

Forgive me, but you are wrong in thinking that Johnathan is different from the others. He is being in PDP for so long. He is beholden to so many that he can hardly afford to upset the existing order. Eg what can he do to Anenih. Now we hear that Sambo is meeting with the Chinese to sell Olorunsogo and Omotosho power plants to the Chinese. Why? The Nigerian Engineers cannot read the manual because it is written in Chinese! This is the action proposed by a government headed by a PhD holder. No matter how silly Johnathan is, that  cannot be the reason. They just want to raise money. 

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-433272.0.html

This is what Johnathan promised
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-402020.0.html

Too much English, but at the end of the day, nothing meaningful has been said. Where did you get my thinking from? You stay behind your computer, and tell people their thinking? How do you know my thinking about Jonathan? I hate people who think they know better than others. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine, fine, but never you attempt to think for me.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by MaJBlige(f): 7:53am On Dec 31, 2010
koruji:

@Ma_J_Blige
Very interesting! There were actually threads started here on NL praising GEJ for the change in power supply. So you got that wrong. Even if nobody praised him the default should be constant electricity, as long as people pay for it. When you can't supply it then you ought to expect complains - that is the way it should work.

On the "constant electricity" that you and many Nigerian cities have being receiving, where did this come from. For the answer you have to consider that over this entire period the power supply capacity had not improved considerably. So where did the new "constant power" come from? Well, GEJ & his advisers put in place a strategy that is not obvious to most Nigerians. Although he hinted at it, the ordinary man would not realize what is going on.

Basically, your "constant electricity" in Lagos, Abuja and other big cities was from a rob Peter to pay Paul strategy. Supply of electricity to smaller towns and villages were reduced, and directed to these big cities. At the time, I felt like pointing out that this is the strategy & criticizing it but realized it is actually a [b][size=14pt]GOOD SHORT-TERM strategy. You feed the cities that have the highest value per unit of electricity. The problem is that it is only a SHORT-TERM strategy. However, GEJ started talking as if this constituted a sustainable strategy, and that is the source of the frustration.[/b][/size]

Where is your proof to the bolded?
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by MaJBlige(f): 7:56am On Dec 31, 2010
Dr Know:

Who cares?
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 31, 2010
D problem of nigeria is hydra-headed. Nigerians shy away from d truth. Divide nigeria into north and south and see d problem solved
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by BetaThings: 9:02am On Dec 31, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

Too much English, but at the end of the day, nothing meaningful has been said. Where did you get my thinking from? You stay behind your computer, and tell people their thinking? How do you know my thinking about Jonathan? I hate people who think they know better than others. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine, fine, but never you attempt to think for me.

Maybe it is meaningful for you to tell us that because you were having electricity in Abuja,and in your words I guessed so many other parts of Nigeria experienced same people should have been praising GEJ and Johnathan who in your words are not sleeping as you want everyone here to believe.who were working rather than sleeping. even if in fact they did not experience that. And maybe it is not meaningful that people had overpraised Johnathan more than you expected. And finally it is not meaningful that Johnathan promised 6,000mw and we should start praising maintaining 3,600mw

I would not even bother to think for people but when a snake rattles, it is just noise, but we know what it means. Of course by all means, you are entitled to all your views before and after my posts.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 31, 2010
@Ma J Blige, calm down, your blood dey hot. Dr. Know, Koruji and Betathings are not trying to attack you as a human being, they are merely pointing out the errors in your logic. It is necessary they do so, because impressionable minds read all our posts and its imperative they perceive the right info so that one day they may add their own contribution to the country.

Please, also don't think they are trying to forcefully impress their views on you.

I believe as an adult, you would understand if i add my own correction to your comment. Your 'guess' that other parts of the nation had the same two months of near-constant power as Abuja is wrong. I was in Abuja for a week during this time and know they had power, but after spending time in Lagos and Anambra i know the occurrence was far from nationwide.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by otokx(m): 11:49am On Dec 31, 2010
Power has been restored in Port Harcourt
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by GeorgeD1(m): 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
we should all invest in cartons of candlesticks so that next time the grid collapses again, we'll not be caught napping. at least we'll have candles nearby to light our way! grin
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Reference(m): 12:50pm On Dec 31, 2010
He, he, he. Una no read the one for yesterday 'Punsh'. Gofme wan sell Olorunsogo and Omotosho for buyout deal to Chinco. Wetin hapan. Workers for NEPA the leper no fit handle am. Dey say efritin dey write am for chinco so when chinco write 'off' leper go put am 'on', when chinco say 'up' leper gown push am 'dowm' and the plant wan dabaru.  grin grin grin.

Messed up government run by dummies. Kai, this country is a comedy series. Unfortunately the tickets are becoming unbecoming. Since coming in after the holidays a good part of my two days spent in Lagos has been between the gas station, the generator and the change over switch. Wishing you guys the best o!!
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nsiman(m): 2:10pm On Dec 31, 2010
This phcn of a thing, i'm expecting worst shld the F.G sell out some ipp to chinese/foreign firms. We are the consumers of their generators, and so they won't afford to improve on the power plants to the detrement of their generators. I know other consuming countries are there but ours is the #1
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 31, 2010
BLACK OUT HAS TURNED ALL NIGERIANS TO ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS, NOW EVEN OKADA MAN KNOWS WHAT MEGAWATT IS !!!!!

NUCLEAR POWER IS SOLUTION.

WITH NUCLEAR POWER - CHINA WILL NEVER SELL GENERATORS TO NIGERIA'S, DIESEL MEGA DEAL CORPORATIONS WONT MAKE MONEY, ASO ROCK WILL NEVER SEE A CHANNEL TO SIPHON MONEY. TELL ME, WHICH COUNTRY CAN SUCCESSFULLY INSTALL A NUCLEAR PLANT FOR US.

THAT COUNTRY MUST BE AN ENEMY OF CHINA OR A MAJOR COMPETITION
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by GeorgeD1(m): 6:34pm On Dec 31, 2010
this country is now one big dormitory no thanks to nepa. 10pm, lights out-everybody go to bed! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu's "Bala Blue" Incident : What Is Really Going On? / Pictures & Videos From Thursday's National Economic Council Meeting / Patience To Return Before September Ending

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.